Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SlothfulCobra posted:

So what would've happened if Al Andalus had voted the other way, leaving the vote split at an even 6/6?

Hashim said that in the event of a tie, the option with the most supporters among the major powers (Morocco, Russia, and Hanover) wins. So B would have prevailed, since Hanover and Morocco supported it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Jumping on the gently caress Morocco bandwagon A

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Voting A, but only because this is the only way to reward Greece for punching way above their weight for that entire war.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Yeah, a quick count puts A above 40, so I'm gonna close this vote and write up the next one up quick. Looks like we can get two votes in within a day.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Technowolf posted:

Voting A, but only because this is the only way to reward Greece for punching way above their weight for that entire war.
Also a good reason.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Congress of Cádiz

Part 4: The Fate of the Levant

It doesn’t take very long for the Majlis to pick a side in the Balkan Crisis, voting overwhelming in favour of partitioning the Serbian Republic.

As the main proponent of the partition, Russia takes a leading role this round, using its hard-won influence to coerce several other congress powers into backing its plan. Both Bavaria and Hungary are only too happy to pledge their support, however, hoping that a divided Balkans would make it easier for them to become great powers in their own right.

The main opposition to this plan, predictably, comes in the form of Morocco. Campaigning on the platform of peace in the Balkans, Morocco loudly criticises the Russians for their transparent attempt to destabilise the peninsula, and proclaim themselves the protectors of Serbia.

And in a surprising twist, the Dual Monarchy of France-England backs the Berbers, despite the fact that the Russians had supported them in the previous round of voting. Hannover also announces its support of a large, powerful Serbia, hoping to draw Russian attention away from Germany.

And with that, the final vote tally is at six for option A (Russia, Al Andalus, Bavaria, Hungary, Armenia) and six for option B (Morocco, Hannover, France, Egypt). In the event of a tie, the stalemate is decided in favour of the side with the most great powers, so the Congress announces that an enlarged Kingdom of Serbia will dominate the Balkans, with its conquests intact.

The representatives of Hungary immediately begin protesting, citing the promises that the Moroccan Sultan made to them at the height of the Tirruni Wars, but it isn’t long before they’re drowned out in favour of moving to the next item on the agenda: the fate of the Levant.

For the past 400 years, the Levant has been the cause of countless wars between Armenia and Egypt, with Syria and Palestine becoming the battleground of a dozen wars between 1444 and 1836. Now, it is time to finally settle this hotly-contested issue, and bring peace to the Eastern Mediterranean.

The first option is also the simplest: that the Levant be divided in two, with Armenia gaining control over Syria, and Egypt over Palestine. This will simply be a restoration of the status quo, however, all but guaranteeing more war and conflict between the two powers in the future.

The second and third options are more one-sided, with either the Armenians or the Egyptians gaining complete control over the Levant, respectively. Morocco hopes to strengthen Muslim Armenia, creating a bulwark against the Russian Empire, whilst the Russians hope to do the same by strengthening Crusader Egypt.

The fourth and last option is more novel: that two new states be set up as buffers between Armenia and Egypt. A Muslim-dominated Emirate of Syria in the north, and a Christian-ruled Kingdom of Outremer in the south. This option is opposed by both the Armenians and Egyptians, for obvious reasons, but will do much to alleviate tensions in the region.

So the Majlis al-Shura convenes again to decide their stance in the matter:

Option A - Restore the status quo.

Effects: Armenia gains control over Syria, Egypt gains control over Palestine.
We get a small relations hit with Armenia and Egypt.

Option B - The Levant is Armenian!

Effects: Armenia gains control over the entirety of the Levant.
We get a relations boost with Armenia and Morocco.
We get a relations hit with Egypt and Russia.

Option C - The Levant is Egyptian!

Effects: Egypt gains control over the entirety of the Levant.
We get a relations boost with Egypt and Russia.
We get a relations hit with Armenia and Morocco.

Option D - Set up neutral buffer states.

Effects: Two new states are set up, the Muslim-dominated Emirate of Syria in the north, and the Christian-ruled Kingdom of Outremer in the south.
We get a relations boost with Syria and Outremer.
We get a relations hit with Egypt and Armenia, and a smaller hit with Morocco and Russia.

Option E - Abstain from the vote.

Effects: We remain neutral in this matter, so it will be decided by the other powers. Our relations with other nations are unchanged.

———

Reminder that we (Al Andalus) will have 1 vote in this matter, alongside France, Bavaria, Hungary, Armenia, and Egypt. The great powers of Morocco, Russia and Hannover will have 2 votes apiece. So keep in mind that even if our chosen option doesn’t win overall, the relations boost/hits will still take effect, and the other powers will remember how we voted.

Also, in the event of a stalemate, the tie is decided in favour of the side with more great powers.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lmao

D

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

C

gently caress Morocco

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
B!

We must weaken the infidels in Egypt :colbert:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
D

A two-state solution!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Sorry Greece.:(

D

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
D.

We probably have close to 200 relations with Russia by now, a small hit won't hurt much given that we can recoup it later.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
C

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

C

Crusader Egypt was against Morocco, and helped us out by fighting being a puching bag for a while. Feels right we should repay them a bit. (Also, the Almoravids hate it, so of course we have to make this decision)

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
C, Egypt helped us against Morocco, we should return the favor.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

C. edit: gently caress Morocco.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
This is kind of a tough one, to be honest. Restoring the status quo gains us nothing, so I wouldn't advise that. Strengthening Armenia also doesn't net us much, unless we wanted to slightly improve relations with Morocco or gain a friend on the wrong side of the Mediterranean. So we're left with either setting up some buffer states or handing the Levant to Egypt. Doing the latter is likely to pull its attention north, towards protecting and expanding its newly awarded territories when we'd much rather have its attention on the west and our mutual enemy Morocco. But creating buffer states in the Levant, when we already came out against that sort of thing in Occitania, looks bad (and we might have concerns over Morocco trying to do the same in Catalan). As much as I don't like voting on every single issue in a way designed to piss off Morocco exclusively, I have to vote C and hand the Levant to Egypt.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Patter Song posted:

D.

We probably have close to 200 relations with Russia by now, a small hit won't hurt much given that we can recoup it later.

We're at +150 at the moment.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

C

Let's lock in that Russia love and help out a former buddy

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
D.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

C

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I C a way to make Egypt stronger, but honestly we're going to vote for every option that pisses off Morocco.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

D this will not backfire in any way

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
C and D are both good choices but the fact that Egypt is also a natural enemy of Morocco means that Egypt could also be a good ally for us, as well as better relations with Russia, so C

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
C

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
C because يمارس الجنس مع المغرب

Also, do not type gently caress Morocco into google.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
E I don't care. :shrug:

edipil
May 12, 2017

C

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
We should continue to reward states that helped us fight the Moroccan menace. In this case Egypt.

C

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
D is a very funny opportunity for Goon Peace in the Middle East.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
C

Egypt controlled the area far longer than anyone else. They deserve it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A

We cannot strengthen the infidels, but neither can we really afford to anger them either.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Why're people picking the option that only gets us in the good graces of some potential insignificant buffer states? Let's just suck up to Russia some more, and go for C.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Why're people picking the option that only gets us in the good graces of some potential insignificant buffer states? Let's just suck up to Russia some more, and go for C.

C

Otherwise we might as well abstain.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I’m not interested in empowering the Christians in the Middle East, but I have to vote C.

We need to screw over Morocco and buddy up with Russia to further our interests in Iberia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

France's out of nowhere opposition to Andalusian interests really foreshadows how that future alliance is going to go.

D is probably the most sensible option for the people of the levant and the world order at large; self-rule and more little states for great powers to exert influence over. Also for big fans of two-state solutions. But interests in self-rule have no place here, the only order of the day is peace for now and imperial ambitions for later. C is the obvious gently caress Morocco option, and it's probably what would've happened if Egypt could've finally fought it out with the Vakhtani Caliphate without Morocco always getting in the way. It's also the only way for north Africa to escape from Moroccan hegemony (although I am interested in the fate of Libya).

Then I guess B is for fans of the Sunni Caliph, although with how Russia's stepping into the area and has already seized Constantinople, they've really been on the downslope. I'm not sure if it's the only thing that'll save them from future imperialism or just speed them to their future demise. They're already having to deal with a lot of rebellious cultures.

And A is fair. Fair is fair. Fair? Fair. Might as well vote E.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
C

We must contain Morocco with strong hostile neighbors. An enlarged Egypt will be able to draw and fend off a larger amount of Morocco's army when the time comes.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
D is the option that will best facilitate easy pilgrimages for those on the Hajj or Umrah

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
C, for obvious gently caress Morocco reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
C The Berbers are not our friends and the Egyptians have been our friends.