Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
oh son of a bitch its started? the WB page went down.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

woot all levels at once, no episodes, can't wait

Good. Episodic gaming almost killed the whole franchise so this is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Is that Sean Bean narrating?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Disappointed it's not episodic but I understand why it's not. Also gently caress yeah to finally getting the racetrack mission everyone's wanted for ages.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

repiv posted:

It's launching on November 13th

That's sooner than I would have expected since it's not episodic. I hope it doesn't feel rushed, but I'm sure they need the money ASAP.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
The fact it isnt episodic might actually make me pass on this one, that's how bummed out I am about it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Supernorn posted:

The fact it isnt episodic might actually make me pass on this one, that's how bummed out I am about it.

I don't get this, why would getting it at all at once be such a turnoff? Are you just assuming it'll be bad? Just don't preorder then.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The episodic release coupled with the dense maps encouraged lots of replaying levels to get the most out of all of them. If they're all dumped in your lap there's no reason to do that anymore, is what he's saying. It was great but idiots really hated it so it's a shame it's not happening anymore.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Sinteres posted:

I don't get this, why would getting it at all at once be such a turnoff? Are you just assuming it'll be bad? Just don't preorder then.

It was a great idea and I thought it was really well executed. It kept me playing the game for months. Understand why they went this direction, but kinda disappointed they caved under pressure from people turned off by the format, some of whom didn't even give it a chance.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

It looks like the Steam (preorder) page is up with some more information.

quote:

HITMAN 2 introduces new ways to play, new game modes and new features, including the new Sniper Assassin mode with franchise first co-op play.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have no idea what Gold Edition is but I'm gonna buy it to support IO

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm sure the goal is still to try to make the maps good, since they found a design style that worked. I feel like the dropoff between Paris and Sapienza vs the others shows that time and care makes a difference, but that's why waiting to read reviews makes sense to me, not just assuming non-episodic levels will be trash. You can always limit yourself to one level per month or whatever if it's about how long you'll actually be playing it, plus they'll still have post-release content.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Arist posted:

The episodic release coupled with the dense maps encouraged lots of replaying levels to get the most out of all of them. If they're all dumped in your lap there's no reason to do that anymore, is what he's saying. It was great but idiots really hated it so it's a shame it's not happening anymore.

How do we know dense maps are out? Has IOI announced anything aside from it not being episodic? We might still have custom contracts, elusive targets, and other post-release stuff that everybody liked from season one.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I bought the game after everything was already out and I've put almost 160 hours into it. :shrug:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

IO likely needs money pronto to continue operating. In addition to the turning off the playerbase issue there are economic reasons to want a large lump sum asap rather than a long trickle of income over many months

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not saying the maps will be bad, I'm saying there's less reason for the player to keep coming back to the game over a period of months.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kanfy posted:

I bought the game after everything was already out and I've put almost 160 hours into it. :shrug:

Yeah, me too. I didn't just play each level once before saying okay I guess I'm done because they aren't releasing any more maps now.

Arist posted:

I'm not saying the maps will be bad, I'm saying there's less reason for the player to keep coming back to the game over a period of months.

So pace yourself? I don't see what the problem is.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

How do we know dense maps are out? Has IOI announced anything aside from it not being episodic? We might still have custom contracts, elusive targets, and other post-release stuff that everybody liked from season one.

Going off the look at Miami they gave us, I don't think dense maps are going anywhere. The idea was with episodic releases, you're encouraged to spend a month with each map to get the most out of it and really learn the ins and outs but now you can just go straight through.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Arist posted:

The maps being good was made me replay them. I still play through Paris, Sapienza, and Hokkaido whenever I boot the game up. Having access to all of them doesn't make me less likely to play the maps, them being kind of boring does. I didn't play much of Bangkok because it's lame not because it's there.

OOOH ALSO NEW HITMAN SNIPER GAME!! Available now with pre-order.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Arist posted:

I have no idea what Gold Edition is but I'm gonna buy it to support IO
Seems like there is going to be expansion pack levels and Gold gives you both.

I'm definitely going to probably to get this at launch. New Hitman was truly fantastic and I trust IO to deliver.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I cannot wait to hit men too.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This game was my favorite of 2016 so I'm extremely hyped.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I will for sure pay full price and maybe preorder this just because as developers they did really cool stuff aside from having unique ideas like elusive targets. I bought Season 1 at half price after everything had been released and the game was so good I almost felt guilty about it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

nekoxid posted:

It looks like the Steam (preorder) page is up with some more information.
"Agent 47. Due to the all-female guard and staff surrounding one of the targets, I'm joining you on this mission."

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like the co-op mode is available immediately?

https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/1004770401229025280

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YfiQrYEfrs

Sniper Assassin trailer, it looks to just be the Hitman Sniper mobile game they put out after Hitman Go blew up.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Pre-order details:

http://hitman.com/purchase
https://store.steampowered.com/app/863550/HITMAN2/

Any pre-order grants immediate access to Sniper Assassin mode with (optional) online co-op

Standard edition - $60

Silver edition - $80 (digital only, includes custom weapon pack and "Expansion Pack 1")

Gold edition - $100 (includes silver pack, plus 4 days of early access and "Expansion Pack 2")

Collector's edition - $TBA (includes all of the above plus more custom weapon packs and IRL goodies)

Personally, I'd like more details on what the expansion pack are before dropping money on any of this. I can wait for Sniper Assassin.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Finally, Snip rear end mode

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

WindyMan posted:

Personally, I'd like more details on what the expansion pack are before dropping money on any of this. I can wait for Sniper Assassin.

Same to both on that.

Hopefully they give a better run down later on.

And I love doing Sniping in the game so I really wanna play it now

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Steam sniper mode isn't activated yet:

https://steamdb.info/app/783780/history/

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I hope the expansion packs are new maps and not just different versions of the same maps. Those were fine as FLC, but for DLC I want more.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Sinteres posted:

I hope the expansion packs are new maps and not just different versions of the same maps. Those were fine as FLC, but for DLC I want more.

I would assume they'll be remixed maps like the other ones are man. I can't imagine they're going to design and make entirely new maps just for DLC. It's taken them like 2 years to make however many maps are in the second season... seems like a lot of work.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tumble posted:

I would assume they'll be remixed maps like the other ones are man. I can't imagine they're going to design and make entirely new maps just for DLC. It's taken them like 2 years to make however many maps are in the second season... seems like a lot of work.

Probably, and if I hear they're good I'll still buy them. $20 expansion packs with new maps as an alternative to Hitman 3 for a while would be awesome though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I bought Hitman after all the episodes were out, so I don't really care about them not making it episodic. I don't think the change in format hurts the game at all, considering I still mastered every map before moving on to the next one, and I still consider Hitman my favorite game of this console generation.

The only thing I'm hoping for is that I/O gets rid of the whole dumb "always online" poo poo. Just let me play and have access to everything like a normal single-player game. I don't mind logging on for elusive targets or accessing fan-made contracts and poo poo, but otherwise I don't want to have to deal with long server connection loads every time.

Also, along with getting rid of always-online, let me start a new game from scratch without creating an alt PSN account.

Cannot hit the pre-order button fast enough.

qbert fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 7, 2018

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Tumble posted:

The two DLC expansions are $20 each, or probably more if you buy them separately. That seems like a reasonable price point for a new map, and $40+ is a lot to ask for remixed versions of existing content.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sinteres posted:

I was fine with the episodic model, but I think their assumption was that it turned a lot of people who didn't play the game off.

Episodic gaming is difficult to pull off, especially if you're not making low to mid-budget story driven games with cliffhanger endings. For AAA, it's better to make a fully featured game and then upsell players on expansions.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I would be satisfied if the "standard" base game is 7 missions, 6 main and a prologue/training map, with the same scope and scale of the first game; and the expansions are a combination of map remix missions (Sapienza) and additional game missions (Patient Zero, Sarajevo Six). But entirely new maps would be good too.

Although in the end, I paid less for what I got in Hitman then what they're asking for in Hitman 2. But I'd be happy to drop $100 on a pre-order if it's cheaper for me in the long run and the details line up with my personal expectations and is comparative to what we got the first go-through.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sniper Assassin is up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Mash posted:

Err, it totally would. You could have the grand stand accessible with all outfits, the pit area accessible with a team outfit, a tv/press area and the everpresent security quarters.

Welp, I'm eating crow! Looks like they're using a figure eight urban setting or something to make it work!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

WindyMan posted:

I would be satisfied if the "standard" base game is 7 missions, 6 main and a prologue/training map, with the same scope and scale of the first game; and the expansions are a combination of map remix missions (Sapienza) and additional game missions (Patient Zero, Sarajevo Six). But entirely new maps would be good too.

So answering my own questions, there's a locations tab on the Hitman 2 website.

http://www.hitman.com/en-US/locations

They're teasing six locations, with the pre-order details of the expansion packs each promising "NEW LOCATION, MISSIONS, SNIPER MAP, OUTFITS AND WEAPONS."

I still want more concrete details but this is starting to line up with what I want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whatever happens next I'm totally into it. So glad this team brought back the series in a hugely successful way, clawed out from the death grip of Squeenix, and got shacked up with a better publisher to make a new batch of content. I just hope this game doesn't get steamrolled by some other late-year game like Red Dead because it deserves to continue onward.