Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

multijoe posted:

Yeah, the Lothric & Fat Knights in particular are endgame enemies with only slightly reduced movesets, it's normal to struggle against them and the next area is significantly more forgiving

It's crazy. First I tried just blocking, then they eventually broke my guard. Then I tried dodging and a lot of times they would unleash this long rear end combo that would track a little bit. But it's nice to know that it let's up a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The dogs are easy to kill. Just grab a medium shield and block, they bounce off of it because they're dumb and helpless.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hodgepodge posted:

Like Celestial Emissary is also a bunch of trash mobs with one that is the real target, except it has a phase two where there is a boss. Deacons is like they forgot to add the second phase.

It's because that's originally where you were supposed to fight Aldritch. Deacons are basically filler for where they took something out and didn't have time/money/whatever to replace it with a real fight.

Pretty much everything about the DS3 cut content sounds better than what we got, at least structurally. Like, Pontiff Sulyvahn was the final boss instead of a mid-game scrub check and when you fought the Twin Princes Kaathe was supposed to crash in through the hole in the ceiling.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

when you fought the Twin Princes Kaathe was supposed to crash in through the hole in the ceiling.

Wait, WHAT!?
:vince:

Why didn’t we get that?!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Raposa posted:

Try blocking and then try stabbing, skeleton.

lmao blocking

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

Like Celestial Emissary is also a bunch of trash mobs with one that is the real target, except it has a phase two where there is a boss. Deacons is like they forgot to add the second phase.

The Deacons is a two phase boss.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Perfect Potato posted:

The Deacons is a two phase boss.

Like, barely.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Like, barely.

Compared to the Celestial *explodes into gore before it can even grow big* Emissary? Yes it has two phases. By a lot.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Royal Rat Vanguard was a better Deacons style boss fight anyways.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Deacons 2nd phase is kind of cool your first time around going in blind. You're messing around with the mobs and trying to pick off the guys casting fireballs and the room just gets darker and darker and then oops you're cursed. Once you know the gimmick though you just wail on Royce before anything happens.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Vanguard would've been better if you didn't have to wait for the mohawk to spawn into the room. Makes the fight needlessly confusing on a first time run and tedious on the rest.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

lmao getting killed by dogs

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Steve Jorbs posted:

Deacons 2nd phase is kind of cool your first time around going in blind. You're messing around with the mobs and trying to pick off the guys casting fireballs and the room just gets darker and darker and then oops you're cursed. Once you know the gimmick though you just wail on Royce before anything happens.

He can curse you?

I just killed whatever mob had the red glow and eventually it was a sturdier one that looked like an old dude. I had to back off and reposition if I was in danger of getting surrounded; that was the extent of the threat anything posed to me.

Granted, the Guts cosplay weapon strategy tends to clown anything that is the size of a player and has no shield.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hodgepodge posted:

He can curse you?

I just killed whatever mob had the red glow and eventually it was a sturdier one that looked like an old dude. I had to back off and reposition if I was in danger of getting surrounded; that was the extent of the threat anything posed to me.

Granted, the Guts cosplay weapon strategy tends to clown anything that is the size of a player and has no shield.

I always wondered, can you flatten Royce? Like with a UGS or Great Hammer R2?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

lambskin posted:

lmao getting killed by dogs

;)

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I only died once to Deacons when I was doing a dagger run, because it didn't have enough aoe to clear the deacons, so I kept getting mobbed and had to back off. Then suddenly I got cursed and that was a huge surprise. It was like the 5th time I'd killed them too.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I died to Deacons the first time because I just couldnt reach the right target with my weapon.

Yes I also got cursed because I didnt realize what the attack does. I guess I was expecting some huge AoE attack.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

After reading people talk about the fight I'm still not really sure what attack they do curses you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Travv0 posted:

After reading people talk about the fight I'm still not really sure what attack they do curses you.

I saw a video once where it seemed like eventually the darkness just takes over the room and you start getting cursed regardless. I think it's just a timer.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Travv0 posted:

After the halfway point the meanest looking deacon starts channeling a curse bomb so you need to kill him before it goes off.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
At some points during the fight you'll start seeing them channel darkness upwards that will swirl up into a projectile like Great Soul Dregs that will knock you on your rear end. However, further down the line, they'll just make this huge thing that will just build your curse bar gradually unless you stop the channeling deacons.

My guess is they had originally tuned the fight so the deacons had more health or attacked you more aggressively, but it didn't test well, and they couldn't get the balance right for launch.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

That's a very weird thing

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Wow, never realized that. The only times I've died to them was when I just wasn't paying attention and didn't back off to drink. Didn't realize how the fight worked until the second time, just thought it was a shared hp bar since I was using a UGS and a summon the first time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

deacons is a cool boss fight with a lot that can happen that's hampered by being too easy to beat, more or less

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

deacons is a cool boss fight with a lot that can happen that's hampered by being too easy to beat, more or less

is it the pinwheel of ds3?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Travv0 posted:

is it the pinwheel of ds3?

That would be Wolnir, or Yorhm if you did Siegward's quest.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Maleh-Vor posted:

At some points during the fight you'll start seeing them channel darkness upwards that will swirl up into a projectile like Great Soul Dregs that will knock you on your rear end. However, further down the line, they'll just make this huge thing that will just build your curse bar gradually unless you stop the channeling deacons.

My guess is they had originally tuned the fight so the deacons had more health or attacked you more aggressively, but it didn't test well, and they couldn't get the balance right for launch.

I mean, it's not like they never have an intentionally easy boss fight. Living Failures is pretty similar to Deacons except you dodge a cool looking attack in phase 2 instead of having to find and kill the right dude.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i loving love the winged knight twin axes and i don't care how many people will parry me, when i get to clonk it's so satisfying

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

spaceships posted:

i loving love the winged knight twin axes and i don't care how many people will parry me, when i get to clonk it's so satisfying

This is the right attitude. When they parry you and kill you, they'll feel like hot poo poo, and you get to do the same when you beyblade them up.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

AlternateNu posted:

Wait, WHAT!?
:vince:

Why didn’t we get that?!

Holy Hell, that sounds amazing and dear God does it make this game seem more miserable. :smith:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So is invading basically unfun at sl120 unless youve got some +2 or +3 rings and just shoot for bullshit backstabs? I literally have yet to kill a host out of probably 15 attempts. I'm guessing lower level invading is a bit more manageable.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

cage-free egghead posted:

So is invading basically unfun at sl120 unless youve got some +2 or +3 rings and just shoot for bullshit backstabs? I literally have yet to kill a host out of probably 15 attempts. I'm guessing lower level invading is a bit more manageable.

use the environment to your advantage, especially if they have phantoms. ledges and enemy mobs are your friends

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The trick to making SL 120+ invading enjoyable is to do it at either the swamps or pontiff, that way the bog/church police will provide semi-backup. Or go purple and chill and hope they decide not to kill you, so you can gain their trust and murder them while distracted.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I used to invade in the Irithyll dungeon and it was hilarious to lure people to fight in the room with the giant. Also mimics

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

And Tyler Too! posted:

Or go purple and chill and hope they decide not to kill you, so you can gain their trust and murder them while distracted.

This is good advice at any SL. The most fun I ever had playing DkS 3 was running around as a Lautrec-cosplaying Mound Maker in lowbie areas. Purple phantoms rule.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I really am disappointed that the purple covenant doesn't get more love, it was glorious for about 6 months after release but then it sort of died.

I almost never get purple invaded anymore :(

double nine fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 7, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

double nine posted:

I really am disappointed that the purple covenant doesn't get more love, it was glorious for about 6 months after release but then it sort of died.

I almost never get purple invaded anymore :(

The problem with purples was that there's no real reason to willingly summon them. Being one was fun as hell, but it was really hard to get summoned into a world that wasn't just duelists or gankers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

cage-free egghead posted:

No, low-level invading is much worse. Getting to a high level and getting all the stuff you want / need for PvP is easy, anybody can do it. Getting all the stuff you need for PvP at low level involves either muling, cheating, or being very good at the game, and because of DS3's insanely bad structure for who can and can't be invaded, twinks, cheaters, and veteran PvPers are almost all you will invade at low levels.

Now, the easiest PvP is mid-level 50-60 Aldritch Faithful invasions (because a lot of the restrictions don't apply to them and because Aldritch Faithful don't have friendly fire on each other) followed by level 70-90 PvP (because at this range you are far more likely to invade people who are just trying to complete endgame areas on NG and aren't looking for PvP -- although they're still usually going to have a horde of phantoms.) But 100-120 is still fine, lots of those people don't know what they're doing much more than you do.

Also backstabs and parries in particular are more effective in low-level PvP, because at that level nobody has enough HP to not get one-shot.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 7, 2018

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, low-level invading is much worse. Getting to a high level and getting all the stuff you want / need for PvP is easy, anybody can do it. Getting all the stuff you need for PvP at low level involves either muling, cheating, or being very good at the game, and because of DS3's insanely bad structure for who can and can't be invaded, twinks, cheaters, and veteran PvPers are almost all you will invade at low levels.

Now, the easiest PvP is mid-level 50-60 Aldritch Faithful invasions (because a lot of the restrictions don't apply to them and because Aldritch Faithful don't have friendly fire on each other) followed by level 70-90 PvP (because at this range you are far more likely to invade people who are just trying to complete endgame areas on NG and aren't looking for PvP -- although they're still usually going to have a horde of phantoms.) But 100-120 is still fine, lots of those people don't know what they're doing much more than you do.

Also backstabs and parries in particular are more effective in low-level PvP, because at that level nobody has enough HP to not get one-shot.

My experience is:

SL25-30 +2/+3 (crux woods/cathedral) - either painfully easy or an awful twink-gank fest
SL35-40 +4 (catacombs/lake) - ganks are rare so this is pretty easy
SL50-60 +6 (irithyll/anor londo) - marginally harder than the above, as people tend to have a full set of summons, probably because pontiff is a Known Hard boss
SL70 +8 (lothric castle/garden/graves - sometimes dungeon) - still varied, but I don't feel like I have a huge advantage over hosts, nor the groups over me. A good level, if you can get invasions. Taking this to the level below tends to result in losses
SL90 +10 (archives/peak/ringed city) - a consistently a good challenge
SL120-125 +10 (anywhere but inconsistent) - rough, bordering on awful, especially around anor londo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

The problem with purples was that there's no real reason to willingly summon them. Being one was fun as hell, but it was really hard to get summoned into a world that wasn't just duelists or gankers.

Purple should be able to go through the boss door with the host and kill the boss for a win. They’re already posing as every phantom at once, may as well let them act like a sunbro so that one might help you and isn’t incentivized to try to betray you before you get to the boss door. Plus some of them will betray during the boss fight instead, and that’s funny

Some purples are basically just reds, some are basically just whites, and some are ?????. The fact that you never know what you get when you summon a purple is already the best thing about them and they’d be even better if From had leaned into that more