Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Squashing Machine posted:

You caught me, I'm not much of a reader of the critical theorists. I am, however, a reader of books, and if that makes me a fraud in your eyes then I can't change that.

What I will say, though, is that I'm glad I've stayed far away from the theory if this is where it gets you. It's a sad, cynical approach to the novel. It's about fracturing, setting up boundaries, saying you can only look over the fence but never really climb it.

Had to catch myself from crying a bit at Lincoln in the Bardo on the CTA today. Embarrassing, really, when it's just about some dumb dead rich kid and his stupid grieving privileged father. Can't believe I let my guard down. Hopefully next time I'll stop myself before I actually feel something for the wrong people in a book.

:redass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Squashing I like your taste in books but you can chill a bit. No need to take the poo poo-talking book nerds on the cynical comedy site so seriously. You don't need to be self-critical about your reading either, that's what this thread is for.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've only read Barthes' Camera Lucida, but if you're interested in photography it's very much worth it. Having not read much serious critical work is it was very different to what I expected. It's extraordinarily accessible.

Susan Sontag's On Photography is another staple of photography literature. It's hugely controversial and some people hate what she wrote, but I think there's a lot of validity to it even if it's confrontational to photographers, and asks you to reassess and understand what you're doing when you photograph. I don't know if her other work is worth approaching or if she ever focused on literature. She wrote fiction as well.

Judith Butler is a strange one, quite contentious, but massively important. Her arguments on gender are important for third wave feminism, but are as much used as a critique of third wave feminism, especially its pro-trans stance. She's often a way to start an argument. I like what I've read of her but I'm equally suspicious of others who use her arguments. There's a lot of nuance and fine lines to it.

Mel: Which of those books you've recommended are closest to the act and effect of writing/reading/literature? And which are more general on society? I'll look them up, but commentary as close to writing as Barthes and Sontag were to photography would be appreciated.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The margins of my book have something to say about universal experiences.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you cannot recite your complete stable of critical influences when challenged you are a fraud imho

im a medievalist sorry i dont need to care about theory

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

WASDF posted:

The margins of my book have something to say about universal experiences.

an ooniversal theme

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mrenda posted:

Mel: Which of those books you've recommended are closest to the act and effect of writing/reading/literature? And which are more general on society? I'll look them up, but commentary as close to writing as Barthes and Sontag were to photography would be appreciated.

Barthes is general is great for this. If you liked Camera Lucida you can do Pleasure of the Text, or Death of the Author. He is the critic I find who most closely concerns himself with the experience of art as much as the meaning of it. Derrida is far too analytical, and Foucault is far too political for it I think. Barthes retains the best sense of joy out of all of them.

If you do like Photography read The Post Modern Condition though. Part of it is about how the photograph changed the essence of artistic criticism

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 25, 2022

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

fridge corn posted:

I cant tell if this post is real or not but you should read Aquarium by David Vann

Haha, yeah, forgot to keep things ironic. I'll give it a look, thanks.

Franchescanado posted:

Squashing I like your taste in books but you can chill a bit. No need to take the poo poo-talking book nerds on the cynical comedy site so seriously. You don't need to be self-critical about your reading either, that's what this thread is for.

Yeah, I probably got a little carried away. I do my best not to get tweaked too badly at criticisms of things I find personally important, but I am getting tired and defensive at the growing agreement that Delillo, Wallace, Pynchon and so on need to be torn down because they're problematic or not sufficiently conscious or whatever. At a time when it's a minor miracle that anyone's reading at all, I think it's just silly as all hell to go after things for being the wrong books.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

pleasecallmechrist posted:

So the Jews as writers and publishers basically

Nonsense, sometimes you get a good ol fashioned yankee boarding school type in there

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I am now going to work the phrase "but in the world that is a very real thing that occurs" into any discussion of books.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hbut I am getting tired and defensive at the growing agreement that Delillo, Wallace, Pynchon and so on need to be torn down because they're problematic or not sufficiently conscious or whatever. At a time when it's a minor miracle that anyone's reading at all, I think it's just silly as all hell to go after things for being the wrong books.

See the benefit to my philosophy of critical analysis is that it doesnt matter what other people think of what books you connect with

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Yeah, I probably got a little carried away. I do my best not to get tweaked too badly at criticisms of things I find personally important, but I am getting tired and defensive at the growing agreement that Delillo, Wallace, Pynchon and so on need to be torn down because they're problematic or not sufficiently conscious or whatever. At a time when it's a minor miracle that anyone's reading at all, I think it's just silly as all hell to go after things for being the wrong books.

The main problematic thing about Wallace is how bad his writing is

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 25, 2022

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Which I totally get, but literary debates strengthen your critical skills while making you reevaluate your own ideas.

And we're just strangers on the internet.

Hey guys, this books has a story about rich people... I hate rich people! gently caress this book!

Always love you letting us know when you're all caught up on yesterday's chat.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 25, 2022

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 25, 2022

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nobody is tearing down pynchon except the pulitzer prize board.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You laugh, but it really does work. I never walk through East St. Louis without my copy of The Souls of Black Folk prominently visible.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I hate lit theory and want to shoot it to the sun

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress books, get papercuts.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I like theory, it's fun

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Theory is fine sometimes, especially since some writers are theorists of their own work and you're missing out if you ignore that stuff. But art always exceeds theory in some way, theory can't paraphrase what art does and looks bad when it tries to.

I like simple Freudian readings where you get things like "did you notice that the author uses these kinds of words over and over in a very specific way?" or things like that, i like when it just describes what a book actually does, rather than cast it within some predetermined School or whatever that's supposed to explain everything.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 7, 2018

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Derrida's analysis of Phaedrus within Plato's Pharmacy blew me the f--- away.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Tree Goat posted:

not quite marginalia, but my wilfred owens collection has a big coffee stain right smack dab in the middle of dulce et decorum est, so it reads:

does anybody know what the missing text reads? it's such an important poem that i feel silly that i've never read the whole thing

lmao

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shibawanko posted:

I like simple Freudian readings where you get things like "did you notice that the author uses these kinds of words over and over in a very specific way?" or things like that, i like when it just describes what a book actually does, rather than cast it within some predetermined School or whatever that's supposed to explain everything.

I don't think there's any "school" of criticism that can't simply be incorporated to a broad, "aesthetic" reading without losing anything.

I said this once about feminist literary criticism and got told that I clearly hate female authors like Jane Austen.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

In all seriousness, arguments for "diversity and the marginalized" while decrying white middle class dude lit is just an overeducated liberal way to ease their own insecurity and ennui by finding novelty in coloreds, and now trannies, etc.

Like maybe if you celebrate blackness they'll let you come to the barbecue ya know.. like in the hood...and not reject u because u r white...its like best case scenario you get a hood pass! OMG, right? Wouldn't that be great?!?! Heck yeah it would!

stfu dumbass

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

like there's alot to be said with the cultural appropriation and minority tourism in literature now but sad white upper middle class man lit is still boring and tired

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

we must secure the existence of our people and sad white middle class literature

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

tired: novels about sad, white, alcoholic, middle-class men.
wired: novels about sad, white, alcoholic, middle-class women.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
im a middle class white man ama

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I am a proud child of the steppe, read my book.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

chernobyl kinsman posted:

im a middle class white man ama

do you suffer from ennui

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

fridge corn posted:

do you suffer from ennui

Is there something similar to ennui, but for thickos? I don't feel like I have the intellectual might to tackle the deepest disappointments of privilege in a way other disappointed people can relate to, and that's a real let down.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

jagstag posted:

stfu dumbass

i think it's very progressive that the book subforum has its own pet neo-nazi

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

a pet? All the other neo-nazis are just cooperating by editing their old posts in page-11 threads. you see one rat in your home, you better check the walls for more, my friend.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Barthes
Derrida
Foucault
Saussure
Lacan
Hegel
Butler

but do you own more zizek books than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

WASDF posted:

Derrida's analysis of Phaedrus within Plato's Pharmacy blew me the f--- away.

Along these lines and while talk of theory and art is in the air, Foucault's quick tour of Velazquez' "Las Meninas" (I think in the introduction to The Order of Things?) still stands out to me probably fifteen years after I've last read it. His powers of synthesis were what made him such an influence on my own theory, but I can sympathize with Mel's nitpick about that political kernel being always in his undercurrent.

I should probably reread some of Foucault, but I resolved not to revisit anything of his until I've made my way through the Collège de France lecture series. His project in those years/lectures is intimidating as gently caress, taken as a whole, and I'm frankly not sure I'm equipped for it.