Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I don't remember how much racism was in there but you might as well watch "End of Watch" since you've seen Bright and Training Day. The three movies are basically a David Ayer trilogy but they're all the exact same movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Don't leave out Street Kings.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Last Action Hero

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There was that Fox series Almost Human, if you consider an android close enough

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There was that Fox series Almost Human, if you consider an android close enough

Was that the one where someone invented a gun that fired bullets that would find your location by searching your social media posts

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the remake of Ocean's Eleven (the George Clooney one) but never watched Ocean's Twelve or Thirteen. I've put them on my list now so I'll get to them eventually. But I'm curious about another sequel I haven't seen to a movie I really like: is there anything in it to make Be Cool worth watching?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked the remake of Ocean's Eleven (the George Clooney one) but never watched Ocean's Twelve or Thirteen. I've put them on my list now so I'll get to them eventually. But I'm curious about another sequel I haven't seen to a movie I really like: is there anything in it to make Be Cool worth watching?

The Rock is amazing in it, but that's about it.

Ocean's Twelve is hot garbage (one of the few movies that I've ever been actively angry about when leaving the theater) but Thirteen is pretty good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I ask because I watched Get Shorty again recently and had a lot of fun with it, and it's got me keen to go after similar crime movies with a kind of irreverent tone to them. The trouble is, I feel like I've watched most of them already.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Have you done the whole Elmore Leonard crime catalog

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I ask because I watched Get Shorty again recently and had a lot of fun with it, and it's got me keen to go after similar crime movies with a kind of irreverent tone to them. The trouble is, I feel like I've watched most of them already.

Oh, Ocean's Twelve is irreverent and I think is worth seeing just for the jaw-dropping audacity of ... well, you'll see. There's a direction one of the subplots goes that makes some people mad, some roll their eyes, some laugh. I wish I could have been in the writer's room when it came up.

I can't say it's a *good* movie but if you want something fun, silly, and generally entertaining then it's worth a watch.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Everyone watch all of Justified immediately

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

regulargonzalez posted:

Oh, Ocean's Twelve is irreverent and I think is worth seeing just for the jaw-dropping audacity of ... well, you'll see. There's a direction one of the subplots goes that makes some people mad, some roll their eyes, some laugh. I wish I could have been in the writer's room when it came up.

I can't say it's a *good* movie but if you want something fun, silly, and generally entertaining then it's worth a watch.

I enjoyed Twelve primarily because when I first watched it I had the "oh this is going to piss off so many people but it's so funny " reaction. Easily the least good of the trilogy but not bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The issue with Twelve is that the last ten minutes render the previous hour and a half pointless, because Danny did a wallhack.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

I've seen Get Shorty, Jackie Brown and Out of Sight.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've seen Get Shorty, Jackie Brown and Out of Sight.

Did you see Inherent Vice?

Based on Pynchon of all things, not Leonard but pretty good. Not sure if irreverent or just weird.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

Did you see Inherent Vice?

Based on Pynchon of all things, not Leonard but pretty good. Not sure if irreverent or just weird.

I haven't seen it, no, but I've been meaning to. I've only seen two Paul Thomas Anderson movies (Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood), both of which I thought were very good and lead me to assume that his other movies must also be very good, but for the most part the descriptions of their stories don't really interest me much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Besides The Rock it is worth it for Steven Tyler being terrible at playing Steven Tyler. Especially the part where John Travolta's character explains to him what he meant with a specific Aerosmith song, you know, one that he wrote.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 28, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I will say that Be Cool is a real piece of poo poo that relies on extremely tired *NOTICE HOW WE'RE BEING CLEVER HERE* dialogue and obvious, artless stereotypes for humor. What if a gangsta rapper... was a silly goofball! What if a big scary bodyguard... was just a big gay softy! What if Vince Vaughn... dressed like a cartoon pimp and said things like "man you trippin" "c'mon playa, stop hatin".

Just really dumb, and not in a fun way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it true that Spielberg was interested in directing the Harry Potter movies (or at least the first one) but he wanted Haley Joel Osment to play Harry and Rowling said no, he had to be British?

I feel like that would've been around the time he made A.I. so I feel like it sort of fits.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen it, no, but I've been meaning to. I've only seen two Paul Thomas Anderson movies (Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood), both of which I thought were very good and lead me to assume that his other movies must also be very good, but for the most part the descriptions of their stories don't really interest me much.

you should watch punch drunk love imo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is it true that Spielberg was interested in directing the Harry Potter movies (or at least the first one) but he wanted Haley Joel Osment to play Harry and Rowling said no, he had to be British?

I feel like that would've been around the time he made A.I. so I feel like it sort of fits.

Spielberg wasn't interested in doing a 1:1 adaptation and wanted to combine some of the books into a single animated movie.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Parachute posted:

you should watch punch drunk love imo

its the best movie of all time

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bows1 posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but then again I haven't watched it since it was in the theater. I'd agree that it's Sandlers best movie though.

BamBru
Jun 1, 2018

bows1 posted:

Let's not get carried away here that it is the best of all time. May be poll the community to get some insight perhaps?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Does anyone know anything about modern film distribution? I know some cats in the forum work on the biz but not knowing their specific fields I don't want to assume.

I'm just wondering why Blumhouse Tilt isn't being Upgrade to Canada. would Cineplex have been asking too much money for distribution, and considering it's small budget they distributor declined?

I know literally nothing about how distribution deals are made, and that's kind of my blanket question.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Enos Cabell posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but then again I haven't watched it since it was in the theater. I'd agree that it's Sandlers best movie though.

It’s subjectively my favorite is all.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

How dare you!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Human Tornada posted:

I will say that Be Cool is a real piece of poo poo that relies on extremely tired *NOTICE HOW WE'RE BEING CLEVER HERE* dialogue and obvious, artless stereotypes for humor. What if a gangsta rapper... was a silly goofball! What if a big scary bodyguard... was just a big gay softy! What if Vince Vaughn... dressed like a cartoon pimp and said things like "man you trippin" "c'mon playa, stop hatin".

Just really dumb, and not in a fun way.

Yeah it’s bad, but Christina Milan deserves credit for making the octogenarians of Aerosmith tolerable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is more a marketing question I guess. When Blade Runner 2049 came out last year it underperformed a bit compared to expectations. I remember a point maybe a few weeks after it came out and I started seeing ads for it A LOT online/social media. The ads were all very specifically saying to seen it to "FIND OUT WHY BLADE RUNNER IS THE WORLD'S #1 MOVIE!"

Anyway now I'm seeing the same thing with Solo, ads with like the exact same wording and everything like they just dropped Solo stuff into the "WORLD'S #1 MOVIE" template.

I guess my question is just, like, is that really so effective? Is it a common type of ad online now and I just happened to only notice it regardong these two flicks?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It was probably the best selling movie the first weekend it came out. Since almost no movie sells as many tickets the second weekend as the first it's not hard to be the number one film and still underperform depending what else came out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, the schedule is usually set so you don't get big budget films colliding too much. You can be the number 1 movie and still easily do disappointing box office business.

I hope 2049 eventually clawed back after worldwide release and home formats, because drat if that wasn't a great movie that deserved to make some cash.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

This is more a marketing question I guess. When Blade Runner 2049 came out last year it underperformed a bit compared to expectations. I remember a point maybe a few weeks after it came out and I started seeing ads for it A LOT online/social media. The ads were all very specifically saying to seen it to "FIND OUT WHY BLADE RUNNER IS THE WORLD'S #1 MOVIE!"

Anyway now I'm seeing the same thing with Solo, ads with like the exact same wording and everything like they just dropped Solo stuff into the "WORLD'S #1 MOVIE" template.

I guess my question is just, like, is that really so effective? Is it a common type of ad online now and I just happened to only notice it regardong these two flicks?

It's absolutely effective, that's why it's a popular tactic. Movie advertising isn't nearly as regulated as, say, financial services, which wound up getting hit with a ton of truth-in-advertising regulations after the savings & loan scandals in the '80s (so any bank, credit union, or other financial services company basically has to have a full-time compliance staff in order to make sure the marketing people don't get out of line with puffery or statements that can't be proven).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Facebook marketing and such is the top marketing because ya stupidly easy to hide that it’s a Ad.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, the schedule is usually set so you don't get big budget films colliding too much. You can be the number 1 movie and still easily do disappointing box office business.

I hope 2049 eventually clawed back after worldwide release and home formats, because drat if that wasn't a great movie that deserved to make some cash.

To be fair, there's never been a Blade Runner that performed to expectations, so it's not like they were surprised.

Dystopian sci-fi films just don't sell unless they include 8 foot tall blue people or Sigourney Weaver. Include both and you really break some records.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember talking to my dad about Blade Runner when the sequel came out (the original one is one of his all-time favourite movies) and he said he was very surprised that it got made at all, much less that it had apparently had so much money thrown behind it, because in his recollection the original wasn't a Star Wars level blockbuster by any means and was always more of a cult film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember talking to my dad about Blade Runner when the sequel came out (the original one is one of his all-time favourite movies) and he said he was very surprised that it got made at all, much less that it had apparently had so much money thrown behind it, because in his recollection the original wasn't a Star Wars level blockbuster by any means and was always more of a cult film.

His recollection wasn't wrong; Blade Runner made about $34 million at the box office and had hugely mixed reviews when it came out, largely praised for its design and visual effects but not much else. It started to get reassessed when the Director's Cut hit first laserdisc and then DVD, which is when it really began to be seen as a classic.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

This show was pure anti-comedy in that unique hanna barbara way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Penpal posted:

Does anyone know anything about modern film distribution? I know some cats in the forum work on the biz but not knowing their specific fields I don't want to assume.

I'm just wondering why Blumhouse Tilt isn't being Upgrade to Canada. would Cineplex have been asking too much money for distribution, and considering it's small budget they distributor declined?

I know literally nothing about how distribution deals are made, and that's kind of my blanket question.

Yes, a bit. Each territory has a distributor.(With studios it's the same distributor, ie the studio, worldwide). Sometimes Canada and the US are the same territory, sometimes different. The distributor licenses the film to a theatre like Cineplex. Mounting a theatrical run is expensive; you have to pay what's called P&A - prints and advertising. That includes costs of physically getting the film to theatres (what used to be film but is now digital drives) and, more so, advertising it. Advertising can cost hundreds of thousands even for small films, and millions and millions for big ones. They probably decided that the cost of spending P&A was not worth the benefit that a theatrical run in Canada would bring.