Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

marktheando posted:

But yes Bethesda probably don’t help an actors performance with their silly secrecy- they give the actors so little information they don’t even know they are in a Fallout game (see Kellogg in Fallout 4).

That documentary said they do this for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Lol I remember seeing those at the time and thinking "ha! Voiced player character? Intro narrated by male player character thus establishing him as canon, instead of Ron Perlman?! Obviously a hoax"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol I just realized if you play as Nate instead of Nora the game literally begins with your wife being fridged.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arcsquad12 posted:

One thing I wish more voiced protagonist games would take from Obsidian and Alpha Protocol is the timed response mechanic. You have to make a decision during dialogue which option to take before the timer runs out. This has a dual purpose of making you react with split second decision making, while also allowing the dialogue to flow like a natural conversation because you don't have enormous pauses while you mull over your speech options.

Isn't that just turning all dialog into a QTE? I mean, everyone loves those.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

my favorite fallout 4 moment was when i saw the guy in diamond city pointing a gun at his brother accusing him of being a synth. being super charismatic, i used pacify to calm him down and defuse the situation and then the entire town shot me to death lmao.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
The only way to deal with synth lovers.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Rincewinds posted:

The only way to deal with synth lovers.

it was less about helping synths and more seeing if i could use charisma for anything other than demanding more caps. turns out not really :smith:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I forget, does the brother have a component on him?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

FronzelNeekburm posted:

That documentary said they do this for a reason.

Well yeah, but it’s silly they care that much about leaks. It’s a game, not the Manhattan project. Where’s the harm in the public knowing what game they are working on?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Keeshhound posted:

I forget, does the brother have a component on him?

no http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Kyle_(Fallout_4) and http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Riley

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

marktheando posted:

Well yeah, but it’s silly they care that much about leaks. It’s a game, not the Manhattan project. Where’s the harm in the public knowing what game they are working on?

Disturbs their carefully constructed marketing strategies.

The secrecy has some "fun" consequences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaOSPUtjidY

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fallout 76: But All The Dialogue Inflection and Animation Is On Par With Sonic Adventure

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Poniard posted:

Lol if you keep fallout 4's cinematic camera turned on. Walking away from NPCs mid conversation is pretty good.

just lol if you don't min/max by walking away and save scumming quest turn-ins/dialogue XP prompts while running Idiot Savant

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

More often than not, the four dialogue options would be slightly different and all voiced in different intonations while saying the same thing. I don't believe that the voiced dialogue is necessarily to blame for the railroady conversation, or at least, I don't think it's the biggest culprit.

If they weren't ready to do a good job with PC voice acting then they shouldn't have done it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

counterfeitsaint posted:

Isn't that just turning all dialog into a QTE? I mean, everyone loves those.

Not really, it's not like you can fail a dialogue choice and have to restart thr whole sequence like you do with bad QTEs

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I think Alpha Protocol has my favorite dialogue system of any game, but I also think the timed responses make much more sense in the context of playing a spy/secret agent. I wouldn't want the same mechanic when I'm talking to Joe Peasant as Geralt.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

If there's no failure or bad option then there's no point to the timer. Most of the dialogue in Fallout is just information gathering; usually your character just asking questions about what the hell is going on. I really don't see adding a timer being anything more than an annoyance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

popewiles posted:

I think Alpha Protocol has my favorite dialogue system of any game, but I also think the timed responses make much more sense in the context of playing a spy/secret agent. I wouldn't want the same mechanic when I'm talking to Joe Peasant as Geralt.

W3 does have some timed responses during tense moments.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Improbable Lobster posted:

Not really, it's not like you can fail a dialogue choice and have to restart thr whole sequence like you do with bad QTEs

See, that's true in Alpha Protocol, sure (even then, people bitched about it.) But this is Bethesda we're talking about. I guarantee they'd make it possible to gently caress up.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Rinkles posted:

That's true, I guess I just meant I would probably be annoyed if I had to deal with timed responses in every low-stakes conversation in a Fallout game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

popewiles posted:

That's true, I guess I just meant I would probably be annoyed if I had to deal with timed responses in every low-stakes conversation in a Fallout game.

Same.

I don't love them in general, but used sparingly they can add tension at appropriate times.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pity there's no "Stay silent" option and just play the game as a mute lunatic with a gun

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

ASenileAnimal posted:

my favorite fallout 4 moment was when i saw the guy in diamond city pointing a gun at his brother accusing him of being a synth. being super charismatic, i used pacify to calm him down and defuse the situation and then the entire town shot me to death lmao.

And yet everyone in town is perfectly fine with you shooting him instead, the guards even praise you for it

Rinkles posted:

As nonsense as the plan turned out to be I'll admit that "PUT BABY IN OVEN?" made me panic like hell the first time through and it was a fantastic moment

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how after like 2-4 quests you get named leader of the faction.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Why has no one made a giant mod of FO1 or FO2 in FO4's engine?

Fallout 1 actually has shockingly little content when you examine it. There are only 13 actual locations in the game but between blindly wandering around the overworld and the incredibly slow combat (not a knock, just a fact) the gameplay takes much longer. In a Fallout 4 conversion you would either need to invent a lot of new wasteland content to fill it out or it would only take an hour to beat.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Tenzarin posted:

these people can't even sweep up their floors after 200 years, they desperately need someone with their poo poo together calling the shots

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Tenzarin posted:

This is literally only true of the faction that consists of one suicidal guy, you never become the leader of the BoS or Railroad and you don't become Institute director until the end of the game if you go that route.

I guess it's kinda true in Skyrim though :shrug:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Wolfsheim posted:

"Kinda true" don't you become the leader of literally every guild you join once you complete the quest chains? Yeah I guess it's more than just 2 - 4 quests but I'll never not laugh at my Orc barbarian style character becoming the leader of the Thieves Guild and then the loving Archmage.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Garrand posted:

"Kinda true" don't you become the leader of literally every guild you join once you complete the quest chains? Yeah I guess it's more than just 2 - 4 quests but I'll never not laugh at my Orc barbarian style character becoming the leader of the Thieves Guild and then the loving Archmage.

Yea this is What I liked about ESO > skyrim since they dont make you the guildmaster of everything bc you Did their questline. Skyrims ”archmage who literally cant cast anything except summon ateonarch to get inside the college” is a retarded idea.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I have a hot take on Honest Hearts (7 years late): Start it naked. No matter what level you are, start it with no equipment or inventory of any kind, including caps. I'm doing this at level 30 with PN hardcore mode on and it's a lot more fun, plus I think it really fits the themes and setting of the DLC, going full survival mode.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Garrand posted:

Right, and that's been a thing in every Elder Scrolls game since forever, though they at least used to gate your progression with skill checks on magic/etc. The only time anything comparable really comes up in Fallout at all is the Minutemen (which is just one real depressed guy at that point) and Yes Man (which is just you stealing someone else's plan that was like 60% of the way finished).

Speaking of bad factions though, I always thought it would be a pro-move on Bethesda's part to throw the thieves guild in a Fallout game and enjoy the outrage over them ruining the series/etc because it was such a completely lame nothing of a faction that I'm willing to bet people forgot they were in the first game at all.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wolfsheim posted:

This is literally only true of the faction that consists of one suicidal guy, you never become the leader of the BoS or Railroad and you don't become Institute director until the end of the game if you go that route.

Your the who of the minutemen and the raiders?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The first time I went in, I was wearing a comfortable pair of traveling clothes (dt 2) (including a hat to keep the sun off my neck), a pair of brass knuckles and a lever action shotgun with one reload worth of extra shells, three stimpaks, and three days worth of food and water.

(I'll note that I did this after having already gone through dead money, killed a dozen or so sets of legionary assassins, and cleaned out Quarry Junction with a basic power fist and no sneak attacks. I left all my good stuff at home in Novac because, you know, I was going on a caravan trip for a few weeks (to let the heat die down after having just punched Caesar to death).

It was a blast, best way I ever played it. I tend to do something similar for OWB (usually my typical traveling gear, which is minimal, on my way to recruit Cass and noticing an interesting transmission) and LR (disappearing on the eve of the battle for the Dam without telling any of my friends, having left behind my battle gear to make sure it doesn't get wrecked before the big fight), too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Wolfsheim posted:

Right, and that's been a thing in every Elder Scrolls game since forever, though they at least used to gate your progression with skill checks on magic/etc. The only time anything comparable really comes up in Fallout at all is the Minutemen (which is just one real depressed guy at that point) and Yes Man (which is just you stealing someone else's plan that was like 60% of the way finished).

Speaking of bad factions though, I always thought it would be a pro-move on Bethesda's part to throw the thieves guild in a Fallout game and enjoy the outrage over them ruining the series/etc because it was such a completely lame nothing of a faction that I'm willing to bet people forgot they were in the first game at all.

Yes, but that would mean having more of the Thieves Guild, as written by modern Bethesda.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

there's a thieves guild in 2 run by some fake british dude

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Keeshhound posted:

Yes, but that would mean having more of the Thieves Guild, as written by modern Bethesda.

Isn't that the railroad? They make you pick a lame nickname and give you all stealth weapons.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The first time I went in, I was wearing a comfortable pair of traveling clothes (dt 2) (including a hat to keep the sun off my neck), a pair of brass knuckles and a lever action shotgun with one reload worth of extra shells, three stimpaks, and three days worth of food and water.

(I'll note that I did this after having already gone through dead money, killed a dozen or so sets of legionary assassins, and cleaned out Quarry Junction with a basic power fist and no sneak attacks. I left all my good stuff at home in Novac because, you know, I was going on a caravan trip for a few weeks (to let the heat die down after having just punched Caesar to death).

It was a blast, best way I ever played it. I tend to do something similar for OWB (usually my typical traveling gear, which is minimal, on my way to recruit Cass and noticing an interesting transmission) and LR (disappearing on the eve of the battle for the Dam without telling any of my friends, having left behind my battle gear to make sure it doesn't get wrecked before the big fight), too.

I'm having a lot more fun. Every survivalist cache feels like a real treasure, I'm actually using survival recipes past level 5, and I don't have to worry about my inventory space being filled by weapons that I can't use because there's no ammo and can't drop because they're unique.

It's adding much needed difficulty and fun to the mid/late game.

I'm intrigued by the idea of doing the same for Lonesome Road, but it's the only DLC I've never played (despite playing the others 3-4 times, now) and I'm a little hesitant. That's the only one you can leave whenever you want, right? I guess if it's too much I can just go back to base for my one million stimpacks and OP weapons.

I wish one of the 3D games would capture the feeling of danger and scarcity that all of Fallout 1 and half of Fallout 2 had. That feeling of every bullet, stimpack, and tool being truly valuable and your inventory being limited to a greater, if still reasonable degree. I thought Project Nevada would help, and it does to some extent, but there's still something about Bethesda open worlds that make them feel a little too safe and victory a little too inevitable once you're past level 10.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

jfood posted:

there's a thieves guild in 2 run by some fake british dude

???? Wheres this? I thought I Remember fallout 2 by heart even after 10 years But Im totally lost here

Nvm googled it and Its in fallout 1, not 2. No wonder I couldnt Remember it

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

I'm having a lot more fun. Every survivalist cache feels like a real treasure, I'm actually using survival recipes past level 5, and I don't have to worry about my inventory space being filled by weapons that I can't use because there's no ammo and can't drop because they're unique.

It's adding much needed difficulty and fun to the mid/late game.

I'm intrigued by the idea of doing the same for Lonesome Road, but it's the only DLC I've never played (despite playing the others 3-4 times, now) and I'm a little hesitant. That's the only one you can leave whenever you want, right? I guess if it's too much I can just go back to base for my one million stimpacks and OP weapons.

I wish one of the 3D games would capture the feeling of danger and scarcity that all of Fallout 1 and half of Fallout 2 had. That feeling of every bullet, stimpack, and tool being truly valuable and your inventory being limited to a greater, if still reasonable degree. I thought Project Nevada would help, and it does to some extent, but there's still something about Bethesda open worlds that make them feel a little too safe and victory a little too inevitable once you're past level 10.

I feel like one of the issues goes back to Morrowind; they felt the need to put a poo poo load of items everywhere. One of the reasons the early Fallouts felt like there weren't many items is because there just weren't. As the game progressed there was more and more and if you put any points into Barter you could just buy as much poo poo as you could ever want but early on? Like you said; everything was precious.

Bethesda games just kind of fling loot at you nonstop. In Fallout you couldn't loot every single suit of armor from every person you killed and then sell them. In Bethesda Fallout you can and it can net you absurd amounts of money. They also don't seem to notice whenever they put something in that completely trivializes money. Fallout 4 is probably the worst for that; you can from the very start without much investment start pumping water out of Sanctuary by the truck load to just trade for everything you could ever possibly need. Bethesda's answer to that was to limit the number of caps you can get from a merchant but it's a hilariously ineffective way to limit player money when the merchants all have so much poo poo that it's utterly irrelevant.

Fallout 1 and 2 put serious limits on what the early game merchants could even get their hands on as well as how much stuff or caps you could get to even trade with in the first place. When you're in Junktown with 87 caps suddenly what you spend them on matters. When you can outfit Sanctuary to poo poo out a couple dozen bottles of purified water a day right out of the gate you might as well be able to just click on merchants and have them vomit piles of gear on you for free. Not to mention the gigantic piles of loot the game throws at you constantly. The original Fallouts were loving stingy which is part of why they managed to feel so apocalyptic. You'd have a pair of pants, a spear, a lovely pistol, 9 bullets, and enough caps to buy some lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I feel like one of the issues goes back to Morrowind; they felt the need to put a poo poo load of items everywhere. One of the reasons the early Fallouts felt like there weren't many items is because there just weren't. As the game progressed there was more and more and if you put any points into Barter you could just buy as much poo poo as you could ever want but early on? Like you said; everything was precious.

Bethesda games just kind of fling loot at you nonstop. In Fallout you couldn't loot every single suit of armor from every person you killed and then sell them. In Bethesda Fallout you can and it can net you absurd amounts of money. They also don't seem to notice whenever they put something in that completely trivializes money. Fallout 4 is probably the worst for that; you can from the very start without much investment start pumping water out of Sanctuary by the truck load to just trade for everything you could ever possibly need. Bethesda's answer to that was to limit the number of caps you can get from a merchant but it's a hilariously ineffective way to limit player money when the merchants all have so much poo poo that it's utterly irrelevant.

Fallout 1 and 2 put serious limits on what the early game merchants could even get their hands on as well as how much stuff or caps you could get to even trade with in the first place. When you're in Junktown with 87 caps suddenly what you spend them on matters. When you can outfit Sanctuary to poo poo out a couple dozen bottles of purified water a day right out of the gate you might as well be able to just click on merchants and have them vomit piles of gear on you for free. Not to mention the gigantic piles of loot the game throws at you constantly. The original Fallouts were loving stingy which is part of why they managed to feel so apocalyptic. You'd have a pair of pants, a spear, a lovely pistol, 9 bullets, and enough caps to buy some lunch.

Also most of the time you had to barter on 2 since there Wasnt cash around. Oh you ended up with 2 HK CAWSes after you witnessed a fight between vault city patrol unit and raiders? Well they go for 4500$ each but good luck finding anyone with that money before NCR. On the other hand that unit of 50 micro fusion cells? 1300 bucks.