Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Laranzu posted:

Navy resurrected WO1 for CTN Ions because they all get out.

They they went and made it a 6 year service commitment. Which is really really stupid.

Why would anyone ( thinking of staying in) go warrant at E5, give up the massive reenlistment bonus you can get, only to get promoted to CWO2 in a few years and wind up a Divo or something?

Everyone gets out because the promotion pulls them away from doing the actual job. Let them do the loving job and they might not get out.

:chiefsay:

this is why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeismicTriangle
Nov 5, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Navy resurrected WO1 for CTN Ions because they all get out.

They they went and made it a 6 year service commitment. Which is really really stupid.

Why would anyone ( thinking of staying in) go warrant at E5, give up the massive reenlistment bonus you can get, only to get promoted to CWO2 in a few years and wind up a Divo or something?

Everyone gets out because the promotion pulls them away from doing the actual job. Let them do the loving job and they might not get out.

Well it says they must have 12 years TIS to be eligible for WO2 so you could get through without ever hitting WO2, but if you could reenlist for near 75k thats more money than WO1 pay bump would be over the 6 years. Hopefully they can figure it out in the next few years though, I wanna give ion a shot and i'm inclined to stay in if its reasonable.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I guess the quickest fix would be to give special duty pay like we do for flight, sea, or subs to try and make up the difference

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I guess the quickest fix would be to give special duty pay like we do for flight, sea, or subs to try and make up the difference

Enlisted qualified ions get SDAP now

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

Feels kind of odd there seems to be little path for eternal E6 sailors who just want to do their job. You would think you would try to retain and reward experience.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Retain and reward is the opposite of chief culture and goat lockers are the cancer that will has metastasized and will has killed morale

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I'm curious to see how the ION WO program works out. I mean financial compensation is certainly part of the retention problem for those guys, but it's only part of a constellation of issues. I'm not optimistic that USCC in general, or the Navy in particular, has cracked that but for the CMF.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm curious to see how the ION WO program works out. I mean financial compensation is certainly part of the retention problem for those guys, but it's only part of a constellation of issues. I'm not optimistic that USCC in general, or the Navy in particular, has cracked that but for the CMF.

The way we employ warrants right now is terrible. They aren't often operational as they were designed to be. Most of the time they pop up in a NIOC they are placed in an admin role that is held by a baby LT. Did they even make the billets for warrant IONs? Will they exist past CWO3?

Without more billet guidance locking you into an actual operational role for the long term and a ton more cash, this program doesn't have enough draw to keep the good talent.

If I'm reading SDAP correctly you would even lose that, making the pay differential almost nothing. Add in the loss of bonus money and holy poo poo you're negative earnings over a career.

Granted it's only a few spots the first years so they might get someone. It's just not going to be the best people.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Laranzu posted:

The way we employ warrants right now is terrible. They aren't often operational as they were designed to be. Most of the time they pop up in a NIOC they are placed in an admin role that is held by a baby LT. Did they even make the billets for warrant IONs? Will they exist past CWO3?

Without more billet guidance locking you into an actual operational role for the long term and a ton more cash, this program doesn't have enough draw to keep the good talent.

If I'm reading SDAP correctly you would even lose that, making the pay differential almost nothing. Add in the loss of bonus money and holy poo poo you're negative earnings over a career.

Granted it's only a few spots the first years so they might get someone. It's just not going to be the best people.

Creating a specific ION warrant designator should theoretically allow the Navy to better control their assignments so that they don't end up at a NIOC or NAVIFOR or DISA doing some bullshit DIVO thing.

I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but the lol who am I kidding? We'll gently caress this program up.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but the lol who am I kidding? We'll gently caress this program up.

By god, our Skipper is learning.

Speaking of more things the Navy will gently caress up, the new utility uniform prototypes. Dreadful. Just take the Coasties stuff and use it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Or, you know, just wear coveralls all the time.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Quick question for the thread:

I did USMCR 2003-2011. Started in the infantry, went to intel, did a tour. Then I got my degree, graduated in 2016. I'm 33. If I was interested in going officer, where should I start reading?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Or, you know, just wear coveralls all the time.

too close to flight suits, can’t be confusing anyone!

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Loel posted:

I did USMCR 2003-2011. Started in the infantry, went to intel, did a tour. Then I got my degree, graduated in 2016. I'm 33. If I was interested in going officer, where should I start reading?

1: What kind of officer do you want to be? Several allow you to apply, but 35 at time of commissioning is the cut off for just about anything Unrestricted Line.

2: OCS might be your only option, unless you have a professional degree (lawyer, doctor, dentist, nurse). In that case you'd want to go Officer Development School. Don't let a recruiter try to tell you that you can just lat transfer from Supply or something.

3: Why are you interested in becoming an officer now? If this really is your life goal, great. However, just about all your peers will be close to 10 years younger then you. Young 20 year olds are idiots.

4: You'll likely need to go to your local recruiter and work with them to get a package started (at least that's what I did back in 2012). You'll have to push them to get things done quickly because from an age restriction perspective, you don't have a lot of time.

I won't hammer the whole "Why do you want to join?" point that you'll see a lot. I will say think it through and consider all your options, especially since you're close to the age restriction.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

Loel posted:

The idiots thread.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

A SOF Marine posted:

The idiots thread.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

A SOF Marine posted:

The idiots thread.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

The Valley Stared posted:

1: What kind of officer do you want to be? Several allow you to apply, but 35 at time of commissioning is the cut off for just about anything Unrestricted Line.

Sub or Surface, I have lovely eyes so aviator is right out.

quote:

3: Why are you interested in becoming an officer now? If this really is your life goal, great. However, just about all your peers will be close to 10 years younger then you. Young 20 year olds are idiots.

Healthcare/family reasons, predominately. Having a steady paycheck, housing and medical would really help out the 'start a family' plan. Getting old for that too, after all.

quote:

I won't hammer the whole "Why do you want to join?" point that you'll see a lot. I will say think it through and consider all your options, especially since you're close to the age restriction.

Agreed. I've read the idiots thread, been talking to people who are still in. They are army/USMC though, so I'm trying to get the navy view.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Loel posted:

Healthcare/family reasons, predominately. Having a steady paycheck, housing and medical would really help out the 'start a family' plan. Getting old for that too, after all.

Ah yes, When I think "ease of starting a family," I think "I should join the United States Navy!"

For real though DOD gives no fucks about families.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

For real though DOD gives no fucks about families.

if anyone can say this with authority its this dude

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Loel posted:

Agreed. I've read the idiots thread, been talking to people who are still in. They are army/USMC though, so I'm trying to get the navy view.

I'm summoning a friend to hopefully come you out of anything related to submarines. You should also just go to the Air Force or better yet get a job with Goldman Sachs or some poo poo. Because gently caress your family life.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
On the flip side if you (stupidly) decide to go through with this, get a non deplorable staff officer job. If you unfortunately wind up in a position that will go to sea, immediately volunteer for submarine duty. Submarines are awful and terrible but you at least generally don’t deal with the normal idiots. Manning is so tight that no one can bear the cost of idiots wasting time and a rack for someone useful so they get transferred.

Because you’re old you’ll like the environment better

But don’t get a job that can ever be on a ship

And don’t ever join the navy

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

On the flip side if you (stupidly) decide to go through with this, get a non deplorable staff officer job. If you unfortunately wind up in a position that will go to sea, immediately volunteer for submarine duty. Submarines are awful and terrible but you at least generally don’t deal with the normal idiots. Manning is so tight that no one can bear the cost of idiots wasting time and a rack for someone useful so they get transferred.

Because you’re old you’ll like the environment better

But don’t get a job that can ever be on a ship

And don’t ever join the navy

Don't listen to them. Go SWO. Get stationed on a FDNF small-boy in Japan. Then do staff duty with an ESG/ARG. Reup for the department head bonus.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

As a Marine on FDNF ship I agree with this plan. Bonus points if you have to go to DRB twice as a DivO and have your base driving suspended permanently and still somehow make LT.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Loel posted:

You're too old for Sub (waivers only go to 31) so you're already limited there. I think NFOs can be up to 35, but if your eyes are poo poo, that's another no go. That might be a situation where you can go to 35 if you have prior time in.

What I'm seeing for SWO is that you can't be older then 29 at time of commissioning, but because you have prior service, you MAY be able to get a waiver for 35.

But Loel, not going to lie; SWO life is not conducive for family life. I know people that have gone on 3 deployments in the last 3 years. One's been on 4 in the past 5 years. During inspection time, you can expect to get on the ship early and leave late. If you leave at all that night. Healthcare is poo poo on the ship often just "more Motrin". Expect to be underway or on deployment when you have kids. If you're really lucky, you'll be on shore duty, but that won't happen until you've got 4 years in. Staff billets are gone now for 2nd tours.

Due to all of the problems that happened last year, JOs are under a lot of scrutiny right now. Any gently caress-up could be it because the Navy can't really afford any more sailors or airmen dead from "preventable accidents."

You'll still encounter your massive idiots in the navy too. We had an officer on one of my ships that made everyone uncomfortable, could barely function as a human being, and no one was sure how he had gotten a commission (he was a prior OS).

Mind you, there is nothing quite like being on the bridge at 3 in the morning when there's no one around, it's just the hum of the engines and billions of starts in the sky. Or the feeling you get when you're getting ready for a big exercise and you get everything ready for the next watch and it goes so smooth. Those are the things that I miss about being underway.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I legit feel bad for anyone that commissions as a SWO for (at least) the next 5 years or so.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

The Valley Stared posted:

You're too old for Sub (waivers only go to 31) so you're already limited there. I think NFOs can be up to 35, but if your eyes are poo poo, that's another no go. That might be a situation where you can go to 35 if you have prior time in.

What I'm seeing for SWO is that you can't be older then 29 at time of commissioning, but because you have prior service, you MAY be able to get a waiver for 35.

But Loel, not going to lie; SWO life is not conducive for family life. I know people that have gone on 3 deployments in the last 3 years. One's been on 4 in the past 5 years. During inspection time, you can expect to get on the ship early and leave late. If you leave at all that night. Healthcare is poo poo on the ship often just "more Motrin". Expect to be underway or on deployment when you have kids. If you're really lucky, you'll be on shore duty, but that won't happen until you've got 4 years in. Staff billets are gone now for 2nd tours.

Due to all of the problems that happened last year, JOs are under a lot of scrutiny right now. Any gently caress-up could be it because the Navy can't really afford any more sailors or airmen dead from "preventable accidents."

You'll still encounter your massive idiots in the navy too. We had an officer on one of my ships that made everyone uncomfortable, could barely function as a human being, and no one was sure how he had gotten a commission (he was a prior OS).

Mind you, there is nothing quite like being on the bridge at 3 in the morning when there's no one around, it's just the hum of the engines and billions of starts in the sky. Or the feeling you get when you're getting ready for a big exercise and you get everything ready for the next watch and it goes so smooth. Those are the things that I miss about being underway.

Depending on how hosed up his eyes are, he could still NFO. Pretty sure he needs to be correctable to 20/20, not colorblind, and probably some other stuff. There are plenty of NFO’s and glasses jokes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trump hates EMALS.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Just go to a maritime academy and go merchant marine.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Crawling around the basement of the USNO and was shown this monstrosity in the basement steam tunnel.

Some mason got cute 140 years ago.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Big thanks for the suggestions of things to do in Italy. I booked an eight hour small group tour (with lunch) of the Almalfi Coast on viator (100 bux per person) and it was probably one of the best tours I have ever done. We were picked up at our hotel so we didn’t have to mess with a train, taxi, or tour bus and then we hit a few cities along the coast. Really great experience so thanks again.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Here I am. Two weeks in one of the smallest, shittiest bases the Navy has. No transportation.
And now, 600 British sailors and marines show up. Hooray.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stultus Maximus posted:

Here I am. Two weeks in one of the smallest, shittiest bases the Navy has. No transportation.
And now, 600 British sailors and marines show up. Hooray.

Where are you?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Where are you?

White Beach, Okinawa.

Also: The British don't make their sailors any hotter than the US does. Yikes.
Also: Note to the British - you are British. Accept it. You cannot spend more than ten minutes in the sun without going all lobster. It's not a good look.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

White Beach, Okinawa.

Also: Note to the British - you are British. Accept it. You cannot spend more than ten minutes in the sun without going all lobster. It's not a good look.

How is british navy dental?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stultus Maximus posted:

White Beach, Okinawa.

I spend lots of time at white beach and agree it's the shittiest navy base I've been to. When the MEU is doing their onload they have shuttles that go to Kadena. Not sure about other times though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

How is british navy dental?

I have not gotten that up close and personal to judge.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I spend lots of time at white beach and agree it's the shittiest navy base I've been to. When the MEU is doing their onload they have shuttles that go to Kadena. Not sure about other times though.

They sure don't. Even if they did, it's more that after working hours the base club is literally the only place for me to eat. And tonight, to drink a fuckton of scotch while silently judging the physical appearances of British sailors and also studying to certify as an AP chemistry teacher.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
You can (used to be able to) call taxis to the mwr building and while Naha and most things worth seeing (the aquarium) are kind of far unless you're spending a night out in town. Walking by the shops near Kadena was alright. Or just take a cab to the Don Quixote nearby and buy a bunch of snacks.

Yeah, White Beach is pretty awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I will remember okinawa forever because of a certain special cook. Carlson i believe was his name. I think he’s a CS1 and gonna retire a first class in a few years now (or at least i hope so).

This cook was not bright. He was one of the people that it was painfully obvious the navy was basically it for him because he wasn’t going to do anything else. He was super friendly and one of the nicest guys on the ship, but also just not smart. SPACE HOMOS and Dr. Arbitrary know the guy i’m talking about.

So our ship was based in Yoko so of course we went to okinawa frequently. Our cook friend had a “girlfriend” in one of the unmarked brothels out in the honch. He was dropping hundreds a week to go see her for a few nights.

We’re in Okinawa, and all the sailors are in town doing what sailors do. I don’t think i went on liberty with SPACE HOMOS, but we ran into each other near a red light district. Next thing we know we hear our cook friend start yelling SPACE HOMOS last name a few times to get our attention and then proceeds to tell us how he had been getting robbed back in the honch. Turns out his “girlfriend” had just been thigh loving him and he lost his virginity to an okinawa hooker instead.

That whole situation still makes me chuckle. Shine on you simple cook.