Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Regarde Aduck posted:

This has to be on purpose. Not one person thought the giant plug hole was weird.

Syd said nothing and just helped the rabbit.
More specifically: a white rabbit came out of a hole and then Syd fell down the rabbit hole into a strange new world. I'm surprised she didn't find a mad hatter or cheshire cat down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Syd's reactions to Melanie came across as drugged/sluggish, like she'd been put on medication or otherwise been impaired and was struggling to operate mentally/put things together. I think that was deliberate, especially the way Melanie got in close/was brushing her hair towards the end, she was basically having her head hosed with on a subconscious level beneath the surface level of what Melanie (Farouk) was telling her. You could see there were points she was trying to say something didn't make sense or to ask a question about something more relevant than *relationship drama* but she couldn't quite get there. By the time Melanie left her, she was completely caught up in the spell and was just sitting there watching whatever the screens were showing, and had stopped asking the very relevant question of "How am I being shown these things?" that she asked Melanie multiple times initially.

i kind of take that to be the reason that Syd just attacks the Minotaur despite not really being the person who should try to beat up monsters. maybe she'll snap out of it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Good point, thanks. Still though, overall, the show has been extremely... isolated this year.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

that episode felt rather jumbled for me

I don't know, there is just the season finale to go and there wasn't a plot clinch in sight, like an earlier goon posted I got a strong "this might turn out to be a big stinker of an ending" vibe here haha

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm struck by a weird feeling when reading a post that can be summed up as "the episode before the season finale didn't wrap anything up" and somehow that's a bad thing? :psyduck: That's... what the finale is for.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Strobe posted:

I'm struck by a weird feeling when reading a post that can be summed up as "the episode before the season finale didn't wrap anything up" and somehow that's a bad thing? :psyduck: That's... what the finale is for.

You know, I used to think this but in recent times I’ve actually felt many shows do a big “pull the curtain back” reveal on the penultimate ep. and then resolve the conflict that is fully laid bare on the finale, as well as present a bit of next season’s arc at the end.

[Ed] also, I think the concern specifically with Legion is that there’s so loving much to resolve/explain/etc... that one so won’t really cut it.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 7, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Farouk finally getting his body back didn't tick that box for you?

I guess I'm mostly perplexed by how not doing what a lot of shows have done recently is a mark on the checklist of 'bad season ending'.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Strobe posted:

Farouk finally getting his body back didn't tick that box for you?

I guess I'm mostly perplexed by how not doing what a lot of shows have done recently is a mark on the checklist of 'bad season ending'.

Tick what box? Resolving/explaining why *everything* is so weird? Not really. It was good, though.

And see my edit. This show doesn’t have to follow norms. I just think there’s a fuckton to explain or reveal and not much time left to address it.

Doesn’t make me like the show any less...

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Farouk is back in his body, David is questioning himself after being tricked into doing a horrible thing and finding himself liking that, his girlfriend apparently has lost faith in him, everyone from Division 3 is in pretty big danger, and David might not be strong enough to defeat the Shadow King in his body.

It set up a lot. Though I was half expecting that last shot of the Shadow King to be interrupted with Lenny shooting him in the head.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I mean, maybe if it was a series finale next week I'd be sharing the concern. But it's not, so expecting all of that to be resolved and wrapped up seems... unrealistic, even for a show less complicated.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
hot take: legion is such a weird show because it's a weird show and the weirdness is mainly for its own sake and not because there is some straightforward reasoning for everything

which is good, you don't get such great stylistic weirdness on tv anywhere else + it's why the show appeals so much to me

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh it certainly had stuff happen. I guess I’m just in that faction of people who wants to see the fantastical explained. The guy who wants to know WHY 2% of the population vanished in Leftovers, or what the gently caress was going on in LOST (which got to the end and then had a huge stinking wet fart.)

Tar chicken, floating hands, how weird Division 3 is, drain plugs in the desert, no one EVER being surprised by anything, etc etc...

I’m just the type that would prefer this wasn’t totally overlooked or hand-waved. But I’m still enjoying it for what it’s been so far, even if it does feel a little arthaus self-indulgent at times.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Strobe posted:

Naaah, it is just by this point things are more or less advanced in order to make the most of the story's payload, you know?

That the shadow king was getting his body back was pretty much a given, but to address a specific, I felt that it was rather demurring and repetitive that yet again David, Syd et al went full speed ahead into traps that, while of course not obvious to the characters, seems rather so to the audience

or to put it in another way: watching David chasing his own tail for most of the season without any significant "wins" (so to speak) and going for every bait hook line and sinker repeatedly without (at least for me) good plot developments to make them worthwhile are kinda jarring and leave a lot to wrap by the end of it

Which, by the way, was this supposed to be the last episode before there was the announcement that this season was getting one more?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

dead comedy forums posted:

Which, by the way, was this supposed to be the last episode before there was the announcement that this season was getting one more?

Yeah, I think I'd have given up on the show if it had ended at this point. It's been a meandering and slow all season, and an ending at a point of so little purpose would have lost me. Build to a climax guys, not an inevitability.

(This episode, ironically, proved that the show could do that if it wanted to. It just, apparently, does not. Hopefully they'll build on this momentum next week.)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

dead comedy forums posted:

This episode in its current form would never have been the season finale, they probably just couldn't bring themselves to fit it all into a single ep and expanded it to two. For example, a substantial amount of this episode was Melanie and Syd having a repetitive conversation in an empty, barely-decorated room while watching clips from previous episodes and those segments were probably much shorter in the initial cut. Same goes for all the shots of David taking a power drill to Oliver against various backdrops, of Kerry fighting the infinite monks, of the infinite monks slowly swinging their bolas, etc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could watch Kerry beat up infinite monks for an entire episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Really? I thought the fight scene was a disappointment. I thought the choreography was good but man I hate slow mo. (better than shaky cam, I will give them credit)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Really? I thought the fight scene was a disappointment. I thought the choreography was good but man I hate slow mo. (better than shaky cam, I will give them credit)

The thing that killed it for me was the incredibly slow leadup to the hand to hand stuff. We get it, they're using the bolas as bullroarers. Sound bad. can we move on please?

In my mind, the choreography was particularly impressive because it was the first time I've been able to buy Kerry as a legit fighter, rather than as an overexitable kid who gets shot a lot (Season 1 fight) or unimpressively OP (the alternate universe episode where she slices David in twain). She was good, and she was robbed of victory by that clown car plug hole.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Seeing Lenny and Cary casually having a chat after the combat encounter might have been the best part of the episode for me. Well okay, Lenny casually wielding a sniper rifle like it's no big thang (stored in Mary Poppins' beauty case no less) is probably the bestest part of the episode.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I want to love this show but this season just has not been very good. I love Farouk but they havent done much interesting with him. The other characters are dull as dishwater

David is just reacting to stuff, his girlfriend mostly just seems indifferent or bored and the others are barely worth mentioning

The best part of season 1, Aubrey Plaza, is barely in the show

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Kerry's way more interesting when she's learning about eating and being human, I wish the show had more of that than her bad fight scenes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah, she could do with having a more prominent role in the show, she's currently stuck somewhere between primary cast and background character, simply because the writers haven't used her more. I hope this is changing.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

You know how future-Syd was missing her arm? It looked like present-Syd was wearing the same outfit when she was stuck with Melanie. Also a couple of scenes with her arms crossed over her body where, because of the black dress and one black glove, it breaks her figure like she's in pieces. And more of the "X imagery" that's been going on all show. I think her remaining glove is on the same arm that the future one's missing. Foreshadowing?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I kind of assumed the arm would be gone by the end of this episode. The Minotaur might take it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm really enjoying this season vOv

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I was half expecting her to swap into the minotaur.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I expected the Minotaur to be some kind of stand-in for somebody or something we knew, and not, just, like, a minotaur that lives in a maze. I guess that could still happen but I'm enjoying how blase they are about it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

flatluigi posted:

hot take: legion is such a weird show because it's a weird show and the weirdness is mainly for its own sake and not because there is some straightforward reasoning for everything

which is good, you don't get such great stylistic weirdness on tv anywhere else + it's why the show appeals so much to me

its like amateur hour compared to twin peaks s3

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can watch Amber Midthunder beat up people forever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nevvy Z posted:

I was half expecting her to swap into the minotaur.

I was fully expecting her to pull off the glove before she punched it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Didn't it choke her at the end? Skin to skin contact is skin to skin contact.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Medullah posted:

The wheels have fully come off in the writers room and they’re as much a part of this train careening off a cliff as we are. :allears:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Medullah posted:

She can only touch David in a dream. :tinfoil:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I can watch Amber Midthunder beat up people forever.

Wait, her name is Midthunder? That's a goddamn cool name.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

double nine posted:

Wait, her name is Midthunder? That's a goddamn cool name.

She's part Sioux.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm loving this show but man that Kerry fight scene was atrocious. If you're going to have a fight scene where no one knows how to fake a fight, definitely don't slow it down and show us how bad they are at it.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

allthe actionthis season has been bad

at least season 1 had the cool escape

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I don't know what it's building to but the whole season's focus on bodily disassociation and trauma has been weirdly compelling. The Amy/Lenny hybrid, Potonomy losing his body, Farouk searching for his, Oliver and Melanie becoming physical pawns, Cary and Kerry unable to reconnect, Syd's arm, everything involving Fukuyama. I'm sure there's more. Weirdly David seems the least affected on a physical level throughout the whole season.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

She can only touch David in a dream. :tinfoil:

I thought everything in the pit was assumed to be Melody's mind. When David went into her mind it was a (text-based) maze he had to navigate. And isn't that where we first see the minotaur as well? I'm assuming this is her power/mindscape somehow. Maybe the Shadow King is using her as a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, I watched through this show this week. Mostly because I've heard Plaza was in it. She certainly didn't disappoint.
But to be honest, the last few episodes have been a bit directionless without a lot going on. There are some fun visuals, but there isn't really a lot of meat in the story for a while.

Of course, I started to watch at a weird time, one week before the season finale, but I can't really claim to be excited for it. Season 1 felt a lot better.