Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Congrats on getting what's arguably the best phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol sounds like I'm waiting until DP4

I don't know, its so subtle I didn't even realize there was any haptic until I read this post and tested it

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Is it a/b testing? I have no haptics but I think my tray animation bounces a little bit. Only from home screen, it goes up a little too high then settles down to height, in an app it's just pulling straight up to height.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

DP3 is good so far on my OG XL. The haptic on task-switcher took literally 3 times to get used to and it's a nice little indicator that yes, I did swipe it properly instead of just swiping the chin and wondering why it didn't work.

The network indicator seems more reliable, I haven't seen "31000" instead of "Verizon Wireless" since I loaded it.

Stability is good so far, but so was the last build. Performance seems good. I'll be able to get a feel for battery tomorrow when I'm actually going into the office.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm getting a few new not so useful notifications appearing, like letting me know Lynket is monitoring what apps are open

Doesn't appear to be much option to silence that particular type of notification either

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You can try one of the notification hiding apps listed on the last couple of pages to hide them

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

I'm getting a few new not so useful notifications appearing, like letting me know Lynket is monitoring what apps are open

Doesn't appear to be much option to silence that particular type of notification either

If you press&hold the notification, does anything happen? It should open a menu with blocking options.

Blue Train posted:

notification hiding apps

It's a sad state of affairs that this is a thing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ola posted:

If you press&hold the notification, does anything happen? It should open a menu with blocking options.

No, not this time round it seems. You can minimize it (don't remember seeing that option before?), which just hides the icon from notifications, but still there on the drop-down

You can still use the nuclear option of blocking all notifications from that app obviously

e: the preview from last year had silly stuff like this that you could hide by the time is was released, so I'm not too worried

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 7, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

E: misread, sorry

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

General rule of thumb is if a new version of Android that's increasing security and privacy starts giving you notifications about behavior of an app, chances are it's doing some sort of hack to deliver its functionally.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Observing your actions is an explicit permission that is available and must be granted for an app to do so, and it just sounds like that notification is either reminding you or letting you know that it is being used. I've seen notifications that say x app is displaying over other apps, another explicit permission that must be granted. Assuming, of course. that the apps have been updated to request permissions individually when needed as opposed to the old style where they were granted all at once on install.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Holy geez the 2 XL is not a small phone. I feel like I'm in the future for how well everything runs.

Thanks for the ear bud links. That gives me a starting point to research at least.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah it's not a hack it's doing, it's only used for a specific option, which it then asks for the permission to do so when enabled

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pixel 3 XL got leaked on XDA it looks like.

Probably the announcement being in August is true if it's already out like this? I think the last time a phone was physically leaked like this, it was close to being announced.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/07/pixel-3-xl-two-photos-sure-looks-like-googles-next-phone/

Image problems fixed. Thanks Thermopyle! Honorary mention to elmer chud!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 7, 2018

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pixel 3 XL got leaked on XDA it looks like.

Probably the announcement being in August is true if it's already out like this? I think the last time a phone was physically leaked like this, it was close to being announced.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/07/pixel-3-xl-two-photos-sure-looks-like-googles-next-phone/

Sorry if these images are huge... Imgur changed things and I'm not sure how to make them smaller...

You can add a lowercase L to the end of the file name just before the period, that will automatically lower the size.

Edit:

elmer chud fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 7, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wow it's a rectangle

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
The notch looks like a face. 😐

Actually

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aw man, I was hoping for 2 rear facing cameras on the 3XL.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Is there a list of apps that are broken in the developer previews? Trying to convince myself not to try it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jigoku posted:

Is there a list of apps that are broken in the developer previews? Trying to convince myself not to try it.

Only app I had problems with was hikvision

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Notch AND chin, best of both worlds

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm interested in the back and the fact that it might be frosted glass.

If it has to be glass, etched is the best way to go about doing it since it will hide fingerprints and scratches.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but I kind of like the chin on my OG Pixel. On my old Samsung phones it was always impossible to hand someone my phone without them hitting a soft button.

It's nice that the bezels seem much slimmer here, though. I was planning to get whatever the next XL will be.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
All glass back = Qi charging returns :pray:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anyone on a 2XL and the P beta able to confirm if the bluetooth volume issue is fixed?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm not used to living in dry places because I literally live in a hellhole tropical island where humidity is almost always 90%+ so we don't have a static shocks. Then I move to texas for a years MOB and getting out of my car I touch the the door get a good shock and send my phone flying 6 feet into the ground with great force. Surprised the screen didn't shatter at all, but ever since then my already spotty reception has become nearly non existent

So I'm going to buy myself something new. Should I buy myself a cheap one to tide me over till the pixel 3 comes out? Should I get an S9? How's Samsung with updates right now? I hear carrier phones are poo poo but that unlocked phones still get monthly security updates?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm not used to living in dry places because I literally live in a hellhole tropical island where humidity is almost always 90%+ so we don't have a static shocks. Then I move to texas for a years MOB and getting out of my car I touch the the door get a good shock and send my phone flying 6 feet into the ground with great force. Surprised the screen didn't shatter at all, but ever since then my already spotty reception has become nearly non existent

So I'm going to buy myself something new. Should I buy myself a cheap one to tide me over till the pixel 3 comes out? Should I get an S9? How's Samsung with updates right now? I hear carrier phones are poo poo but that unlocked phones still get monthly security updates?

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/06/06/samsung-is-failing-to-update-the-galaxy-s9-and-s9-in-the-us/ I wouldn't touch the S9 or S9+ if you live in the US. Samsung is apparently just not bothering to update them. Unlocked or not.

elmer chud posted:

You can add a lowercase L to the end of the file name just before the period, that will automatically lower the size.

Edit:

This didn't work for me. :/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

This didn't work for me. :/

Just wrap images in a timg tag instead of an img tag if you're not sure about the size when you're on mobile.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/06/06/samsung-is-failing-to-update-the-galaxy-s9-and-s9-in-the-us/ I wouldn't touch the S9 or S9+ if you live in the US. Samsung is apparently just not bothering to update them. Unlocked or not.

Geeze, even the burner Moto Z Play I have is much more current.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm about to order a Pixel 2 XL, after my S8 being a bitch (warranty, then eBay), but I read about issues with the USB-C dongle. What's that about? I read about software issues, which I presume are fixed now, and the dongle itself being crap quality. That right? What's an alternative one?

--edit: lol at the P3XL leak and potential August date. :(

Then again, it'll probably go for 1000€ or more, the P2XL sells for 600 currently.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 7, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Just wrap images in a timg tag instead of an img tag if you're not sure about the size when you're on mobile.

Did this, thank you! :)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm about to order a Pixel 2 XL, after my S8 being a bitch (warranty, then eBay), but I read about issues with the USB-C dongle. What's that about? I read about software issues, which I presume are fixed now, and the dongle itself being crap quality. That right? What's an alternative one?

Then again, it'll probably go for 1000€ or more, the P2XL sells for 600 currently.

The (possibly) imminent Pixel 3 launch may also mean more sales and price reductions on the Pixel 2 in the coming months. If your need isn't urgent, and you're fine with a P2, maybe keep an eye out for deals.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait where is the pixel 2 xl 600, I'd jump on that over an S9

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
eBay Germany.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FWIW, other than "ooo shiny new things" I haven't felt a need to upgrade my OG Pixel XL for any performance or quality reasons. That might bode well for someone who was to get a P2XL who is worried about the P3XL coming out any time soon.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, other than "ooo shiny new things" I haven't felt a need to upgrade my OG Pixel XL for any performance or quality reasons. That might bode well for someone who was to get a P2XL who is worried about the P3XL coming out any time soon.

Did portrait mode and other Pixel 2 camera stuff reach the Pixel 1, or was there some that was hardware?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

sourdough posted:

Did portrait mode and other Pixel 2 camera stuff reach the Pixel 1, or was there some that was hardware?

Ish.... Camera nx from chromeloops has worked great on my og pixel, but it isn't in the app store. Root isn't needed tho. I disable the default can and set nx. It can do 120fps slomo, but 240fps drops a lot of frames.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

incogneato posted:

The (possibly) imminent Pixel 3 launch may also mean more sales and price reductions on the Pixel 2 in the coming months. If your need isn't urgent, and you're fine with a P2, maybe keep an eye out for deals.

This will probably be me.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bull3964 posted:

They added haptic feedback when bringing up the task switching menu in DP3. Ok, I can somewhat understand that since hitting the task switcher button before would vibrate.

Only problem is you still get the vibration if you continue swiping upward to get the application list. Yeah, that's annoying enough to get me to write off the new gesture navigation unless they fix it.

I'm not experiencing this on DP3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Headphone jack is not coming back to pixels :(. Guess its oneplus till they stop offering them also.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-xl-glass-back-display-notch/