Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Look, my sister has Down Syndrome, and while I deeply appreciate the work you do as an advocate, nobody cares about the drat apostrophe.

Pretend I quoted myself from the part where I pointed out that this is bullshit, based on the fact that literally dozens of groups ask you not to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
And the fact that you and they are wasting time screaming and kicking about this irrelevant non-issue while actual issues go unaddressed depresses me deeply. My sister might end up on the street if anything happens to me and my family, but thank God you loving "advocates" are here to make sure nobody uses an apostrophe to describe her.

vvvv I'm not gonna poo poo up this thread any further by dignifying that with an actual response.

Dachshundofdoom has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Jun 6, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Dachshundofdoom posted:

And the fact that you and they are wasting time screaming and kicking about this irrelevant non-issue while actual issues go unaddressed depresses me deeply. My sister might end up on the street if anything happens to me and my family, but thank God you loving "advocates" are here to make sure nobody uses an apostrophe to describe her.

Yes. It must be that, somehow, they’ve all decided to focus on things that are not significant. As we know, words are not a real issue. Perhaps you should apply to work for them, so you can set them, and their hundreds of advocates and policy-makers, straight on what really matters.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Shut the apostrofuck up.

https://twitter.com/PaulaReidCBS/status/1004138505751203841

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Mapplethorpe Eyewitness News.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmbo

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Pretend I quoted myself from the part where I pointed out that this is bullshit, based on the fact that literally dozens of groups ask you not to use it.

There are not dozen's of advocacy groups asking people not to do it, you are really really confused about what they are asking for. I know it's really hard to admit you're wrong on the internet and I'm not going to ask you to do that but just to clear up where your mistake is. The issue is not with the name of the condition, calling it Down's syndrome is fine, you call it Down Syndrome in the US, that is also fine. The difference exists because doctors in the US wanted consistent nomenclature for conditions named after the first person with it, and ones named after the person who first described it.

What you're thinking of is the thing where we ask people not to define people by the condition they have, so do not refer to child born with Down's syndrome as a Down's Baby and things like that. This is a real issue in the world of disability and the push to change how people use language to describe people who are living with this and other conditions. It's good that you care so much about this topic, but try to focus your attention on the real issue.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 11:23 on Jun 6, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ this is a silly rear end derail

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/status/1004352334686818304

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I will suffer no competition Donny boy!
Just how many types of Gouda can you even name huh?!
I bet you're one of those troglodytes who pronounces Parmigiano as 'parmesan'.
🧀

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The real Commander of Cheese will not be amused by this mishap

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Sex Hobbit posted:

Oh now I need to know which one, because I went to high school in Naperville and our school cop was an enormous bitch who loved nothing more than screaming obscenities at people and smugly hollering about how she "[didn't] like people standing on [her] GUN SIDE."

gently caress you, Erin Gibler. I still remember you screaming at our entire prom table over something we didn't even do.

I haven't been back in over a decade or more easy so I don't know how it is now, but Maywood.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

There are not dozen's of advocacy groups asking people not to do it, you are really really confused about what they are asking for.

There literally are, and I am not confused. It’s in their literature, and on their websites, and it’s in what they will tell you to your face when you speak to them. Feel free to show up to any event hosted by any of those groups, and run around saying “Down’s.”

I can’t believe you dug this poo poo back up after a day.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
"Doctor, Doctor! I've got Bright's disease, and he's got mine!"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Woman catches foul ball in beer at Padres game, proceeds to chug the beer with the ball in it

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

One of my goals for the year is to make a new friend, and I think I've just found her :swoon:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:perfect:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IHOP's changing its name to IHOb, and it's causing an uproar online
Do not click: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ihop-ihob-pancakes-fast-food-1.4693961?cmp=FB_Post_News

The article is garbage. An article about the online reaction to an obvious marketing stunt in a foreign country. What? WTF are you even doing CBC?

She did it for love: Rare wild owl tries burrowing into Manitoba enclosure to find mate
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/burrowing-owl-love-1.4693561?cmp=FB_Post_News

Okay, I forgive you, this one is much better. A horny owl tried to break into owl prison to gently caress. And it happened in canada. That's news I can get behind.

e:

Facebook Aunt has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Jun 7, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Facebook Aunt posted:

IHOP's changing its name to IHOb, and it's causing an uproar online
Do not click: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ihop-ihob-pancakes-fast-food-1.4693961?cmp=FB_Post_News

The article is garbage. An article about the online reaction to an obvious marketing stunt in a foreign country. What? WTF are you even doing CBC?

She did it for love: Rare wild owl tries burrowing into Manitoba enclosure to find mate
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/burrowing-owl-love-1.4693561?cmp=FB_Post_News

Okay, I forgive you, this one is much better. A horny owl tried to break into owl prison to gently caress. And it happened in canada. That's news I can get behind.

e:

If the owl is rare why won't they let her gently caress???
Maybe I should read the article but so far I am outraged

Edit turns out they did let her gently caress

Dixville has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jun 7, 2018

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Samuringa posted:

I remember that LP, too.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

The woman was (and still is) homeless, and that incident has created more awareness about the lack of open facilities for individuals in that situation. Sure doesn't help that plenty of them are mentally ill or high as a kite and act erratic, so businesses don't want to just open the bathrooms up for anyone to go in and shoot up or smear poo poo in. Shockingly, minimum wage employee's resent being ordered to clean up bio-hazard messes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Trump is The Cheese, once Mendez defeats him he will become the Big Cheese.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Trump is The Cheese, once Mendez defeats him he will become the Big Cheese.

"I AM THE CHEESE. I AM THE BEST LEADER IN THE WORLD. I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE TRUDEAU AND THE MERKEL COMBINED."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Cool reference bro.:coolfish:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Barry Bluejeans posted:

"I AM THE CHEESE. I AM THE BEST LEADER IN THE WORLD. I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE TRUDEAU AND THE MERKEL COMBINED."

Can't wait for the Mayo Jar episode of the Trump Presidency.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

There literally are, and I am not confused. It’s in their literature, and on their websites, and it’s in what they will tell you to your face when you speak to them. Feel free to show up to any event hosted by any of those groups, and run around saying “Down’s.”

I can’t believe you dug this poo poo back up after a day.

Shut the gently caress up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

There literally are, and I am not confused. It’s in their literature, and on their websites,
Oh sweet so you can easily provide links to advocacy websites saying "Down's syndrome is offensive terminology" so we can end this. (Dropping the "syndrome" is a whole other kettle of fish)

Splicer has a new favorite as of 13:30 on Jun 7, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
https://www.globaldownsyndrome.org/about-down-syndrome/words-can-hurt/

They really hate that possessive apostrophe. Now please stop, you're all being dicks. All of you. That took four seconds.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fizzymercy posted:

They really hate that possessive apostrophe. Now please stop, you're all being dicks. All of you. That took four seconds.

Did you even read the page you linked? Because I did, and it doesn't say what you think it says.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiggum posted:

Did you even read the page you linked? Because I did, and it doesn't say what you think it says.

whooooo caaaaares

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

fizzymercy posted:

Wait, lets read what you linked to there

quote:

Down syndrome is named after a doctor in the UK named John Langdon Down. Originally, it was referred to as his syndrome – Down’s Syndrome. In the UK, Europe and many other countries, the correct term still remains “Down’s Syndrome.” In the U.S., it was changed to Down syndrome (drop the possessive) as to emphasize that it was not Dr. Down who had the syndrome nor was it his.

Oh yeah you're totally loving wrong as stated by the link you posted.

It's people first language that is the issue they're talking about, yu can read all about in this handy link I just happen to have at hand

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Why doesn't Trump, the biggest cheese, just eat the other world leaders?

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
Nobody cares. Especially not the retards. Because they're too retarded to care. Stop being offended on other people's behalf.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I was being sarcastic you guys holy goddamn.

UFO's are real now!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fmr-manager-of-dod-aerospace-threat-program-ufos_us_59de2f4be4b0b992a8214874

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

fizzymercy posted:

I was only pretending to be retarded you guys holy goddamn.

Canada: anguished drivers say plane to blame for poo that fell from sky

Officials investigate ‘possible debris coming from aircraft’ after drivers deluged by foul-smelling brown liquid in British Columbia

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1004533422516252672

There's no way this can go wrong

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can we please not, science?

We were doing good things, we don't need this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005