Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Der Shovel posted:

God damnit I'd forgotten what a massive twat Owen is in that video.

I'm pretty sure the in that video bit is completely redundant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Pellegrini: “The challenge with West Ham is spectacular. I will force the owners to form a competitive team because they are rich but careful with money. They need to loosen up to make an important investment and thus bring the players we need.“

That just sounds like he knows the boards reputation of being tight and that he aims to force their hand. Nothing to really indicate that he's already being blocked

It mentions "friends" who he's complained to so he's probably allowed the leak to get the David's to stop loving around. I mean, is it really that odd to believe they are considering their past behaviour

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
zaba hart and pellegrini are absolutely sharing a dog end around the back of the olympic stadium trying to figure out how to get yaya and elano to come and play

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

trying to figure out how to get yaya to come and play

Just add him to their World Cup winners’ statue on Bobby Moore’s shoulders, that should do it

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Eau de MacGowan posted:

zaba hart and pellegrini are absolutely sharing a dog end around the back of the olympic stadium trying to figure out how to get yaya and elano to come and play

Joe Hart is City's problem again now. I'm sure he can work his way back into England contention with a loan at Shrewsbury next season.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Crazy how, in recent years, two keepers (Casillas, Hart) considered to be among the best have fallen off a cliff. Is confidence that big of a factor for keepers, or is it just some crazy set of occurrences?

I know Hart wasn't quite at the same level as Casillas, but he was a nailed-on starter for Man City & England, and didn't seem too crap.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hart was always bad and people just ignored it because the media loved him.

Casillas was legitimately rivaling Buffon for best modern goalkeeper until Jose Mourinho broke him.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

Shroud posted:

I know Hart wasn't quite at the same level as Casillas

Mate

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
...did casillas fall off that much? i thought he just kind of got chased out of RM for no particularly good reason and has been excellent with porto*

*note the only time i've seen porto play recently was when they got destroyed by liverpool

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'll never get past the fact that Michael Owen has seen like 4 movies, if that. What a weirdo

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'll never get past the fact that Michael Owen has seen like 4 movies, if that. What a weirdo

I think the last count was 10 films.

And for some extra insight...

quote:

Carragher has now revealed all on his former teammate, explaining that Owen cannot detach himself from reality to watch a film.

“We knew how much he hated films at Liverpool,” he told ShortList magazine. “I’d ask him why, he’d say: ‘Well it’s not real is it? Why bother when it’s not real?’ And I was like ‘Oh my God!’

“I mean, I’m not a massive film watcher, but he hated them.”

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

bewbies posted:

...did casillas fall off that much? i thought he just kind of got chased out of RM for no particularly good reason and has been excellent with porto*

*note the only time i've seen porto play recently was when they got destroyed by liverpool

He was on the decline when he left Madrid, and as far as I know has only gotten worse at Porto.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Goalkeeprs in general stay good then completely fall off a cliff in terms of performance. Cech is the same, he's been so solid and then particularly second half of this season has been poo poo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

bewbies posted:

He's been rear end actually and was always a fraud

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/casillas-dropped-for-poor-training-performance-conceicao/vx4ph9lr3fv112yjw5e8aq4os

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Joe Hart has alwys been complete trash it’s just that english people are unable to tell what good goalkeeping looks like and if you shout at the defense a lot and make flashy diving saves instead of catching the ball they are wowed

Lemon
May 22, 2003

We went from having a world-class keeper in Seaman to dogshit for so long that even the slightest sniff of competence was blown out of all proportion.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lemon posted:

We went from having a world-class keeper in Seaman to dogshit for so long that even the slightest sniff of competence was blown out of all proportion.

Hart didn't even have that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That article says he kept 7 clean sheets in 10 games. Also they just re-signed him on a new contract.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lemon posted:

Mad Jens was p.good imo

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Brony Car posted:

I saw Jurassic Park like 3 or 4 times in the cinema and it was loving awesome every single time.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brony Car posted:

michel owen is literally retarded, who would've thought?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Vegetable posted:

That article says he kept 7 clean sheets in 10 games. Also they just re-signed him on a new contract.

How much you want to bet that those three games were the ones that actually matter in the Portuguese league, ie against Sporting or Benfica. Here's another article from the year before:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/13712/extra-time/2016/05/19/23714982/its-official-casillas-is-portos-worst-goalkeeper-in-15-years

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Him palming a shot up and into the goal behind him in the champions league was funny

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Hart kept like 45% clean sheets for 3 straight years in the prem.

He definitely sucks right now, though.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

How much of that was Kompany in his prime?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

How much of that was Kompany in his prime?

All of it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Kompany had an injury riddled 12/13 and kinda sucked.

But yea, Kompany was an extremely good defender who played in front of Hart.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Great stats or maybe bad or average who actually knows, but he was never good

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

it should be illegal to imply joe hart is good and not post the gif from the euros of him sticking his tongue out and making faces then getting owned

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Antares posted:

it should be illegal to imply joe hart is good and not post the gif from the euros of him sticking his tongue out and making faces then getting owned

I know this is not a gif but it owns anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXFWmpB-cPQ

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I know this is not a gif but it owns anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXFWmpB-cPQ

in my mind's eye the broadcast angle was even funnier but i dont remember now. just imagine having to caption this poo poo with 500 words about how he's Actually Good

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Meet the new ball, not the same as the old ball.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2018/01/all-new-nike-premier-league-merlin-18-19-ball.html

4 panels.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weird stuff gonna happen

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Why are they so obsessed with reducing seams? Aren't the seams what makes it aerodynamically stable?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

vyelkin posted:

Why are they so obsessed with reducing seams? Aren't the seams what makes it aerodynamically stable?

It looks like they reduced the seams then added in :airquote: Nike Aerowtrac grooves for more consistency in ball spin :airquote:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pik_d posted:

It looks like they reduced the seams then added in :airquote: Nike Aerowtrac grooves for more consistency in ball spin :airquote:

The current ball has those grooves too.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
They’re not seams they’re just made to look like seams.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's too round, if anything

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Looks like Amazon have gotten some PL rights.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jun/07/amazon-breaks-premier-league-hold-of-sky-and-bt-with-streaming-deal?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

“4-panel construction reduces seams and enlarges the striking surface”

Enlarged the striking surface?? It’s a ball. you can strike it everywhere, what the hell does that even mean?

• Locked thread