Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

mastershakeman posted:

Lol no you wouldn't . I've seen judges take over a year to do unimportant written decisions on simple issues

You make a compelling case. Perhaps the bigger problem is I’d have to stop being a deliberate rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

You make a compelling case. Perhaps the bigger problem is I’d have to stop being a deliberate rear end in a top hat.

Nope. A judge in Cook county would ask in English if anyone needed a translator, and when they said yes, laugh at them and say obviously not

Maybe this is all just Cook county poo poo where judges would show up with obvious buzzes after lunch and audio recording was banned

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

Once again, false.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Ok. Doing it. Just did a pretty high visibility case. Strike while iron is hot!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol all these high profile cases are so ripe for “interventions” and “amicus curiae” bullshit by crazy people

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1004726570198630400?s=21

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I used to love crazy amicus. Probably what I miss most about appeals.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

Instead you can be a deliberative rear end in a top hat

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

It *would* make a significant portion of the habeas bar collectively poo poo themselves...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

It *would* make a significant portion of the habeas bar collectively poo poo themselves...

Just replace "dentist" with "jurist" in the little shop of horrors song and you're good to go

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I *do* love musical theater. Speaking of... file under “ways you can enjoy free time when on the state employment gravy train”... my amateur Gilbert and Sullivan hobby has lead to a paid acting gig.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

Your bench must be different.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

I *do* love musical theater. Speaking of... file under “ways you can enjoy free time when on the state employment gravy train”... my amateur Gilbert and Sullivan hobby has lead to a paid acting gig.

Wait till someone leaks that World of Warcraft Video you did.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Wait till someone leaks that World of Warcraft Video you did.

A. It was drunk commentary on Dragon Age.
B. I know someone who still belongs to a WoW raiding guild. It’s like 2002 never ended.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The Honorable Eldereiiennne Leafheart, Elven Princess of the Deodeneine'' presiding.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

blarzgh posted:

The Honorable Eldereiiennne Leafheart, Elven Princess of the Deodeneine'' presiding.

I think the gamer nerd community is grossly underrepresented in the judiciary. I will remedy this by employing a boffer gavel.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

blarzgh posted:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

gently caress I'd have voted for her.

AR - can you give me an example of when a habeas petition is warranted? Not a real case just a hypo. All I know about habeas is it's really hard to get and really easy to gently caress up.

Although I have a reported case where I mandamused a habeas, but that was family law....

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

ActusRhesus posted:

A. It was drunk commentary on Dragon Age.
B. I know someone who still belongs to a WoW raiding guild. It’s like 2002 never ended.

UMMM ACTUALLY WOW CAME OUT IN 2004

:goonsay:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

gently caress I'd have voted for her.

AR - can you give me an example of when a habeas petition is warranted? Not a real case just a hypo. All I know about habeas is it's really hard to get and really easy to gently caress up.

Although I have a reported case where I mandamused a habeas, but that was family law....

Some things I’ve seen:
Ineffective assistance. Lawyer failed to file appellate papers. When I see this I usually call habeas counsel and tell them to file a motion for late appeal. State does not object. I’ve also had cases where right after Padilla came out defendant was not advised of potential for deportation. I’ve also seen a due process violation case Bc the prosecutor (who was subsequently shamed into retirement) failed to disclose the fact a key witness got a deal for testimony. And failed to correct testimony claiming he wasn’t getting a deal. Said prosecutor recently tried to testify in one of my jury trials as an expert. Best. Porter. Hearing. Ever.

There’s also a lot of “incorrect calculation of jail credit” claims. But we usually concede those if they have merit. Math is math.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Most are bullshit ineffective assistance claims. Then they claim habeas counsel was ineffective. Then they claim second habeas counsel was ineffective.

I once referred to it on the record as “Matryoshka dolls of frivolity”. It’s effectively a welfare system for a few law firms that can’t hack it in any other practice. My greatest regret is agreeing to take on our habeas case load. But they’re finally putting me back on jury work. And it was a ton of courtroom play time/poo poo you just can’t make up.

Example: ineffective assistance of counsel for failing to ensure proper courtroom decorum. For not preventing the petitioner from trying to urinate in a water pitcher under counsel table. They brought this claim with a straight face.

This article covers it well.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-habeas-reform-effort-20180502-story,amp.html

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 13, 2021

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

You get me.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Most are bullshit ineffective assistance claims. Then they claim habeas counsel was ineffective. Then they claim second habeas counsel was ineffective.

I once referred to it on the record as “Matryoshka dolls of frivolity”. It’s effectively a welfare system for a few law firms that can’t hack it in any other practice. My greatest regret is agreeing to take on our habeas case load. But they’re finally putting me back on jury work. And it was a ton of courtroom play time/poo poo you just can’t make up.

Example: ineffective assistance of counsel for failing to ensure proper courtroom decorum. For not preventing the petitioner from trying to urinate in a water pitcher under counsel table. They brought this claim with a straight face.

This article covers it well.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-habeas-reform-effort-20180502-story,amp.html

I thought habeus matters were usually farmed out to clerks & scrubs. Huh.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Not in CT. We give them trials. Because we are idiots. Which creates an interesting power disparity. We are so worried the appellate court will do something dumb that we put solid prosecutors in habeas. But it’s a file churning scheme so most petitioner’s counsel have been out of law school five minutes, and are idiots who have never tried a felony case. Hell. A motor vehicle case. I almost feel badly about loving with them. Then I remember how much their firm is billing the state and say fire away.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 7, 2018

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I drove 60 miles to country court for an 8:30 trial where the state moved to continue, now I'm waiting around in a McDonald's until 1:00 for a preliminary hearing where the guy bailed out last night. Real nice use of time.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I am trying to respond to an argument that a kidnapping conviction is unconstitutional because putting someone into the trunk of a car at gunpoint, driving them to a second car, putting them in that trunk at gunpoint, driving them to an isolated building, marching them across a lawn, and carrying them up a flight of stairs is “merely incidental” to raping them.

My first draft was “hahahahahahahahahahahaha.”

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

I am trying to respond to an argument that a kidnapping conviction is unconstitutional because putting someone into the trunk of a car at gunpoint, driving them to a second car, putting them in that trunk at gunpoint, driving them to an isolated building, marching them across a lawn, and carrying them up a flight of stairs is “merely incidental” to raping them.

My first draft was “hahahahahahahahahahahaha.”

Sounds like an 80s romantic comedy.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Double jeopardy means you can’t do two or more crimes at the same time.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

ActusRhesus posted:

The law's the true embodiment
Of everything that's excellent
It has no kind of fault or flaw
And I, my Lords, embody the law.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I had a call today where it seemed like my client had a contest about who could do the most legally damaging thing. It’s a multi-way tie for first.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Alaemon posted:

The law's the true embodiment
Of everything that's excellent
It has no kind of fault or flaw
And I, my Lords, embody the law.

Heh. I was in that show. I’m now testifying as an expert witness for the guy who played the lord chancellor. Last G&S I did had 6 lawyers in the cast.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

Heh. I was in that show. I’m now testifying as an expert witness for the guy who played the lord chancellor. Last G&S I did had 6 lawyers in the cast.

From all this I almost assume you're a GULC grad and spent your time in GGSS.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Kalman posted:

From all this I almost assume you're a GULC grad and spent your time in GGSS.

Nah. But two of the guys in my Gondoliers cast were. I’m barely tier one state school all the way!

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

ActusRhesus posted:

Pirates, Mikado, and Iolanthe are my big three faves. Exceedingly safe choices, I know.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Kalman will now call you a racist.

Pirates will always be my fave. A. Because pirates. B. Because it’s amazing. C. Because it’s the first one I ever performed in, and C. I got a best choreography nomination last time I directed it. My kicklines were on point.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Pirates was my first, but admittedly the Joseph Papp production with Kevin Kline (who I still quite like as Pirate King). The thing the Papp does especially well that I love is the humor behind "With Cat-Like Tread." The Pirates doing this super-fortissimo song about being stealthy is always funny to me, and the movie goes full-bore with that aspect.

I play a bard in a friend's D&D campaign and I randomly blurted out a verse of Modern-Major General mid-session (because something made me think "I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's..." was germane). It was one of those awkward moments where I thought "I'm sitting here playing D&D and I still might be too nerdy for this crowd."

Without delving into the debate surrounding Mikado, I think it's one of their best works. Both G and S are at the top of their respective games. Give me a good performance of "The Sun Whose Rays" and I am doing fine. It's one of those pieces like (non-G&S) "Un bel di" or the Flower Duet from Lakme that put me in (the closest thing my dark, shriveled heart has to) my happy place.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I imagine there are more than a few partners out there who made it by marrying another partner’s elderly, ugly daughter.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

disjoe posted:

I imagine there are more than a few partners out there who made it by marrying another partner’s elderly, ugly daughter.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I watched liar liar today and its representation of the legal profession prior to the birthday wish is startlingly accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I will never not laugh at the wife's face.