Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nuevo posted:

I feel the female human could make a decent avatar.

That's the best Chernoff face I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

And that’s how it should be so legit sellers can pay taxes and not take a financial hit compared to street dealers.

I'm legit excited to see how the Canadian federal and provincial governments are going to turn the relatively straightforward concept of 'make this existing black/grey market that already has functioning supply chains and storefronts into a white market' into a shitshow.

I mean it's not quite as simple as 'slap a 15% tax on sales and call it a day', but drat they're complicating poo poo for the dumbest reasons.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
https://twitter.com/DataProgress/status/999365954340622337
this was posted in the suck zone thread but i didn't notice that it was intentionally misleading until someone pointed it out. are you a true veteran of awful charts? can you spot it?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hemingway To Go! posted:

this was posted in the suck zone thread but i didn't notice that it was intentionally misleading until someone pointed it out. are you a true veteran of awful charts? can you spot it?
if you're not referring to them graphing "agree" and "don't know" then I don't know what you mean so lol at me, but if you are then lol if you missed it

(not actually lol though because it's a really misleading thing to do)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if you're not referring to them graphing "agree" and "don't know" then I don't know what you mean so lol at me, but if you are then lol if you missed it

(not actually lol though because it's a really misleading thing to do)

I was going to say that they didn't graph the "slightly agree" and "slightly disagree" and that they kept changing between "agree" and "disagree" in each question.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The graphs are positioned so that progressive trends are seen as rise from left to right, whether that is a "disagree" or an "agree" varies with the question. I do not see anything wrong with this graph. It is technically correct and oriented to present a specific visual style, but it does not hide anything from the reader. It's all right there.

Edit: It's all left there, I guess is more accurate.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Aleph Null posted:

The graphs are positioned so that progressive trends are seen as rise from left to right, whether that is a "disagree" or an "agree" varies with the question. I do not see anything wrong with this graph. It is technically correct and oriented to present a specific visual style, but it does not hide anything from the reader. It's all right there.

Edit: It's all left there, I guess is more accurate.

On the first question, the percentage of people who agreed with the statement has also increased.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Paladinus posted:

On the first question, the percentage of people who agreed with the statement has also increased.

But the amount that agree only increased by 2 points while the amount that disagree increased by 8.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Paladinus posted:

That's a good point. It's weird, too, because the first one is the only one where the opposite opinion also went up. Wonder if the creator or their editor didn't like seeing the "other side" gain traction in any of the four questions, so they went with "don't know" as the other plotted point for all four instead.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pakled posted:

But the amount that agree only increased by 2 points while the amount that disagree increased by 8.

Well, the point is that it's not as much people changing their minds, as people coming to a conclusion. The biggest swing is on the third question with ~15% actually changing their mind on the issue, but also the question itself has changed since it contains 'past few years'.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Paladinus posted:

Well, the point is that it's not as much people changing their minds, as people coming to a conclusion. The biggest swing is on the third question with ~15% actually changing their mind on the issue, but also the question itself has changed since it contains 'past few years'.

In all 4 of the questions, though, the progressive opinion has gained more supporters than the non-progressive opinion.

1. +8 progressive, +2 regressive
2. +14 progressive, -7 regressive
3. +28 progressive, -15 regressive
4. +14 progressive, -5 regressive

Therefore, unless there's some hidden fuckery going on with strongly/somewhat agree statistics or the way the poll was conducted, I think the conclusion of the author, that white democrats have became more liberal on race issues over those years, is accurate.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Still seems disingenuous to construct it showing the progressive opinion going up for all four with only one other line shown that decreases in every case. It would still support their conclusion with the counter-choice shown, but they probably know people are going to glance at it and didn't want the "other" line going up in any of the four questions.

Including all three categories would get cluttered, but I can't come up with a reason why showing "I don't know" is better than the "regressive" answer. It would be more straightforward to show the opposing opinion instead of "I don't know", even though the conclusion still stands either way.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It doesn't really affect the way the chart is presented, but I wonder if the data supporting the conclusion is really the result of white Democrats becoming less racist, or if it's the result of racist white Democrats realizing they're actually Republicans, (Trump seems to have helped with that) causing racists to be a smaller percentage of a shrinking number of white Democrats.

Edit: :downs: I just read the article. The study actually controlled for that, asking the same people each time.

Theris has a new favorite as of 23:15 on May 24, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Theris posted:

racist white Democrats realizing they're actually Republicans,

Aw.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Pakled posted:

In all 4 of the questions, though, the progressive opinion has gained more supporters than the non-progressive opinion.

1. +8 progressive, +2 regressive
2. +14 progressive, -7 regressive
3. +28 progressive, -15 regressive
4. +14 progressive, -5 regressive

Therefore, unless there's some hidden fuckery going on with strongly/somewhat agree statistics or the way the poll was conducted, I think the conclusion of the author, that white democrats have became more liberal on race issues over those years, is accurate.
When the only possible answers to a question are “I agree”, “I disagree”, and “I don’t know”, and you only want to plot two of those answers for some not-quite-so unfathomable reason, it is disingenuous to exclude disagreement.

The full results for the first question show what’s really going on: these democrats haven’t really changed their minds about those issues. Rather, they have become more polarized. Questions 1, 2, and 3 show that it’s mostly (or even entirely) the undecided that picked a side. The third question, as was pointed out, was changed between the two surveys since “the past few years” refers to a different period of time in both surveys.

I wonder what could have happened between the two surveys to make democrats more polarized in their views...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why does the data end in 2016?

That’s the first thing I noticed. That was an epoch ago in politics.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
https://www.twitter.com/pie_says_no/status/1001116398444253184

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
We all knew 3D piecharts were a slippery slope.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
it was an april fools joke post

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/michael_hendrix/status/1003469059378372609

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I'm a sorta sometimes lefty, but other than a bubble and corporate fictions buying houses and renting them back to us, there's an underlying limit of land near jobs that adds to price in the pure supply-demand model

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buying a house involves buying land: a ground-breaking study

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/business/status/1004698494807003136

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Who has the biggest trade war?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I'm the Canada/EU balls

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dixville posted:

I'm the Canada/EU balls

The trade deficit is stored in the balls

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Did construction costs really grow by 20% since 2005? How come?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

ikanreed posted:

I'm a sorta sometimes lefty, but other than a bubble and corporate fictions buying houses and renting them back to us, there's an underlying limit of land near jobs that adds to price in the pure supply-demand model

Yeah but that can be ameliorated by building up public transportation infrastructure and moving away from inefficient modes of housing.

Suburbs have got to go

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

catfry posted:

Did construction costs really grow by 20% since 2005? How come?

I don't know if that chart is inflation adjusted of not but inflation between 2005 and now is 28%

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Either inflation or (if the chart is inflation adjusted) just general economic downturn making materials more expensive.

This isn't a bad chart only because it's the perfect image to represent what Trump's "trade war" is all about.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Zereth posted:

Yes, but then the drug dealer needs to turn the bitcoin into money they can use for other things, which, again, requires somebody to buy in.

Also I'm not sure how people decided a currency which keeps a log of every transaction ever made with the currency is good for illegal poo poo like buying drugs.

No it doesn't it's a closed loop. People buy bitcoin to buy drugs, the drug dealers sell the coins back to the people who bought them?

Yes people 'buy in' but the system would be stable otherwise.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Should've made it yellow.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This bad dragon design isn't too original.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

lol yeah no, WoW Classic is gonna see its player numbers drop off a loving cliff after the initial hype, and I say this as someone who's looking forward to WoW Classic

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species
This one was unhelpful for me today.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vektuz posted:

This one was unhelpful for me today.

The difference between the options is insubstantial so it doesn’t matter which bar belongs to which browser. :colbert:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ah yes the very highly scientific scale of "few" to "lots of"

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Ah yes the very highly scientific scale of "few" to "lots of"

That’s more precise than a Bezos chart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa