Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Thug Lessons posted:

Aren't you the dude who deliberately opted out of organ donation even though you ride a motorcycle and came into this thread to brag about it? We don't need big words like "misanthropy"; you're just a gigantic selfish rear end in a top hat.

Something we can agree on, at last! (Seriously, why would you ever opt out of organ donation? I can understand wussy religious reasons, but didn't that dude just opt out for no reason? After you're dead, you're just meat. Even a solipsist misanthrop would see nothing wrong with donating, you'd have to actively hate humanity to decide against organ donation.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

This thread is great when it’s talking about science and not so great when it’s sanctimonious Kant impersonator vs edgelord left-wing misanthrope slapfight

To be fair, I loved all those sanctimonious edgelord questions aka "two mutant vampire bears are attacking, one attacks the love of your life, a human, the other a useless dirty leech filled with dangerous diseases, you only have one rocket-launcher, which one do you shoot" as if those would ever solve philosophical questions

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Libluini posted:

Something we can agree on, at last! (Seriously, why would you ever opt out of organ donation? I can understand wussy religious reasons, but didn't that dude just opt out for no reason? After you're dead, you're just meat. Even a solipsist misanthrop would see nothing wrong with donating, you'd have to actively hate humanity to decide against organ donation.)

That's not fair, he could also be a conspiracy theorist. :shrug:

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

call to action posted:

I don't believe humans are uniquely special and I also don't believe that's misanthropy.

Careful, these sort of views might be considered repugnant in this thread.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Thug Lessons posted:

Well at the most basic level you're either adding new capacity or you aren't. They're importing Canadian hydro power, which already has plenty of domestic customers, from 30, 50, 80 year-old dams. It can "raise Massachusetts's renewables rate" while doing absolutely nothing for the environment, essentially giving the utilities a billion dollars to build a completely unnecessary 150-mile transmission line across the wilderness so that a bureaucrat can make the numbers on a graph look nicer.

My argument is: why can't MA decarbonize? Why are they so desperate they have to resort to hare-brained schemes like this? They've spent the past decade aggressively building solar, but for some bizarre reason no one could have anticipated that doesn't work that well. And how much worse is the problem going to get once they complete their ongoing process of shuttering the nuclear plants, leaving the lackluster renewables sector as the sole domestic power source? Are they going to build another transmission line, maybe this time to Mexico instead of Canada, and take their hydro power too?

Literally anything would be better. Build 1200 MW of offshore wind. Extend loans for a nuclear power plant. Even build a natural gas plant and import less coal power. Don't throw the money away on a boondoggle.

Well, you see, the mere presence of wind turbines off the coast of Boston would upset precious neoliberal sensibilities. Think of the seagulls that might be damaged by such a project!

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
let me explain to you how all of this works. an ecosystem has a sort of collective intelligence and when a population exceeds its boundaries, the ecosystem works (on a timescale that we as humans can't comprehend) to limit that population's success. that is what's now happening to us at the moment. now, we are the single smartest factor in the ecosystem that is earth's biosphere, and in the short-to-medium term we can outwit the efforts of any other species to limit us in our survival. but we can't outwit the long-term genius of the whole

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this broken hill posted:

let me explain to you how all of this works. an ecosystem has a sort of collective intelligence and when a population exceeds its boundaries, the ecosystem works (on a timescale that we as humans can't comprehend) to limit that population's success. that is what's now happening to us at the moment. now, we are the single smartest factor in the ecosystem that is earth's biosphere, and in the short-to-medium term we can outwit the efforts of any other species to limit us in our survival. but we can't outwit the long-term genius of the whole

The notion of an intelligent, necessarily-stable ecosystem is teleological; nature doesn't have this anthromorphic drive.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think you need to go all the way to intelligent-stable-anthropomorphic to recognize the systemically self-correcting 'nature' of... nature.

We probably can outwit the long-term genius of the whole, but probably only by way of very painful learning experiences over a millennia or centuries at best.

Point is, even though we will someday probably/hopefully transcend earth's biosphere, in the meaningful-horizon future of 50 - 100 years we* sure as poo poo won't.

* the billions of us, not some handful of billionaires and scientists

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

this broken hill posted:

i got un-permabanned, i just had to promise i would never again assassinate a sitting president

What about a standing president?

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

When an eco-system self corrects it burns down, and then an entirely new ecosystem takes its place.

There is no balance in nature.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

this broken hill posted:

My dude the earth is not some self-correcting harmonious system guided by the steady and invisible hand of a genius, it has spent the last ~4 billion years just blindly and wildly barreling from one massive catastrophe to the next, repeatedly destroying the majority of all life, re-emerging each time in increasingly asinine and doomed configurations built on only the most tenuous and illusory foundations of stability, under the ever negligent and capricious care of a retarded and violent Gaia. Its only destiny is to die.

Morbus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 3, 2018

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Morbus posted:

My dude the earth is not some self-correcting harmonious system guided by the steady and invisible hand of a genius, it has spent the last ~4 billion years just blindly and wildly barreling from one massive catastrophe to the next, repeatedly destroying the majority of all life, re-emerging each time in increasingly asinine and doomed configurations built on only the most tenuous and illusory foundations of stability, under the ever negligent and capricious care of a retarded and violent Gaia. Its only destiny is to die.

aka the Medea hypothesis.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Morbus posted:

This man speaks the truth.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Morbus posted:

fool

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Life on this planet has only been asinine for a few thousand years, though. Before that, it was merely equine, and only for 50 million years or so.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1003652589370540033
:tif:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, I don't really think it's misanthropy to state that I, along with most of my other fellow humans, don't really add poo poo to the world, on balance. I think it's pretty dumb to destroy something that can create something as cool as humanity in order to let more dumb zeroes populate the earth. I do think it's pretty funny that it's considered 'repugnant' to care about anything besides your own dumb loving progeny though

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The heat across Northern Europe has been nuts for May, with historical records getting broken from Germany (which also beat its April record) and Poland in the south, to Svalbard in the north, and the UK in the west. Wasn't even just by a little bit here in Denmark, it was a full 1.2C. I saw some projections that the US might have been on its way to beat its own record too? Presumably they got their heat from the south, just like Northern Europe got Mediterranean heat? Looking forward to the year where the heat pushes all the way past us and into the Arctic instead.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The heat across Northern Europe has been nuts for May, with historical records getting broken from Germany (which also beat its April record) and Poland in the south, to Svalbard in the north, and the UK in the west. Wasn't even just by a little bit here in Denmark, it was a full 1.2C. I saw some projections that the US might have been on its way to beat its own record too? Presumably they got their heat from the south, just like Northern Europe got Mediterranean heat? Looking forward to the year where the heat pushes all the way past us and into the Arctic instead.

I know weather |= climate, but holy gently caress it's been completely surreal. An actual proper drought in May with an average 4,2 degrees above normal, which completely eradicated previous heat wave records from the previous 100 years. I know it's just an anomaly and that it doesn't mean anything, but it's still unsettling.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

call to action posted:

Eh, I don't really think it's misanthropy to state that I, along with most of my other fellow humans, don't really add poo poo to the world, on balance. I think it's pretty dumb to destroy something that can create something as cool as humanity in order to let more dumb zeroes populate the earth. I do think it's pretty funny that it's considered 'repugnant' to care about anything besides your own dumb loving progeny though

To describe your fellow humans as "more dumb zeroes" is a pretty good definition of misanthropy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nice piece of fish posted:

I know weather |= climate, but holy gently caress it's been completely surreal. An actual proper drought in May with an average 4,2 degrees above normal, which completely eradicated previous heat wave records from the previous 100 years. I know it's just an anomaly and that it doesn't mean anything, but it's still unsettling.
The fact that March was unusually cold sorta adds to the surrealness - we basically had a month of spring. As for anomalies not meaning anything, they kinda still do if they become regular occurrences.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CountFosco posted:

To describe your fellow humans as "more dumb zeroes" is a pretty good definition of misanthropy.

It's also pretty objectively true, though. Fulfulling self-created needs doesn't count as purpose - I'm glad mothers love their children, etc. but none of it's worth it at the cost of the only place humanity can live.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

call to action posted:

It's also pretty objectively true, though. Fulfulling self-created needs doesn't count as purpose - I'm glad mothers love their children, etc. but none of it's worth it at the cost of the only place humanity can live.

There is no inherent purpose to anything dude?

Our species survival holds no more inherent value than a mother's love for her child. Or me taking a poo poo.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

aka the Medea hypothesis.

A good book if any of yall haven't read it yet.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
The arctic is getting hosed up right now. Big hot storms. death is certain

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If you take a hand full of robot parts and computer chips and throw them up into the air, then one time out of a hundred billion they will fall to the ground in such a way that it assembles a robot A.I. capable of thinking. That robot will then think that it was intelligently designed and that its life must have some kind of meaning. The world is the way it is because none of the other random combinations that occured produced life to ask questions about it.

I don't think that is misanthropic because although nothing we do has value in a cosmic sense, it does have value due to our evolution. I care about other people because that is something that I and most other humans have evolved to do. I care about the suffering global warming will cause because I evolved to have empathy. Humans have evolved to think that rare things are valuable, and nothing is more rare than the life forms that have evolved on earth. I like to create things and seeing things needlessly destroyed makes me sad, so I am an environmentalist. No "why" is needed beyond that's how I and most other humans are wired. Humans are tribal and we sometimes have difficulty solving problems because we can't get everyone to see that all humans are part of one big tribe. Appealing to things like the inherent value of nature or the purpose of life seems like a way to try to get around that problem by inventing a rallying point we can all get around.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 7, 2018

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
It’s early but does anyone know or have thoughts if the Carbon Engineering stuff is legit, or how helpful it could end up being?

http://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/562289/

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I did a little reading on geoengineering recently. Nothing in depth, but it gave me the impression that we can expect a trickle of helpful technologies going forward.

At first blush, it looks like the stuff of [compliment to a baseline emissions-reduction strategy] predictions.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

So It Goes posted:

It’s early but does anyone know or have thoughts if the Carbon Engineering stuff is legit, or how helpful it could end up being?

The costs they advertise are pretty low and it looks like a pretty rigorous study. Unfortunately their process conveniently ends with a pure CO2 steam. Nothing about what to ultimately do with that stream and really that's the hardest part.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

spf3million posted:

The costs they advertise are pretty low and it looks like a pretty rigorous study. Unfortunately their process conveniently ends with a pure CO2 steam. Nothing about what to ultimately do with that stream and really that's the hardest part.
pump it into a giant greenhouse / artificial rainforest

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Scott Pruitt claimed that human activity is not the largest factor causing global climate change, so a judge ordered him to prove it after a lawsuit.

I think he might have softened his disbelief a bit since, so it might be worth checking up on this case later.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil_Greven posted:

Scott Pruitt claimed that human activity is not the largest factor causing global climate change, so a judge ordered him to prove it after a lawsuit.

I think he might have softened his disbelief a bit since, so it might be worth checking up on this case later.

I'm not holding my breath for a reaction; the mere notion that Pruitt is still a public administratior week after week of increasingly-severe misconduct reflects an utter breakdown of accountability and enforcement.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1006384009826394112
This, too, is fine.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

So It Goes posted:

This is somewhat similar to the CarbFix that I was posting about earlier, and it looks like they're both headed to the same goal, $100/ton of CO2. Also both funded in part by Bill Gates.

It is legit; both of these are in actual use , so it isn't theoretical. Getting the cost down will be the main goal, I would assume.

I guess one question would be, assuming that we have this technology and can deploy it at a large scale starting in 2025 or so, what would be the goal for CO2 levels? Stable at current year levels or would we want to revert back to pre-industrial 270ppm if we could? The latter could end up with a lot of biomass dying off.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Arkane posted:

This is somewhat similar to the CarbFix that I was posting about earlier, and it looks like they're both headed to the same goal, $100/ton of CO2. Also both funded in part by Bill Gates.

It is legit; both of these are in actual use , so it isn't theoretical. Getting the cost down will be the main goal, I would assume.

I guess one question would be, assuming that we have this technology and can deploy it at a large scale starting in 2025 or so, what would be the goal for CO2 levels? Stable at current year levels or would we want to revert back to pre-industrial 270ppm if we could? The latter could end up with a lot of biomass dying off.

What's the energy budget for the process? How does it compare to a change in agricultural practices to sequester carbon?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

VideoGameVet posted:

What's the energy budget for the process? How does it compare to a change in agricultural practices to sequester carbon?

I don't know the answer to these questions.

I would imagine very minimal and much cheaper respectively. The current iteration of CarbFix runs in conjunction with a geoengineering plant, so it has created a negative emissions power plant.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
And it won't ever scale, for either capacity or price, just like all the rest.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

call to action posted:

And it won't ever scale, for either capacity or price, just like all the rest.

Which is why I cited "changing agricultural practices." That seems the most practical sequestration tech.

And the "Impossible Burger" is decent.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Which is why I cited "changing agricultural practices." That seems the most practical sequestration tech.

And the "Impossible Burger" is decent.

The price for direct air capture of carbon has already fallen dramatically, so it is possible to see that trend continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't wait till 2050 when exxon is running nuke plants in international waters to capture carbon and pump it back into ultra-deepwater wells to bring up their pressure and pump more oil out of them