Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Bullets and trains aren’t sci-fi, on their own. What is the film saying about guns and trains?

With L3, you at least have the sub-Chappie joke where Kira apologizes to L3’s soul - the discarded, dead person - before ripping out a chunk of her brain. So, unlike Lando (and whoever runs the Star Wars promotional Twitter), Kira recognizes that the Navicomputer is not L3.
I half expected you to praise this one solely because it actually engages with droid slavery and the idea that the spaceships are alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dishwasher posted:

This is mainly what I dislike. Many people thought of Luke as the hero of heroes, especially if you count the old EU. While he redeemed himself, it'd be nice if he had another movie to be a solid warrior of justice and not a sad sack. But then again, I guess he shouldn't have hosed up like he did. It's a shame, if very realistic to how life is. People gently caress up and end up stuck in lovely places and it doesn't matter 'what' your name is when that happens.

Space Edit: It really was a brave place to take the storyline and RJ had to know he'd get poo poo on his face for it. I feel like all the angst for TLJ will be forgiven if IX sticks the landing even somewhat adequately. Even if that means making something boring and derivative as a chaser.

rian johnson was just dealing the hand already dealt to him; the way TFA goes already necessitates that the OT protagonists ultimately failed

RJ does deserve credit for dealing with that setup how he did though

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

I half expected you to praise this one solely because it actually engages with droid slavery and the idea that the spaceships are alive.

Yeah but it also indicates that the Kessel Run actually happened and Han didn't just make it up so

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Dishwasher posted:

I feel like all the angst for TLJ will be forgiven if IX sticks the landing even somewhat adequately.

We both know that's not going to happen

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

rian johnson was just dealing the hand already dealt to him; the way TFA goes already necessitates that the OT protagonists ultimately failed

I think the reason I haven't been put off by it is because I read too much Star Wars tie-in stuff when I was a teenager and nearly all of it relies on that premise. :v:

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the reason I haven't been put off by it is because I read too much Star Wars tie-in stuff when I was a teenager and nearly all of it relies on that premise. :v:

No it didn't. I read all of the Banthem era novels, the Dark Horse comics, and even some of the later Del Rey stuff and the heroes never became failed losers like they do in the new films. They had set backs and had to overcome obstacles sometimes even dealt with bleak poo poo but they were still the mostly optimistic group from the original trilogy and eventually they overcame all that bullshit.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Zoran posted:

What does Ben Solo's fall say? We can tell that it is bad to listen to scary evil wizards, and that sometimes good people mess up or don’t raise their kids right, but is there anything more than that?
Ben's kind of a mirror image of OT Luke. Luke was never particularly ideological; he has a vague hatred of the Empire, which by itself isn't enough to actually push him to do anything, and it's a combination of personal tragedy and trying to live up to an idealized version of his father that actually drives him to fight against them. We never hear Luke speaking about freedom or democracy or anything like that, whenever he talks about his motivations it always comes back to his father. Luke's story is about establishing his identity, particularly his identity in relation to Anakin - trying to follow in the footsteps of the idealized version of him as a Jedi, and avoiding becoming the actual version of him as Vader.

I see a lot of that in Ben too. Ben is also in a search for identity, which is defined in large part by his relationship with his parents, both biological and parental figures (Luke, Snoke). In regards to Leia and Han, he goes the opposite direction that Luke did, trying to distance himself from them as much as possible. In TFA, he's changed his name, identifies more with (an idealized version of) his grandfather, tries to kill his parents, and is pretty much defined entirely by his opposition to the trappings of "Ben Solo". As expected, this does very little to actually give him any real sense of purpose or identity, which is where he's at as of the beginning of TLJ.

Where Luke just sort of had a vague apathy towards ideology, but still stuck to the side of liberal democracy, Ben is constantly changing what he identifies with. in TLJ alone, he goes from "be a good follower of the First Order" to "tear down the First Order" to "lead the First Order". He doesn't really seem to believe too strongly in any of those (although I don't think it's accidental that his "gently caress all this" speech is by far his most sincere), they're just more identities he adopts while continuing to be mainly motivated by personal connections and a need to find a place for himself that isn't just "son/follower of X". And the thing that I think makes his character interesting is that none of it works for him. He will always have that hole inside, because everything he's doing is in opposition to someone else and not actually something he wants to accomplish for himself. That's what separates him from Luke (well, besides Luke picking liberal democracy to side with and Ben picking genocidal fascist cosplayers). Luke found something he wanted to work for - becoming the ideal version of his father. Ben only has things he wants to fight against, and since all those things are such integral parts of himself, it's also a weird sort of self-hatred, and it prevents him from ever being satisfied. I think it's a neat take on Star Wars' recurring theme of the emptiness of hatred and the dark side.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

yeah that's kind of a thing with expanded universes where stories never get to end, there's always a new bigger threat or sometimes an old threat comes back bigger, it's a real bummer

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Top Gun posted:

No it didn't. I read all of the Banthem era novels, the Dark Horse comics, and even some of the later Del Rey stuff and the heroes never became failed losers like they do in the new films. They had set backs and had to overcome obstacles sometimes even dealt with bleak poo poo but they were still the mostly optimistic group from the original trilogy and eventually they overcame all that bullshit.
The greatest teacher, failure is.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah but it also indicates that the Kessel Run actually happened and Han didn't just make it up so

Oh no you guys! Your head canon!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Deep Space 9 does go into the economy of planetary energy distribution a little, on the planet of Bajor.

Each Federation planet-state has its own political and economic system, and Bajor isn’t even a member.

The other stuff just raises more questions than it answers, since it’s some kind of weird edge case where the government is repurposing obsolete military technology for a highly specific purpose.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It is vindicated for me by Han immediately telling some rando refinery worker what the ship just did and the dude doesn't appear to understand what it means much less care.

And I mean, sure, maybe you lose the one example that Han is a low-rent bullshitter, but the movie characterizes him pretty much exactly that way nonetheless. He survives by bullshitting and luck and basically fails upwards through the story.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 6, 2018

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Elysium not only has fans, but it specifically got a flurry of reactions from free-market ideologues, arguing that the technological singularity will render anticapitalist revolution unnecessary. The wealth will trickle down, they insisted.

Elysium is political in a way that threatens people, whereas even you perceive Star Wars as purely innocuous entertainment besieged by the toxic zombies from Outside.

I think Star Wars has political subtext, but it is mostly subtext- lacking the didacticism of contemporary dystopias such as Logan's Run or Rollerball, movies which go to greater. Elysium belongs more in that dystopian tradition, it exists to draw clear lines between modern problems (wealth inequality and health care as commodity) and a potential nightmare future.

quote:

I didn’t say anything about “powerful people.” I said that energy companies must be massive.

What is your claim - that there are decentralized power grids run by hobbyists? That seems like a greater assumption.

‘Not going into the economy of energy distribution’ in, like, 50 years of TV and movies is highly suspect just on its own.

How will the energy distribution be handled in the communist utopia?

Like it seems to me you're trying to steer everyone towards being fans of the Good and Virtuous Anti-Capitalist science fiction films instead, but there is apparently no utopian or truly escapist fiction in this category- no visions of a better world, just visions of our modern lovely world to be fought against.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sponges posted:

It’s a shame the Luke character will be remembered as the pathetic fat coward from TLJ.

He’s a hero but people who are dumb can’t see that.

He’s the exact same character he was before. Hamill is wrong, Johnson is right.

*hurles mic at the audience*

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dishwasher posted:

This is mainly what I dislike. Many people thought of Luke as the hero of heroes, especially if you count the old EU. While he redeemed himself, it'd be nice if he had another movie to be a solid warrior of justice and not a sad sack. But then again, I guess he shouldn't have hosed up like he did. It's a shame, if very realistic to how life is. People gently caress up and end up stuck in lovely places and it doesn't matter 'what' your name is when that happens.

It isn't about what's realistic, it's about what makes a good story, and there are two weaknesses with Luke's arc between RotJ and TLJ that hinder it.

1) The most interesting part of the story would have been how Luke went from someone who was willing to abstain from killing his father even though it meant giving up his life, to someone that would threaten the life of his nephew's out of anxiety, and that part isn't addressed. It's like if the film after TPM skipped to Darth Vader already in a mask and explaining how the Jedi were wiped out in a flashback.

2) The over-all outcome of the story is just a perpetuation of the status quo re: ESB. The end result is that RotJ and TFA are made irrelevant.

Luke falling in this manner wouldn't necessarily be a bad story, but what we got was largely uncompelling.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

AndyElusive posted:

Name one ancillary character that dies who doesn't go out like a chump in the entire Saga other than Crynyd.

I don't actually care about Ackbar, my post was a joke. Although I did think it was funny he gets killed off-screen & another character specifically says that he's dead after being a non-presence. I have no idea who Crynyd is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah that's kind of a thing with expanded universes where stories never get to end, there's always a new bigger threat or sometimes an old threat comes back bigger, it's a real bummer

Sure, the chronologically final story in the Legends EU that I read (the Dark Horse comic Star Wars: Legacy) was about how the Sith returned 100 years after the movies, destroyed the Jedi and drove the survivors into hiding, conquered the Republic and restored the Empire with the remnants of the Republic fleet roaming around space fighting to survive and winning whatever victories they can. Largely similar to the movie premise again. (It was a good story, though.)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

1) The most interesting part of the story would have been how Luke went from someone who was willing to abstain from killing his father even though it meant giving up his life, to someone that would threaten the life of his nephew's out of anxiety, and that part isn't addressed. It's like if the film after TPM skipped to Darth Vader already in a mask and explaining how the Jedi were wiped out in a flashback.

it's not expressed strongly enough but the idea i got was that it was supposed to be a dramatic irony thing where luke's fear of a new sith or a new empire undoing all that they fought for was ultimately what made it happen

they should've spent more time on that moment in general, elaborate on why luke already felt like snoke was targeting ben and if it was even inevitable before ben saw luke eyeing his saber

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know if I've ever heard a single person talk about Elysium outside of the internet. It was pretty good though the concept art was way better.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

He’s a hero but people who are dumb can’t see that.

He’s the exact same character he was before. Hamill is wrong, Johnson is right.

*hurles mic at the audience*

No, he ran away like a coward. And he died like a coward.

All the new Luke stuff is extraneous tacked on shite.

(It’s not your faultt Luke. You’re the victim of a bad script)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dishwasher posted:

The most important part of passing the torch is to keep hanging onto it.

Schwarzwald posted:

Luke falling in this manner wouldn't necessarily be a bad story, but what we got was largely uncompelling.

It's not Luke's story. Maybe they'll release Skywalker sometime later.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

It isn't about what's realistic, it's about what makes a good story, and there are two weaknesses with Luke's arc between RotJ and TLJ that hinder it.

2) The over-all outcome of the story is just a perpetuation of the status quo re: ESB. The end result is that RotJ and TFA are made irrelevant.

1) This is explained, though! Luke calls it hubris. He's the head honcho Jedi now. There's no one to defer to. He gets to decide who gets to be a Jedi and who isn't worthy of it. In his moment of weakness he believes that he has the right to kill people who might fall to the Dark Side, but he comes to realize that he shouldn't have that power, and furthermore, nobody else should either. His encounter with Rey teaches him that this is further hubris, that he doesn't have the right to decide that there shouldn't be any more Jedi. This is what people point to when they say that TFA is subversive. It criticizes the notion that the Force makes people powerful, which a lot of Star Wars fans mistakenly thought was what the previous movies were about.

2) Irrelevant to what? You saw them, right? You still like those movies? If you're actually upset that the "status quo of the Star Wars galaxy" has regressed, then I'm sorry, all I can say is that it's not real, don't worry about it.

sponges posted:

No, he ran away like a coward. And he died like a coward.

All the new Luke stuff is extraneous tacked on shite.

(It’s not your faultt Luke. You’re the victim of a bad script)

Was Obi Wan a coward?

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 6, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

it's not expressed strongly enough but the idea i got was that it was supposed to be a dramatic irony thing where luke's fear of a new sith or a new empire undoing all that they fought for was ultimately what made it happen

they should've spent more time on that moment in general, elaborate on why luke already felt like snoke was targeting ben and if it was even inevitable before ben saw luke eyeing his saber
Yeah that was my interpretation too. I don't think it needs more explanation, I like that it's ambiguous whether Luke's actions actually caused Ren's defection and that you can come to your own conclusion based on what both characters say.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's like if the film after TPM skipped to Darth Vader already in a mask and explaining how the Jedi were wiped out in a flashback.

You literally just described A New Hope, before any planned sequels or prequels. Nobody had any problem not knowing those details when that movie came out.

Plus like other people mentioned, TLJ isn’t about Luke, just like ESB isn’t about Yoda. We know Yoda was once a great master who is now a weird hermit, the details of why are irrelevant because he is a side character.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
There is a rumor that Kathleen Kennedy will be leaving Lucasfilm in September.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

You literally just described A New Hope, before any planned sequels or prequels. Nobody had any problem not knowing those details when that movie came out.

Plus like other people mentioned, TLJ isn’t about Luke, just like ESB isn’t about Yoda. We know Yoda was once a great master who is now a weird hermit, the details of why are irrelevant because he is a side character.

Then don’t put Luke in the movie in the first place

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Is there a difference between these two scenarios?

[A] Disney's first Star Wars film introduces Ben Solo as a gruff thirty-something Jedi who lost his way and hurt people in his past but who is now on the side of good.

[B] In the opening scene of Star Wars Episode IX, the sequel to the Episode VII and Episode VIII that actually exist, Ben Solo is introduced as a gruff thirty-something Jedi who lost his way and hurt people in his past but who is now on the side of good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

pospysyl posted:

1) This is explained, though! Luke calls it hubris. He's the head honcho Jedi now. There's no one to defer to. He gets to decide who gets to be a Jedi and who isn't worthy of it. In his moment of weakness he believes that he has the right to kill people who might fall to the Dark Side, but he comes to realize that he shouldn't have that power, and furthermore, nobody else should either.

Yes, that's the thing interesting thing that I think would have been cool to see. The flashbacks we got were like reading a wikipedia plot summery of a second film.

pospysyl posted:

2) Irrelevant to what? You saw them, right? You still like those movies? If you're actually upset that the "status quo of the Star Wars galaxy" has regressed, then I'm sorry, all I can say is that it's not real, don't worry about it.

Two of the things I really appreciate about the Lucas films were the scope of the setting and the fact that it changes lastingly and meaningfully over the course of them. I wouldn't say that I'm upset, but it's a little disappointing that some of what I liked is apparently no longer a part of the series.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

sponges posted:

Then don’t put Luke in the movie in the first place

Why?

Zoran posted:

Is there a difference between these two scenarios?

[A] Disney's first Star Wars film introduces Ben Solo as a gruff thirty-something Jedi who lost his way and hurt people in his past but who is now on the side of good.

[B] In the opening scene of Star Wars Episode IX, the sequel to the Episode VII and Episode VIII that actually exist, Ben Solo is introduced as a gruff thirty-something Jedi who lost his way and hurt people in his past but who is now on the side of good.

This is not analogous to how Luke was handled.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

There is a rumor that Kathleen Kennedy will be leaving Lucasfilm in September.

I'd leave too if I had that much heat and knew I could jump somewhere else for the same or more money to another project that people aren't literally calling for my head for. And I can't blame Disney, when people are being so irrational it's best to cut losses. It's a shame you can count this as a victory for the alt-reich though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Colonel Whitey posted:

This is not analogous to how Luke was handled.

You were responding to someone saying it would have been bizarre to go straight from TPM Anakin to Darth Vader by saying that A New Hope came out first and didn’t have all the backstory. You completely missed the point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Colonel Whitey posted:

I was describing TPM before AotC and RotS came out. I agree that the original trilogy is self contained, but if you go straight from TPM to ANH you're going to have some questions.

I honestly don't know how to respond to the second paragraph. Are you saying it's OK that Luke's story sucks in TLJ, because he doesn't matter to the film? I might not disagree, but I don't really think that counts as a defense.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dishwasher posted:

I'd leave too if I had that much heat and knew I could jump somewhere else for the same or more money to another project that people aren't literally calling for my head for. And I can't blame Disney, when people are being so irrational it's best to cut losses. It's a shame you can count this as a victory for the alt-reich though.

I don't know. She's been in charge for five years now and she's in her mid-60s. Maybe she just wants to leave anyway?

Though I wouldn't be surprised if she's getting the sack over Solo since most of the problems seem to have come down to her wanting to assert the fact that she is in charge. :shrug:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

I was describing TPM before AotC and RotS came out. I agree that the original trilogy is self contained, but if you go straight from TPM to ANH you're going to have some questions.

I honestly don't know how to respond to the second paragraph. Are you saying it's OK that Luke's story sucks in TLJ, because he doesn't matter to the film? I might not disagree, but I don't really think that counts as a defense.

It’s not analogous. TFA came out thirty years later, following entirely new characters with the old characters as side characters. It’s a new story that is loosely tied to the old trilogy. The original characters are not who we are following anymore, that kind of thinking needs to be reframed. You’re assuming a lot about what these new movies are supposed to be doing.

And I’m not saying it’s ok his story sucks because I don’t think it did suck. I’m saying it’s mistaken to say it’s Luke’s story. Its Ben’s story.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Saying it’s not Luke’s story is dumb as hell. What does that even mean? Did they put him on the screen for half the runtime and give him character development and the climactic battle scene on accident?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Certainly TLJ is far more about Luke than it is about Rey, Finn, Poe, or Rose.

Why are all the new heroes' names monosyllabic?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

luke is a more important character to TLJ than finn is, one of the ostensible major characters of the new trilogy

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Zoran posted:

Certainly TLJ is far more about Luke than it is about Rey, Finn, Poe, or Rose.

Why are all the new heroes' names monosyllabic?

Why are most of the old heroes names monosyllabic.

The answer is who cares?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
rewatching Attack of the Clones and boy, the blocking and pacing is absolutely bizarre

It looks like cutscenes in a Spy Fox game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Dan Dare. It's a space hero thing. Not 100% mandatory, you got your Valerians and Barbarellas and whatnot.