Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Corrode posted:

It's kind of funny to think that this giant publicly-traded 40 year old corporation is experiencing the sort of problems you expect from a brand new start-up, because they were so poo poo for so long that they've surprised themselves by making minor changes and immediately becoming vastly more successful

I don't think it's just that. There's been chronic underinvestment in business infrastructure for a long time, in the pursuit of maximising profit now rather than, you know, having a sustainable business model.

They have a bunch of outsourced warehousing now, but that has its own risks when new product sits in warehouse for 3-6 months before launch. There's a reason there were some leaks that were just "here's photos of the whole drat codex". Also there are supply chain issues with having your warehousing miles away from your factory, especially when you're used to them literally being next door.

Expect the release schedule to slow down a fair bit from its manic pace later this year, and for more older kit to be squatted or shifted to order only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
There's also the battle they're having with Nottingham about their electricity infrastructure. They want to install more machinery to increase production but the local power grid literally cannot support it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
They've got engineers going 'She cannae take it captain!' in response to their power draw if they put their new gear online.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Welp, looks like I'm splitting another box set. Gimme 'dem sweet wizardcasts.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Lupercalcalcal posted:

I don't think it's just that. There's been chronic underinvestment in business infrastructure for a long time, in the pursuit of maximising profit now rather than, you know, having a sustainable business model.

Their old financials made a slightly different case. Same problem (underinvestment) but different motivation. They didn't want to maximize profit, they wanted sustainable profit and so were extremely risk averse and ossified. They wanted to be able to return money to investors each quarter and this led to an expense minimizing strategy that undercut their long term growth. They baked a bunch of fragility into the business by cutting costs, instead of finding ways to grow. They were worried that rapid growth would lead to investor expectations around future growth and the stock price would explode if they couldn't deliver. To get their small inflation beating returns they could only cut costs. They were also chronically badly managed at the top so burned maybe a decade or more unable to turn things around.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, GW until very recently were incredibly risk-averse, with the reasoning of "If we change a drat thing, the whole house of cards might fall". This is how the famous Kirby promise of "no price reductions EVER" came about.

Thankfully they seem to be slowly rolling back that extremely conservative approach.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

This is the same company that for years boasted "we have absolutely zero debt!!" and didn't realise what loving idiots that made them look.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, GW until very recently were incredibly risk-averse, with the reasoning of "If we change a drat thing, the whole house of cards might fall". This is how the famous Kirby promise of "no price reductions EVER" came about.

Thankfully they seem to be slowly rolling back that extremely conservative approach.

Though sadly not the Kirby promise.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though sadly not the Kirby promise.

SC boxes are at least a step in the right direction.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Those "saved you a click!" bundles were the most insulting poo poo.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Forge World Dorn + Book bundle actually costs a pound more than buying them separately

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

SC boxes are at least a step in the right direction.

sc boxes are there to distract you from all their new kits being considerably more expensive than their older ones

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Gw really should aggressively bundle kits together with a discount attached more often. Not only does it incentivize people to buy more things in general but it also allows you to bundle underselling kits with more popular ones to get them moving.

Edit:

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

sc boxes are there to distract you from all their new kits being considerably more expensive than their older ones

I see someone hasnt looked at the Daughters of Khaine prices lately.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 8, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Imagine if GW kept up this current trend of behaving like a semi competent business.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Discounted prices on this stuff aren't even loss leaders because their margins are so insane so heh

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

S.J. posted:

Discounted prices on this stuff aren't even loss leaders because their margins are so insane so heh

TBF a healthy portion of those margins are going to game stores if so many of them can do such deep discounts.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

TBF a healthy portion of those margins are going to game stores if so many of them can do such deep discounts.

Oh I work at one of those games stores, I'm aware. Our margins are normal to below average for GW

e: although to be fair, GWs margins aren't bad or anything, and are certainly better than a number of, say, board game publishers, but also worse than basically every other miniature game company I can think of off the top of my head

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 8, 2018

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

I see someone hasnt looked at the Daughters of Khaine prices lately.

what is there to see? that their pricing structure proves my point?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

what is there to see? that their pricing structure proves my point?

The older kits in the DoK range are the ones that are overpriced while the newer kits are consistently less.

Witch elves, which are the battleline units, are $60 while the Melusai, an elite unit, are $50 and the Khinerai are $45.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
witch elves/sisters of slaughter are a more recent dual kit that also happened to be an elite unit for dark elves pre-aos tho? and youre getting double the models compared to the medusas and harpies. a better comparison would be the warlocks, a 5 cav box for 35, compared to 5 snake women for 50

you can try to pretend that their kit prices arent going up, but youre only fooling yourself

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I'm interested in getting into AoS with the new 2.0 rules coming out but have no idea where to begin. A while ago I got talked in to getting a copy of Silver Tower so I have all those models, but that's it.

I know the new boxed set is probably a great place to start, but I am not super interested in the armor mens and the ghost people only marginally interest me. Is there any reason not to just pick up the START COLLECTING box for a faction I'm actually excited to paint and play, even with 2.0 coming out?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Quidthulhu posted:

I'm interested in getting into AoS with the new 2.0 rules coming out but have no idea where to begin. A while ago I got talked in to getting a copy of Silver Tower so I have all those models, but that's it.

I know the new boxed set is probably a great place to start, but I am not super interested in the armor mens and the ghost people only marginally interest me. Is there any reason not to just pick up the START COLLECTING box for a faction I'm actually excited to paint and play, even with 2.0 coming out?

A Start Collecting box and the hardcover rulebook together is still going to come in under the box set. Unless you care about the dice and ruler enough to get that and sell the models to offset the cost, I think you’d be fine just getting what you really want.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Quidthulhu posted:

That's fine. The SC boxes are all good deals, although as it is some factions are certainly worse than others because :GW: and some stuff just has not been updated properly.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

The only SC box I would recommend against is Greenskinz. The faction doesn’t have a battletome, the units aren’t great and the rest of the line is only available online.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

witch elves/sisters of slaughter are a more recent dual kit that also happened to be an elite unit for dark elves pre-aos tho? and youre getting double the models compared to the medusas and harpies. a better comparison would be the warlocks, a 5 cav box for 35, compared to 5 snake women for 50

you can try to pretend that their kit prices arent going up, but youre only fooling yourself

"Elite" infantry that was able to be taken as basic troops, that were still fragile so you practically needed to take them in units of 15-20, and I believe they could be taken as troops with the right HQ?
Granted they were obscene when they came out, and still kinda obscene now.

Though who could forget the blood knight vampires that are 5 for 100.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

If you can swing it, buy the 2.0 box set when it comes out and sell off the ghosts and Stormcasts. You should be able to get around $80 for each, and that will leave you with a free rulebook.

I'd say that the core rules will probably be free again, but you'll want the extra stuff with the rulebook this time around, since it looks like there is actual content versus the v1 "rulebook."

(An alternate solution would be to buy the digital rulebook which should be coming out as well.)

LordAba posted:

Though who could forget the blood knight vampires that are 5 for 100.
But Dragon Blades are 1/3rd of that price and make better Blood Knights!

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 8, 2018

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

If you can swing it, buy the 2.0 box set when it comes out and sell off the ghosts and Stormcasts. You should be able to get around $80 for each, and that will leave you with a free rulebook.

I'd say that the core rules will probably be free again, but you'll want the extra stuff with the rulebook this time around, since it looks like there is actual content versus the v1 "rulebook."

(An alternate solution would be to buy the digital rulebook which should be coming out as well.)

Depending on how well the box set sells though, you need to be OK with only getting $50 per side. It didn’t take long at all for Dark Imperium armies to hit that price.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
A right proppa story today, lads.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Shadin posted:

Depending on how well the box set sells though, you need to be OK with only getting $50 per side. It didn’t take long at all for Dark Imperium armies to hit that price.

Maybe it's because the Sigmar starters are old, but I had a hell of a time getting the Stormcast half of that box for under 60. I just recently lucked out and got two halves shipped for around ~100.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Maybe it's because the Sigmar starters are old, but I had a hell of a time getting the Stormcast half of that box for under 60. I just recently lucked out and got two halves shipped for around ~100.

Yeah demand could be entirely different too. The AoS halves could go for more I just wouldn’t want someone to blow the money if it means they can’t get the rest of what they want unless they get X price. Should be able to see within a couple of days of launch which way the wind is blowing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Is it just me, or is the Warscroll Builder miserable to use? The frigging race/faction breakouts really make it hard to add units to an army. Is Azyr any better?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 8, 2018

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is it just me, or is the Warscroll Builder miserable to use? The frigging race/faction breakouts really make it hard to add units to an army. Is Azyr any better?

the Azyr builder is better. Gives you all available options for your chosen allegiance in each slot and a button to view available allies if you aren’t using the whole Grand Alliance as your allegiance. Also lets you quickly view the warscrolls while building and you can add the whole army to the “My Battle” tab of the warscroll section for quick viewing.

You have to pay $0.99 / month to use it but it’s easily worth it if you’re actively playing.

If the 40k builder app ends up being as good as Azyr I’d probably end up with 3 armies in that game too. I loathe BattleScribe.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Danimo posted:

the Azyr builder is better. Gives you all available options for your chosen allegiance in each slot and a button to view available allies if you aren’t using the whole Grand Alliance as your allegiance. Also lets you quickly view the warscrolls while building and you can add the whole army to the “My Battle” tab of the warscroll section for quick viewing.

You have to pay $0.99 / month to use it but it’s easily worth it if you’re actively playing.

If the 40k builder app ends up being as good as Azyr I’d probably end up with 3 armies in that game too. I loathe BattleScribe.
Cool. It's $1.49 a month now though. GW inflation has kicked in. :(

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

The old aelves got lumped together for a big faction focus:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/08/8th-june-mega-faction-focus-aelvesgw-homepage-post-3/

It feels like the elf factions are just dedicated allies or fluff armies until they decide to either flesh them out like DoK or do a Battletome: Free Cities

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah. I kind of wish this thing had said that a few of them were being merged into one another.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
So I'm actually starting my first AoS at, and I'm going to build a Tzeentch army inspired by Pan's Labyrinth. Got my first stage done on the Gaunt Summoner I picked up.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That's rad as hell, Gaunt Summoner always gave me some vibes of that angel from Hellboy 2.

... god del Toro would make a cool looking Ham movie.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Lmao this is a darn good short story.

Orkz is best.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
whats an ork :confused:

do you mean an oooururrojouk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish they'd use the old names as well as the copyright ones. Do characters still say imperial guard at the very least when in casual conversation?

• Locked thread