Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The only relevance that Alterac ever had in WoW was a minor questline in Vanilla, where members of the Horde slew the last known member of the royal family (who’d been reduced to an admittedly kind of nice but small shack on the lakeshore) so they could... retrieve a necklace with some sentimental value for Thrall.

And apparently being most of the reason Stromgarde fell into ruin sometime between now and the start of WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Regalingualius posted:

The only relevance that Alterac ever had in WoW was a minor questline in Vanilla, where members of the Horde slew the last known member of the royal family (who’d been reduced to an admittedly kind of nice but small shack on the lakeshore) so they could... retrieve a necklace with some sentimental value for Thrall.

So despite my years with WoW, I really only experienced Horde questlines from the perspective of a Blood Elf trying to level quickly to get back up to cap for my raiding guild. Yet hearing about this quest always made me want to explore Vanilla WoW as Horde faction really paying attention to things. I like that it's this little nod to the Thrall's backstory that is mostly forgotten about in lieu of all the other things he's accomplished.

The Thrall of "Lord of the Clans" is markedly different from the one that we got in WC3 and it was nice to see that part of him wasn't completely excised.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact, Legion revealed that there was another very important factor in the crumbling of Stromgarde.

Death Knights resurrect Thoras Trollbane himself, former King of Stromgarde, to join a new Four Horsemen, and he reveals that Galen, his son, was the one who murdered him.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Read the new update, and things are getting real. One thing nagged at me, though - there's mentions of the common tongue in it, which is played up for comedic effect. However in the LP ending cutscene of ToD, Wells and Necksmasher briefly spoke with each other. Is this a sign that Necksmasher does know some common? Is this a sign that Wells knows Orcish? Or is it a something else?

Also this is lining up with what I got from looking into reasons behind Nigel's erratic behavior in the past LPs.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Azzur posted:

I did this awhile back, but I'm curious since we have a lot of newer readers or people who couldn't participate the first time around, so here's a little informal question:

What is your experience with the Warcraft series?

Late to this question but just discovered the wonderful thread in the past two weeks and I love talking about things related to me so here it goes.

I was actually introduced to World of Warcraft first. I was visiting relatives in Romania and my half-nephew who's older than me (my family is weird) introduced me to this big-rear end game with a lot of cool characters and races you could play as. I made my first character then, an undead warlock named Ryuran (I watched a lot of Yugioh back then), and then later got the gam for myself and made another undead warlock named Rishuran, because I was like 11 and creativity is hard.

I got sucked into it. I have fond memories of walking through Tirisfal Glades and Silverpine forest. To be honest, most of my memories are related to exploring the massive landscape of World of Warcraft. My fondest memories of WoW in general are related to exploring the vast landscape and varied regions of Azeroth, typically at the cost of life and limb. I spent a lot of time going through Alliance territory and regions I was way underleveled for, dying and corpserunning and dying again after making a few extra steps, repeating the whole process over and over but not really caring. I remember playing the game at 5AM once, running through the Dwarf and Gnome staring region and staring up at the night sky while this soft piano music from the game soundtrack played in the background, and I still feel touched by it. I also remember exploring the entirety of the Eastern Kingdoms' shoreline, which often meant swimming alongside of these extremely high and undetailed cliffs, because obviously nobody expected a lot of players to explore here. I remember coming across this one abandoned house with a dock just jutting out of these cliffs. Apparently called Newman's landing. I still find it fascinating to just think about the backstory behind it (the developers probably didn't intend one, but I was content to wonder nonetheless).

I got Burning Crusade the day it came out, but eventually stopped somewhere shy of getting a flying mount as the grinding required to level up became increasingly absurd even to my adolescent self. I came back to it a few times since then, but never end up playing for very long as I've grown increasingly repulsed by skinner box-heavy gameplay.

At some point in all of that, I discovered this big box chest set at GameStop that featured WarCraft 3, Starcraft, and Diablo 1 and 2, and I bought the hell out of it. I was not good at any of the games, but I knew how to cheat my way through the stories, which was good enough for me. I feel like that era of games was really the high-water mark for Blizzard's storytelling ambitions. Arthas' fall from grace remains compelling, and I continue to be impressed by how Blizzard managed to pull off this grim cynicism in Diablo 2 and Starcraft that still feels fresh today.

In fact, not to get too off-topic from Warcraft, but seriously. Having the main character from the first Diablo game end up losing his soul to the powerful demon he tried to contain in the second, having a revolution against a tyrannical government end up creating another tyrannical government in its place, and having the human protagonist in the expansion kill himself as his forces were about to be overwhelmed by a massive alien force were ballsy moves and still feel fresh, and I could sing their praises all drat day.

I maintain that Warcraft 3, Starcraft 1, and Diablo 1 and 2 were the peak of Blizzard in terms of Storytelling, and that everything since then has been increasingly dumb

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

SirSystemError posted:

Read the new update, and things are getting real. One thing nagged at me, though - there's mentions of the common tongue in it, which is played up for comedic effect. However in the LP ending cutscene of ToD, Wells and Necksmasher briefly spoke with each other. Is this a sign that Necksmasher does know some common? Is this a sign that Wells knows Orcish? Or is it a something else?

So as someone who has a lot of experience learning languages (and mostly failing), I've met people with a lot of different reasons for learning a language and how that drive changes their approach to language.

Originally in the "cutscene" that I made, I had Bloodgut comment "Your Common is coming along quite nicely, Chieftain," but it can be hard to make out. Bloodgut is fluent in Common, but has never had a real use for it other than using it to read and learn more about Azeroth. He's a nerd. Nigel has no interest in that, the only reason he would ever be taught Common would be so that he could use a few choice words and to show off that he is, in fact, not an idiot. His language use comes from the gut. Something akin to me, who can't keep a language in my head long enough articulate a well thought out speech, but get me into a crowd of people at a party and I'm suddenly having to apologize for talking too much.

Long story short, both Nigel and Bloodgut know Common, but only sort of. It's sort of implied that Nigel is studying off screen, but let's be honest... he's probably the worst student.

Welcome, welcome! It's really interesting to hear from someone who came into the series through WoW and had that as their first taste of Azeroth! I'm sometimes forget that I grew up in the "Golden Age of Blizzard" and also was fortunate enough (or charismatic enough) to talk all of my friends into playing the games as well. We had late night Diablo LANs, frustrated telephone calls about how difficult a WC map was, and tons of fawning over the AMAZING GRAPHICS of Starcraft.

Can't wait to see some more reactions as we go forward with this death trap of a game!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Xanderkish posted:

having the human protagonist in the expansion kill himself as his forces were about to be overwhelmed by a massive alien force

...DuGalle? ...Kiiiinda stretching the "protagonist" term there. I mean... well actually I guess not. Protagonist does refer to leading character of the story, not necessarily the good guy...

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Mystery Orc Theater 3000: Part Three

: Ahh... time to kick up the feet and relax. Beer me, Maggy.

: Aye, chief!

: Vilefeast! Pretzels!

: Freshly picked from under sofa cushions!

: Bloodgut-

: Footstool?

: Tempting... but no. Recap!

: Well... let's see. Durotan tried to overthrow Gul'dan, but Doomhammer-

: Ahem.

: ...Dumb Beard Guy. Yes, so, he betrayed him and told Gul'dan all about the plot. He then imprisoned Durotan and had the rest of the Frostwolves hunted down for their treason. Of course, Dumb Beard Guy then double... triple crossed, perhaps, Gul'dan and freed Durotan.

: 'Dis... sounds a lot dumber den I remember.

: And now, Durotan is calling for a mak'gora against Gul'dan.

: Haha, he's super dead.

: But Mr. Golden just old orc. Me crush him easy.

: Yeah, but Gul'dan's got all that magic. Come on, Durotan versus super warlock? No chance.

: I dunno, chief-mon, dat Gul'dan be lookin' pretty scrawny.

: I take dat back.

: Ugh, I think I'm gonna hurl. Ripped old dudes are totally gross.

: Shh! Fight starting!

: Oh. Yes. Riveting.

: Blood! Blood! Blood!

: Come on! You're a freakin' warlock! Do warlock poo poo!

: Like the patented warlock choke?

: This is why I should be given powers over life and death. No one would ever mess with me.

: Ya, but da powers jus' went ta Vile-mon an' I already wouldn't mess wit 'im.

: Haha. That silly. Me not messy. Very neat.

: So I have been wondering... those are bones growing out of Gul'dan's back?

: D'uh.

: Ya, mon, keep up.

: You guys don't have any questions about that?!

: Oooh! There it is! There's the magic!

: Ah, I see Durotan's game now.

: Go Fish?

: Just watch, Vilefeast. You may learn something.

: Know your audience, Bloodgut. Highly doubtful.

: No, wait. Now I get it.

: Ah, I forget that you can have a keen strategic mind at times, Chieftain.

: Yeah, Durotan just figured that life sucks, so... y'know, suicide by mak'gora.

: Ah, dat makes sense.

: No it doesn't! It's not keeping in line with Durotan's character at all!

: Well what do you say? I mean...

: Look at that face. He's hosed.

: That's exactly it! This is a mak'gora! It's supposed to be a fair fight.

: Looks pretty fair to me.

: Super fair.

: Come on, Chieftain!

: What the hell did he expect?! Gul'dan's been doin' the whole “soul sucking” thing this whole time!

: Exactly. Look at the other orcs.

: Ah... now it makes sense, mon.

: I still don't follow.

: Ah! Smart plan! Durotan have such big brain!

: Okay, this is just insulting now.

: You guys need to look up “smart” in a dictionary or something, because smart people typically survive their big plans.

: Just wait and see, Chieftain.

: ...ta die like dat. Bad juju, mon.

: You will follow this... thing? Will you? You will follow this demon?

: No!

: I will not! I follow a true orc! A chieftain.

: Alright... that is... kind of badass. For an idiot, y'know?

: Sometimes the surest path to victory isn't always through crushing your enemy.

: Yeah, but I mean, like, 99.9% of the time it is.

: And they turn against Gul'dan...

: And boom! Soul ripping territory!

: Didya forget dat 'e could do dat, Bloodbelly?

: Well, this is a turn that I didn't expect.

: Is Gul'dan just shooting Blackhand all full of fel?

: Looks dat way.

: Rad.

: By the ancestors! Do you still think it's “rad?”

: Yes. D'uh.

: Dese fel properties be real strange ta me. Dey either make ya disintegrate or dey make ya supa' strong?

: Fel like fire. It give, but it also take.

: You can be so wise some times, Vile-mon.

: That didn't answer anything!

: I hate to interrupt this aneurysm in progress, but the humans are here now? For... reasons.

: Wait! We didn't resolve the mak'gora!

: Hahaha... so, like, does that render Durotan's sacrifice moot?

: No... no... I'm sure that-

: Oh.

: It seems that Gul'dan is just going to... keep doing his thing.

: Cool. So Durotan's arc was entirely pointless, correct?

: Looks dat way, chief-mon.

: Haha. Everyone sucks but me.

: What Mr. Golden doing?

: It looks like he's... opening the portal once more?

: Still not sure why it closed, mon.

: Well with these reinforcements, the humans don't stand a chance.

: Me not see how Mr. Golden lose, now!

: Wow, uh, I guess the portal could close again.

: Magic is weird.

: Tell me about it, Vile-mon.

: Why is lady Garona still fighting for the humans!

: Do ya rememba' da chains an' stuff dat you orcs had 'er in in da beginning?

: Pfft. Slaves LOVE wearing chains. Isn't that right, Bloodgut?

: On second thought, I suppose I do understand to a certain extent...

: Are we just going to gloss over the freakin' weapons the humans have?!

: Explo-axe?! It never work! ...explo-sword, though...

: Ah, chief?

: Oh, what fresh Abyss is this?

: The Dark Portal now goes directly to... the human capital?

: Nothing makes sense anymore.

: Ugh, someone recap this because I am either too drunk or not drunk enough. Just shy of that sweet spot of “able to function properly.”

: Metal humans attack Mr. Golden because they want to save soft humans. Mr. Golden open portal to Draenor, but then it close. Then humans take the portal and it open to Stormwind so now humans can leave.

: Ugh. Who the gently caress wrote this war?

: Portal closed again.

: Oh. My. Godsdamned neck. I'm getting whiplash, here!

: Oh, hey, look! It's Korgath!

: Kargath, Chieftain.

: And that bet-welching bastard, Kilrogg!

: Don't forget da supa'powa'd Blackhand.

: Wow, jeez, what I wouldn't give for him to have his dumb mask again.

: And he's heading straight for the human warchief and Garona. This might actually be getting good.

: Me... actually slightly intimidated.

: Ya, mon. Blackhand be a lot scarier den joo told me 'e was.

: This... this was not Blackhand.

: Wait, wait, wait... everyone shut the hell up.

: Is Garona...?

: Da human king, mon?

: Wow, she actually had it in her. A double agent the whole time!

: That not strange for anyone else?

: That look like strange way of being happy.

: Nothing's weird about that! She's very emotional because she finally proved her loyalty to us!

: Yeah, Vile-mon, we know best here!

: She look like she in shock.

: Vilefeast, quiet! We're trying to watch this!

: Uhhh...

: Is this freakin' human an idiot?

: He look like a badass to me, Chieftain.

: Vilefeast! Where did you learn that kind of potty talk? Troll?!

: 'Ey, mon, don't look at me! I dun like ta swear.

: That- ...wait, is that true?

: That happened too fast for me. What just happened to our dumb lone human?

: It looks like the human was trying to take the king's body away by griffon, but he was snatched out of the air of Blackhand.

: Blackhand still so strong!

: Ugh, swearing and this continual hero worship of someone that isn't me? I raised you better than this.

: Oooh, Blackhand is issuing a challenge.

: ...why?

: I- ...what?

: I mean, why not just kill the human and be done with it? Seems really, really dumb to duel the guy while you hold all the cards.

: Ain't joo orcs all about honor an' stuff?

: NO! Come on, Maggy. Besides, it's just gonna teach the humans bad ideas in the future. Like they can just charge us alone. Y'know... like that other idiot did in the Second War.

: The one that dueled Doomh... Beard Guy? Hmm, that is strange.

: Stop talky time! Mak'gora! Mak'gora!

: Mak'gora! Mak' gora!

: What is he...

: Sliding under Blackhand?

: OOOF!

: He just-

: He just sliced Blackhand in the dick!

: I mean, I knew dat humans were bad, but mon...

: At least he finished him off so he didn't have to suffer-

: I can't believe that-

: -Didn't have to suffer from his dick getting sliced with a freakin' sword! What the gently caress, humans?!

: So badass...

: Language, mister!

: I'm sorry, what? They're letting the human go?!

: Well, he did technically win a mak'gora against the warchief.

: By slicing him in the friggin' twig an' berries! That's way worse than sucking out a dude's soul, if you ask me!

: Are ya sayin' dat all dis stuff happened wit'out choo guys?

: I... honestly don't know anymore. This hurts my brain.

: Welcome to the first step of alcoholism: acceptance.

: That's not even close to how that works.

: Ah, the second step: confusion. You work fast.

: Do you think that Dumb Beard Guy has any regrets for betraying Durotan?

: I think you mean, does Durotan regret betraying the Horde? Everything he did was entirely fruitless and completely in vain.

: That...

: That can't be true, right?

: ...right?

: Alright, that's all, folks. Come on. Let's get this shitshow behind us.

: Shh! Post credit scene!

: The what?

: Watch, Chieftain!

: No, no, no...

: This kid should be dead!

: I dun like dis, mon. A human wit' an orc child?

: What's the worst that could happen?

: Haha. You are so stupid, Bloodgut.

: I can't help but feel like dere's dis whole otha' story we missin'.

: Eh, let it go, Tusks. We're not meant to know everything.

Elsewhere...

: Captain Varin Wells, I've found a spell that you may find interesting...

Azzur fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 14, 2018

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

...DuGalle? ...Kiiiinda stretching the "protagonist" term there. I mean... well actually I guess not. Protagonist does refer to leading character of the story, not necessarily the good guy...

Shouldn't have given the captain a R&R back home.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Great job as always, although those who didn’t watch the movie are missing a major part of Garona’s story (not one that really made sense in my opinion, but still). The Orcs’ reactions are spot on and I can’t wait to see more of their story in the game. And does that last scene with Lady Morningpath mean what I think it means? If so, looking forward to that too.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
As someone who didn't watch the Warcraft movie because I cleverly predicted it would be a pile of hot garbage, does it actually have any redeeming features at all?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I thought it did. The CGI was well-done if obvious, the plot and character arcs were pretty well-written if predictable and cliched at times, and I enjoyed the Lore. Really, just get it on Netflix and you'll have a fun evening. That's what I did.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

PurpleXVI posted:

As someone who didn't watch the Warcraft movie because I cleverly predicted it would be a pile of hot garbage, does it actually have any redeeming features at all?

it's pretty cool, i liked it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So this WOW talk reminded me of something. Back in Vanilla I loved to explore. I discovered it was possible to swim from the hillsbrad zone all the way to westfall. While the fatigue meter would generally keep you from swimming out to far, I discovered if you hugged the edge of the mountains that set zone boundaries, you could reset the fatigue bar.

So my hunter and turtle pet swam for... about hour and a half? There were two things of note. One was a cabin nestled about halfway between the two zones. I couldn't check it out with my character, but by using the skill that allowed me to control my pet alongside some forced pathfinding abuse, I was able to have my turtle explore the cabin. Nothing interesting, just a duskwood cabin asset on a narrow strip of land.

The other thing was slightly more amusing. About halfway there, it turned out that the Stormwind zone reached out to where I was, so I could talk to stormwind general chat. I promised 100 gold to whoever could find my hiding spot. Even told them i was swimming.No one found me thankfully! I didn't actually have the gold.

Finally I ended up in Elwynn zone, then westfall! It was a disappointing end, although a fun journey.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

achtungnight posted:

I thought it did. The CGI was well-done if obvious, the plot and character arcs were pretty well-written if predictable and cliched at times, and I enjoyed the Lore. Really, just get it on Netflix and you'll have a fun evening. That's what I did.

So wait, the Warcraft movie is canon?

Also I don't know about the CGI, in the screenshots from Azzur's posts it looks lazy as gently caress, especially on the orc baby and Garona. Like, the male orcs are decently done? But holy poo poo those two are just "we put some fangs on a human and then we used the fill tool to colour them green."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Movie is it’s own canon, since it makes some behind the scenes changes that are irreconcilable with WoW.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

So wait, the Warcraft movie is canon?

Also I don't know about the CGI, in the screenshots from Azzur's posts it looks lazy as gently caress, especially on the orc baby and Garona. Like, the male orcs are decently done? But holy poo poo those two are just "we put some fangs on a human and then we used the fill tool to colour them green."

To be perfectly honest, that's not exactly all that different from female orcs in WoW.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

To be perfectly honest, that's not exactly all that different from female orcs in WoW.

One of the female orcs was decently done, I thought. Garona looks really bad, though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I have no idea what they thought when they halfassed their way through Garona's makeup for the movie. It kinda reeks of a LARPers attempt at an orc outfit. I mean she's supposed to be a half-orc but its still incredibly lazy.
Especially considering they apparently went the extra mile with motion capture rigs for the proper orc characters.
I guess they wanted the actress to be recognizable or something. v:v:v

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In more amusing news from WoW, those who played Warcraft 3 were likely disappointed when WoW gave night elf soldiers actual armor and clothes instead of bikinis. BFA is reverting this change, but still taking into account that there are now men in the night elf army...

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Yessssssssssssssssssss.

If that armor is available to wear, I would be racing to get that on every character possible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

In more amusing news from WoW, those who played Warcraft 3 were likely disappointed when WoW gave night elf soldiers actual armor and clothes instead of bikinis. BFA is reverting this change, but still taking into account that there are now men in the night elf army...

p e l v i c
g y r a t i o n s

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
That's a lot of gunpowder for the first war.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Azzur posted:

Yessssssssssssssssssss.

If that armor is available to wear, I would be racing to get that on every character possible.

NPC only so far I believe.
But it's spectacular regardless. :allears:

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Klaus88 posted:

That's a lot of gunpowder for the first war.

Boy, I can't wait to unpack this with Human Science Theater 3000!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Cythereal posted:

Finally, skimpy loincloth armor for men! This is it! This is the gender equal paradise of the 21st Century!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But it's not showing off his muscular buttocks enough. :v:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Cythereal posted:

It's strategy. Who's gonna try to fight somebody that looks that fuckable? No one.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

It's strategy. Who's gonna try to fight somebody that looks that fuckable? No one.

that's why they invented greco-roman wrestling

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Watched Deadpool 2 a couple of hours ago; it was a bit distracting having a character named Russell "Ruku" Firefist in it, front and centre.

Who was an overweight, short pyromaniac.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

THE BAR posted:

Watched Deadpool 2 a couple of hours ago; it was a bit distracting having a character named Russell "Ruku" Firefist in it, front and centre.

Who was an overweight, short pyromaniac.

Marvel, I expect my royalty check in the mail. Please make it payable to "Azzur, Dream-maker and Lie-forger."

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Azzur posted:

Marvel, I expect my royalty check in the mail. Please make it payable to "Azzur, Dream-maker and Lie-forger."

I thought you were the orcish word-smith.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Patience and Pixels: A How-To
With a side of "Defeat"

Where does the time go? An actual thing I have said after I throw several hours on a Saturday morning out the window while staring at little green men and trying to make them look like OTHER little green men. You may have noticed an uptick in the number of little additions to the screenshots that I've made. For the most part, I avoid doing this because...

1) It's dumb inserts that really aren't necessary (mostly).
2) ...and yo, this poo poo takes awhile. Especially Episode 11. That one was a huge pain, but was super necessary. Maybe.

Since it was brought up in the thread, how do I do this marvelous act? Well... it's actually really simple. I just have a lot of patience. Well, let's get this tour going!

So to begin, I get the original screenshot tossed over into Photoshop.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Photoshop, I just create a new layer to draw over. (If you do know Photoshop, this update is going to be pretty meaningless for you.)

This layer becomes the cloak for Vilefeast, which I then draw in with a mouse. Yup, again, no stylus this time around, which would make this job amazingly less laborious.

Then I create two more layers, one beneath (for his skin) and one above (for his pauldron and spikes). Again, just some quick drawing and alternating the lightness and darkness to create the somewhat "pixel-y" look. As you can tell, it's not perfect, but speed is what matters here.

Finally, I merge the layers and select the colored additions. I then grow the selection a few pixels before creating another layer under the new drawing.

On that new layer beneath, I color in the selected area black so that the addition pops out a bit more. I could be more anal about this and use dark shades of red or green, but again... time is a factor. Each update takes very long to write and edit as it is.

Finally, I toss in Vilefeast's portrait on a new layer and we're good to go!

Now since that's a rather sparse little look behind the scenes, I thought I'd show off some more stuff that we won't be seeing in the regular playthrough. Of note: Defeat. Y'see, I'm not going to show you missions that I fail because this thread would be massive. Seriously, for every update you see, there's about three or four failed missions that went into every one. And I'm actually decent at this game! That said, here's what you get to see when you lose, a still image of you having had your rear end kicked.

Orc Defeat

Yeah, that's right, screw you zeppelin! We got an orc's head mounted on a pike. You lost to some noble and chivalrous dudes. I've named them Terry and Charles and I like to think that they're in a committed relationship with each other. I only assume since the banners are white and purple is that these guys are from Lorderon and Dalaran, a long distance relationship that has been brought closer by the war. However, I look at this image and I don't really feel like I lost, y'know? I need something that screams, you hosed up! You hosed up bad! So on with...

Human Defeat

So if you lose as the humans, you are treated to everything burning down around you while and orc hacks a dude up on the tops of some ramparts. Jeez! This orc isn't going to survive, what is he even doing up there?! Wait a minute... that arm looks familiar. And that flag. Oh, no. OH, NO. TERRY?! WHERE IS CHARLES?! WHAT HAPPENED?! No, no, no!

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
You just know both Terry and Charles were just two days from retirement.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That Orc too. And he’s probably been drinking too much.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Good on that orc for avenging his decapitation in the orc loss screen at least.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Would it be less work for you to create a sprite sheet of vilefeast and the boys and then just overlay the sprites on top of each other?

Maybe not at this stage of the LP, though.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the replace color tool is pretty useful in cases where you're, well, replacing a color. might save you some time from redrawing stuff by hand.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Yeah, I figured that was how he was doing it all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Prav posted:

the replace color tool is pretty useful in cases where you're, well, replacing a color. might save you some time from redrawing stuff by hand.

Oof, that's much easier and cleaner, thanks! This is what I get for getting a Fine Arts degree with only one course in digital illustration.