Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Vancouver Council has approved randomized ballots for the next municipal election. Councillors opposed to the motion were: Elizabeth Ball, Adriane Carr, and Melissa DeGenova

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

Vancouver Council has approved randomized ballots for the next municipal election. Councillors opposed to the motion were: Elizabeth Ball, Adriane Carr, and Melissa DeGenova

loving surprise.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Why? I'm not the innumerate moron trying to predict seat numbers from province wide polls, remember?

Bet Grenier if you want.

I was trying to give you a chance to bet against him, my money is on his side of the line and he is an innumerate retard and you're presumably not. I figured that'd be a fair bet to someone who really does believe

The polls ... cannot be used to project seat counts with any accuracy.

Canpol's Next Eric Grenier, the official final Ikantski guess algorithmic calculation is PC 67, NDP 52, OLP 5

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 25, 2018

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Yinlock posted:

baby boomers

No, plenty of people our age are pretty right wing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
For maximum comedy I'll guess

OPC 62
NDP 56
OLP 5
GRN 1

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bombardier has inside track for TTC’s next streetcar order.

I don't even know what to say to this:

quote:

But a presentation attached to the report suggests the TTC’s urgent need for new cars means Bombardier has a significant advantage over its competitors.

The Flexity-model vehicles the company is the midst of delivering already fit the TTC’s specifications, and according to the report, Bombardier could start delivering the additional cars midway through 2020.

If the TTC went with another company, it would likely have to put the purchase out to a public bid, and it doesn’t expect to be able to award a new contract until late 2020.

Under an originally agreed upon schedule, Bombardier was supposed to have supplied 148 new cars by the end of last year. As of May 29, it had delivered 80.

The latest revised schedule calls for the company to complete a total of 121 by the end of this year, and meet the original contract target of supplying all 204 by the end of next year.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I was trying to give you a chance to bet against him, my money is on his side of the line and he is an innumerate retard and you're presumably not. I figured that'd be a fair bet to someone who really does believe

Okay, but as a STEMlord surely you can understand the concept of "not even wrong". I'm not betting against Grenier, because Grenier has just pulled numbers out of his rear end, I have no more information than he does, so why would I try to make a prediction?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
FORD

FORD

FORD

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Okay, but as a STEMlord surely you can understand the concept of "not even wrong". I'm not betting against Grenier, because Grenier has just pulled numbers out of his rear end, I have no more information than he does, so why would I try to make a prediction?

Because it's possible with the information provided to make an educated prediction? It's not that different from climate modeling right? You make a model, test it against historical data and see how it does moving forward. Yes, we have 450 different models because none of them are going to be "correct" but we take some weighted averages and agree that the world is heating up and spend trillions mitigating that prediction.

The CBC guy is bad but poll aggregation in general makes a bit of sense and there are smarter people who've tried the same thing and are getting similar numbers to him.

quote:

In tests for past elections, using late campaign polls to project electoral outcomes, the model has proved to be accurate within an average of four seats per party since 1963.

https://www.lispop.ca/sites/lispop.ca/files/Improving%20Upon%20The%20Cube%20Law.pdf

So, if you can say that your little model averages +/- 4 seats per party, that's a degree of accuracy that's higher than zero. Also make a goddamn prediction for fun, there's no cost and I want to see where you disagree with eric grenier because otherwise you're just saying "hey he's an innumerate retard but he's way more accurate than I could be with the same information so I'll go with his".

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
A model that seems to work from the principle that the ONDP is primarily urban seems to be inherently flawed in obvious ways the minute you look at federal and provincial electoral maps of Ontario.

If anything the tories and the libs seem to have more overlap in the suburban hell that is southwestern ontario than the ndp and the tories in the north. Toronto suburbs and the southeast carried Harper in 2011 for one.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I feel like

Dippers - 59
Cons - 59
Libs - 6

Would produce an amazing amount of bullshit now, and far into the future, so that’s what I’m locking in on.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

For maximum comedy I'll guess

OPC 62
NDP 56
OLP 5
GRN 1

Strike the OLP option, then shift the rest around with greens being the kingmaker, that's the BC maximum comedy bet on the last election.

IIRC something like only 30 people ended up winning quite nice payouts from everyone else by taking the hilariously unlikely "other outcome" option for the betting on the election market.

Put your money where your mouth is if you believe Ontarionians!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
OPC 52
NDP 46
OLP 25
GRN 1

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

Bombardier could start delivering the additional cars midway through 2020.

Citation needed on Bombardier delivering anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Also make a goddamn prediction for fun, there's no cost and I want to see where you disagree with eric grenier because otherwise you're just saying "hey he's an innumerate retard but he's way more accurate than I could be with the same information so I'll go with his".

Okay professor, my "Throw 124 darts at 124 dartboards with the candidates' faces pasted on" model has returned the following, 95 times out of 100:

PC: 0
OLP: 0
NDP: 0
GRN: 0
JEB!: 124

I'm still waiting on the results of my "124 blind squirrels find acorns that resemble the candidates" model, I'll update you as they come in.

BobaFett
Jun 4, 2004
Today will be a great day :)

edited out malware link

more to follow...

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yes... let's all just download a 1.1GB 7zip file with no explanation

P.S.: You may want to pull that as it has your name on it.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 7, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Sadly even if it was Doug Ford’s crack cocaine dealer books, it’s too late.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Sorry about Milton boys, were going blue. Low to mid 40s pc will take the riding.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Kitchener Centre person checking in here.

I was dumb and didn't register online over the last few weeks (just moved to ON in May). Not particularly excited for the extra paperwork that that's gonna entail when I go to vote . I don't have a photoID with my new address on it but I got my lease and last paystub with me so I'm hoping that's enough.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That should be fine, AIUI. A utility bill is definitely enough.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Also note that you can show an electronic copy on your phone now.

Ottawa Centre checking in, I'll be working the polls for Joel all day. Looking forward to sending Yasir packing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I used an OHIP card and a bank statement in 2014, no hassles.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arabian Jesus posted:

Ottawa Centre checking in, I'll be working the polls for Joel all day. Looking forward to sending Yasir packing

I’m glad this one at least seems like a lock.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CRISPYBABY posted:

Kitchener Centre person checking in here.

I was dumb and didn't register online over the last few weeks (just moved to ON in May). Not particularly excited for the extra paperwork that that's gonna entail when I go to vote . I don't have a photoID with my new address on it but I got my lease and last paystub with me so I'm hoping that's enough.

Sup Kitchener Centre buddy :hfive:

You get to vote for Laura Mae Lindo who seems like a genuinely cool person and candidate

https://twitter.com/oliviasmatthews/status/1004473652275040257

https://twitter.com/devon_schmevon/status/1004496600432041989

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’m completely demoralized. I got my fingers crossed the NDP wins this one. But it seems their brand lacks appeal to such a degree that people will vote for Doug Ford even if they hate him.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Arabian Jesus posted:

I'm in Ottawa Centre too - Joel has my vote.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

Sorry about Milton boys, were going blue. Low to mid 40s pc will take the riding.

Sup Milton buddy. I went orange for this one because I like them best, but there's too many people here that think a parachuted PC candidate is better than the local OLP or NDP candidates. For the life of me I don't know why.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Also Ottawa centre. Voted Joel on Tuesday.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Kraftwerk posted:

I’m completely demoralized. I got my fingers crossed the NDP wins this one. But it seems their brand lacks appeal to such a degree that people will vote for Doug Ford even if they hate him.

We're going to survive. We'll be ok. We survived a decade of Harper and while this hits a bit closer to home on a provincial level we'll survive it too. I mean, we survived Mike Harris! And that was one of the most damaging premierships in Canadian history.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Duck Rodgers posted:

Also Ottawa centre. Voted Joel on Tuesday.

:hfive:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Just got done voting, didn't see much in the way of young people in line. Maybe in the evening?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I once used my printed fishing license to vote.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arabian Jesus posted:

Why even bother at that point? It's trivial to alter something like that, just make people swear an oath instead.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Thank god this poo poo is over today and we can get back to regular CanPol conversation

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Just voted NDP. I'm in the GTA so I don't have my hopes up. Out of the ~fifteen people I saw (who weren't staff) maybe three didn't have gray hairs. Saw a couple younger people heading in when I left though.

I like the new black-envelope thing they're using to feed the ballots into the machine. Or maybe those were there last time and I forgot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Thank god this poo poo is over today and we can get back to regular CanPol conversation

Yes such gripping issues and concerns as … and ….

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

The Keg updated their menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Arivia posted:

Pissbabby Trump saying he doesn't like Canada because we burnt down the white house in the war of 1812 (which isn't true that was British Regulars) and bitching about having to come up for the G7 because it fucks up his golf schedule