Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Might Hyena or Mighty Anna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bleck posted:

I didn't, but I'm also probably not the only poster in this thread that got bored with that game because it was actually just too easy. And I don't mean, "I'm an adult that understands how this battle system works and as such I have good strategies that make the game too simple", but rather "I just kept hitting the A button until the credits rolled and was never even close to losing at any point". The problem is that the current system has very little, if any, middle ground between "arbitrarily waste a lot of time until my numbers are high enough" and "my numbers have never not been high enough and I barely have to be awake to play".

I'm going to pick on this statement in particular here. You talk about being "required" to grind a certain amount in RPGs, which, isn't even a thing in a well-designed RPG. The encounter design and level curve are set up in such a way that if you just fight enemies that jump you while you make your way around the world, you will be at an appropriate level for your next major encounter as long as you employ a liiiiitttle bit of ya know, strategy. I can't remember the last time I had to actively grind in an RPG. That aside, in the same breath you complain about Pokemon being too easy. Which is it bro? Are you "required" to grind to progress, or are the game so easy that you steamroll everything? You are aware that the EXP share can be turned off, yes? Heck, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are actually balanced around you having it on, such that you can be 5 or so levels higher than your opponent but you're not one-shotting them even with super effective moves. A bunch of fights require some thought and strategy.

I'm not saying Pokemon couldn't use some restructuring and balancing and removing the pointless chaff (removing HMs in Sun and Moon helped a ton!) but your arguments are kinda... weird.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Any RPG sucks if you divide your time between grinding and facerolling. Just turn off the exp share and keep it off until trainers are tough enough for ya. I don't think there's any point in any of the games where you can't overcome a large level differential with enough strategy and/or cheese.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ultra sun with xp share on and liberal use of repels I’m pretty much within level of whatever I’m fighting. And the totems + boss type characters require some though so they seem better about challenge in general with it.

For my ideal hardmode they’d really just need to give other random trainers 1-2 extra monsters (and somehow not break the xp curve with this).

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Non Hard mode things to do if you want some sort of extra challenge:

- Turn off EXP Share
- Switch the battling style in the Options so that you're not prompted to switch when you KO a Pokemon

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm going to pick on this statement in particular here. You talk about being "required" to grind a certain amount in RPGs, which, isn't even a thing in a well-designed RPG. The encounter design and level curve are set up in such a way that if you just fight enemies that jump you while you make your way around the world, you will be at an appropriate level for your next major encounter as long as you employ a liiiiitttle bit of ya know, strategy. I can't remember the last time I had to actively grind in an RPG. That aside, in the same breath you complain about Pokemon being too easy. Which is it bro? Are you "required" to grind to progress, or are the game so easy that you steamroll everything? You are aware that the EXP share can be turned off, yes? Heck, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are actually balanced around you having it on, such that you can be 5 or so levels higher than your opponent but you're not one-shotting them even with super effective moves. A bunch of fights require some thought and strategy.

I'm not saying Pokemon couldn't use some restructuring and balancing and removing the pointless chaff (removing HMs in Sun and Moon helped a ton!) but your arguments are kinda... weird.

Totally agreed here. I just recently (finallY) played through Ultra Sun and I didn't do hardly a single "unnecessary" battle (barely used Repels but didn't run from any wild Pokemon, also kinda/sorta went out of my way to avoid trainers if I could) and the level curve was such that the Totem Pokemon were lowkey kind of a challenge

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffles Inc. posted:

Non Hard mode things to do if you want some sort of extra challenge:

- Turn off EXP Share
- Switch the battling style in the Options so that you're not prompted to switch when you KO a Pokemon

No EXP Share and Set are good ones, but honestly, a lot of fun in Pokemon come from just how much control you have over the whole thing. It's like the series itself, especially nowadays, is built for challenge runs. You just have so many options, so many possibilities, that add a ridiculous amount of replayability and skill-based challenges that you can safely skip how easy the games are if you aren't literally a child.

Nuzlockes, monotype runs, single-Pokemon runs, no items, no Pokemon Centers or Marts, all of the above, you can customize your own experience to a ridiculous extent. On the monotype front Gamefreak could improve though, since there's always types that suffer simply because they come way too late (why is Ice always such a late-game type, it's the single worst type in the game, what the gently caress?)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Blaze Dragon posted:

No EXP Share and Set are good ones, but honestly, a lot of fun in Pokemon come from just how much control you have over the whole thing. It's like the series itself, especially nowadays, is built for challenge runs. You just have so many options, so many possibilities, that add a ridiculous amount of replayability and skill-based challenges that you can safely skip how easy the games are if you aren't literally a child.

Nuzlockes, monotype runs, single-Pokemon runs, no items, no Pokemon Centers or Marts, all of the above, you can customize your own experience to a ridiculous extent. On the monotype front Gamefreak could improve though, since there's always types that suffer simply because they come way too late (why is Ice always such a late-game type, it's the single worst type in the game, what the gently caress?)

Gen V with its season mechanic had the perfect opportunity to stick a couple ice types in the encounter tables for early game routes and make em more common in the winter, but noooo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

absolutely anything posted:

you seem like a dweeb who could be easily pushed over

Being a dweeb is epic you dumb fucker. Bitch.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my friends.... please don't fight here ....

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

oddium posted:

my friends.... please don't fight here ....

I'm sorry but you don't have enough badges for them to obey you.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pakled posted:

Gen V with its season mechanic had the perfect opportunity to stick a couple ice types in the encounter tables for early game routes and make em more common in the winter, but noooo.

Gen VI would’ve been the perfect time for Ice to get a new resistance (since Fairy was just added to balance things out) but gamefreak still thinks Ice is OP.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So speaking of balance, I'm early on in Ultra Sun and I'm unsure if I should use the EXP share this time. I didn't use it in Moon and had a surprisingly hard time, since it seems like they actually took it into account, unlike with XY. I enjoyed the extra challenge, but dd the make Ultra significantly harder or anything?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yeah USUM is harder than SM, so just keep the Exp. Share on if you had trouble with SM.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I want all non-antagonist trainer battles to be optional (having to fight a bunch of kids when you're in the middle of an in-story crisis situation is asinine, or when you run into that one trainer you somehow missed and all you've got on you is your level 5 egg heater and 5 eggs, somehow) and once-a-day repeatable cause at a certain point you often do need to grind at wild mons cause you've fought everyone already. Just make sure kids are told that if you avoid battles as much as possible, your team isn't gonna grow for poo poo and you'll never be able to progress.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All antagonist trainer battles should dynamically trigger only when your team is almost dead.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Honestly all battles should be double battles and Gamefreak should look at the competitive meta and go from there

Doubles are way, way better than singles

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
And all battles should be Inverse Battles.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The battle system is fine.
Doubles are still a gimmick

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Countblanc posted:

Being a dweeb is epic you dumb fucker. Bitch.

youre next in line to be pushed over

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Idea for Mega Regigigas!

Mega evolution does nothing to his stats whatsoever! But it does change his ability from Slow Start to Pure Power

Also a tiny imperial crown hovers over his head :3:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

youre next in line to be pushed over

Push over the dweebs that want Pokemon to be a completely different game.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once you start losing a battle you should be able to physically attack the other trainer.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I want to cross over to the mirror universe in which the Inverse Battle type chart is the regular type chart.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

qnqnx posted:

The battle system is fine.
Doubles are still a gimmick

Nahhhh

If Double Battles were the "default" there could be some possible reason to have non-damaging moves on your story mode friends, even if it's just Helping Hand or something like that

That's probably my only gripe with the series is that even at equal level with opposing trainers there's no reason to carry any other moves apart from the strongest STAB move and a coverage move

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

make doubles default already drat it

and bring back rotation battles

also bring back Fat Pikachu, he can be the Alola one who ate too many pancakes

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Mega Dunsparse but instead of getting bigger wings and a fairy type he's just larger and rounder.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

McDragon posted:

make doubles default already drat it
NO

McDragon posted:

and bring back rotation battles
NOOOOOO

McDragon posted:

also bring back Fat Pikachu, he can be the Alola one who ate too many pancakes
:hai:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Make another Orre game imo.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1004514234149924865

Key word: Bridesmaid, not bride

Machamp all the way, so he can carry the rings, throw petals, and guide the bride to the altar

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ludicolo, who would compliment my Best Man, also Ludicolo.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Combine doubles and rotation battles into the pokemon-equivalent of the battle system from Jade Cocoon 2. :getin:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Double-Rotation-Inverse Battles

Make it happen

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I just really liked that big old gear that span around in rotations

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

More like bring back triples!

I had so much fun cheesing the Battle Maison with Protean Greninja, Garchomp, and a lvl 1 Aron.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The gimmick battles I’m most resentful towards is sky battles, for being the direct cause of so many pokemon looking so lovely and lifeless in battle.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ROFL Octopus posted:

The gimmick battles I’m most resentful towards is sky battles, for being the direct cause of so many pokemon looking so lovely and lifeless in battle.

To this day I don't get what they were thinking with Sky Battles. Doubles, Triples and Rotations heavily change the game and how it is played, adding variety to it. Inverse Battles force you out of your zone of comfort, change your 20-years and on mentality completely, they're a challenge to the experts.

Sky Battles...limit the amount of Pokemon you can use. That's it. They're more limited battles.

In a game that lets you choose what you use to this level, limiting that is bad and only invites boredom.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Everything being a doubles battle might need some tweaks to how other parts of the game are implemented.

Take, say, the route where you fight Gladion for the first time, which is also where you fight doubles battlers for the first time. There's a bit that goes doubles battle --> Gladion --> double battle and if you aren't paying attention and healing your party after each of those encounters, you get wrecked (in my case, back in Moon after fighting Gladion I raced towards the Pokémon Centre without healing, ran into the double battle just outside it and it nearly wiped me). It's probably to reinforce the idea that Gladion is the "serious" rival who doesn't do niceties like give you time to prepare or heal your guys afterwards, but still, it got me thinking about doubles battles. Twice as many mons on the frontline is twice the wear and tear from general battling, even if it's just chip damage. In competitive doubles (and singles, of course) battling you get a free heal after every battle and... well, I sort of wonder if you made everything into a doubles battle, then free heals after every battle might be the thing needed to even that out. Like those sections where you have a partner and everything becomes a doubles battle, but they give you free heals.

Obivously that would lead to some huge changes (the main role of the Pokémon Centre is lost, healing items only needed for in-battle stuff), but it has the additional effect of allowing you to make battles generally tougher in addition to being doubles battles, because of the free heal afterwards. Granted, once you have access to Isle Aplenny and effectively infinite Sitrus Berries healing is basically free anyway, but it would save on a certain amount of cognitive overhead. Thoughts?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Sky Battles always felt like the end result of the worst game of telephone ever, starting as "Hey, why can you use every pokemon while surfing"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Paul.Power posted:

Obivously that would lead to some huge changes (the main role of the Pokémon Centre is lost, healing items only needed for in-battle stuff), but it has the additional effect of allowing you to make battles generally tougher in addition to being doubles battles, because of the free heal afterwards. Granted, once you have access to Isle Aplenny and effectively infinite Sitrus Berries healing is basically free anyway, but it would save on a certain amount of cognitive overhead. Thoughts?

I agree with your judgement here but I also do not want that, because it reminds me of terrible games like MegaMan Battle Network 1 and Final Fantasy XIII, where instead of making stuff a proper challenge, it just made random battles even more tiring and annoying and added to a sense of lack of polish overall. You usually want random battles to go fast, since they happen so much, keep the challenges to the bosses and the like, at least that's my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Funky Valentine posted:

Ludicolo, who would compliment my Best Man, also Ludicolo.

I assume you would also be playing Miror B's music from Pokemon Colosseum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHHFc-gIeI