Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah true, anything you have to grab whole, i think I’d rather use chopsticks. The only thing they really suck for is rice imo, ironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

boner confessor posted:

and junk food. the superior way to eat potato chips is with chopsticks
OK, I'll be the one who posts it:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
flatware phrenologists

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Fine I'll post the other thing

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Koramei posted:

Yeah true, anything you have to grab whole, i think I’d rather use chopsticks. The only thing they really suck for is rice imo, ironically

Either you're using the wrong rice, it should be somewhat sticky and easily clump together, or you should be eating it out of a bowl and just using the chopsticks to shovel it into your mouth.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

In red are marked countries where discussion of utensils is considered at least marginally interesting.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 7, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
E^ oh come on, at least it’s not midwestern drainage infrastructure discussion or someshit

I mean I’m able to eat rice with chopsticks, I just think a fork works better. Or spoon; Koreans supplement the chopsticks with them today but apparently way back when, Japanese and Chinese people used to as well, but dropped them for reasons that are inexplicable to me. Chopsticks + spoon can conquer almost any dish, I’d maybe even take it over a knife and fork if it wouldn’t make me look like a massive idiot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan posted:

In red are marked countries where discussion of utensils is considered at least marginally interesting.
Politically loaded because Debrett's exists.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

steinrokkan posted:

What the hell is up with this map? Why are the borders in places like Congo, Brazil, China and India so wonky?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

When I'm eating at my place I use chopsticks all the time. You can actually use the chopsticks to pin down a piece of meat while using a knife to cut it.

e: ^^^ they look fine to me?

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 7, 2018

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Because they follow rivers, watersheds and so forth
:D ;)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Frionnel posted:

What the hell is up with this map? Why are the borders in places like Congo, Brazil, China and India so wonky?

That map is a normal, unmodified map of all the worlds' countries borders, and then their major internal states. It's not one of those of those trick maps with subtle errors that people often post here. That's... just how the world looks if you highlight political boundaries.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frionnel posted:

It's the default wiki map. What specifically is wrong? Unless you mean that it conflates federal states and unitary countries' administrative regions as being the same thing, which is my pet peeve with this sort of map design.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 7, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

icantfindaname posted:

I don’t actually think chopsticks are good, just that Asian food beats Eurofood

Defining Eurofood as Northern Europe is pretty unfair though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Time to remind people that the entirety of Northern Europe has fewer people than some German sub-states, so maybe that region isn't all that representative of anything.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

True, but German food is also crap, aside from some cured meats that are still inferior to Polish, let alone Spanish efforts. Benelux, Germany, UK, Ireland, all trash cuisines unfit for human consumption.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
German food is glorious.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

German food is glorious.

it's an inferior version of korean food mostly. cured meats and pickled vegetables? cmon

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 7, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, German food has pletny to do with Korea... what?

Also you are fundamentally wrong.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

Also you are fundamentally wrong.

if you take all the heat out of korean food and cut the bacon thinner it becomes german food

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I assume you've never seen German food in your life.

Also heat is not a universal positive, it's just something goons love to emphasize as they have destroyed their taste buds.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

I assume you've never seen German food in your life.

i have, usually in th ebathroom about twelve hours after i eat korean bbq

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

boner confessor posted:

i have, usually in th ebathroom about twelve hours after i eat korean bbq

whoah, hardcore online own, ur too cool for this forum, have you considered reddit?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

whoah, hardcore online own, ur too cool for this forum, have you considered reddit?

if i wanted to read reddit posts id go to a german restaurant and look at the menu

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

boner confessor posted:

if i wanted to read reddit posts id go to a german restaurant and look at the menu

It's hosed up that you would call Reddit refined, sophisticated and delicious.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I got no problem with German food. Kebab is great

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

Time to remind people that the entirety of Northern Europe has fewer people than some German sub-states, so maybe that region isn't all that representative of anything.

Sounds like a call for a population cartogram of Europe.

Unfortunately, that one is only of the EU, so there are holes where countries such as Norway or Switzerland should be.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Frionnel posted:

Perhaps you are just unfamiliar with the Robinson projection? It is actually most accurate around the equator so Congo and Brazil will have relatively little shape distortion

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Saladman posted:

That map is a normal, unmodified map of all the worlds' countries borders, and then their major internal states. It's not one of those of those trick maps with subtle errors that people often post here. That's... just how the world looks if you highlight political boundaries.

The internal provincial borders are weird squiggly lines and clearly not accurate

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Germans stole their food from Koreans after the Hyperwar keep up

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Peanut President posted:

Germans stole their food from Koreans after the Hyperwar keep up

German food definitely has its roots in the Hwan Empire

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

The internal provincial borders are weird squiggly lines and clearly not accurate

Everything I see is more or less accurate? Like edges are rounded and tapered more and don't represent the exact boundary, but literally every country in the entire world is drawn like that so it's internally consistent. I don't think it's meant to be a map so precise that you could set national borders based on it. I think people's eyes are just drawn to it as an error because all the "straight line" divisions look fine, and straight line division provinces tend to be the biggest ones in the world thanks to US/Canada/Australia/Sahara/Greenland. If you zoom in really far, you'll notice the borders in Europe are just as wonky as the ones in DRC and China. I don't know enough about SVGs to know if there is some technical reason (e.g. hard to open a map if it has 1000000000 anchor points for every border precisely drawn) or if it was just done for the sake of time and simplicity.

I mean, the country borders are also approximated and simplified. If you zoom in on the SVG 10000x on the north Bangladesh-India border, you don't see the nightmare patchwork chessboard that it actually is in real life, but instead you see something kind of sane.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spoeank posted:

German food definitely has its roots in the Hwan Empire

Those lousy Southerners better be ready for when the Nephilim return :finland:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

German food is good but after a week in Germany I would've murdered someone for a vegetable.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Potatoes and cabbage are veggies too :colbert:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

System Metternich posted:

Potatoes and cabbage are veggies too :colbert:

Don't forget beetroot and miscellaneous steamed vegetables like carrots and onions.

German food is certainly "filling" but there's a reason you never see German cuisine restaurants outside of Germany, unless they're themed restaurants where the waiters wear lederhosen and dirndls and serve you large beer steins. Mediterranean European traditional food sure has a gently caress-ton more variety than anything north of the Alps (minus France).

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I can't believe Belgium is being thrown in the lot with "Benelux". Belgium is a Latin country, you can see it in our food and in our politics!!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Sounds like a call for a population cartogram of Europe.

Unfortunately, that one is only of the EU, so there are holes where countries such as Norway or Switzerland should be.

brittane looks like a fat bunny gremlin trying to gobble up Ireland. A Good Map.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Saladman posted:

Don't forget beetroot and miscellaneous steamed vegetables like carrots and onions.

German food is certainly "filling" but there's a reason you never see German cuisine restaurants outside of Germany, unless they're themed restaurants where the waiters wear lederhosen and dirndls and serve you large beer steins. Mediterranean European traditional food sure has a gently caress-ton more variety than anything north of the Alps (minus France).

You might not find many German restaurants, but German bakeries are everywhere in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

Mediterranean European traditional food sure has a gently caress-ton more variety than anything north of the Alps (minus France).
Are you sure? Like, how do you measure this variety?

Honj Steak posted:

You might not find many German restaurants, but German bakeries are everywhere in the world.
Yeah, when talking cuisine, you really have to explore the entire spectrum.