Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That Slickdeals page says the offer is Expired :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
just tried it, no go

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
sorry for the excitement :(

I must have posted it like an hour before the deal died, since me and a goon scooped up the offer before it apparently expired.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

buglord posted:

sorry for the excitement :(

I must have posted it like an hour before the deal died, since me and a goon scooped up the offer before it apparently expired.

I’m that goon so I thank you for your patronage.

Now I need to figure out what books to get.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
For the record, I chose Gravity’s Rainbow.

Apparently, Amazon’s R&D department turned Audible into a horse that just finished 3rd in The Kentucky Derby so a audiobook on American Pharoah is being given away for free until the 9th.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Just popping in to recommend The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, and all of its sequels, as read by Lisette Lecat.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

jeeves posted:

I have a 20 hour long mp3. I used to play stuff like this on my precious Sansa Clip but the dang thing broke and long ago went out of production.

Been trying to find an app on iOS that is good for long files like this-- VLC definitely chokes on it. gently caress using itunes. I just want something with a simple drag and drop web client like VLC does. I wish Overcast would let me add 3rd party files because drat that one is the best for podcasts.

I know I am probably late but here is what I use. This will play a single large MP3 no problem, or put tons of little MP3's together into 1 book also. It shows cover art and you can load books through web interface easy.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mp3-audiobook-player-pro/id889580711?mt=8

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I saved my mp3 audiobooks as Podcasts back when I had an iPhone. It worked well enough.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You can change their music type to audiobook as well

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I have a bunch of downtime at work and I'm just about caught up on my Audible books, so I'm looking for a recommendation. I love me some horror novels, and although I'm hesitant to tackle them as audiobooks since I really enjoy reading them at whatever pace suits me, I'd like to give one a spin. Any particularly good horror audiobooks out there?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

ClassH posted:

I know I am probably late but here is what I use. This will play a single large MP3 no problem, or put tons of little MP3's together into 1 book also. It shows cover art and you can load books through web interface easy.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mp3-audiobook-player-pro/id889580711?mt=8

I since gave Overcast 10$ to try out their uploading feature to see if it would work for audiobooks, as that app has perfect features such as auto-speed and such.

Turns out it just turns out its own Dropbox feature where you can upload up to 2Gbps to their server which then streams down to you.

Definitely not what I was looking for.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MockingQuantum posted:

I have a bunch of downtime at work and I'm just about caught up on my Audible books, so I'm looking for a recommendation. I love me some horror novels, and although I'm hesitant to tackle them as audiobooks since I really enjoy reading them at whatever pace suits me, I'd like to give one a spin. Any particularly good horror audiobooks out there?

The Audible studios adaptation of Dracula is really good.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

jeeves posted:

I since gave Overcast 10$ to try out their uploading feature to see if it would work for audiobooks, as that app has perfect features such as auto-speed and such.

Turns out it just turns out its own Dropbox feature where you can upload up to 2Gbps to their server which then streams down to you.

Definitely not what I was looking for.

Look into Huffduffer. I used that in combination with Dropbox to put some audiobooks into Overcast. I found that it sorta messed with the pacing of the books though and didn’t like it that much.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Audible studios adaptation of Dracula is really good.

Oh, maybe I'll check that out, I haven't tried any of the Audible studios stuff yet.

I ended up getting Lauren Beukes's Broken Monsters, which is really well done so far. They have a different reader for each of the five(?) different narrators, so that's cool.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Audible sending out emails for a free book, so keep an eye out if you're like me and don't stay subbed.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i picked up the sherlock holmes canon for a single audible credit read by stephen fry. As long as his voice isn't obnoxious to you it is a heck of a deal.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Molybdenum posted:

i picked up the sherlock holmes canon for a single audible credit read by stephen fry. As long as his voice isn't obnoxious to you it is a heck of a deal.

It should be noted that The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes is not in the American release since most of the stories in it are still under copyright to Doyle’s estate. The reading by Simon Vance does include them though.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Molybdenum posted:

As long as his voice isn't obnoxious to you

Is this even a thing? I would listen to Stephen Fry read the phonebook.

mystes
May 31, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Is this even a thing? I would listen to Stephen Fry read the phonebook.
I don't have a problem with audiobooks, but it always cracks me up to hear him narrating children's shows because it's so similar to the voice he uses in a sarcastic condescending way on QI.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Steven Fry also narrates the tales of max carrados which I highly recommend :)

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
The John Telfer narration of Sherlock Holmes is probably my favorite, I'm not sure if Audible carries it though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Molybdenum posted:

It's a great package, and I believe Fry wrote introductions as well, which provides a bit of background to the stories.

Doyle however, was very fond of using the word "ejaculated" to describe someone's speech.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Ive been wanting to read Uncle Tom's Cabin for awhile but never seem to have the time. Audible lists 19 versions though, is there any that y'all would recommend?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don’t see any of the major narrators so you are going to have to listen to the samples, few of them are non-english or abridged so it will narrow it down. Personally I liked Flo Gibson‘s voice. :)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I just listened to and wholly loved The Gone World. It was really good for the first 8 hours before it took off like crazy which I was NOT expecting.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

learnincurve posted:

I don’t see any of the major narrators so you are going to have to listen to the samples, few of them are non-english or abridged so it will narrow it down. Personally I liked Flo Gibson‘s voice. :)
Yeah I gave a few a listen, none of them were grabbing me. I also remembered I downloaded the Librivox player on my phone and tried there. I'm several chapters into the version read by John Greenman. https://librivox.org/uncle-toms-cabin-by-harriet-beecher-stowe/

Thanks anyway though.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Audible having a $4.95/mo for 3 months promo for prime members.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

KingShiro posted:

Audible having a $4.95/mo for 3 months promo for prime members.

Just nabbed this, thank you!

Any recommendations for nonfiction books on modern china?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

On China by Henry Kissinger is your best bet.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I'm listening to Gardens of the Moon and generally I like the narrator and story, but the narrator's voicing of the character Krupe is grating as hell. It's so bad that I looked up if the character gets killed off any time soon, but no such luck. Looks like he is a regular presence throughout the series. I don't think I've considered giving up on an audiobook based on the interpretation of one character before.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
How often can I return books until Amazon gets fed up with me? I'm not feeling a lot of them after 2hours I'm.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

luscious posted:

I just listened to and wholly loved The Gone World. It was really good for the first 8 hours before it took off like crazy which I was NOT expecting.

I got this after you recommended it and just finished. It was good.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Media Bloodbath posted:

How often can I return books until Amazon gets fed up with me? I'm not feeling a lot of them after 2hours I'm.

I've been able to return them half an hour after I've started. I think they only put you in returning prison if you've done it too many times. I returned three books at once, then couldn't do it for a month or so.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I returned the Stand when I was 8 hours in. gently caress that poo poo.

You can always return - you just have to do it via chat. They take away your ability to do it automatically after a while (but restore it eventually).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've returned about 6 books, i don't remember them all. But i know 3 were a series and i only paid for the first, i smashed them in a day and returned them, got the next one.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
The Blade Itself is $6.95 right now. If you haven't gotten into Joe Abercrombie's stuff, check it out.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KingShiro posted:

The Blade Itself is $6.95 right now. If you haven't gotten into Joe Abercrombie's stuff, check it out.

Don't tell me what to do pal.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'm glad to see learning ally getting some love in this thread - I used to be a volunteer voiceover talent for them, I've done portions of well over a hundred of their audiobooks.

They're a great service.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Cithen posted:

Heresy about Ralph Lister's portrayal of Kruppe.

I thought he did really well in making Kruppe seem like the slimy squirming self-indulgent manipulative toad that we all know and love. I'm about 13 hours into House of Chains and while Michael Page is a good narrator it was really hard to adjust to a new VA who pronounces things differently and gives new voices to the characters you're already familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've been listening to the audiobook of Gormenghast, and I'm absolutely loving it - which is weird, given I found the actual-book-version impenetrable. I think it's because I can draw while I listen, and let the atmosphere sink in rather than reading and being all 'why is it taking three pages for a dude to walk across a room, ffs'.

I'd really recommend it, is what I'm saying. Best book I've listened to in a long time.