Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, Obsidian literally invented the voiced dialogue wheel in Alpha Protocol. It worked there because the the protagonist was his own interesting character, you just picked his methods.

No, at the very least Mass Effect preceded it by almost 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Neurolimal posted:

Voiced dialogue could have been fine if the character they wrote for it was good, it just so happens that the Sole Survivor is a schizophrenic sarcastic terminator with one goal: where is my john connor

I mean, Obsidian literally invented the voiced dialogue wheel in Alpha Protocol. It worked there because the the protagonist was his own interesting character, you just picked his methods.

While I don't disagree that Alpha Protocol did the dialogue wheel well, it was actually invented by Bioware in Mass Effect several years prior

Efb

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I knew that'd get some approving nods.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Rinkles posted:

No, at the very least Mass Effect preceded it by almost 3 years.

Coulda swore it was the other way around, my bad.

Point being, it can work just fine in stuff like Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect 2, you just need to realize that you cant just make them 100% cyphers for the player.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Neurolimal posted:

Voiced dialogue could have been fine if the character they wrote for it was good, it just so happens that the Sole Survivor is a schizophrenic sarcastic terminator with one goal: where is my john connor

Oh man, Alpha Protocol is such a a fun loving game. I would kill for a sequel or a new property in the same vein/with similar mechanics.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i think the biggest problem with bethesda's games is that they do things piecemeal and you can tell.

Team one is working on the main plot, team two is working on the minutemen, team three is working on the railroad, team four is working on the artwork, team five is working on one DLC etc. And sometimes you can tell these teams maybe have communication issues.

Even the voice acting has obvious signs of piecemeal. I'm talking to Nick in Far Harbour and then a few lines of dialogue later his voice completely changes because they recorded new dialogue but didn't even try to sync up the sound.

It's also apparent even in the base game that they recorded lines not in any sort of order or even attempt to make it sound natural. It's immersion breaking when the tone of a conversation completely changes during an NPCs speech from sentence to sentence.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Voiced protag was a genuinely terrible choice, I've seen plenty of people poo poo all over it tons elsewhere too, bad idea with bad execution that only hurt Bethesda's bad writing even more.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Todd Coward

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I wonder what Todd thinks of Toddposting.

Maybe he's in on it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Poniard posted:

I wonder what Todd thinks of Toddposting.

Maybe he's in on it.

He's actually the lead singer on the Todd Howard opera

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Almost all games developers are awful at directing voice actors and spend not enough time and money on such things. Compared to even the cheapest cartoon most games have worse voice acting.

But yes Bethesda probably don’t help an actors performance with their silly secrecy- they give the actors so little information they don’t even know they are in a Fallout game (see Kellogg in Fallout 4).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rinkles posted:

NMA hated the guy, I think, because of his rather "Oblivion with guns" pitches to media, and because he wasn't very diplomatic about how he treated them and their opinions (he was very "we own fallout now, and we'll do as we like. Deal with it.")

I like Pete Hines for this very reason. I get tired of press/PR people being double-speaking diplomats. Also, take a look at what Pete said regarding the political controversy regarding Wolfenstein II. His basic response was "It's just a game, it's not political, and we're not changing a thing." I respect that!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yardbomb posted:

Voiced protag was a genuinely terrible choice, I've seen plenty of people poo poo all over it tons elsewhere too, bad idea with bad execution that only hurt Bethesda's bad writing even more.

I actually looked forward to this before I'd played the game. My thought was that Beth's dialog would be a lot better if they heard real people saying it out loud. I was disappointed to find that even though real humans said the player dialogue out lout, it was still silly dumb bullshit.

Edit: Sorry for doublepost

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

marktheando posted:

But yes Bethesda probably don’t help an actors performance with their silly secrecy- they give the actors so little information they don’t even know they are in a Fallout game (see Kellogg in Fallout 4).

Yeah, that's the worst part. They assemble the spoken lines like the team trying to get the passcode in Sneakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GzlOpf3KA

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Berke Negri posted:

i cant really say todd howard seems like a cool guy cause he seems to be a huge dweeb but he seems nice enough

He does, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrIT2wBxb70

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even though Wolfenstein absolutely is political. It's just addressing race politics from the 60s

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I wonder if Bethesda makes its VA say lines that are intentionally not going to use, maybe even different fake lines per VA to root out any leakers.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

I wonder if Bethesda makes its VA say lines that are intentionally not going to use, maybe even different fake lines per VA to root out any leakers.

I wouldn’t be surprised. The games industry’s obsession with secrecy is so stupid.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My mental image of the voice actors reading the Beth writer's dialogue to act is the scene from Always Sunny "The Gang Runs for Office" when Dennis has to read Charlie's speech.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

chaosapiant posted:

I like Pete Hines for this very reason. I get tired of press/PR people being double-speaking diplomats. Also, take a look at what Pete said regarding the political controversy regarding Wolfenstein II. His basic response was "It's just a game, it's not political, and we're not changing a thing." I respect that!

well it was more like we don't think there's anything controversial about killing nazis, which is cool

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The sole survivor female VA in F4 is pretty good though? The male seemed pretty bad, though. Another thing that carried over from Mass Effect :v:

I don't mind a voiced protagonist because all games have to be ~cinematic~ now but I'd like it if they offered choices like the four different VA options in Dragon Age Inquisition or the seven in Saints Row 3/4 (though admittedly an open-world GTA-style game is gonna have way less voicework than an RPG).

I'm sure they're trying to do it for the next Elder Scrolls and I can't imagine how they would. As much as people poo poo on Bethesda I don't think they'd slap generic American white guy voice onto an Argonian PC and call it a day.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Lol if you keep fallout 4's cinematic camera turned on. Walking away from NPCs mid conversation is pretty good.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't mind a voiced protagonist because all games have to be ~cinematic~ now but I'd like it if they offered choices like the four different VA options in Dragon Age Inquisition or the seven in Saints Row 3/4 (though admittedly an open-world GTA-style game is gonna have way less voicework than an RPG)..

I wouldn't mind if there was an actual character being voice acted. Even just something along the lines of borderlands (since they already took and poorly implemented the random guns idea) where every so often they'll spit out a one liner when you kill something. Now, obviously as a Bethesda product there'd be like three lines and they'd fire every time combat ended, but it would have added flavor to what is otherwise an extremely one note DadMom.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I didn't know I wanted it, but now I realised I want my Skyrim and FO4 protags spouting Duke Nukem-esq one liners after beating encounters.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wolfsheim posted:

As much as people poo poo on Bethesda I don't think they'd slap generic American white guy voice onto an Argonian PC and call it a day.

"Do it a little more shrill. Okay good, ship it."

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

He's actually the lead singer on the Todd Howard opera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XQ63U9icDU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Berke Negri posted:

well it was more like we don't think there's anything controversial about killing nazis, which is cool

Haven't you heard that there were good and bad people on both sides?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I wish more voiced protagonist games would take from Obsidian and Alpha Protocol is the timed response mechanic. You have to make a decision during dialogue which option to take before the timer runs out. This has a dual purpose of making you react with split second decision making, while also allowing the dialogue to flow like a natural conversation because you don't have enormous pauses while you mull over your speech options.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

while also allowing the dialogue to flow like a natural conversation because you don't have enormous pauses turn away to put on a dress while you mull over your speech options.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I didn't know I wanted it, but now I realised I want my Skyrim and FO4 protags spouting Duke Nukem-esq one liners after beating encounters.

Tgey could've had a lot of fun with the whole "man from the past" thing, too.

PC: "How d'ya like them apples?"

Cait: ... The gently caress's an apple?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
is it safe to assume all future fallouts are going to have voiced protags now because Seanmom makes my ears bleed after a few hours and I cant imagine awful VAs in all the upcoming sequels

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

buglord posted:

is it safe to assume all future fallouts are going to have voiced protags now because Seanmom makes my ears bleed after a few hours and I cant imagine awful VAs in all the upcoming sequels

yeah probs

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
if they go voice again get rid of the sighing the vault dweller does when i skip dialogue, that was weak af and annopying

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I want the ability to purchase life-size replicas of Muggy and Toaster so they can scream at me about destroying my apartment at the wee hours of the morning

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

if they go voice again get rid of the sighing the vault dweller does when i skip dialogue, that was weak af and annopying

If you press the evil button to skip you will insult them instead of sighing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

keep it when youre drunk though

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The worst part of everything being voice acted was that they railroaded every last conversation. Meanwhile EVERY dialog choice had four options. Exactly four no matter what. Few conversations had meaningful choices that affected much or even changed how the conversation went. You basically just picked what sound clips you wanted to hear between the plot points. The majority of the game's conversations could have just been cut scenes where whoever you're talking to just says what they have to say. Rewards could have just gone up based on your charisma instead of making you click "gently caress you more caps" repeatedly.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
More often than not, the four dialogue options would be slightly different and all voiced in different intonations while saying the same thing. I don't believe that the voiced dialogue is necessarily to blame for the railroady conversation, or at least, I don't think it's the biggest culprit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It stapled a thin illusion of choice over situations where there weren't any choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the only real choice is shooting everyone in the face with a submachine gun anyways