Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Dante's Peak is to Volcano as Deep Impact is to Armageddon.

Irradiation fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
The scene where the couple gets boiled alive in hot spring terrified me as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ZzZ4370b4

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

CollegeCop posted:

Just to make sure we are talking about the same movie here, the Dante's Peak I'm thinking of had a scene where Pierce Brosnan drove a pickup truck across a lava field, and the lava stuck to the tires like some kind of florescent mud instead of blowing them out / setting them on fire immediately.

Is that the movie you're thinking of?

Hell yeah brother

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

weg posted:

The scene where the couple gets boiled alive in hot spring terrified me as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ZzZ4370b4

A dude actually died like that

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-dead-yellowstone-national-park-hot-spring-hot-pot-quest-report/

There was another story of a guy who jumped into a spring to rescue his dog. They died.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

aphid_licker posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-dead-yellowstone-national-park-hot-spring-hot-pot-quest-report/

There was another story of a guy who jumped into a spring to rescue his dog. They died.

Could be worse

quote:

ES MOINES, Iowa — A father and his son who were so close that they were "like glue" were killed Saturday by noxious fumes from an Iowa hog manure pit — the second father and son in the Midwest to die of poisonous manure pit gases this month.
The Iowa case is not isolated; on July 7 a father and son were killed at a Wisconsin farm while trying to retrieve a broken wheel from a hog manure pit, according to theBullvine, a news outlet for dairy farmers.

In 2007, four Virginia family members and a hired farm hand were killed by gases at a dairy farm while trying to save one another, according to the Washington Post.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kibayasu posted:

Part 2: smooth the ride out significantly by putting suspension on the shoes themselves!

Don't be silly.

Shock absorbing inserts.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

aphid_licker posted:

He was part of the problem.

Now he is part of the solution!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Booo!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Poseidon is a tricky foe. Just shooting at the ocean was never going to work.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So I was looking at cryogenic power cables - I think you can get high-temperature superconducting cables rated for 4160V, three phases, at 2000+ amps in a single cable with liquid nitrogen pumped through the center.

So if there’s a failure you might simultaneously get:
- Shocked
- Arc flashed/arc blasted
- Frozen

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

So I was looking at cryogenic power cables - I think you can get high-temperature superconducting cables rated for 4160V, three phases, at 2000+ amps in a single cable with liquid nitrogen pumped through the center.

- Shocked
- Frozen

That's how you flash freeze something.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

- Shocked
- Frozen

Depending on the size of the space you're in you can become asphyxiated too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I got mad attaboys at work today for catching a loose lug on our 300HP compressor while swapping out a 24v control relay

Peak irony is that it got that way when they replaced the starter to one compatible with the new fire suppression system

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Proteus Jones posted:

One of the rare days I come to work in the office and this is what I see out the window:

That's about three stories up. Some of them are wearing harnesses, but they aren't connected to anything.

That's not so bad. I've watched guys work on 12:12 with just a couple of roof jacks here and there but no lines. The trick is to not fall off. Me, I piss my pants working on anything more than a couple degrees pitch. Roofers are crazy.

As a roofer friend of mine once said, "Sometimes... I wish I would fall off the roof and die. That way, I wouldn't have to roof any more."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Three-Phase posted:

- Shocked
- Frozen

What’s the critical current for a cable like that?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mostlygray posted:

As a roofer friend of mine once said, "Sometimes... I wish I would fall off the roof and die. That way, I wouldn't have to roof any more."

:catstare:

I don't recall any of the geology stuff from Tremors, I'm going to have to line up a rewatch.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I consider Tremors as geology adjacent instead of geology related.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The monster movie that breaks new ground.

They say there's nothing new under the sun. But under the ground...

The ultimate underground movie. It will leave you legless!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Let me tell you about the Pleistocene alluvials.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
From the "cursed images" thread...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pharaohs gonna be pissed his blocks not only late but also now out of spec.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

what the gently caress posted:

:stare:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Payday 2 DLC is really stretching itself thin; it's just a naked cash grab at this point.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/DaveMosher/status/1004427157538508800

That's a fairly decent size cove that's not there anymore.

I would say that it's lovely rock you can't build on but I guess that's kind of the whole of Hawaii, so :shrug:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I don't see the problem, there isn't any loose clothing that can get caught in the cutting wheel.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/DaveMosher/status/1004427157538508800

That's a fairly decent size cove that's not there anymore.

I would say that it's lovely rock you can't build on but I guess that's kind of the whole of Hawaii, so :shrug:

Why is it purple though? Did the Hulk drop his pants there?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Three-Phase posted:

- Shocked
- Frozen

The point of failure in the cable will act almost like a bolted fault, so in addition to 2000 amps suddenly trying to get conducted through a wire roughly 8 gauge, you'll have all the liquid nitrogen violently boiling off.

So arc flashed, with extra bits of ceramic grit and insulation in the blast, your lungs will be extremely displeased both by the low oxygen content AND the fact that the nitrogen is still like -100 F, and if you're a preferential ground path you learn why you shouldn't be.

All in all A+ would watch on a low res security camera feed again.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Coxswain Balls posted:

I don't see the problem, there isn't any loose clothing that can get caught in the cutting wheel.

hair not tied back or secured.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why is it purple though? Did the Hulk drop his pants there?

I'm not sure it's a true colour image, I'm poking around to see if I can figure out which bandwidths are being combined for that picture. Taken by the WorldView-2 satellite, which has RGB and 8-band multispectral sensors on board. It could just be an artefact of how the lava appears from 772 kilometers up.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://terminallance.com/2018/06/01/terminal-lance-518-hot-brass/

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

deoju posted:

He should turn the shower on to keep the dust down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Memento posted:

I'm not sure it's a true colour image, I'm poking around to see if I can figure out which bandwidths are being combined for that picture. Taken by the WorldView-2 satellite, which has RGB and 8-band multispectral sensors on board. It could just be an artefact of how the lava appears from 772 kilometers up.

It's not uncommon in RGB digital imaging for extremely hot objects to appear purplish due to the infrared light bleeding through imperfect bandpass filters.

I don't have any idea if this affects the sort of sensors and filters that they carry on satellites but I could believe that it does.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

http://www.string-emil.de/Durch_die_Wand/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sagebrush posted:

It's not uncommon in RGB digital imaging for extremely hot objects to appear purplish due to the infrared light bleeding through imperfect bandpass filters.

I don't have any idea if this affects the sort of sensors and filters that they carry on satellites but I could believe that it does.

That makes a lot of sense, Worldview-2 has been up for nearly 9 years so it won't necessarily have the best sensors on it.

This is from a couple of days ago, SWIR image of the same area. It's still clearly hot as gently caress there.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Coming through, hot new real estate!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hot molten lava, high viscosity

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I feel so bad for those people that lost their homes. But what the gently caress can you even do vs. lava?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Choose not to live there or have volcano insurance.