Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So quick question, if for some reason you end up at 0 health like feeding your health into a recruitment of a guy into your cult because you missed the statement that it would eat it is there any way to actually handle the next time an affliction pops up? I had messed up some other stuff so eating a game over didn't make me upset, but it seems like such a weird fail state (and it takes a while for it to pop up and finish you off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

You can get vitality from events that don't require health - going to the club and dreaming come to mind, and make health from there by studying your physique skill (or studying them directly if you don't have physique yet).

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Demiurge4 posted:

Maintaining ascension once you get the third mark isn't all that hard actually. If you can't fulfil the requirement it'll ask for glimmersing or erudition instead. If you can't fulfil that, only THEN does it consume reason or passion.

Problem with this: That doesn't maintain anything past the third mark, you downgrade gradually to it. And it does not Consume reason or passion, it exhausts it.

Only the requirement advances you or maintains you at 6. So sit at 3 until you're ready.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

Problem with this: That doesn't maintain anything past the third mark, you downgrade gradually to it. And it does not Consume reason or passion, it exhausts it.

Only the requirement advances you or maintains you at 6. So sit at 3 until you're ready.

Yeah the mechanic could use an upgrade, for Forge it was super easy but there should probably be more of an incentive to progress your marks. Maybe if entering a gate had a mark requirement and it pulls in your ambition.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile, I somehow got the minor victory with the starting investigator. I just kept grilling the perp with only two reason, on top of club visits for Contentment, a Junior job at G&G, and trying to decipher a book or two. The end result was I got someone killed, then I analyzed some Damning Evidence which let me get a promotion and end the game.

Am I playing this game right. Can I even try for a cult as a promoted investigator.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is it just me or does the Maid-in-the-Mirror trivialise expeditions? Edge and Winter seem to cover 80% of all hazards and if the timer starts to run low the things can summon themselves. Throw a Red Prophet in the assistant slot and all you're really missing is Lantern.

Game's got a fun concept, but it seems to derive most of its challenge from being passive-aggressively unfun to play. Having to work out what you need to do by experimenting, okay. Having to construct your own interface and constantly repair it as the game flicks cards around and hides them under other cards is, uh, hosed. Also, it's far, far too long. Like, three or five times as long as it really should be. Finally ascending was more of a relief than an achievement.

Alexis Kennedy needs to be shot, is what I'm saying.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
She's probably the 2nd best summon yeah. Edge and Forge is a much better combination for passing obstacles, but leaves you vulnerable to one of the three curses. So far as I've kept notes, King Crucible cannot die on an expedition. He can be stopped by Hidden Doors, and he'll happily trip every Curse in the game for you, but he's a unstoppable juggernaut of loving things up. Whereas the Maid-in-the-Mirror will happily sink into a swamp, be swallowed by a desert, or be eaten in the woods.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

widespread posted:

Meanwhile, I somehow got the minor victory with the starting investigator. I just kept grilling the perp with only two reason, on top of club visits for Contentment, a Junior job at G&G, and trying to decipher a book or two. The end result was I got someone killed, then I analyzed some Damning Evidence which let me get a promotion and end the game.

Am I playing this game right. Can I even try for a cult as a promoted investigator.

Promoting ends the game. As an investigator, you can lose your job, get a job at the law firm, and then proceed to a cult, recruit the "troublemaker", etc.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

UberJew posted:

only took fifteen hours

handy trick: did you know there is someone you can summon with the help of Secret Histories?

managed it on a basic three-element rite with their help, and something from beyond the deepest gate
btw this is pretty drat impressive! I can't wait to try it out. I assume there's some kind of spooky influence you get behind the Peacock door that helps out with this.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
That's just a standard Enlightment victory, FYI. Not that any of the standard victories aren't accomplishments. It's a little harder than Power, because all you need for Power is to be fabulously wealthy. But not really much harder.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TheBlandName posted:

That's just a standard Enlightment victory, FYI. Not that any of the standard victories aren't accomplishments. It's a little harder than Power, because all you need for Power is to be fabulously wealthy. But not really much harder.

Could someone give me a hint as to how I progress past Dedication: Enlightenment? Every time this card gets sucked up by the red magnet event, it just gives me Restlessness. I've got past the Spider and Peacock doors, but I'm not quite sure what to do next. The text on the card seems to suggest I should use a specific rite with grail aspect - do I want a rite that uses grail and lantern?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Could someone give me a hint as to how I progress past Dedication: Enlightenment? Every time this card gets sucked up by the red magnet event, it just gives me Restlessness. I've got past the Spider and Peacock doors, but I'm not quite sure what to do next. The text on the card seems to suggest I should use a specific rite with grail aspect - do I want a rite that uses grail and lantern?

Hint: check out what type of cards can go into the work verb besides jobs and rites.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

TheBlandName posted:

Ah, boo. I'm currently doing a winter cult for the heck of it (the fact I get Creepy Murder Grandma is just icing on the cake). I wouldn't be surprised if it involved paying close attention to what the various books and Lores say when you're studying them.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Hint: check out what type of cards can go into the work verb besides jobs and rites.

That's so obvious now you said it :smith:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Promoting ends the game. As an investigator, you can lose your job, get a job at the law firm, and then proceed to a cult, recruit the "troublemaker", etc.

I know it ends. I’m asking if this new job post-promotion will let me do cult stuff or I have to voluntarily dive into occult.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

RoboCicero posted:

btw this is pretty drat impressive! I can't wait to try it out. I assume there's some kind of spooky influence you get behind the Peacock door that helps out with this.

Yep! 10 from my Lore, 12 from assistant, 15! from a very spooky influence

I had two mirrors and a lot of magic coinage for repairs so I pretty much spammed it looking for stuff since I'd never gotten past the midgame before. I learned to translate a language I've yet to see a book of. I sadly reached a point where I realized I had everything I needed to win except a huge influence and it was incredibly late night so I stopped bothering with anything else and kept my Study verb busy constantly maintaining the Most Incredible Summon since she's a tutor!

I do wish there was an ending that gave more purpose to acquiring a wide variety of powerful lores and lategame exploration. There's an entire tier of expeditions I never had any need to see and I only ran one or two tier 3-5 total and once you've figured out a couple summon rituals you honestly don't need any more, so lategame was a pretty dull affair.

More rite results than summons and stat manipulation (and as near as I can tell the one throwaway largely useless murder spell) would be nice! And new Ascensions/Starts, so I'm probably done until the next content patch hits

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
oh my god the lore gate-ing adds so much useless time to this game

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The soundtracks for The Last Door 1 & 2 really pair well with this game

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
this game sucks I can't stop playing it

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’m inching closer to the Spider Door and really starting to crush Expeditions reliably thanks to summoned minions. Haven’t done any red ones yet but I’m about to. Do all summoned minions expire, or are there one or two that stick around?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
The inspector wouldn't take a hint so I sent one.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

this game sucks I can't stop playing it

i bet this game works irl and im gonna prove it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Soup du Journey posted:

i bet this game works irl and im gonna prove it

irl doesn't give you any summons and there's no mansus but you can just buy all the grimoires of amazon

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think it would improve this game a lot, both in terms of replayability and tedium, if instead of just buying a million random books from the shops you could instead hunt down specific types of lore in a semi-reliable way. Maybe the shops could get you started but then you can dream about a lore piece and a matching influence or something for a chance to get another lore piece of that type.

Also the type of lore you use to hunt for recruits should affect the type of recruit you get from it.

Basically any part of the game where you want a specific type of thing but the only way to get it is to draw randomly until it comes up is sort of awful.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Can’t you convert lore pieces into other types? I’ve never needed to do it yet—though maybe I can try that to get one of the Spider Door unlocks.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

UberJew posted:

irl doesn't give you any summons and there's no mansus but you can just buy all the grimoires of amazon

There's some stuff you can't find online, you gotta grind random encounters for them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

Can’t you convert lore pieces into other types? I’ve never needed to do it yet—though maybe I can try that to get one of the Spider Door unlocks.

Yes you can.

If you study a lore, you can "subvert" it with a second type of lore. Each aspect has only one other aspect that will subvert it. If you subvert a lore with the a lore of the same level, the second lore will upgrade and the first lore will be consumed

It's not reliable enough if you ask me. I'm only on my second playthrough, but I've sat through tons of cycles where I knew what was going to happen and how and just wasn't getting lucky on my rolls.

This game is ultimately kinda trash I'm afraid. There's not nearly enough random passage of time events to keep it an interesting challenge. You can settle into a steady rhythm really easily where the only actual obstacle is how loving long everything you want to do takes to do. It's a long time. It takes a long time.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tehan posted:

There's some stuff you can't find online, you gotta grind random encounters for them.

True, and the actual best stuff you have to find insightful folks to use the Study verb with and the IRL Talk verb is much harder to use

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, you can, but I'm facing the exact thing in your spoiler and it's probably going to take me like 20 rounds of combining poo poo to get there.

Basically it feels like my cult doesn't really have a focus beyond what color I use to promote people, since I have followers and lore of every type in mostly equal measure (it doesn't help that my cult's type is grail, so my Cyprians only stand out in that they can generate prisoners at will). Playing one type of cult should feel super different from another type, but I feel like I could restart and pick everything differently and I'd end up building the same library of lore and having mostly the same selection of buddies and capabilities and such at hand.

e: Also, yeah, not only does everything take ages, but you pretty quickly get to where there's no opposition to speak of. I have a giant-rear end cult and I summon demons every weekend. Shouldn't there be more coming after me than one dude diligently patching together one piece of evidence over the course of minutes and then putting it right where my evidence-disposal guy will find it, just like the last ten times?

megane fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 7, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

PostNouveau posted:

Yes you can.

If you study a lore, you can "subvert" it with a second type of lore. Each aspect has only one other aspect that will subvert it. If you subvert a lore with the a lore of the same level, the second lore will upgrade and the first lore will be consumed

It's not reliable enough if you ask me. I'm only on my second playthrough, but I've sat through tons of cycles where I knew what was going to happen and how and just wasn't getting lucky on my rolls.

This game is ultimately kinda trash I'm afraid. There's not nearly enough random passage of time events to keep it an interesting challenge. You can settle into a steady rhythm really easily where the only actual obstacle is how loving long everything you want to do takes to do. It's a long time. It takes a long time.

Cool, good to know.

As for the time thing I’m still having fun with it even though it takes time; the most annoying thing right now is upgrading Lore fragments, because it takes ages to mash everything together. I love the game but it’s this hole that I keep shoveling hours into and I lose all track of time.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
So (spoilers?) It seems pretty clear that there's a destroy-the-world ending that involves helping the sun god reclaim its former glory in here somewhere. Has anyone got any ideas?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ZeusJupitar posted:

So (spoilers?) It seems pretty clear that there's a destroy-the-world ending that involves helping the sun god reclaim its former glory in here somewhere. Has anyone got any ideas?

Is that clear? What are you seeing that makes you think that?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Maybe that’s the achievement nobody has yet.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Maybe that’s the achievement nobody has yet.

Ah yeah, that one looks like it's for opening the Tricsupid Gate. Tricky. You can't use anything to Ascend to Peacock that isn't a tool, and I assume every one of those has been found and tried already. Worth maybe trying the ultimate Lantern/Knock lores in the other gates?

Short of that, a ritual?

e: Has anyone got a save with the Peacock Gate open?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 7, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm behind this thread, I think, but I let out an actual real-world diabolical giggle when I realized that the Stag Gate provides an infinite supply of basically-safe midgame Knock influence.

Go forth and conquer, my ghost buddies / gloopy grail whatsits / dudes made out of drumbeats

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Dear diary: I'm probably going to quit this cult business and go full time paining. I have 200 Funds and a basically infinite amount of bullshit and Mystique that my buyers think is worth something. There is this random detective who has spent a 3 literal hours in my gallery trying to find something to charge me with, but that's a small price to pay.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

Is that clear? What are you seeing that makes you think that?

The achievement, the foreshadowing 'Dream of the Cleansing Dawn', that a Cthulhu cultist game not having a destroy-the-world ending would be really weird. But mostly that the developer said there was on the kickstarter page.

Unless there isn't and the goal is to go mad looking for it.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 7, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there any way to know how many 'levels' of an Aspect do I need to pass each Location test? I'm just dumping a pair of hirelings on each expeditions to take the blows, but it's annoyingly slow.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there any way to know how many 'levels' of an Aspect do I need to pass each Location test? I'm just dumping a pair of hirelings on each expeditions to take the blows, but it's annoyingly slow.

Every obstacle you meet on an Expedition has the same difficulty levels; 1-4 levels is a low chance of success, 5-9 is a good chance, and 10+ is almost certain. Or do you mean “how do I tell which tests I need to pass in an Expedition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

The expedition hazards? It's the same for each hazard. 10 points is certain success for everything, lesser numbers I'm not sure of but cult business success rates are (apparently) 30% for 2 points (believers) and 70% for 5 points (disciples).

ZeusJupitar posted:

The achievement, the foreshadowing 'Dream of the Cleansing Dawn', that a Cthulhu cultist game not having a destroy-the-world ending would be really weird. But mostly that the developer said there was on the kickstarter page.

Unless there isn't and the goal is to go mad looking for it.

Yeah, I worked out what you were talking about when I checked the cheevo list. I think it's got something to do with the Tricuspid Gate because of the image chosen but a little googling suggests it's not implemented yet.

Nosing around in the game files is the way to know for certain, if anyone has a copy of Unity (and a soul that hates fun).

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 7, 2018