Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I have a bunch of Behringer gear and it's all solid. They threw off that reputation years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Actually looks like behringer may save my tapco! It seems like the power supply went screwy (my bad probably, running a 50hz euro transformer on 60hz American juice stepped up to 220v), and although the original power supply is hard to find, the voltage is identical with the xenyx ones, so maybe I can just graft the old connector to a behringer supply instead.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
A couple thoughts on Synthstrom Deluge after a few days with it:
-Most fun I've had sequencing stuff ever. The shortcut to shift whole patterns by the current zoom note level is fantastic. I love that it treats notes that take up the full pattern as a special case and keeps them droning without re-triggering at the start of the phrase. I'm pretty sure this is also the first hardware music thing I've played with automation and parameter locking, and I can't believe what I've been missing out on.
-Instantly sampling into a drum kit from the line input or built-in mic is my favorite thing at the moment. It's so easy to sample something random, play with effects/pitch of the new sample with parameter locks, get a drum pattern going underneath, and build from there.
-Managing volume/pan/effects from 'song mode' is a lot more intuitive than I thought it would be. It's really quick to get multiple tracks to acceptable mix levels with each other. Applying effects to the entire song is usually one to two button pushes away, which gives a ton of options for transitions. That said, I would love to see them add a few more performance effect options that combine multiple effects together like a 'fade to grey' or a 'vinyl-sim' effect.
-Song mode is nice. I like the Ableton-y scene trigger options, and I like that I can specify whether or not triggering a new scene mutes other scenes or keeps everything else playing. I can launch or stop multiple synths lines simultaneously without cutting out the underlying bass/drums/chords.
-Synth editing is kind of bad tbh. It is overall better to have the option than for the device to be a preset-machine, but it is the weakest part when compared to all the performance-oriented features of the device. It seems like the best use for the internal synth is getting initial ideas down, and then transferring to an external synth if I want to build on that foundation further. Adding a bunch of knobs to make synth editing more manageable would make the device a lot bigger and a lot more expensive.
-I can see sample management being a pain-point for some people, but I always hate managing samples even on a computer and the device seems to encourage starting from scratch with new songs anyways.

I'm very excited about the upcoming arranger mode. I love the overall workflow for starting ideas, but the arranger will make finishing ideas much more do-able on the device. It's a lot like a hardware version of Ableton Live's session mode at the moment, with all the strengths and flaws of that workflow present. Being able to visually layout a track horizontally is going to be incredible.

I'd also like to have a quick way to export stems and whole MIDI files, which appears to be one of the main items on their development to-do list after the 2.0 software update is released.

Bonus:
-Multi-sampled instruments are possible if you load note samples individually into a kit and use up a song slot to MIDI-map an external keyboard to play it. It's a niche use-case for the device at the moment, but it is an incredible bonus feature if you jump through the hoops to get it set up.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

snorch posted:

Actually looks like behringer may save my tapco! It seems like the power supply went screwy (my bad probably, running a 50hz euro transformer on 60hz American juice stepped up to 220v), and although the original power supply is hard to find, the voltage is identical with the xenyx ones, so maybe I can just graft the old connector to a behringer supply instead.
What are the characteristics of the power supply you need?

I'm having trouble accepting that it would be cheapest to buy another mixer to acquire one.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm having trouble accepting that it would be cheapest to buy another mixer to acquire one.

I think it’s more likely buying just the PS, which is theoretically more common than the original, not an entire mixer.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

If anyones into Decksavers, they got one for the Moog Sub37/Subsequent37/Little Phatty now. Mine came in today and its pretty noice.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Ok. So I mentioned that multi-sampled instruments were an option on the Deluge but that they were a niche use-case? I was very wrong.

Each kit/synth can be linked to a MIDI channel. This means the Deluge is functionally much closer to a hardware DAW replacement than I had originally anticipated. I can load up 16 different instruments, assign them all to different MIDI channels, and instantly jump between them using an external controller. A user on the Synthstrom forums made a Rhodes and a Wurlitzer multi-sample kit available that both sound pretty decent to my ears, especially in a mix. I'm currently using those two instruments as un-quantized 'performance instruments' and supplement them using synth presets.

There might end up being hardware limitations to this setup, but I haven't noticed any major issues like voice dropping yet. I'm thrilled with the purchase so far if that isn't apparent. I keep discovering things that the Deluge can do that I don't expect a device this portable would be able to do.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

2x 18VAC with opposing phase. You can buy the power supply separately :ssh:

On a separate DIY note I've started to graft some ground isolating transformers into my setup and holy wow it makes a world of difference in cutting down on hum.

snorch fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 28, 2018

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

snorch posted:

2x 18VAC with opposing phase. You can buy the power supply separately :ssh:
Yeah, that effectively guts any argument I thought I had. Good for you.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Anyone know of a Wasp filter with CV over resonance or filter type?

I built a Haible Double and it's _almost_ the coolest thing.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
why not just use a vc mixer for that? :thunk:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Just easier to patch and less space/not an extra module for something I'd use a lot, I'm hoping to trade down my fancy one for a utilitarian thing (if it exists)

But yeah! that also would get there (if I had the right outputs)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
moddemix and optomix are small and simple, then theres all them 4 channel 12 hit point dealies that seem like theyd be good in all but the smallest racks

youve already got the filter, and you can always use another mixer :shrug:

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Got a few levels questions. I'm running the following signal path:
Sub 37 --> Earthquaker Cloven Hoof fuzz --> EH Nano Small Stone phaser --> a few other pedals that aren't relevant --> audio interface.

Whenever I kick on the phaser my audio interface starts to clip at the end of the phase cycle (I run it with a very low rate just to impart some movement) and generally sounds like it imparts a small boost. The controls on that phaser don't include a levels knob.

Additionally I get a small periodic transient when I kick on the fuzz which seems to correspond to the detune beat frequency of the oscillators on the Sub 37. Given the nature of fuzz I can't tell if it's clipping or not but the click is annoying. Also my tone seems to get a bit thinner than I'd expect when I click it on (very fuzzy but the bottom just kind of drops out).

The common sense answer seems (to me) to be just turn down the Sub 37 output but the master volume knob on the synth doesn't seem to have much effect until you've basically just turned it all the way around.

Is this a problem matching synth levels to guitar pedals? Do I need to stick an always-on compressor between the fuzz and phaser? Any other ideas?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

So the hoof is pretty close to a green russian right?

I was/am actually just now messing with a Mother 32 into a EHX Russian Muff re-issue.

Thin tone sounds like what the fuzz does on most settings, but there's a lot of spots to play with. It's also really level-dependent, running a boost or OD after and running the synth quieter than you think can help (I have my volume where I'm happy with it at 9 o'clock, which is just barely on, and I'm making up the gain after the pedal).

I also have my tone knob way down cause it sucks bass if I turn it up, but that might be fine. There's definite sweet spots elsewhere in the circuit too, I just mention cause you brought up the thin-ness.

I could be wrong but Nano stones suck rear end power/circuit-wise iirc (or I might be thinking of Nano Clones), like they can't be daisy chained and dump a bunch of noise and stuff into the path - the first thing I'd check is does it happen when it's on it's own power supply? Otherwise the spike could just be the loud point of the cycle but I feel like things would have to be gainstaged kinda weird for that to happen.

tldr:
I don't think you need a compressor, but its not weird to have a 20 dollar boost right after a muff (clone). It seems odd that you only get volume out of the synth at full, cause no other moog I've used is like that, but the boost after the fuzz might help. The nano clone could have bad power circuits or it could just be hitting the high point of its cycle. And your muff sounds like a muff! Mess with the knobs.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

JamesKPolk posted:

Thin tone sounds like what the fuzz does on most settings, but there's a lot of spots to play with. It's also really level-dependent, running a boost or OD after and running the synth quieter than you think can help (I have my volume where I'm happy with it at 9 o'clock, which is just barely on, and I'm making up the gain after the pedal).

I also have my tone knob way down cause it sucks bass if I turn it up, but that might be fine. There's definite sweet spots elsewhere in the circuit too, I just mention cause you brought up the thin-ness.

It seems odd that you only get volume out of the synth at full, cause no other moog I've used is like that, but the boost after the fuzz might help. The nano clone could have bad power circuits or it could just be hitting the high point of its cycle. And your muff sounds like a muff! Mess with the knobs.

It's the opposite--I get basically full volume until i get down to ~2 on the knob and then it fades out quickly from there. With the muff off I get a more normal taper. Since it sounds like you run yours at a similar level (9 o'clock), I'll play around a bit with it down there and throw a boost post fuzz to see what happens.

I definitely still retain some bass with the tone way down but it thins dramatically as I turn clockwise. Sounds like this is perfectly normal. I mean, it doesn't sound bad by any means I just want more rumble. The mid/high end fuzz is fine when I'm not trying to bass it up.

Thanks for the tips!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i aint saying smoke on the synth all the time but if you never passed a joint during band practice idk :shrug:

"Smooooooke near my Waaaaldorf...." *bah bah baaaaaah*

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well played sir. :golfclap:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

We all came out to Moogfest
Under North Carolina skyline
To twiddle knobs on a Voyageur
We can't afford at this time
Cortini and the modular
Were at the best place around
But some stupid with a bong hit
Burned the place to the ground

Smoke near my Waldorf, a fire in the sky
Smoke near my Waldorf

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

just picked up an SQ-1 to drive my 0-Coast. now i can do even more twiddling

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

just picked up an SQ-1 to drive my 0-Coast. now i can do even more twiddling

sequence multiple parameters simultaneously like its 1979

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i always have and always will

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I have a video synth question: Why do all the modules I see say that you should leave the signal as composite? How bad does it look if you try to use a cheap composite to HDMI?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

hdmi suckz, get a crt.

seriously, youll thank me once you see it, they work way better ime than modern tvs, you dont want anything digital in the signal path cuz it makes the pretty blurs into corners a little too much

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Besides, all the analog voodoo magic only really comes into its own when it's driving a circuit built to digest that signal directly; any digital TV will crap out and refuse to display any signal that gets too wonky, whereas an analog crt will just be like asdfgrblfgIMMA SHOW YOU A PICTURE

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

you can play on somethng else but most vidsynth gear is designed to work on crt's and their quirks do a lot to bring the picture to life, whereas the high bandwidth necessary is usually lacking in most consumer digital video processing because most video signals dont vary as wildly as a video synth :eng101:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Anyone have a DFAM here and if so how do you like it? I'm about to start putting together my modular and I've decided to center it around semi-self generating rhythmic sounds and it seems like that would be a great start and build everything around it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I wonder if you could upscale output from a video synth through something like the Framemeister (it’s a thingy mainly for playing classic game consoles on modern TVs) without it pooping out. They’re expensive, and it might not work, so kind of a dicey proposition to try it.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 8, 2018

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I have an unfortunate affinity for both old electronics and somewhat odd musical gear. I was instantly drawn to a Roland S-550 that was on the local craigslist, complete with tiny CRT for viewing the interface. When I contacted the guy, he emailed me back the next day and told me that he sold it but forgot to take the ad down.

So I did the only logical thing and ordered an S-760 from some dude in Russia on eBay instead.

It's got upgraded memory, newest firmware, video expansion board w/digital coax out, SCSI port for an external CD drive and a bunch of sample libraries on CDs so you don't have to swap floppies (or convert to USB). From what I understand it's got a very counterintuitive interface and I'll be in over my head so I can't fuckin' wait.

This is really my fault because when buying a new desk with the intention of putting it in the music dungeon I bought one that had two 4U rack spaces between the monitor shelf and the desk surface. Gotta fill it in.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

If the UI is anything like my S-550, it’s confusing as hell but still real drat fun.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Hey guys, remember that Valkyrie synth that premiered at Musikmesse and that everyone thought was basically a Virus TI3?

Turns out Waldorf bought it and is releasing it as the Kyra

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

VoodooXT posted:

Hey guys, remember that Valkyrie synth that premiered at Musikmesse and that everyone thought was basically a Virus TI3?

Turns out Waldorf bought it and is releasing it as the Kyra

Excellent news. I was hyped for the synth when it was revealed, but it's great to know that the Waldorf production lines and technical assistance will be behind it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Plavski posted:

Excellent news. I was hyped for the synth when it was revealed, but it's great to know that the Waldorf production lines and technical assistance will be behind it.

lol. Waldorf, with all the Blofeld encoder issues (both hardware and firmware) and where I have a post a couple pages up saying I can't save the patch settings on my Streichfett while it receives MIDI transport or else it factory resets? Do they have any like success stories in this domain?

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

lol. Waldorf, with all the Blofeld encoder issues (both hardware and firmware) and where I have a post a couple pages up saying I can't save the patch settings on my Streichfett while it receives MIDI transport or else it factory resets? Do they have any like success stories in this domain?

I thought the encoder issues with Blofeld have been solved with firmware updates long ago?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Mitigated, probably software debounce. If they’re lovely they’re still gonna be lovely. My left one jumps around on me sometime.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004
So how bad are the encoders after the updates?

Asking because I like how it sounds, but lovely encoders drive me absolutely nuts and if there's any chance of that I'm gonna pass.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

There's a range of levels of broken. Some are fine, some can get fixed with the update, some will still have some weirdness and/or just not respond to it (afaik there were two separate issues and the update fixed one of them). If you're buying one I'd try it or ask about the history or buy w/ a return policy.

I never liked the action on the encoders to start though, fwiw, so I'd definitely try one first if you're picky about that.

Sounds great though!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

There's a video somewhere of someone opening up the encoders and cleaning them out, with the theory that the wrong lubricating grease was used for some production runs. Something like that. It seemed credible at the time.

I never had much of a problem with the encoders myself, so I never tested that.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's a video somewhere of someone opening up the encoders and cleaning them out, with the theory that the wrong lubricating grease was used for some production runs. Something like that. It seemed credible at the time.

I never had much of a problem with the encoders myself, so I never tested that.

they changed encoder providers a while back and released new firmware to accommodate them. encoder troubles have diminished greatly since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Plavski posted:

they changed encoder providers a while back and released new firmware to accommodate them. encoder troubles have diminished greatly since then
I quit the facebook group around the time 1.22 was final and I see they're up to 1.25 now, so I'll accept my knowledge is outdated. Not a change log in sight, thanks for that, Waldorf.

But I figure them switching to a new encoder supplier doesn't help those with old Blofelds and a new firmware can only do so much if grease is melting and settling between the contacts. If that indeed is a thing. I've got to admit I don't really know that for a fact. Cleaning those encoders did really solve it for that one guy at least.

If it can all be fixed in firmware, so much the better, of course.