Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
The OP deleted his account, post, and replies and the mods already locked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Slather mustard on pizza.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The toxic Citizen problem is ancient at this point. CIG devs and devs at other studios read about the Jeffrey McArthur story and we’re horrified.

But rather than try to use the Community Management team to change the discourse, CIG leadership just :argh:’d at Goons for pointing out the problem.

quote:

If you think your biggest enemies are trolls or goons, or your biggest problems are making sure you delete any incriminating evidence you left behind on some old video archive your backers paid for, you really aren't paying close enough attention.

Your biggest enemies-- particularly right now-- are the toxic zealots who have already backed your game and, in absence of a game to play, have decided to role play as Riot Cops beating down anybody who looks askew at their beloved (fictive) super-game. This pattern repeats daily in more places than any of us can count. On Twitter, Youtube comments, Facebook pages, Gaming Media article comments, Reddit, and elsewhere.

Where did they learn and perfect this odious art, you wonder? Why, the RSI forums, of course!

CIG isn’t to blame for all of it obviously but they’ve done nothing whatsoever to try to change it either. Deep down, they love their psychotic defenders.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

G0RF posted:

CIG isn’t to blame for all of it obviously but they’ve done nothing whatsoever to try to change it either. Deep down, they love their psychotic defenders.

They are completely to blame. By their own words and actions they have fostered their shithole community.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I think there are a lot of shitheads in that community that are going to be shitheads regardless. That being said, Chris Roberts went out of his way to publicly slam Derek Smart and the Escapist and other entities for daring to speak negatively about the game, and fostered the "us vs. them" mentality that the community has latched onto. The community will blindly parrot Roberts's talking points to the letter as they venture out in their Defense Squad activities. The community was always going to be poo poo, but Roberts and the rest of the CIG leadership definitely cultivated that even further, and they definitely have some responsibility in what it's become.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Once you realise one of the side effects of cocaine abuse is paranoia, Chris' letter to the Escapist starts making a lot more sense.

In fact, go read up on all the side effects of cocaine abuse and everything about this shitshow will start making a lot more sense.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

There’s shitheads in every gaming community for sure. Dare I say it we’ve even had a couple here. The difference is CIG, under Bens careful guidance, fostered and fueled the toxicity in their community to the point where open intimidation seems fine to them.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
jesus we were just talking about sidalpha on the argcast

gently caress anyone that sends threats like that, I hope they get found and prosecuted

just fuckin disgusting

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

XK posted:

I was turned on to a love for salt & vinegar chips nearly three decades ago, and never found one that was really just right. Lay's Dill Pickle are the closest I've ever found.
Kettle brand salt and vinegar are great.

Kettle Sweet Onion is even better though.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grubby Hobo posted:

Octopusseseses are pretty gross. The Spanish knew what they were doing when they called them "pulpo."

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually they own, hth

Little known fact, but in Spanish Pulpo means Octopus.

We just call them Polp.

Suckers are adorable.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pash posted:

I can't wait to get my multi customer room going where each person fills a certain roll, like bathroom operations and moping. I can't wait to get all my customer organization friends together in the same room.

You're in luck because the moping mechanic is one they've been working on in earnest and will be out soon... two weeks!

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah but can they get out of their chairs? I didn't think so :smuggo:

They can if they have VR...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Titanic posted:

You better take that back. I fought the ender dragon and won and after 6000 hours I was able to afford my in game house, that looks like an electric ball sack, full of goblins armed with laser rifles.

That game is pure Ultima and you can't saw it in the Star Citizen thread, you better mosey on over to the SotA thread and join in.

I, too, learned how to slap one texture onto a 3d Model taken from an anonymous source on the internet with only about ten minutes of training in Maya 3D.

What I'm saying is I am a game developer, ima

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

Little known fact, but in Spanish Pulpo means Octopus.

We just call them Polp.

Suckers are adorable.

I caught one while freediving here once and although I think you can technically take and eat them I was gonna go stuff him in a hole in a reef but I couldn't get him to let go of my hand. I ended up sitting in the kayak with my hand in the water for like 20 minutes while he chilled there, and now we're best friends.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I, too, learned how to slap one texture onto a 3d Model taken from an anonymous source on the internet with only about ten minutes of training in Maya 3D.

Yeah, that is an embarrassment. At least the "ghost" cat could be played off as clever.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I caught one while freediving here once and although I think you can technically take and eat them I was gonna go stuff him in a hole in a reef but I couldn't get him to let go of my hand. I ended up sitting in the kayak with my hand in the water for like 20 minutes while he chilled there, and now we're best friends.

That's a classic hentai prologue.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

"Crobbler had to take a poo poo on a public bus. He was helping raise awareness of unhygienic standards in public transportation, and a visionary name like his really helps draw attention to the problem. This is a good thing."

"Crobbler was helping those kids when he pushed them off the cliff. This is a good thing for their parents! Now they have more money to spend on Star Citizen!"

"It's a really good thing the Crobbler stole my cancer medication and traded it in for meth for Sandi. It really helped me understand the pain people without medication endure. Crobbler's vision made me more empathetic!"

...the bear's paw curls

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Golli posted:

I heard some guys at Denny's saying they were planning to barge in on suites without sufficient security and teach the occupants about "the natural consequences of squatting" - whatever that means.

I just want to carry luggage and explore the grounds. I think you should conduct aggressive security checks on prospective tenants and pre-emptively imprison those whose past behavior is deemed inappropriate.

At least that's the way I see it.

Scruffpuff posted:

In this living breathing universe hotel, other people might be inclined to making the noise when other "occupants" are trying to sleep, or engage in behavior where noise is not something other people in the hotel should necessarily be "forced into" against their will.

Will there be, for those "people", a policing of the hotel so those occupants who are "sleeping" or wish to engage in non-noisy activity can do so on their own terms?

B'tak's peculiar phraseology has become an occasional part of my own internal monologue, which is almost certainly indicative of profound mental illness on my part.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But are you that Kazan ?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Nyast posted:

But are you that Kazan ?

Based on his resume, it looks like he is the new Senior Art Director at Cloud Imperium Properties Pty Ltd, GmbH

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nyast posted:

But are you that Kazan ?

I'm not only that Kazan, but I'm also THE Kazan

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Way to stay classy, /r/starcitizen

:allears:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm not only that Kazan, but I'm also THE Kazan

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is the side of the community I hope gets to be hurt the most when their cult fetish video game turns out to either be poo poo, a fraud, shut down, or sued into oblivion and stuck in litigation hell forever.

It's sad, not just because they are fans of Star Citizen, but that they are fellow human beings saying this stuff to other human beings over something as ridiculously stupid as a video game that's barely even that.

This is the worst community and I hope they suffer for being bad people. :(

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Guess some you tubers feel safe about talking about this stuff now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYQhg9LVdys

Small guy YongYea reporting on the "legatus" pack and is in that "they are charging HOW much?" stage of discovery in regards to the 'game'.

He is not pleased, probably will be less pleased when he gets the obligatory death/rape threats.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Golli posted:

Went to lunch with my boss one day.

We had sushi. He had never had sushi, but he was game.

He ate all of his sushi. After all the sushi was gone, he declared "Hey this is pretty good. What's this? Avocado?" and proceeded to pop the entire mound of wasabi into his mouth before anyone could answer.

We all had a good laugh as his entire skull turned bright red and large drops of sweat streamed from his scalp and forehead (he's bald).

Once he recovered - he said "I guess not."

My dad once thought some hardcore homemade Russian horseradish was applesauce at a potluck and ate a huge spoonful, hilarity ensued

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
https://youtu.be/MYQhg9LVdys

YouTuber yongyea chimes in on the 27k ship pack.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/SidAlpha/status/1004447599691120640
https://twitter.com/SidAlpha/status/1004465719960977413
https://twitter.com/SidAlpha/status/1004467109051621376
https://twitter.com/SidAlpha/status/1004466098547224577
https://twitter.com/ogevanswachtz/status/1004492220903448577
https://twitter.com/ogevanswachtz/status/1004490517386756096

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

There’s shitheads in every gaming community for sure. Dare I say it we’ve even had a couple here. The difference is CIG, under Bens careful guidance, fostered and fueled the toxicity in their community to the point where open intimidation seems fine to them.

This I completely agree with. And we know Ben did that with Sandi’s blessing, as she was always a fan of totalitarian jackboot tactics in the defense of the company.

“Who doesn’t want to silence doubters?”, she asked Beer in the now infamous emails. And silencing doubters is what the worst of the community have long tried to do, on the RSI forums, on Reddit, and on CIG friendly outposts.

Reputationally, the worst of the lot have come to define the whole of the lot. I have talked to and interacted with a lot of friendly citizens. Genuinely nice people who aren’t remotely like the stereotypes. They are in fact all over. But it doesn’t matter because the extremists have — with CIG’s tacit approval — become the shorthand for the citizenry at large.

Outsiders can feed into this and surely do. It’s impossible, even for a company that cares very much about community management, to control it all. So that’s what I mean by saying it can’t ALL be attritbuted.

That CIG cares not at all and takes some satisfaction from the boundless loyalties of the fast and furious defense force has lead to the reputation all citizens are now tainted by. “It filters from the top”, as they say, and it’s poisoned everything below it so far as the outside gaming community is concern.

Take a bow, Sandi, Ben, Lando and Co. You’ve earned it!

:sandance::sandance::sandance:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/ogevanswachtz/status/1004491930485616640

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Gejnor posted:

Guess some you tubers feel safe about talking about this stuff now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYQhg9LVdys

Small guy YongYea reporting on the "legatus" pack and is in that "they are charging HOW much?" stage of discovery in regards to the 'game'.

He is not pleased, probably will be less pleased when he gets the obligatory death/rape threats.

YongYea is on my recommendeds every day, has a half-million subscribers, and is growing fast. SC is going mainstream negative.

That stream clip someone posted the other day, with 13k viewers, where someone asked the guy's opinion on SC, the chatbox blew up with a flood of "scam citizen" and mocking emotes at the mere mention.

Word is out, blood is in the water.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Please don't doxx me or Derek Smart

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1004461991984066560
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1004464096970989568
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1004476783914299392
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1004476783914299392

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

good news everyone, ben is still employed by CIG and he is now in charge of the subscriber only news letter!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"we aren't all like that, but also maybe you're at fault for not understanding game development," I write online without loving realizing how goddamn insensitive and stupid I am

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

good news everyone, ben is still employed by CIG and he is now in charge of the subscriber only news letter!
lol

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

“Perhaps you’re letting things get under your skin a little too easily?”

:vince::vince::vince:

What the hell, Tark? If random people threatening to sexually assault your child doesn’t get under your skin, you’re either absolute human garbage or you have no skin.