Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Amphigory posted:

That's gotta count as cruel and unusual punishment

How so? I don't see how it's any different than being free. You never know when you're gonna punch out. Surely having a date for your execution is even more mentally poisonous? You're staring down your own personal doomsday clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just hope outs determined by something completely arbitrary. Like each morning the warden wakes up and if the socks in his drawer are facing to the left then someone dies that day.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I have no idea how it would hold up under the American constitution, honestly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Have you, um, noticed where we are wrt: constitutional compliance

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Yes, it sure would be terrible if America treated its prisoners on death row horribly inhumanely. Good thing they definitely don't do that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fizzymercy posted:

How so? I don't see how it's any different than being free. You never know when you're gonna punch out. Surely having a date for your execution is even more mentally poisonous? You're staring down your own personal doomsday clock.

Most people who die normally die of an illness and have time to prepare. Those who die suddenly may recognise that they are mortal, but they're not expecting to drop dead of a heart attack or stroke or get hit by a car on any given day and they certainly don't wake up every single morning thinking "what if it's today?"

If you're on death row in Japan, then you are expecting to die and you know that any time someone knocks on your cell door it could be to tell you it will be today.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Couldn't have put it better myself

Also, I'm sure the guards must gently caress with people

"Good morning, today's the big day!"
"..."
"The big day where you get extra toast with breakfast, of course"

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Jedit posted:

Most people who die normally die of an illness and have time to prepare. Those who die suddenly may recognise that they are mortal, but they're not expecting to drop dead of a heart attack or stroke or get hit by a car on any given day and they certainly don't wake up every single morning thinking "what if it's today?"

If you're on death row in Japan, then you are expecting to die and you know that any time someone knocks on your cell door it could be to tell you it will be today.

lol who doesn't think of impending death at each and every moment? scrubs

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sometimes I daydream of visiting Norway and committing some harmless crime so I can stay in their prison system for a few months as a vacation.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sometimes I daydream of visiting Norway and committing some harmless crime so I can stay in their prison system for a few months as a vacation.

Otto Warmbier wasn't as smart as you!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MrMidnight posted:

Otto Warmbier wasn't as smart as you!

Obviously. Who drinks their beer warm?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm older and have loftier goals is all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Untrustable posted:

Not to sound ghoulish but if you're gonna execute someone it really seems like the most humane method.

Not really. A bullet to the head might take out your medulla and just instantaneously press your permanent off switch...or it might leave you brain damaged and slowly bleeding or asphyxiating. Especially with the .25 that Soviet guy used.

There was a crazy Bjork stalker who shot himself in the mouth on camera, I think with a .22 revolver. He aimed right up into the brain, but you can tell from the sounds that he died slowly and painfully on the floor.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Jun 7, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would expect executioners to fire a second shot if the first one didn't do the job because really who wants to deal with a body that's still alive and fighting back or spreading blood around.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

ubachung posted:

Inert gas asphyxiation is probably better imo.

Probably. You'd get loopy as your o2 dropped and probably wouldn't be terribly concerned with what's going on.

They'd still have to get you into the chamber, though, and I can't imagine that level of terror.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

a mysterious cloak posted:

Probably. You'd get loopy as your o2 dropped and probably wouldn't be terribly concerned with what's going on.

They'd still have to get you into the chamber, though, and I can't imagine that level of terror.

They don't seem to have trouble getting prisoners to the site of any other kind of execution, even hosed up ones, so I'm not sure how much of a problem that is.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
This is the way for executions to go.
http://www.williamflew.com/omni24b.html

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Glad we're lightening the mood after the Japan thing.

Capital punishment in Norway

Unsurprisingly, Norway has some similarities with Swedish pratices, though with some key divergences. Norway used to get all medieval on your rear end with torture and crazy punishments, and for a while insulting the key merited the death penalty, but by 1815 they got more reasonable and restricted capital punishment to firing squads and beheadings, and only for murder or treason.

Their last peacetime execution (major caveat) was earlier than in Sweden; in 1876 Kristoffer Nilsen Svartbækken Grindalen was publicly beheaded with an axe for a robbery-murder. Peacetime capital punishment was banned in 1905.

The big difference is that Sweden was neutral in WWII, whereas Norway was invaded by the Nazis who installed a pro-Nazi government under Quisling. Once the legitimate Norwegian government regained control, they executed 25 Norwegians and 12 Germans for crimes committed in the course of the occupation. The last to be killed was Ragnar Skancke, the pro-Nazi Minister for the Church and Education, who was executed by firing squad in 1948. Norway kept the option for wartime capital punishment until it was abolished by treaty in 2005.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the way ISIS and other terrorist groups known for their elaborate executions do it is to perform many fake executions, getting the victim used to coming back to their cell alive before finally not missing on purpose.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

ubachung posted:

Inert gas asphyxiation is probably better imo.

Not as viscerally satisfying for the purposes of revenge punishment.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Speaking of ISIS, I was thinking about the history of the Caliphate in general, and remembered a weird historical incident surrounding it.

Battle of Broken Hill

In 1915, some 1200 Australians in New South Wales were riding down a railway in ore trucks for a big picnic outside of town. Suddenly, shots range out, and two people were killed and six injured by two rifles fired from an adjoining hill. The conductor of the train had a rifle with him, and was an excellent marksman, so he returned fire from the train, possibly causing the attackers to abandon their position.

The shooters were Mahommed Gool, an ice cream vendor, and Mullah Abdullah, a local halal butcher and imam. The two were "Afghans", which was the common Australian term for Muslim immigrants from Afghanistan, India, and what would later be Pakistan (the two were from the last). They had come to Australia, like many "Afghans" to serve as camel drives in the outback, before settling down and taking local jobs.

The two men were incensed at Australia for supporting Britain in World War I, since they believed that the ruler of the Ottoman Empire was the caliph of all Muslims. Mahommed Gool carried a letter on him saying to the Ottoman sultan "I must kill you and give my life for my faith, Allāhu Akbar." Mullah Abdullah also wrote a letter, but was more focused on getting revenge on a local sanitation inspector who'd cited his butcher shop for violations.

The shooters moved off their hill and booked it for the town, killing another man along the way.They ended up holing up behind a quartz outcropping on the edge of town, while the police called for backup from a neighboring military unit. Eventually, a mass of police, military, and civilian shooters blanketed the outcropping with rifle fire, then after 90 minutes rush the position. The Mullah was already dead, but allegedly Mahommed was waving a white flag from his rifle barrel, but was shot during the charge.

The ultimate death toll was seven wounded and four killed: two sniped on the train, one killed at his house during the withdrawal, and one man killed as he was chopping wood outside his house near the final showdown, having ignored his daughter's advice to stay inside and take cover while a firefight was going on.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

one man killed as he was chopping wood outside his house near the final showdown, having ignored his daughter's advice to stay inside and take cover while a firefight was going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPlhKGDPZD0
"I KNOW MY MIND, WOMAN!"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If I remember right the way Taiwan does the “could be any day now” thing is that they always do it at night, so you go to sleep every night not knowing if the guards will come by at 3am to wake you up and take you away.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Speaking of ISIS, I was thinking about the history of the Caliphate in general, and remembered a weird historical incident surrounding it.

Battle of Broken Hill

In 1915, some 1200 Australians in New South Wales were riding down a railway in ore trucks for a big picnic outside of town. Suddenly, shots range out, and two people were killed and six injured by two rifles fired from an adjoining hill. The conductor of the train had a rifle with him, and was an excellent marksman, so he returned fire from the train, possibly causing the attackers to abandon their position.

The shooters were Mahommed Gool, an ice cream vendor, and Mullah Abdullah, a local halal butcher and imam. The two were "Afghans", which was the common Australian term for Muslim immigrants from Afghanistan, India, and what would later be Pakistan (the two were from the last). They had come to Australia, like many "Afghans" to serve as camel drives in the outback, before settling down and taking local jobs.

The two men were incensed at Australia for supporting Britain in World War I, since they believed that the ruler of the Ottoman Empire was the caliph of all Muslims. Mahommed Gool carried a letter on him saying to the Ottoman sultan "I must kill you and give my life for my faith, Allāhu Akbar." Mullah Abdullah also wrote a letter, but was more focused on getting revenge on a local sanitation inspector who'd cited his butcher shop for violations.

The shooters moved off their hill and booked it for the town, killing another man along the way.They ended up holing up behind a quartz outcropping on the edge of town, while the police called for backup from a neighboring military unit. Eventually, a mass of police, military, and civilian shooters blanketed the outcropping with rifle fire, then after 90 minutes rush the position. The Mullah was already dead, but allegedly Mahommed was waving a white flag from his rifle barrel, but was shot during the charge.

The ultimate death toll was seven wounded and four killed: two sniped on the train, one killed at his house during the withdrawal, and one man killed as he was chopping wood outside his house near the final showdown, having ignored his daughter's advice to stay inside and take cover while a firefight was going on.

How many emus were involved?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Can't you read? It said only one was an emam. That's the singular form, right?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Given that the Australians actually won, I'm going to guess a negligible number of emus.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Battle of Broken Hill

My Great Grand Father was actually in Broken Hill at the time as a teenager - he recorded a bit about his experience and the mood in the town in his memoirs:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Us3tRhbQlK

spleen merchant has a new favorite as of 13:56 on Jun 8, 2018

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

spleen merchant posted:

My Great Grand Father was actually in Broken Hill at the time as a teenager - he recorded a bit about his experience and the mood in the town in his memoirs:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Us3tRhbQlK

That was neat. Thanks for sharing. I like the way it ends "..and that's the night they burned down the German Club"

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Finland had the death penalty on the books for peacetime crimes until 1949 and for wartime until 1972. The curious thing about this is that the last peacetime execution was in 1825, when Tsar Nicholas I (not know for being a merciful person) ordered that executions in the then-Grand Duchy of Finland would only be performed for crimes against the state, or for murdering the Tsar or a member of the imperial family. There were executions during WW1, the Finnish Civil War and WW2, but the last peacetime execution was in 8th July 1825, when a man was beheaded for killing an another man (he brained the victim with a piece of firewood). After that all death penalties were commuted, by the order of the Tsar, to banishments to Siberia, which, during the Tsarist rule, was not the same as the later Soviet gulags. Numerous Finnish persons were banished, served out their sentences and returned alive.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ataxerxes posted:

After that all death penalties were commuted, by the order of the Tsar, to banishments to Siberia, which, during the Tsarist rule, was not the same as the later Soviet gulags. Numerous Finnish persons were banished, served out their sentences and returned alive.
Russians: Sentencing them to death would make us look bad. Just send them to Siberia for, say, ten years, nobody could survive that.
Finns: Are our ten years up already? Such a shame, now we have to go back into the cold.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Hooray!

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...d-straight-year

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'll be happy when the season starts and he isn't on a team.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
lol beavers

this dude just can't help himself

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
That Broken Hill event was interesting, I hadn't heard about it before (though why would I have?) I came across some photos from a newspaper of the time:

(from https://trove.nla.gov.au/version/208970627)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know if it counts as unnerving (although I think it is) but chef and author and tv star Anthony Bourdain killed himself via hanging in a hotel room in France and I don’t think I’ve actually been more devastated from a celebrity death in my life. He was one of my heroes I looked up to so this sucks a lot

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/business/media/anthony-bourdain-dead.html

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don’t know if it counts as unnerving (although I think it is) but chef and author and tv star Anthony Bourdain killed himself via hanging in a hotel room in France and I don’t think I’ve actually been more devastated from a celebrity death in my life. He was one of my heroes I looked up to so this sucks a lot

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/business/media/anthony-bourdain-dead.html

when i read the news today i was tearing up and when my dad asked me what was wrong i told him and he was also really upset. anthony bourdain was amazing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you want an unnerving story about Bourdain's death, read the comments on Asia Argento's twitter feed.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jedit posted:

If you want an unnerving story about Bourdain's death, read the comments on Asia Argento's twitter feed.

Save y'all some time: Anthony Bourdaine was dating Asia Argento and a section of the comments are blaming her for his death as she was photographed hugging another man a day or so before Bourdaine killed himself.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Save y'all some time: Anthony Bourdaine was dating Asia Argento and a section of the comments are blaming her for his death as she was photographed hugging another man a day or so before Bourdaine killed himself.

:smith: I bet that’s a terrible feeling for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He seemed like he would have been a cool guy to get a drink with.