Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, but people who say "I'm not racist, i'm just an rear end in a top hat" always seem to just use it as a cover for being racist and bigoted. Like you see a lot of "I hate all religions!" but they just walk about how evil Islam is.

In my experience it’s not quite always but it’s pretty often, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

twistedmentat posted:

It's like that dumb Comicsgate thing which had a lot of "Marvel is insulting its fans by not making all its books about Straight White Men"
AFAIK everything that the Comicsgate thing was mad about ultimately got undone. Bruce Banner got brought back life and re-Hulked. Logan-as-Wolverine is coming back from the dead in September with a new gimmick. Jane Foster was killed off and the original Thor has the only fragment of Mjolnir. Miles Morales was in an alternate continuity. Tony Stark is out of his coma and back in the suit or something.

Superheroes are like Coca-Cola: It's not even hard to make a better product, but nobody cares, the value is all in the brand power. Part of that brand power is from spending decades telling customers that anything slightly different is inauthentic to fend off competitors, but it turns out that doing that makes customers get super mad if the formula ever changes.

Deptfordx posted:

I think it's more, who the hell really wanted a Han Solo prequel movie?
It's not really a bad idea on its face to do spinoff movies about the characters, and Han Solo was one of the more interesting ones, but they haven't done anything with the character since the original trilogy 35 years ago except kill him off. The time to do a Solo movie was like mid-90's.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 7, 2018

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I was under the impression it was kinda a passion project for Lawrence Kasdan and his kid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I was under the impression it was kinda a passion project for Lawrence Kasdan and his kid.

It was. That was the reason why he passed on writing Last Jedi, he wanted to do Solo instead.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Pirate Radar posted:

To be fair, just being a jerk to everybody is basically a whole different animal compared to being a racist/sexist harasser. It makes you a Boy Scout compared to the people who are going after women and minorities just because they’re women and minorities.

That's hardly fair. It doesn't matter why you target vulnerable folk, just that you do, and will continue to do so. It is probably worse, because the defence of "but I'm not racist/sexist" is more believable to people so you get to continue.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Polyseme posted:

That's hardly fair. It doesn't matter why you target vulnerable folk, just that you do, and will continue to do so. It is probably worse, because the defence of "but I'm not racist/sexist" is more believable to people so you get to continue.

How can it be worse than racism or sexism?

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Pirate Radar posted:

How can it be worse than racism or sexism?

Because you're still harassing people on race/sex/etc lines. It's literally the same thing, whatever you think you're doing. It's quite possible to be racist while, say, being "colour-blind" in your harassment. It's just that you now get a group of people willing to defend you as being "not really racist", which lets you get away with more.

e: generic you

Polyseme fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 7, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Polyseme posted:

Because you're still harassing people on race/sex/etc lines. It's literally the same thing, whatever you think you're doing. It's quite possible to be racist while, say, being "colour-blind" in your harassment. It's just that you now get a group of people willing to defend you as being "not really racist", which lets you get away with more.

e: generic you

I understand what you’re saying and I see where you’re coming from—and people’s actions undeniably have impacts independent of their intentions. But in my experience, we as a society do take people’s intentions into account in certain circumstances, and evidence of bigotry is definitely one of them. We treat people extremely differently when we think they’re just a jerk versus assigning their motives to some flavor of moral disease.

I don’t know if we actually disagree or if we’re talking about different aspects of similar life experiences.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yeah, but I heard Obama forgot his flag pin. thought there were 57 State and put the wrong hand over his heart so...*fart*

That Eagles photo bullshit got my blood boiling. FOX knew exactly what it was doing. Surprised they included image of the white player, honestly.

One of my FOX News co-workers was touting the unemployment numbers and I forgot to ask him if he meant the "new and improved real numbers" or if they were the "old fake ones" of the last 7 years. It's cool the numbers on the economy are good but distressing to me because i know that Trump voters will see this is as confirmation/validation or Trump's policies.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, but I heard Obama forgot his flag pin. thought there were 57 State and put the wrong hand over his heart so...*fart*

That Eagles photo bullshit got my blood boiling. FOX knew exactly what it was doing. Surprised they included image of the white player, honestly.

One of my FOX News co-workers was touting the unemployment numbers and I forgot to ask him if he meant the "new and improved real numbers" or if they were the "old fake ones" of the last 7 years. It's cool the numbers on the economy are good but distressing to me because i know that Trump voters will see this is as confirmation/validation or Trump's policies.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.gocomics.com/tomthedancingbug/2018/05/04

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

BiggerBoat posted:

Obama wore a tan suit and that was apparently an affront to the American people as well.

The photo thing is extra bullshit because some of the photos used have people in the background just mulling around, which makes it obvious that it wasn't taken during the Anthem.

Unemployment numbers are a bit misleading in and of themselves, unless the factor in underemployment, which is a huge issue. But that's not going to stop conservatives from selectively processing information until it suits their worldview. What's really going to be terrible is when all of these Trump tariffs come back to bite us in the rear end long after he's out of office. Then of course it will be a Democrat's fault that things are going to poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

quote:

Former Fox News analyst says Fox has become 'destructive propaganda machine'

He was a Fox News military analyst for many years. Now he says Fox is doing a "great deal of damage" to the United States.
Ralph Peters left the network in March after sending a blistering farewell note to some of his colleagues. The note shocked the TV news industry because he accused Fox of "assaulting our constitutional order and the rule of law."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/07/media/ralph-peters-fox-news-anderson-cooper/index.html

He'll be smeared mercilessly in 3...2...1...

quote:

Peters was sometimes very critical of President Trump during his appearances on Fox. And he repeated that criticism on Wednesday, telling Cooper he believes that Trump is "frightened" of Vladimir Putin.

He said, "I am convinced that Vladimir Putin has a grip on President Trump," adding, "I hope I'm wrong."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The tan suit, sometimes I forget the tan suit thing. He wore a tan suit!!!

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Remember how uppity it was to request dijon mustard on a hamburger?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I don't get it. His hand is over his heart? What's the issue?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Minenfeld! posted:

He's being black while I guess they're reciting the pledge of allegiance? That's a major offense, not unlike being black in general.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Minenfeld! posted:

Hers isn't, and I'm sure they find her facial expression unacceptable too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

have a terrible loving article about race:

https://quillette.com/2018/06/05/high-price-stale-grievances/

https://twitter.com/RubinReport/status/1004734535089737729

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Remember when Obama sang Amazing Grace after shooting #8987923579 and regressives went "n-wordn-wordn-word....."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Or the time that Obama used the n-word during a podcast or some poo poo like that when discussing race relations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
They never would've hurled racist slurs at the POTUS if it wasn't for that damned Obama, the Real Racist.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

That was an awful lot of words to say, “did you know that no living black people today were slaves!? Check mate liberals!”

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vargatron posted:

Obama wore a tan suit and that was apparently an affront to the American people as well.

The photo thing is extra bullshit because some of the photos used have people in the background just mulling around, which makes it obvious that it wasn't taken during the Anthem.

Unemployment numbers are a bit misleading in and of themselves, unless the factor in underemployment, which is a huge issue. But that's not going to stop conservatives from selectively processing information until it suits their worldview. What's really going to be terrible is when all of these Trump tariffs come back to bite us in the rear end long after he's out of office. Then of course it will be a Democrat's fault that things are going to poo poo.

Low unemployment is pretty meaningless if the jobs pay utter poo poo. The current minimum wage is way too low and the jobs being created aren't exactly paying great. Wages are still stagnating or decreasing so even if we did hit full employment poo poo would still suck.

Didn't fox news or some other piece of the right wing hate machine distribute a mirrored picture of Obama with his hand on his heart? Anything more than a glance and it was obvious the picture was flipped but of course it was seen as undeniable proof that Obama hated America.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I've started checking out the Fox News website on occasion just to see what the other side is seeing, and even as a regular reader of this thread, I can't believe how singlemindedly focused it is on pushing their agenda. Nearly single article is either lauding Trump or taking a swipe at progressives. There are news stories simply about how badly the other news networks are doing and headlines like "Nearly 50% of Californians say they want to move out soon", which was actually a poll of 1000 people in the SF Bay Area who want to move out of the Bay Area, not California generally.

I guess I was naive. I knew it was bad, but I'm genuinely shocked. How do you erode trust in a news organization that doesn't even seem to be attempting to look like anything but blatant propaganda?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Quite plainly you don't. The main demographic for fox is angry old white people who want America to be a fantasy version of the 1950s that never existed in the first place.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

letthereberock posted:

That was an awful lot of words to say, “did you know that no living black people today were slaves!? Check mate liberals!”

it's so incredibly stupid. our parents were alive during jim crow. and besides it's not like things were made equal after emancipation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So there's a terrible Town Hall article about how the right needs their own SNL and all, but it's not worth reading. What is worth reading, however, is the hilarious reveal of the real motivations behind this desire at the end. As always with right winger comedy, it's just spite and anger.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's so incredibly stupid. our parents were alive during jim crow. and besides it's not like things were made equal after emancipation.

And slavery is very much alive and well in the United States today, we just don't call it that. We call it the private prison industry among other things.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

So there's a terrible Town Hall article about how the right needs their own SNL and all, but it's not worth reading. What is worth reading, however, is the hilarious reveal of the real motivations behind this desire at the end. As always with right winger comedy, it's just spite and anger.

the best part is the idea that it would air opposite snl because as everyone knows the elderly are notorious for being up at 11:30pm on a saturday

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

That's insanely delusional. It requires comedy, something that conservatives are extremely bad at for the most part.

I got to "live from Omaha" and then instantly thought it was a joke post.

edit: remember when they tried to make their own Daily Show? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1/2_Hour_News_Hour

Faustian Bargain fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 7, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"You can turn on any show and see Bush being bashed. There really is nothing out there for those who want satire that tilts right." - the guy that made 24 lmao

Cythereal posted:

And slavery is very much alive and well in the United States today, we just don't call it that. We call it the private prison industry among other things.

yeah it's just sad seeing all the replies on his article saying how great it is (because one of the blacks agrees with us!!).

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Faustian Bargain posted:

it is, albeit not intentionally

anyway will sommer collected the highlights and they're worth a read

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1004772479754293249

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Fox is state propaganda at this point, and it really needs to sink in for a bit how that should be processed sometimes. Every single negative thought along the lines of, "Wow, that North Korea/Russia/ISIS propaganda outlet is bizarre but seems to work in convincing it's target audience" needs to be applied to Fox.

The future isn't wtitten yet, but we don't really get to say "It can't happen here" any more. We're seeing the playbook unfold live and in person.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

90% of SNL is already crap, imagine how bad "SNL, but by people who can't take a joke" would be

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fox was state propaganda in the bush years too you just didn't have the feedback loop.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Imagine garbage-tier political comedy, every joke is just a reference to a thing that stopped being funny years ago, and 30 seconds of audience screams as parade of washed up actors come out one by one to do terrible impressions, but it's Kevin Sorbo instead

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

90% of SNL is already crap, imagine how bad "SNL, but by people who can't take a joke" would be
You don't have to imagine. Read the proposed sketches. Conservative humor, everybody.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Faustian Bargain posted:

That's insanely delusional. It requires comedy, something that conservatives are extremely bad at for the most part.

edit: remember when they tried to make their own Daily Show? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1/2_Hour_News_Hour

Oh man at one point the cartoon shorts from that were on YouTube and it was incredible.

You were supposed to side with the main character, Guy White (natch), who was constantly butthurt over oppression from his liberal boss and co-workers, but like every episode just inadvertently showed how petty and childish he was over insignificant things. He responded to his coworkers offering to pick him up at his house so they could carpool for Earth Day by burning tires in his backyard to make up for it. (You were supposed to agree with the guy polluting his own air in order to spite people who were nice to him).

Like if you didn't know the ideology of the people who made it and that they intended you to sympathize and identify with the protagonist, you would assume it was satire lambasting conservatives as pathetic ineffectual passive-aggressive manchildren obsessed with self-invented slights to their honor from a hostile universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Faustian Bargain posted:

You don't have to imagine. Read the proposed sketches. Conservative humor, everybody.

They couldn't help mocking the mentally ill with the last one.