Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

That's true, the GTI is an excessive, indulgent vehicle, as is the Golf R. That's what makes it so ridiculous that the F-150 is as or more expensive, while costing more to keep it fuelled.

I remember thinking "you know, if I didn't have to park it downtown, the F-150 would be a pretty nice vehicle for $28,000 out the door" But it sure as gently caress isn't for $41,000.

You'd have to compare the Corolla to the normal Golf or possibly eGolf if you were primarily concerned about practicality.

It's also significantly larger, more comfortable, spacious, reliable, useful, practical etc than a Golf R or GTI or whatever

Anyway the point is that telling other people what they need or should be driving is dumb as gently caress and happens like clockwork every 5 pages. edit: except for the guys in my complex who like to do burnouts in their modified Corvettes at 3 AM, those dudes should only be allowed to have bicycles

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Fo3 posted:

Trucks these days i) have small beds because they aren't actually designed for work ii) are loving high so a PITA to lift things up onto. It's just wank unless towing every week, working on a farm etc. Same poo poo as now the suv replaces wagon, just wank and "i'm bigger, better and taller than you". When you move you just hire a $200/day proper truck truck with a lift.
If you regularly need to move small loads get a ute. Oh wait I forgot the auto industry killed proper utes off... first USA, then japan, then au. Because they want to make money off trucks and fill the streets with them.

To be fair about Japan, most of their tradesmen seem to drive vans or smaller variants of the Isuzu Elf/Hinos etc. Pickup sales started declining in like the early 80s.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Hey this argument again

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Previa_fun posted:

Hey this argument again

Yeah, I was waiting for all the usual suspects to fall all over themselves to come to the conclusion that everything over a pair of sandals and a hair shirt is excessive bourgeoisie.

Eh, that's not fair. People like different things and have different needs that can't all be met by a toyota corolla or vw hatchback. I like owning a truck after a solid 21 years of driving nothing but cars because these days I don't have the time to rent a truck when I need to move some poo poo. It's like a half-day commitment minimum to wait on or go to a rental place (Uhaul/home depot), wait for them to get to me, find out the truck isn't there, and wait for it to come back, then use it for as little time as possible, then wait to turn it back in, then drive home. It's just a huge pain in the rear end. Parking them is easy, just park as far away from the retail establishment as possible (works for me in Texas).

Also, have you tried cleaning hay bits out of car interiors? I'd love a tip because my wife's hatchback is an utter ruin from the poo poo. I love being able to toss that poo poo in the bed and not have to smell it. Alfalfa stinks to me.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 7, 2018

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Okay look at the standard "but you don't use sports cars/trucks so drive what you want" rebuttal this way

The former, everyone around the world does it

The latter, is just us. It's a loving weird thing that Americans do and that dude claiming "if you're only gonna own one car it'd better be a truck" is gonna catch poo poo from everyone outside the states, and rightfully so

it's loving weird, like the gun thing we have going on

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

thechalkoutline posted:

Okay look at the standard "but you don't use sports cars/trucks so drive what you want" rebuttal this way

The former, everyone around the world does it

The latter, is just us. It's a loving weird thing that Americans do and that dude claiming "if you're only gonna own one car it'd better be a truck" is gonna catch poo poo from everyone outside the states, and rightfully so

They are smaller than they are in the US, but truck/ute type vehicles that are never used for work are totally a thing in other countries like Japan, Australia, NZ etc. They'd drive F150's in a heartbeat if their fuel was cheaper and the roads were wider.

This entire thread is full of pristine 4wd equipped vehicles that have never been near dirt
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829078

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I am a homeowner and have a truck that I do truck things with.

I have purchased many craigslist furniture items with it. I have hauled large amounts of cement and wood with it. I have hauled large amounts of mulch and sand with it. I purchased a picnic table once with it.

It's pretty nice looking on craigslist for kitchen tables and not having to wonder how I'm going to get something home.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CornHolio posted:

I have purchased many craigslist furniture items with it. I have hauled large amounts of cement and wood with it. I have hauled large amounts of mulch and sand with it. I purchased a picnic table once with it.

It's pretty nice looking on craigslist for kitchen tables and not having to wonder how I'm going to get something home.

You can move around plenty of things in smaller cars if you take out the passenger seat and put the top down

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

You can move around plenty of things in smaller cars if you take out the passenger seat and put the top down

Every time I look at this picture I see some new incredible detail

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Previa_fun posted:

Hey this argument again

It's the return echo

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

sanchez posted:

They are smaller than they are in the US, but truck/ute type vehicles that are never used for work are totally a thing in other countries like Japan, Australia, NZ etc. They'd drive F150's in a heartbeat if their fuel was cheaper and the roads were wider.

This entire thread is full of pristine 4wd equipped vehicles that have never been near dirt
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829078

Pristine examples plucked from auctions with the intention to resell probably isn't representative of the normal 4WD owner in Japan. There are far, far more rusty Land Cruisers with 500k kms on them that nobody posts because they are not good to resell.
The fact that the Jimny exists kind of points in the direction of not size, but utility, as being more important.
That being said every car that everyone of you drives is poo poo garbage compared to the cars I drive. Likewise the food, music, men/women and socks that I like are way better than whatever the gently caress you guys like!!!!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I would trade my life for his in a heartbeat

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
About a year ago, I was shopping for my first car in about 12 years, after having exclusively ridden motorcycles for that period. I live in the middle of a city where parking spots costs as much to rent as the average American home, but I was finally in a situation where I could reliably find street parking within a quarter mile of my place. I planned on supplementing the bikes by getting something the exact opposite: a big truck with lots of hauling capability. One of my criteria was 4WD, since a number of the trails to places I wanted to go are on military or DLNR land with manned gates that explicitly prohibit motorcycles and require 4WD vehicles.

What I found was that in the used, low-end price range I was looking at, 4WD literally doubled the price of the truck over its 2WD counterpart! Anything with proper off-road capability was out of my price range for a "second car" that would be used just once or twice a week. In the end, I figured that if I couldn't get utility in my second vehicle, I should get some performance instead, and ended up just buying a mid-2000s sport-compact car instead of a truck.

So, tl;dr: Despite living the middle of a major city, I wanted a used pickup, but found out that used ones that are actually useful off-road hold their value too much for me to pick one up.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The greatest difference between owning a truck and owning a car is the depreciation curve.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I've owned my house for 15 years now and have never needed a truck, I will gladly pay for delivery so I don't have to drive a garbage ride that is any current pick up truck. My brother owns a Silverado and it rides like a drat school bus no thanks :)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

It's also significantly larger, more comfortable, spacious, reliable, useful, practical etc than a Golf R or GTI or whatever

Larger and more spacious is true. The rest not so much.

sanchez posted:

Yeah and our pickup trucks are even worse than the US take on them. The Ranger is NZs best selling vehicle and is utter garbage on the road - it rides extremely poorly, has an awful and fairly cramped interior and isn't very economical. Pound for pound it is cheap though and there is always the dream of 'one day I'll row a boat with it'

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've owned my house for 15 years now and have never needed a truck, I will gladly pay for delivery so I don't have to drive a garbage ride that is any current pick up truck. My brother owns a Silverado and it rides like a drat school bus no thanks :)

I don't daily my truck. I drive it when I need to do truck things. I paid $800 for it and I think it's paid for itself.

It's also great driving something from such a simpler time. My kids are still amazed at the crank windows. The super-long throws from the two foot long shifter are fun and it has enough torque to be surprisingly fun to drive.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I don't daily my truck. I drive it when I need to do truck things. I paid $800 for it and I think it's paid for itself.

It's also great driving something from such a simpler time. My kids are still amazed at the crank windows. The super-long throws from the two foot long shifter are fun and it has enough torque to be surprisingly fun to drive.

Still wouldn't be worth the 800, maintenance, gas, insurance and space it takes up for me. I'll pay for delivery the once or twice a year I need it.

If I want something simpler I ride my bike :v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yeah but how do you resist the siren song of furniture dumped on the side of the road

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CornHolio posted:

Yeah, see, that makes good sense if you don't have to pay for parking for whatever reason. What I question is the fact that new trucks are really, really expensive, and if you don't legitimately need one, why would you pay that for one?

Also, what's the deal with "more spacious?" The only thing I noticed was that the truck takes up a lot of space in every dimension, and my rear end slid side to side in corners because they've about 10% less than gently caress all for lateral support. Putting things in the back seat, there was nowhere to wedge them so they wouldn't bang all around hell's half acre as you try to drive. If anything, it would be a superior vehicle if it were far less spacious in the cab, and then easier to drive since you could still have a full-size bed while maintaining a reasonable overall vehicle size.

I guess if you can actually get 25-30% off MSRP it would be a decent vehicle for the price :shrug:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah but how do you resist the siren song of furniture dumped on the side of the road

Roof rack baby!

There's also the small trailer I always have attached to my car for that time I had to move a washer and dryer 9 years ago.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I have a Yakima roof rack that I can stack shitloads of lumber on and all kinds of other poo poo.

The only thing I've had delivered lately was a giant load of crushed shell for landscaping that a pick up wouldnt have helped for poo poo with anyway. Who wants to shovel a bunch of sand/dirt/mulch out of the back of a truck when you can just have somebody dump it where you need it? $35 delivery fee, whoop dee do, better than breaking my back more than i need to.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Larger and more spacious is true. The rest not so much.

Yeah the famously reliable Volkswagen family of vehicles lol. Also its true in every sense I wrote other than that as well.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah I never understood people who ask me why I don’t have a truck when I have a two car garage. “But how do you move things or buy large items???”

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah I never understood people who ask me why I don’t have a truck when I have a two car garage. “But how do you move things or buy large items???”

Obviously you don't, you only fit things that will fit in your vehicles or you rent a truck.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

Obviously you don't, you only fit things that will fit in your vehicles or you rent a truck.
Exactly, or I have the item delivered. I don’t understand why this is so difficult for people to grasp.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Exactly, or I have the item delivered. I don’t understand why this is so difficult for people to grasp.

Amazon is killing truck sales!!!!!!!!!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Almost everything is free shipping these days too, why waste time or gas picking it up somewhere.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

You can have white glove delivery on a lot of heavy poo poo for the cost of an F-150. But it's not manly so

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think there was maybe one time I bought something new and transported it with my truck. A mattress for my kids bed I believe.

Everything else has been craigslist furniture to my place or busted up concrete, brush or whatever else from my place to the recyclers.

It's handy and I understand why people have trucks, though nobody would haul around concrete in their brand-new F150 Lariat Platinum Harley Davidson Edition

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CornHolio posted:

I think there was maybe one time I bought something new and transported it with my truck. A mattress for my kids bed I believe.

Everything else has been craigslist furniture to my place or busted up concrete, brush or whatever else from my place to the recyclers.

It's handy and I understand why people have trucks, though nobody would haul around concrete in their brand-new F150 Lariat Platinum Harley Davidson Edition

The other thing is that my rental truck, and I assume literally every rental truck, was clearly beaten like a rented loving mule. The bed was all hosed up, the bumper was dented, there were scratches all over, and the interior reeked of cigarettes, etc. It was clearly mostly used like a truck ought to be used. But who's going to do that with a brand new $40,000 truck? All the people I know who need trucks want used trucks because they're going to beat the piss out of them anyway.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

The other thing is that my rental truck, and I assume literally every rental truck, was clearly beaten like a rented loving mule. The bed was all hosed up, the bumper was dented, there were scratches all over, and the interior reeked of cigarettes, etc. It was clearly mostly used like a truck ought to be used. But who's going to do that with a brand new $40,000 truck? All the people I know who need trucks want used trucks because they're going to beat the piss out of them anyway.

I agree, but a few weeks ago I was at the local Dodge dealership and I was sitting in a full loaded RAM crew cab. I opened the door and a full-length running board flipped down for me to step on. I climb in and it was cavernous inside. So wide I'd have to reach to touch my passenger's leg. Giant vertical touch screen. Backseat bigger than my dad's Taurus, 4WD, V8, a bed... and some incredibly supple leather. I could see why somebody would spend $60k on it as their only vehicle.

edit: I only took one picture of it but you know the type.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 8, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
As much as it pains me to admit this the new Rams are far more interesting than the new Silverados

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I agree, but a few weeks ago I was at the local Dodge dealership and I was sitting in a full loaded RAM crew cab. I opened the door and a full-length running board flipped down for me to step on. I climb in and it was cavernous inside. So wide I'd have to reach to touch my passenger's leg. Giant vertical touch screen. Backseat bigger than my dad's Taurus, 4WD, V8, a bed... and some incredibly supple leather. I could see why somebody would spend $60k on it as their only vehicle.

edit: I only took one picture of it but you know the type.

If it's so wide you'd have to reach to touch your passengers leg, how the gently caress do you park it? My old Mustang barely fit in my parking space, or any parking spaces I used on a regular basis. Are parking spaces much, much wider in the US than Canada? Like, I don't live in some medieval European city, I live in a new, very car-centric Canadian city with a fair number of trucks, but that sounds like a complete loving nightmare to daily.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PT6A posted:

Are parking spaces much, much wider in the US than Canada?

Really depends on where you are, but for the most part, no.

It's rare, very rare, to see a full sized pickup take up only one spot in a parking lot. It's usually 2-3.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

If it's so wide you'd have to reach to touch your passengers leg, how the gently caress do you park it? My old Mustang barely fit in my parking space, or any parking spaces I used on a regular basis. Are parking spaces much, much wider in the US than Canada? Like, I don't live in some medieval European city, I live in a new, very car-centric Canadian city with a fair number of trucks, but that sounds like a complete loving nightmare to daily.

A 2019 RAM 1500 is 6.8' (82.1") wide. From what I can find, parking spots in the US range from 7.5' (90") to 9' (108"). The maximum legal width in the US is 102" wide (and I've driven vehicles that wide, talk about a bitch...)

So perfectly centered you'd have between 4" and 13" on each side of your truck. Not a lot but people with big expensive trucks are usually afraid of door dings and so park at the way back of the parking lot anyway.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Yet it happens tens of millions of times per day with nary a thought

bull3964 posted:

Really depends on where you are, but for the most part, no.

It's rare, very rare, to see a full sized pickup take up only one spot in a parking lot. It's usually 2-3.

lmao what?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-size-of-a-standard-parking-spot

9x19 feet? They big.

Edit: like, in a normal car you can go in at the wrong angle and correct inside the space itself. In a big truck it's just, oh no, I have to line up right first. Still fits fine.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 8, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No space in any local shopping center is long enough of these things so they end up pulling though 2 feet into the space in front of them. It's either that or obstruct traffic flow by leaving the rear end end hanging out. I could probably take a walk at lunch and easily find a half dozen examples.

Statistics back this up too since the upper bound on parking space depth in the US is 20ft with 19ft being USDOT recommendations and the F-150 can be up to 20ft 10" in length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

My first car was a Ford Ranger.
It served little purpose except to help my friends and family move or transport things.
Never again.