Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sponges posted:

Han Solo is a son of a bitch!

You've got to watch it or he'll hit you with his Bible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I for one am looking forward to seeing a two hour movie about Lando's little maneuver at the battle of taanab.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yo I just saw Solo and it was pretty good! It's a shame it's not doing so well, I like these little side story films in between big main ones.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

This is interesting, because it actually gives us a rare glance at what the story group is doing. This seems to say Ron Howard, of all people, was given a list of who the crime boss was allowed to be (based on who was alive and remotely possible to be the crime boss), and he could choose from there. Maybe they actually are enforcing some story guidelines on the movies.

I'd also be curious to see who else was on that list.
[/quote]

I wonder if prince xizor was on the list and if he was then Ron Howard hosed up big time.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Because there’s a lot of children who are money making age who grew up with the prequels

It's cool if they want to reuse actors that were wasted in the prequels like Bail Organa, Mothma, or Obi Wan but when they start referencing actual details from the prequels jt kind of pulls me out of the movie. Mauls cameo in Solo is completely dumb its not even cool or exciting its just super cheesy. He looks out of shape and cartoony, he talks too much and irs not even the original voice actor and then he turns on his lightsaber for no reason hurrr edgy!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The more I think about it, the more Darth Maul was my least favourite part of the movie.

Should've been, I don't know, Snoke or something.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Unironically should have been Jar Jar.

And that maul moment was totally something that would have been mid-credits if marvel wasn’t already doing that.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
At least Darth Maul has a proper villain name, unlike Snow.

Not to mention good wardrobe.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Barudak posted:

A haunting, academy award winning motion picture about the life of a guy who has to paint the star destroyers

they could do like three layers of metatext with this, it would be sick

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i want a metatextual star wars that really really hates it audience. and yes im aware of the prequels

Barudak
May 7, 2007

An otherwise middling picture that wins an academy award for best actor thanks to meryl streep voicing the assassin droid pressed into household servitude wearing a restraining device.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I want David Lynch to remake Return of the Jedi.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A “What If” line of parralel 7-8-9 films directed by George Lucas

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

I want David Lynch to remake Return of the Jedi.

I think it's very funny that being shown a statue of Chewbacca when he visited Skywalker Ranch was apparently what put Lynch off doing ROTJ because it was "too weird" for him.

Imagine David Lynch's take on Jabba the Hutt.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

A “What If” line of parralel 7-8-9 films directed by George Lucas

I would totally be down for this. Give it a few years and there might be enough purist rage for it to be in demand, or even to make money. Maybe.

Wouldn't be good though.

I wonder if Alan Dean Foster is still writing? Novelizations of the Lucas never were's would be a nice consolation prize.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

I wonder if Alan Dean Foster is still writing? Novelizations of the Lucas never were's would be a nice consolation prize.

Wrote the novelisation of TFA, didn't he?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Did he? That's pretty cool. I admit, I burned out on the EU a bit before New Jedi Order, and my few attempts to dip my toes back in were not pleasant, so I haven't really been paying attention to the books, even with the continuity reboot.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Barudak posted:

An otherwise middling picture that wins an academy award for best actor thanks to meryl streep voicing the assassin droid pressed into household servitude wearing a restraining device.

There is rumor of recasting Meryl Streep as older Leia in E9.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

tino posted:

It's not a rumor, some Star Wars fans started a petition to cast Streep as Leia. It's a dumb idea. A Star Wars movie featuring a recast iconic character just bombed at the box office.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
So as Solo flops they think a Bobba Fett movie's going to draw out an audience?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

tino posted:

That sounds terrible. Just have her die off screen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Top Gun posted:

I wonder if prince xizor was on the list and if he was then Ron Howard hosed up big time.

Yeah, we really need the alien with the rape pheromones to be in a movie.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It should have been Jaxxon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Should have been Vince McMahon all along.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Should have been Vince McMahon all along.

Son of a bitch.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Darth Maul was fine. If you care about Star Wars EU continuity, it makes sense for him to have not only survived The Clone Wars but have rebuilt a power base as a crime syndicate. If you don't, hey it's that guy you liked from 1999.

Also at this point I think Xizor would be just starting out; it couldn't have been that long since Darth Vader destroyed his homeworld.

I was surprised at how much I ended up liking Solo. It wasn't until it was over that I really appreciated I had already written a mediocre-to-blah movie in my head before I even saw it. It turned out to be very different and much better than what I expected.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chiasaur11 posted:

Son of a bitch.

Even his padawan learner bought it.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

clown shoes posted:

It's not a rumor, some Star Wars fans started a petition to cast Streep as Leia. It's a dumb idea. A Star Wars movie featuring a recast iconic character just bombed at the box office.

It's amazing how quickly something goes from fan theory to rumor to insider scuttlebutt to "confirmed" fact on internet discussions of media these days, especially compared to how long that total bullshit will stick around once someone repeats it. I still see people presenting that fanfiction about how Iron Man 2 would have been better if the elder Stark had been the one who stole the tech from Vanko as actual fact to this day.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Shoulda gone for full 'confuse the audience' points and had the crime boss be a new character coincidentally played by Harrison Ford.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Erotic Wakes posted:

I still see people presenting that fanfiction about how Iron Man 2 would have been better if the elder Stark had been the one who stole the tech from Vanko as actual fact to this day.

That would have been better. Iron Man 2 is bad.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Seen Solo twice now. I actually think it’s pretty good, warts and all. There are some very awkward editing at times but I’ve seen much worse.

I feel bad that this is bombing. All things considered, I think it’s interesting enough to warrant sequels.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BigglesSWE posted:

Seen Solo twice now. I actually think it’s pretty good, warts and all. There are some very awkward editing at times but I’ve seen much worse.

I feel bad that this is bombing. All things considered, I think it’s interesting enough to warrant sequels.

If you want to know more about Han Solo there are a few other movies you can check out.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

BigglesSWE posted:

I haven't seen it twice yet, but at the same time, I found myself really interested in exploring the pre-Galactic Civil War underworld. I hope Disney and Lucasfilm just say gently caress it and greenlight a follow up, but it's a business so it's a shame that will likely never happen. Maybe the Blu-Ray and digital release can create some sort of cult following for the movie to push it along.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My idea for a sequel: A few years following the events of the first film, Han and Chewie happen upon a desert farmboy and an old jedi monk seeking passage to Alderaan, which sets them on a rip-roaring adventure of galactic importance.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
An actual sequel to this movie could be Han and Chewie heading out to find and rescue Chewie’s family, who ends up dying in the end.

And thus, the Holiday special is finally obliterated from canon.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Doronin posted:

I haven't seen it twice yet, but at the same time, I found myself really interested in exploring the pre-Galactic Civil War underworld. I hope Disney and Lucasfilm just say gently caress it and greenlight a follow up, but it's a business so it's a shame that will likely never happen. Maybe the Blu-Ray and digital release can create some sort of cult following for the movie to push it along.

Why? The Crimson Dawn are helmed by a Sith and Enfys Nest is just proto-Resistance. It's the same loving factions all over again. "Underworld" my rear end.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Unoriginal Name posted:

Why? The Crimson Dawn are helmed by a Sith and Enfys Nest is just proto-Resistance. It's the same loving factions all over again. "Underworld" my rear end.

Crimson Dawn is headed by a former Sith, who has nothing to do with the Sith actually in charge of the Sith Empire. He's on his own, and is actually out for revenge against Palpatine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

My idea for a sequel: A few years following the events of the first film, Han and Chewie happen upon a desert farmboy and an old jedi monk seeking passage to Alderaan, which sets them on a rip-roaring adventure of galactic importance.

lmao that sounds dumb as hell.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The movie actually takes place more than a decade before ANH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DrNutt posted:

lmao that sounds dumb as hell.

Thinking it over I have to agree, how could we fit in some more Star Wars callbacks.