Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level One: Gonzaga, Part 2
In which we prove our honor, or don't, and pass on to the Castle Perilous.

Those suggesting a chivalric response had the right idea; by getting Gonzaga to fight on our terms, we had a chance to actually best him. That being said, there is a solution that works quicker (in the sense of fewer selected actions), and one person nailed it:

Qrr posted:

He's not on a horse this time so we could probably run around him. He's in armor and we're not and it doesn't sound like he's standing at a choke point or anything. Of course that would ruin our relationship but the game doesn't track state so I'm sure it's fine.
Your logic was flawless, even if it wasn't the "best" solution. The game even called it a clearing, not a chokepoint. Sometimes the most obvious play is the one to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh my God, I love that "run around the guy in full plate and laugh at him while you disappear into the horizon" is an option.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

For someone who could have killed us multiple times, Gonzaga's a cool guy.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh my God, I love that "run around the guy in full plate and laugh at him while you disappear into the horizon" is an option.
One of the guys behind this wrote Paranoia and TOON; if anything, one should expect cartoonish notions to work. Except they sometimes really, really don't.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

MadMaze posted:

Nope. But surely the power of friendship will work!

"Gonzaga, valiant friend. It is not necessary for us to fight. I mean thee no harm. Let me be on my way."

"Sorry, good fellow. Duty calls. Have at thee!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXqBdYaCJ70&t=267s

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level One: Castle Perilous, The Approach
In which we fail to enter the Castle Perilous despite a brilliant plan or two, then cheat to make the game easier.

Sorry about the shorter length here; we should be seeing a lot more stuff in the next few updates as the options spiral madly out of control. Another 2-3 updates, probably, just to clear this one PoP. First things first though, we gotta get inside. But how?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Find the servants entrance. I have little faith in our climbing abilities, especially at night, and a disguise seems prone to us failing a bluff check (e.g. someone demanding a password). So it's either the servants or hoping there's another secret entrance by the cliffs.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually going to suggest trying The Cliffs, because I think I remember someone mentioning seaside cliffs earlier.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I agree. The Servants Entrance seems like the best chance -- I would think plenty of people would be coming and going through there. An evil castle can only keep servants for so long.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

curiousCat posted:

I agree. The Servants Entrance seems like the best chance -- I would think plenty of people would be coming and going through there. An evil castle can only keep servants for so long.
And even if they've had the same maids and such since the usurper took over, they still need to get food and sundries in and out of the castle, so there's bound to be a servant entrance with at least some traffic. Maybe we can slip into a delivery wagon or something.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

curiousCat posted:

This.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I say the cliffs; those were indeed mentioned.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

nweismuller posted:

I say the cliffs; those were indeed mentioned.

Agreed.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's try the cliffs, they're probably not quite as perilous as the castle itself will be.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I vote the cliffs as well. The servants aren't stupid, and would probably get in trouble if they let in an intruder.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Was there an option at the secret exit besides ambushing the guards, or was all that text given at the same time?

Servants' entrance seems very likely to work.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Qrr posted:

Was there an option at the secret exit besides ambushing the guards, or was all that text given at the same time?
You could leave, or wait. Neither does anything.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Approach in Disguise by which I mean knock on the door and ask to be let in without the whole, "Beat me, I am an idiot," routine.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I want to know what's around to the north.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level One: Castle Perilous, Within
In which we get inside the castle, and also try all the other ways of getting inside the castle.

Turns out that there weren't any alternate solutions for this one, which is too bad. Any time one could flee, however, one can escape the PoP safely and try again. Discretion the better part of valor and all that.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Head up until we can head up no more. We need that magic sword, and it is allegedly at the highest point of the castle.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
This castle is probably one of those with a super-confusing layout to try and confuse invaders, so the only way to reach the top is to paradoxically go down the ladder.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

We were told to go up, right? So the spiral stairs.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level One: Castle Perilous, Valterre
In which we do just about everything there is to do in the Castle Perilous except finish it.

Join us next time when we finish the tutorial of MadMaze. :getin:

Oh I guess we have to kill a weird scorpion monster first, but I'm sure that won't be a problem.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Aim between the mandibles.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Between the mandibles or one of the armpits is my best guess, too. If this is some kind of scorpion monster, it's got an armored exoskeleton all the way around. Our only sensible options are at joints or openings in the exoskeleton.

Also, "The Varnish Wars"? Was King Carlon deposed over a matter of furniture polish? Or does Sheltem's malevolence extend even to the MadMaze?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

The woodsman guy said to stab it in the back, so leaping to the back and stabbing it in the spinal cord is my vote, even though the woodsman has never seen Ogrok, and his experience is likely wildly irrelevant to magic scorpion monsters.

Also, if our ghosts can go on to talk to the Elder, than he should know whether or not the previous runner died. I don't know if that's just a one-time killscreen thing that only comes up in Perilous and is never relevant again, or if it's a hint that our predecessor isn't dead yet, but I guess we'll see.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Nakar posted:

Oh I guess we have to kill a weird scorpion monster first, but I'm sure that won't be a problem.

quote:

You can make out a monstrous form, a hexapod with huge pincers and a sting. Clacking its mandibles hungrily, it advances toward you.

:colbert:

Presumably it has no spine and therefore no spinal cord, so that route won't work. I'd go for eyestalk, but if they can mention nonexistent spinal cords then they can mention nonexistent eyestalks. Go for above the posterior sting. Should keep us away from its mandibles at any rate, unless we approach it stupidly (which we well might do).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 6, 2018

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Go for the eyestalks, Boo! Go for the eyestalks! Raugh!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kangra posted:

:colbert:

Presumably it has no spine and therefore no spinal cord, so that route won't work. I'd go for eyestalk, but if they can mention nonexistent spinal cords then they can mention nonexistent eyestalks. Go for above the posterior sting. Should keep us away from its mandibles at any rate, unless we approach it stupidly (which we well might do).
I agree. The woodsman said to aim for the back, IIRC, but ordinary scorpions don't exactly have spinal cords, do they? Also, severing a poison stinger seems like a good idea to me.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Go for the throat, of course.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level One: Castle Perilous, King Carlon
In which we level up enough to qualify for a class change.

And that's the first level. Hopefully it's been of some interest, but if it hasn't, fear not: It's about to get considerably weirder. We'll be traveling from the vaguely Arthurian European myth setting into something right out of Arabian Nights with nothing but our wits. And our horse. And our vast riches. And a magic sword. But mostly our wits.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Also, "The Varnish Wars"? Was King Carlon deposed over a matter of furniture polish? Or does Sheltem's malevolence extend even to the MadMaze?
I presume it's meant to be some kingdom coincidentally also named Varn, but given the writers it's entirely possible that it was either of those things because they make about as much sense in the context of this game.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The first level was already such a fun read, can't wait for the next one.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm liking this LP a lot, even though I didn't catch any of the puzzles in time.

Minor nitpick, though, I don't know if you are transcribing or have the text dump, but in the Level One: Gonzaga, Part 2 update, Gonzaga says:

quote:

"No parasan!"

I'm assuming that Seņor Gonzaga is a Spaniard, so it should be "No pasaran!" instead. And there's also the missing accents, but who cares about those.

Thanks for the LP!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

MadMaze posted:

The months pass

I hope this means the Elder ends up assuming that we have failed. Our predecessor got, what, three months?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

HardDiskD posted:

Minor nitpick, though, I don't know if you are transcribing or have the text dump, but in the Level One: Gonzaga, Part 2 update, Gonzaga says:

I'm assuming that Seņor Gonzaga is a Spaniard, so it should be "No pasaran!" instead. And there's also the missing accents, but who cares about those.
I actually don't know what they were going for here, but he specifically says "No parasan!" in the game so I left the text as-is. As far as I know you're correct, as he's clearly saying we can't pass, and that's what that means in Spanish. Google, however, gave me confusing and conflicting reports suggesting that "no parasan" is somehow also a thing, even though that makes no sense and I have no clue what the point of it is.

It isn't the only typo in the game if indeed it is one, I've just corrected the ones that obviously were (such as "also also" or other doublings up on words) and left this one because I had no idea what they were going for here.

As for the puzzles, fear not. Once we get to some of the meatier ones I intend to offer more time to work them out rather than frantically posting past them.

ManxomeBromide posted:

I hope this means the Elder ends up assuming that we have failed. Our predecessor got, what, three months?
Better question: How did our predecessor get past this part, if indeed she did? She clearly never rescued King Carlon.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

Better question: How did our predecessor get past this part, if indeed she did? She clearly never rescued King Carlon.

"This [maze] is a creature of chaos. It may take many incarnations." Her version of the maze just bypassed Castle Perilous.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Nakar posted:

Remember again, the game doesn't remember
This is such a weird thing to have to think around, I'm having a lot of fun following this.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: Recurrence
In which all that has happened before happens again, except different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, given we're supposed to talk to the lyon... perhaps greet it?

• Locked thread