Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

You mean Kazuyoshi Yaginuma? Google isn't turning up anything about an anime director named Yamaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Silver2195 posted:

You mean Kazuyoshi Yaginuma? Google isn't turning up anything about an anime director named Yamaken.

no, yutaka yamamoto's been an active piece of poo poo for a few more years than yaginuma

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colonel posted:

no, yutaka yamamoto's been an active piece of poo poo for a few more years than yaginuma

Pretty by the time of the first WUG he was starting to reveal himself as an rear end and he's just been getting worse as the years go by. Lucky Star causing him to be fired by Kyoani is perhaps it's best gift to anime

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

i mean, even using the murder of thousands of chinese civilians as fodder for a redemption story for a japanese guy is pretty hosed up. like imagine if i wrote a novel about the guy who pulled the lever at auschwitz being transported to a fantasy world. even if i was doing it to be a story about consequence it'd still be super heavy, dumb material to work with.

not to say fiction can't engage with these things at all but the premise itself when paired with bland isekai seems kind of unworkable.

the video game adaptation of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream kinda did that and kinda pulled it off, but most isekai writers aren't harlan ellison. and even then i wouldn't defend it too hard as being in good taste

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No Mouth also kinda had a point to make with it, rather than having it for a dark backstory's sake.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

No Mouth also kinda had a point to make with it, rather than having it for a dark backstory's sake.

hey, this guy was also trying to make a point. it's just that the point was 'war crimes against china and korea are awesome and we should do some more'.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ah! Super big thanks for doing this for me! I kinda feel guilty now....

Anyways, the first episode had style, if not quite the frenetic energy of the original FLCL, and while I can't say if the story it plans on telling will be good or novel, I feel like it will almost certainly be interesting, and those two elements alone make it worth watching for me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Takayama Naoto, 2nd-year student at Kiryu Tetsudou High School, has been selected to intern at the infamous "Public Rail Road Security Corps," much to Naoto's chagrin. He only wanted to be assigned to a safe, relaxed group to live quietly for the rest of his life. Now he ends up in one of the most dangerous work-places in Japan. This group is the first line of defence against the extreme far right groups fighting to privatize the railroads. Considering his lack of training or motivation, will he be able to survive the rail wars?

Edit: Whoops meant to put this in the chat thread.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 7, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Relin posted:

i posted before reading some of the elaboration, because i had only read the original ann article about china getting really mad at just being called insects and the war fantasy :shobon: the other stuff he said does go too far

I'm sorry, but nobody is allowed to insincerely use :shobon:

chumbler posted:

Takayama Naoto, 2nd-year student at Kiryu Tetsudou High School, has been selected to intern at the infamous "Public Rail Road Security Corps," much to Naoto's chagrin. He only wanted to be assigned to a safe, relaxed group to live quietly for the rest of his life. Now he ends up in one of the most dangerous work-places in Japan. This group is the first line of defence against the extreme far right groups fighting to privatize the railroads. Considering his lack of training or motivation, will he be able to survive the rail wars?

The Second Holy Rail War

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This weeks Lost Periods was one big joke on Androids and I had to groan at the final gag yes

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
more directors should grift chinese billionaires on their production committees

the macross dude managed to get them to pay for a ridiculous amount of schezuan hot pot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

the video game adaptation of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream kinda did that and kinda pulled it off, but most isekai writers aren't harlan ellison. and even then i wouldn't defend it too hard as being in good taste
No Mouth also ended with him either dying or getting turned into a horrific blob thing. and iirc he's kind of the 'canon' blob monster? It's been ages since I played that game but I remember the path towards that ending kind of feeling like that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It's possible to get the least bad ending with him, but it involves even more BS than getting that ending normally. (I've played this game way too many times...)

Of course this entire derail is ignoring that

A. I have No Mouth and I Must Scream was a very controversial game and
B. It handled its subject matter infinitely better and more carefully than "Lol, look at all these filthy Chinese our super cool character killed"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also I don't think Harlan Ellison ever went out in public to share his opinion on the Filthy Zionist Conspiracy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Had to re-read No Mouth for my Horror class last semester and god is that story just mean-spirited. Not that it shouldn't but lordy I forgot what an absolute nightmare it is

I played the game too and the professor and I talked about point and click adventure games for a bit

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Expect My Mom posted:

Had to re-read No Mouth for my Horror class last semester and god is that story just mean-spirited. Not that it shouldn't but lordy I forgot what an absolute nightmare it is

I played the game too and the professor and I talked about point and click adventure games for a bit

It is one of my favorite pieces of science fiction ever. It's just chilling.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

No Mouth also ended with him either dying or getting turned into a horrific blob thing. and iirc he's kind of the 'canon' blob monster? It's been ages since I played that game but I remember the path towards that ending kind of feeling like that.

Bad end follows the short story iirc. Good end has you blowing up AM, SM and CM and freeing the last remnants of humanity that were frozen or something like that. The good end makes the story more about humanity and redemption.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Bad end follows the short story iirc. Good end has you blowing up AM, SM and CM and freeing the last remnants of humanity that were frozen or something like that. The good end makes the story more about humanity and redemption.

It's hard for Nimdok specifically to get to that end because you need him to use his password and then die, though Ted can eventually brute force it if you know exactly what you're doing and make pretty much zero mistakes throughout the entire game.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Knorth posted:

ganbatte :3:

Best show of the season and cakes.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Has there been talk about Shin Buddy Fight? Just the first ep is out but the OP hooked me with its energy and I needed something to fill the void left by coming off a recent Cardfight Vanguard binge. I love that the main character is a Youtube personality and I'm actually thinking of getting into the card game so apparently it's doing its job as a vehicle to sell that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjxIK3Cr5Qc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he can join the other anime youtubers like the childhood friend in Shinkalion, the girls is Kiratto Pri-chan, and the youtuber from Appmon

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yamaken doubling down on being poo poo

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-06-07/yamakan-angrily-blames-otaku-china-for-new-life-anime-cancellation/.132541

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

quote:

"But it's not tied to my resentment towards all Chinese people,"

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
western racism against blacks and arabs and mexicans and eastern europeans probably looks just as absurd from elsewhere

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Phobophilia posted:

western racism against blacks and arabs and mexicans and eastern europeans probably looks just as absurd from elsewhere

Yes and...?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Phobophilia posted:

do cool kids these days still say the phrase "pause"? Because pause...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mycot posted:

Yes and...?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

mycot posted:

Yes and...?

this is turning into the world's worst improv

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

#1 best girlfriend

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Agronox posted:

this is turning into the world's worst improv

no, but

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

as a chinese person i think the real crime is that its an isekai

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

isekai is a disease

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1004992933072965632

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Do not disparage the Kohr-Ah and their just and correct struggle for supremacy of doctrine by linking them to trash.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEFALqujPPU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I fondle these bones, and recall the fine cleansing....

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

aw man where else are people gonna get an anime about a guy dying and waking up in alternative fantasy world where he is surrounded by girls

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

aw man where else are people gonna get an anime about a guy dying and waking up in alternative fantasy world where he is surrounded by girls

yeah thats the thing its such a completely generic premise that the author randomly shoehorning racism in feels even more absurd

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

He’s pretty clearly Umgah, with Putin being the Dynarri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it approaches

• Locked thread