Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Furism posted:

tldr; if they throw you in an oven because of your DNA, at least take comfort in knowing it was just a wild guess.

The holocaust was preceded by massive data collection - censuses, birth/marriage/death records, etc. IBM played a part but stridently deny that they knew anything. Not wanting your genetic code indexed is prudent, especially if you are aware how population data was misused in the previous century. It's not really negated by the argument "well there's no genetic marker for Judaism".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
It's all well and good to :goonsay: that religion isn't genetic, but Judaism was under the Nuremburg laws. Nuns and priests were gassed because they had grandparents who ticked Jew on a census decades earlier.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mewse posted:

The holocaust was preceded by massive data collection - censuses, birth/marriage/death records, etc. IBM played a part but stridently deny that they knew anything. Not wanting your genetic code indexed is prudent, especially if you are aware how population data was misused in the previous century. It's not really negated by the argument "well there's no genetic marker for Judaism".

Just recently, the Golden State Killer was caught using DNA data collected by a private company. Which is great in this case, but the privacy implications are troubling.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

says here you share a lot of genetic traits with the golden state killer, welcome to the police department

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

doctorfrog posted:

says here you share a lot of genetic traits with the golden state killer, welcome to the police department

I mean locking up old, white males may not be the worst idea.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

mewse posted:

Well, yeah, privacy matters and mass-collecting DNA by anyone Doesn't Sound Good and people probably shouldn't do it. My point was just that being Jewish or not is irrelevant in this context.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Furism posted:

Well, yeah, privacy matters and mass-collecting DNA by anyone Doesn't Sound Good and people probably shouldn't do it. My point was just that being Jewish or not is irrelevant in this context.
Dude you're being daft AF

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/phat_hobbit/status/1005465815896883200

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I've been trying to figure my way around this. Far as I can tell every goddamn Linux distro connects to SMB shares with v1 by default. ARRG

[edit] And printers, at the very least Ricoh and some others scan to folder
And some Android apps

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 9, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Even the very latest Ubuntu has an smb client that doesn’t auto negotiate to v2.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

Even the very latest Ubuntu has an smb client that doesn’t auto negotiate to v2.

Yeah and that is why every ubuntu based distro is broken talking to windows right now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

We mount our shared storage by specifying vers=2 but yeah it’s just dumb that it can’t auto negotiate up if it can do v2

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

redeyes posted:

I've been trying to figure my way around this. Far as I can tell every goddamn Linux distro connects to SMB shares with v1 by default. ARRG
This is false.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've always wanted to move to NFS but setting that up correctly is a pain. You think you gave the share all the right permissions, groups and others, but then only maybe half your devices will even see the shares and half of that will not be able to understand it requires a username/password.

Then you type in two commands and you immediately have SMB shares working.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Does Windows have an SFTP client and/or server now that it has SSH?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Yeah, Windows now includes the sftp command by default since OpenSSH comes as a default feature on the latest builds.

Edit: dunno if WSL includes sftp or not.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 11, 2018

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I use lftp through WSL all the time. I don't think it comes with it, but you just apt install it and off you go.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm trying tenable.io for the first time, it's really slick. Big step up from the older version of Security Centre that I've used for years at my last job.

welp that's my monday infosec thoughts, cheers

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm trying tenable.io for the first time, it's really slick. Big step up from the older version of Security Centre that I've used for years at my last job.

What are the things that you like about tenable.io?

I have heard absolutely terrible things about Tenable from a friend running TVM at another company (mixed SecCenter and tenable.io). I have mild complaints and irritations with Nexpose but nothing major and I'd def recommend you check them out if tenable.io isn't needs suiting.

Monday Infosec Thoughts:
Trying to wrestle Splunk Universal Forwarders to take powershell input appears to be a pain in the rear end and I really wished I had proserv for some questions like this.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm doing some test work for the Splunk guy to get away from running the UF on all the endpoint and instead do event log subscriptions out to a collector box and then drop the UF on just that, similar to how we're doing our syslog ingest. Seems easier to propagate and the permissions model is much nicer since it will run with Event Log Readers perm instead of local admin or [shudder] DA.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

But it ain't DarkTrace levels of pretty.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm doing some test work for the Splunk guy to get away from running the UF on all the endpoint and instead do event log subscriptions out to a collector box and then drop the UF on just that, similar to how we're doing our syslog ingest. Seems easier to propagate and the permissions model is much nicer since it will run with Event Log Readers perm instead of local admin or [shudder] DA.

Oh please talk about this! Two big things I want to implement are:
- WEF to a collector box (you can't get rid of the bullshit at the end of windows events unless you are handling log ingestion to the indexing cluster from a heavy forwarder) which will end up saving us a few 10s of gigs on our license
- Getting everyone on at least WMF5 for powershell OTS and scriptblock logging

WEF seems like to do it right the company needs a PKI which we: do not have, and the PS logging seems to require some new shares set up to get it done right. How are you going about it?

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Anyone using Splunk stream to capture DNS logs on a Windows DNS server? I see you can do it with the MS DNS add-on but the debug log files look quite :psyduck:, and it seems easier to filter internal DNS requests out with Stream.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jeoh posted:

But it ain't DarkTrace levels of pretty.

don't trigger me like this

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Softcox posted:

Anyone using Splunk stream to capture DNS logs on a Windows DNS server? I see you can do it with the MS DNS add-on but the debug log files look quite :psyduck:, and it seems easier to filter internal DNS requests out with Stream.

I capture them by dropping them to flat files and making the splunk forwarder read the flat files. It works okay.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Jowj posted:

What are the things that you like about tenable.io?

I have heard absolutely terrible things about Tenable from a friend running TVM at another company (mixed SecCenter and tenable.io). I have mild complaints and irritations with Nexpose but nothing major and I'd def recommend you check them out if tenable.io isn't needs suiting.

Monday Infosec Thoughts:
Trying to wrestle Splunk Universal Forwarders to take powershell input appears to be a pain in the rear end and I really wished I had proserv for some questions like this.

Chiming since I'm in the middle of a migration from a mix of Nexpose and Nessus scanners to TIO. If you like Nessus, it's great as the interface has that feel. It's got cool stuff with remote agents and scanners and while not finished, there's an asset tagging system so you can add descriptors to your hosts. I'm using this to identify system owner so I know who can fix what gets found. The dashboards are nice as well, but will be better once they implement more customizations and the ability to create reports off tags as well. We went with it for cost reasons mainly. I tested both tenable and InsightVM and found them both to do what I wanted and they gave the same results.

If you're on rapid7 whatever and happy with it, my tests indicated no real reason to migrate. They both feel pretty equal to me.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Boner Wad posted:

I capture them by dropping them to flat files and making the splunk forwarder read the flat files. It works okay.

I read this as "I capture them by fropping them flat on their face". I liked it better that way.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Any recommendations on password managers for non-IT groups that are affordable? Our marketing department has a bunch of social media accounts that they need to store.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

1password teams?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Softcox posted:

It works fine with an ISF and a TAP/SPAN/Mirror but just give up now if you're trying to use the TA with a universal forwarder and care about data integrity. The TA does no local buffering, and drops the queue at the sign of any issue.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Good for small numbers of users; they just released a business version with AD integration if you like it but need a bit more manageability (can’t say I’ve tried that version, mind you).

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Softcox posted:

Grassy Knowles posted:

It works fine with an ISF and a TAP/SPAN/Mirror but just give up now if you're trying to use the TA with a universal forwarder and care about data integrity. The TA does no local buffering, and drops the queue at the sign of any issue.

Hi. I do this.

I recommend using Stream with DNS over reading the DNS logs directly. The DNS logs within Windows are just awful and when Stream became an option for me I latched on to it. Having an RSPAN, TAP, or whatever is definitely the best option. Also make sure to have your DNS centralised otherwise having to setup and configure multiple sniffing points will become problematic.

The way I have it configured is that I have four DNS servers that are separated by geography with secondary falling to a local domain controller. Stream is configured on a separate VM at their respective sites where it listens to the traffic being sent to the DNS servers. It works well and I recommend it over the native Windows logging.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Lain Iwakura posted:

Hi. I do this.

I recommend using Stream with DNS over reading the DNS logs directly. The DNS logs within Windows are just awful and when Stream became an option for me I latched on to it. Having an RSPAN, TAP, or whatever is definitely the best option. Also make sure to have your DNS centralised otherwise having to setup and configure multiple sniffing points will become problematic.

The way I have it configured is that I have four DNS servers that are separated by geography with secondary falling to a local domain controller. Stream is configured on a separate VM at their respective sites where it listens to the traffic being sent to the DNS servers. It works well and I recommend it over the native Windows logging.

Thanks, that’s super helpful. Stream on separate VMs with span ports sounds the most scalable. Plus I can’t easily break anything on the DNS servers that way :downs:

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
What is Stream in this context? Sounds better than what I was doing but has somewhat of an ambiguous name and my searches are failing me.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Splunk Stream, I think?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Basically a Splunk Span Port adapter.

I haven't heard it used for DNS, what's wrong with the default windows input?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Jowj posted:

Oh please talk about this! Two big things I want to implement are:
- WEF to a collector box (you can't get rid of the bullshit at the end of windows events unless you are handling log ingestion to the indexing cluster from a heavy forwarder) which will end up saving us a few 10s of gigs on our license
- Getting everyone on at least WMF5 for powershell OTS and scriptblock logging

WEF seems like to do it right the company needs a PKI which we: do not have, and the PS logging seems to require some new shares set up to get it done right. How are you going about it?

The documentation says you only need PKI if you don't have kerberos for system authentication (or go noauth yolo and rely on the firewall). Hopefully that's true, since I'm banking on it. Test environment is still locked up in a zone while I wait for firewall rules to get opened so I can get it pulling logs.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Mustache Ride posted:

Basically a Splunk Span Port adapter.

I haven't heard it used for DNS, what's wrong with the default windows input?

Relies on disk writes and to be enabled through the registry or through a patch.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn800669(v=ws.11)#dbug

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

There's always good ole ram disks if you want to get weird about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Ehmee/status/1007348713117929472