Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did the expansion add any hats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I would love to see Empire get a Legitimacy system, with say a 1-1000 scale where various actions and dilemmas raise or lower Legitimacy.

Low Legitimacy can trigger events that cause previously confederated/conquered empire territory to revert back to former Empire control. High Legitimacy gives passive boosts to trade, confederation, public order, etc. While you can sit on these bonuses, you could also spend Legitimacy on several things :

Cede existing territories back to original owners to gain Legitimacy or spend Legitimacy to annex territories from allies (useful if Angrund surreptitiously grabs Pfieldorf from you or something)

Supercharge one of your offices to get an enhanced effect for X turns.

Boost exp gain of lords/heroes.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Boksi posted:

From my limited experience, you should always outnumber the enemy. Never use one army when you can use two, skavenslaves are hilariously cheap so who cares if they get mulched? Make sure to use some actual damage-dealers too and don't worry about friendly fire.

Skavenslaves are great chaff for throwing at much better units. Large expendable units that tie down and exhaust units, break and rally easily so you can keep throwing them back into the fight. All the while your artillery is pounding away, and you can summon fresh units of clan rats into the back of exhausted enemy units.

Some of my favourite skaven single player battles were a stack of nothing but skavenslaves versus smaller more elite half stacks.

Sure, the enemy lizardman general killed 300 skaven slaves personally. Still lost.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

It'd be better if agents could do it on their own.

This is the obvious solution, yes, especially since the text seems to imply a small exploring group instead of a loving army.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

It'd be better if agents could do it on their own.

Ravenfood posted:

This is the obvious solution, yes, especially since the text seems to imply a small exploring group instead of a loving army.

I never understood why it isn't the case that agents can explore ruins.

Now that I think about it, there is probably a large chance that they couldn't get heroes to both have the action to scout ruins and treasure hunt in ruins, causing it to crash the game or something, so they split it up into lords and heroes and made it worthless.

I'm guessing there is no chance to mod it into a hero action, is there?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lurksion posted:

So legendary campaigns are screwed if this happens then?

Legendary is screwed regardless because who the gently caress even considers clicking on a video game difficulty called “legendary”

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I don't think I've ever gotten anything from a treasure hunt in this game, not even once.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Skavenslaves are great chaff for throwing at much better units. Large expendable units that tie down and exhaust units, break and rally easily so you can keep throwing them back into the fight. All the while your artillery is pounding away, and you can summon fresh units of clan rats into the back of exhausted enemy units.

Some of my favourite skaven single player battles were a stack of nothing but skavenslaves versus smaller more elite half stacks.

Sure, the enemy lizardman general killed 300 skaven slaves personally. Still lost.

Having a second army full of chaff just following your proper army as Skaven is a legit tactic (though on higher difficulties it's still expensive because of the supply lines thing). And you can stack up enough replenishment bonuses on your ranked lords that down the line you can even treat your Stormvermin as expendable to a certain extent.

I often found Skaven breaking easily to almost be to my advantage, especially combined with their speed buff when broken, which helps them rally quickly, then you just throw them back into the fight from a new angle. One of my most fun battles was against Kroq-Gar's Saurus bros and some dinosaurs using an army of mostly Skaven chaff and a couple of catapults, it lasted for a long rear end time with the Saurus army just becoming eventually worn down, isolated and destroyed by a never ending tide of rats.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I like the Chaff Army strategy too. It's also nice to try to level up more lords. It's also really cool to see hundreds of Rats swarming over the walls of a castle tying up Defenders as the main force arrives as reinforcements.

Treasure Hunting needs to be overhauled. Really it needs to at least be on par with sea treasure (which is all great, by the way. You can make a fortune by just having a lord sailing around grabbing loot). Rather than fixed dilemmas just have minor encounters and sea treasure type loot and army bonuses.

To give Scouting more use, why not have scouting also do the following: A scouted ruin gets a 'scouted' buff for two turns. If you colonize the ruin, you instantly get a T1 settlement and don't expend as much troops or money colonizing. Enemies trying to colonize a scouted ruin get penalties to build time having to deal with traps/sabotage. If a Lord Treasure Hunts a scouted ruin, you receive bonus money/rarity artifacts/exp/buff duration.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Skaven should have a different penalty than supply lines IMO. They should be rewarded for having millions of chaff and fewer elites instead of the other way around.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Legendary is screwed regardless because who the gently caress even considers clicking on a video game difficulty called “legendary”

Probably if the other difficulties are too easy? At the very least, Halo on legendary could be a lot of fun!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah the keys to skaven are lots of chaff, lots of artillery. Friendly fire isn't that big a deal because ultimately a single dead elf is worth more to you than ten dead rats are to them.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
So I've never played as the high elves before, but now am well into an Alarielle ME campaign. The problem is, I don't really know what a good army makeup is. I'm tempted by all of the most expensive dudes, but that earlier screenshot of Tyrion with a billion sea guard has made me wonder if I should change things up too. Is her ideal army makeup different? I feel like I'd really be losing out if I didn't have any sisters of Avelorn.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gaussian posted:

So I've never played as the high elves before, but now am well into an Alarielle ME campaign. The problem is, I don't really know what a good army makeup is. I'm tempted by all of the most expensive dudes, but that earlier screenshot of Tyrion with a billion sea guard has made me wonder if I should change things up too. Is her ideal army makeup different? I feel like I'd really be losing out if I didn't have any sisters of Avelorn.

Sea guard are worse at shooting, but much less vulnerable to getting flanked by cav or other stuff. They can also rush into melee if needed or when they run out of ammo. Sisters are amazing against expensive units in general. A typical high-tier army could be something like 4 phoenix guard, 4 swordmasters, 4 sisters/sea guard, 2 bolt throwers, 3-4 dragon princes, 2-3 treemen and your lord + caster. You could cut 1 bolt thrower and throw in some tree kin for more tankyness.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dramicus posted:

Sea guard are worse at shooting, but much less vulnerable to getting flanked by cav or other stuff. They can also rush into melee if needed or when they run out of ammo. Sisters are amazing against expensive units in general. A typical high-tier army could be something like 4 phoenix guard, 4 swordmasters, 4 sisters/sea guard, 2 bolt throwers, 3-4 dragon princes, 2-3 treemen and your lord + caster. You could cut 1 bolt thrower and throw in some tree kin for more tankyness.

That's a horrifically expensive army, you could get comparable results with

6 Treekin
4 Sisters
2 Phoenix Guard
4 Elyrian Reaver Archers
2 Phoenix/Dragon/Treeman
Lord and caster

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

That's a horrifically expensive army, you could get comparable results with

6 Treekin
4 Sisters
2 Phoenix Guard
4 Elyrian Reaver Archers
2 Phoenix/Dragon/Treeman
Lord and caster

I've never had money problems, I usually have 6 or so of those armies running around. Just make sure to take the -upkeep skill on your general. Also, your list might have some trouble against a chosen heavy stack or the skaven vortex stacks with loads of storm vermin and warp cannons.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Dramicus posted:

I've never had money problems, I usually have 6 or so of those armies running around. Just make sure to take the -upkeep skill on your general. Also, your list might have some trouble against a chosen heavy stack or the skaven vortex stacks with loads of storm vermin and warp cannons.
This is way too expensive for very hard or legendary imo.

I'm running in generic armies
1 Lord
1 Caster (varies)
1 Handmaiden
6 Sisters
4 Seaguard
3 Infantry of some sort
3 Treekin
1 Artillery

Seaguards on the edges. Infantry and treekin only exist to tank. I tend to use max width spread out slightly to cover ~4 "unit length" width with treekin stacked on top to provide the backbone to prevent penetration. Sisters actually are better in melee than seaguard except against large so I would take more if you know you aren't facing cav.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 8, 2018

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Senor Dog posted:

Skaven should have a different penalty than supply lines IMO. They should be rewarded for having millions of chaff and fewer elites instead of the other way around.

Skaven units should increase in upkeep the longer they’re alive and refund food when killed imo

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Plagueclaw catipalts. A handful of units to stand in front. 8x can win just about any battle even at VH/L levels, they are just unholy good. Queek can start ez with 6x pults 1x cannon and some skaven slingers and clanrats, to which you can take Karak Eight peaks if you want it's so strong.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

So, I had a bit of a mod conflict. I was playing Elf Queen and around the same time that i pulled the murder sword out i noticed that not a single one of my heroes or lords was gaining xp. I assumed that this was a negative side effect of wielding the sword, which, I think, would be terrible game design. After about ten turns without being able to put the sword down, I quit for the evening thinking "what a stupid mechanic."
Today I started a dwarf game to try out their forging mechanic and about seven turns in I realized I hadn't leveled up my Lord. I still wasn't gaining xp.
Yup. I think the respec lord mod broke it because I had also confederated angry elf around that time and had just respecced him. And then I think leveling was all over for everybody.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
How does the Archeon trigger actually work? Can I get it just by burning a fuckload of cities down? I'm playing as Tyrion, I've got Ulthuan under my total control, and I want to ruin Malkeith's day without actually taking his terrible cities. Can I get Archeon to show up if I just burn all the dark elves' poo poo to the ground?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
If I get level 1 in a Norscan god, will I lose it if I start razing for another god?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

How does the Archeon trigger actually work? Can I get it just by burning a fuckload of cities down? I'm playing as Tyrion, I've got Ulthuan under my total control, and I want to ruin Malkeith's day without actually taking his terrible cities. Can I get Archeon to show up if I just burn all the dark elves' poo poo to the ground?

What's terrible about his cities? They're in green climate and a bunch have unique buildings you can build

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

SHISHKABOB posted:

If I get level 1 in a Norscan god, will I lose it if I start razing for another god?

Yes, if you go back below 30 god points, you lose the tier benefit. Also, when you get a god to tier 3, you lose all benefits from the other gods.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

What's terrible about his cities? They're in green climate and a bunch have unique buildings you can build
There's posters for lovely emo bands everywhere.

I dunno man, humour me.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Yes, if you go back below 30 god points, you lose the tier benefit. Also, when you get a god to tier 3, you lose all benefits from the other gods.

Unless it’s changed in 2, you actually keep the benefits of other gods when you max one out, as long as it wouldn’t drop you below the threshold. The system itself is locked after that point so you can’t build any more favour though.

Made sure I’d have the neat replenishment bonus from uh Nurgle? before I finished Khorne’s line recently.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Trying out Ungrim's new start, and I have a couple thoughts:

-It is cool that you get Slayers right out of the gate, though it does make me wish Slayer Ward did more than just give -8% upkeep. While this does mean Ungrim's Slayers will have -33% upkeep (good) you churn through them pretty fast anyway. It would've been even more useful if it was like -8% upkeep and +8% replenishment for Slayers. Then when you unlock Doomseekers on Ungrim you can replace losses really fast so that those Pyrrhic victories are less debilitating.

-In TW1 Karak Kadrin had a Brewery but in TW2 for some reason they removed it. With the new crafting system it would have been nice to have that Brewery still present; the combo of growth, public order, income, and trade good would be nice to have starting out, since you'll be dealing with a lot of corruption and start in a two-territory province which means getting Karak Kadrin to tier V takes even longer.

-The original Runecrafting mod that preceeded the current system had included banners in the form of Runes, and I wish this one retained that concept because they could have used it to give units great synergies (Slayers dealing fire damage, for example).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Twigand Berries posted:

Make a save right now where it's broken and then load that save, the event should pop up.

You can't save, it's grayed out and unclickable.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Trying out Ungrim's new start, and I have a couple thoughts:

-It is cool that you get Slayers right out of the gate, though it does make me wish Slayer Ward did more than just give -8% upkeep. While this does mean Ungrim's Slayers will have -33% upkeep (good) you churn through them pretty fast anyway. It would've been even more useful if it was like -8% upkeep and +8% replenishment for Slayers. Then when you unlock Doomseekers on Ungrim you can replace losses really fast so that those Pyrrhic victories are less debilitating.

-In TW1 Karak Kadrin had a Brewery but in TW2 for some reason they removed it. With the new crafting system it would have been nice to have that Brewery still present; the combo of growth, public order, income, and trade good would be nice to have starting out, since you'll be dealing with a lot of corruption and start in a two-territory province which means getting Karak Kadrin to tier V takes even longer.

-The original Runecrafting mod that preceeded the current system had included banners in the form of Runes, and I wish this one retained that concept because they could have used it to give units great synergies (Slayers dealing fire damage, for example).

I think beer comes from a normal building you can put everywhere now.

Dongattack posted:

You can't save, it's grayed out and unclickable.

Can you quick save (ctrl-s)?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Senor Dog posted:

Can you quick save (ctrl-s)?

Nope! But i fixed it now, i noticed that i could end the turn which i never even thought to check assuming that surely i couldn't do THAT. But i could and whatever the event was i'll never know.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Oh right, the public order building now makes beer, I forgot about that.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Chaos invasions start sooner now, but the way to play ME is still with that mod that just removes them from the game completley cause Chaos sucks major balls. It's still a bunch of lame stacks filled with chaos knights and hellcannons and they still turn a good chunk of the map into wasteland, which is no fun.

CA needs to stop doing invasions as endgame. It sucked in Atilla, it sucked in WH1/2, and it sucks in ToB.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1005079064087027712

quote:

What's this? Something has awaken in the depths and is becoming restless...

If owners of The Queen & The Crone DLC wish to discover this monstrous secret, the Dark Elves must spill enough blood to fill the dark chalice.

Battle in Total War: WARHAMMER II - for the Druchii!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i aint doing poo poo for elfs of any achromatic value

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Not even killing other elves??!?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

the big map is too dense. it shocked the hell out of me when they released the me map and there was still 6 useless, identical provinces in the badlands, and way too much poo poo up north

For Warhammer 3, they really should basically remake the map. Currently there's so many odd decisions built into it. Norsca and the Wastelands both have way too many settlements, both are more densely populated then the Empire. Meanwhile there's mountains in Brettonia that should have hordes of Orcs living there but have nothing instead.

What I really wish though, is for them to go back to the Shogun 2 style of settlements. The Major/Minor settlement system, that they started with Rome 2, was a massive step down and every title since has failed to improve it much. I wish they'd just stop trying to make it work and go with what already did. The WH2 campaign would be so much better if there were fewer but more important settlements and resources/smaller-towns were physical locations on the map outside of settlements.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SickZip posted:

For Warhammer 3, they really should basically remake the map. Currently there's so many odd decisions built into it. Norsca and the Wastelands both have way too many settlements, both are more densely populated then the Empire. Meanwhile there's mountains in Brettonia that should have hordes of Orcs living there but have nothing instead.

What I really wish though, is for them to go back to the Shogun 2 style of settlements. The Major/Minor settlement system, that they started with Rome 2, was a massive step down and every title since has failed to improve it much. I wish they'd just stop trying to make it work and go with what already did. The WH2 campaign would be so much better if there were fewer but more important settlements and resources/smaller-towns were physical locations on the map outside of settlements.

If they make every city some mega walled capital, I’m never playing like 2/3 of the factions again so I hope they don’t do that (I never played shogun 2 is that how it was?)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Senor Dog posted:

If they make every city some mega walled capital, I’m never playing like 2/3 of the factions again so I hope they don’t do that (I never played shogun 2 is that how it was?)

japan doesn't understand castles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Shogun 2 was one of the best games for sieges imo.

Garrisons were small and weak so didn't give a major advantage, it took away the need for siege equipment (which was a big bonus for me), and even on the biggest castle maps you usually had three angles to attack from (as opposed to Warhammer's single big wall or two smooshed into the back of the map).