Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nathan Fielder just uploaded a 12 min thing to YouTube. I’m watching hockey so I’ve not seen it, by it’s likely to be good so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs_eQQZEZRY
Oh my god, once again Nathan Fielder is a goddamn genius hahahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
This weeks unexpected telly delight: Nick Frost wielding an octopus as improvised nunchaku.

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016
I just finished Impulse. It's definitely better than the trailer makes it out to be. It's very similar to Bates Motel in tone and overall production value. As far as the plot, there's a lot going on and I can't really get into it without spoilers. I'll just say "most" of it works. And the stuff that bothered me was over before it became a real issue.

Anyway, the first 3 episodes are free and that's more than enough to know if it's worth finishing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

poo poo https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1005047895358365696

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Came here to post. Terrible news. Remember, always try and seek out help if you can.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Completely shocked. I read his Kitchen Confidential book like a dozen times.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is incredibly distressing and depressing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Man this sucks. Bourdain has always inspired me to live life to the fullest. Now this...awful.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The fact that Eric Ripert found him just absolutely guts me. Dammit Tony. :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nate fisher posted:

Man this sucks. Bourdain has always inspired me to live life to the fullest.

Hows that going, Mr. 14 years on TVIV

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

dude

I don’t know anything about this guy besides that he was a chef and what he looked like but gently caress, between this and Kate Spade depression is doing a hell of a job right now

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rocksicles posted:

Ha! I have to do something at work, right? I never said I achieved it fully (still doing better than I deserve), that is why he is still an inspiration.

Escobarbarian posted:

dude

I don’t know anything about this guy besides that he was a chef and what he looked like but gently caress, between this and Kate Spade depression is doing a hell of a job right now

He was making fun of me not Tony. Honestly I didn't even realize that it has been 14 years until he said that. I remember how everyone claimed that the '04 class of new goons would be the death of SA.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 8, 2018

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Librarians is not being picked up by any other channel, series is over

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Tony was a friend of a friend. Haven’t been this hosed up by a celeb death since... well, ever.

Actually, met that friend since i was like “I know you from somewhere”, thinking I took him to the hospital or something, which is pretty normal for me in New Paltz... turns out i just saw him on No Reservations’ Hudson Valley episode.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 8, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't really like travelogues and I hate cooking and food shows so I never knew much about him other than his sterling reputation. But I've always liked him based on this quote

https://twitter.com/Bourdain/status/960322190993477632

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 8, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bourdain had moved away from "food show" a long time ago. His most recent episode in Hong Kong was directed by Asia Argento and it's basically Bourdain hanging out with Wong Kar Wai's cinematographer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wasn't trying to be dismissive, I just don't watch much non-fiction TV

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
There was also a biographical TV series about his life, starring Bradley Cooper: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460654/

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
How do people talk about The Expanse as if it's top tier? The writing, acting and production values are a hair above corny tv movie standards. It's garbage. The pilot alone has so many cringe worthy performances it's hard to watch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

How do people talk about The Expanse as if it's top tier? The writing, acting and production values are a hair above corny tv movie standards. It's garbage. The pilot alone has so many cringe worthy performances it's hard to watch.

*cracks knuckles* now to respond to this definitely real opinion

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

they probably like it more than you :ms:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

I haven’t seen the show to know if this is bullshit or not, but if it isn’t it’s probably because sci-fi on TV is usually so piss-poor people have to take what they can get. Like why so many people claimed all those crappy Canadian ones from a couple years ago were anything other than awful schlock.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

less laughter posted:

There was also a biographical TV series about his life, starring Bradley Cooper: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460654/

Is this worth watching? I see it is up on Hulu.

CelestialScribe posted:

Top tier? I think you are misjudging praise for it being a top tier show on the SyFy channel as us saying it is a true top tier show across all channels. The writing, production, and some of the acting does get better (the current season has been great). To be honest I didn't like the pilot or the first few episodes (but I wouldn't call it garbage), but as a book reader I stuck with it, and now it is one of my favorite shows airing right now.

To be honest we do give more leeway to genre type shows (see comic book shows). That said if you enjoy something, enjoy it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please don't respond to people using the phrase "cringe worthy"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a top tier show IMO.

I mean, if this does nothing for you then just stick to cops shows or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziLkBIrmTLg

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jared Harris does Belter patios so well it almost ruins all the other Belter actors (except Cara Gee)

https://twitter.com/EvanBenn/status/1005070320401821696

:unsmith: but :smith:

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I don't really like travelogues and I hate cooking and food shows so I never knew much about him other than his sterling reputation. But I've always liked him based on this quote

https://twitter.com/Bourdain/status/960322190993477632

It's sad but not surprising, the dude had problems. I read his autobiography and he had a weird thing about how addiction isn't real and it's just an excuse people use because he was able to give up drugs easily. Also about how when he was younger he tried to kill himself by drunk driving which is like the worst possible way to off yourself.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nate fisher posted:

Top tier? I think you are misjudging praise for it being a top tier show on the SyFy channel as us saying it is a true top tier show across all channels. The writing, production, and some of the acting does get better (the current season has been great). To be honest I didn't like the pilot or the first few episodes (but I wouldn't call it garbage), but as a book reader I stuck with it, and now it is one of my favorite shows airing right now.

I would call most of the first season bad, but it really shines once it gets going. But yeah the way people talk about this current season sounds bizarre if you've only just started the show - it starts really rough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really wish iZombie would stop trying to talk about the science of the zombie stuff because it really doesn't hold up to any mild scrutiny.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You aren't going to get your wish.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CelestialScribe posted:

It's weird to say "the pilot alone" as though pilots by their nature aren't rough around the edges and usually have rougher acting/writing.

Even the first episode of THE WIRE, great as the rest of it is, is pretty rough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix renewed Castlevania for a third season before the second one aired.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice, that’s like, four new episodes to come instead of two! or whatever

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Nice, that’s like, four new episodes to come instead of two! or whatever

Season 2 is supposed to be eight episodes so I expect 3 to be the same.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Season 3 is where they flip everything upside down

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bull3964 posted:

Netflix renewed Castlevania for a third season before the second one aired.

Did they even really accomplish anything in S1 aside from getting the team together? Voice work was good, but I didn’t find it that great.

Plus, Ellis took out Grant because he thought he had a stupid name and didn’t know why a pirate would be in the area. I always played as Grant.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LadyPictureShow posted:

Did they even really accomplish anything in S1 aside from getting the team together? Voice work was good, but I didn’t find it that great.

Plus, Ellis took out Grant because he thought he had a stupid name and didn’t know why a pirate would be in the area. I always played as Grant.

They accomplished amazing me by making a not poo poo video game adaptation. Tho animated adaptations always have more luck than the live action ones.

I'm glad it's renewed for S3 but lol where the gently caress is S2.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

esperterra posted:

I'm glad it's renewed for S3 but lol where the gently caress is S2.

Waiting for the AlGoreRhythm to determine when the best time to release would be to maximise subs.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Is anyone watching Humans season 3, cos its pretty great imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sonderval posted:

Is anyone watching Humans season 3, cos its pretty great imo.

I've always loved the show. Third season continues to be solid, and have characters worth caring about... unlike a certain other robot show.