Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
A local game cafe is doing a Netrunner night this Wednesday and I'm heading out to get back into the game. I haven't played in a LOOONG time (since before the Revised Core was announced), but I still have all the cards (except for the last two packs in Kitara). Anyone have any links to some fun, decent, "standard" legal decks? I'm thinking this event won't attract a lot of hardcore players, so I don't want anything oppressive. I started glancing at NetrunnerDB, but don't even know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Nothing says fun like installing a Monolith for free: https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/49412/surprise-monolith-4th-place-at-stockholm-sc-

Close seconds: Any recent Maxx deck (ie https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/47971/turbo-bird-6-0-sc-winner-), some flavour of Adam.

Corp's a little trickier since Rashida is in almost everything, but some proxies could get you something Jinja-ey like this: https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/50100/ctz-minimum-security

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

food court bailiff posted:

Are there any decent Freedom Khumalo decks out there? I haven't picked up Whispers yet but I don't know if there's enough playable virus cards now to finally make something like that ID work, kind of interested in anything top players have been able to come up with.
There's a decent one by Ben Ni on his channel and a few videos showing its evolution. This is the latest iteration:

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/50259/khumalo-v5

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Destrado posted:

Nothing says fun like installing a Monolith for free: https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/49412/surprise-monolith-4th-place-at-stockholm-sc-

Close seconds: Any recent Maxx deck (ie https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/47971/turbo-bird-6-0-sc-winner-), some flavour of Adam.

Corp's a little trickier since Rashida is in almost everything, but some proxies could get you something Jinja-ey like this: https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/50100/ctz-minimum-security

Thanks for the links! But when I follow some of them, the decklists are empty or partial ... downloading the text deck list shows it all, but in NetrunnerDB, nothing (or just 26 of the cards). Is there some setting I need to change?

Edit: Fixed, had to reset cache. I guess there was something messed up with my cookies.

werdnam fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 16, 2018

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

werdnam posted:

Thanks for the links! But when I follow some of them, the decklists are empty or partial ... downloading the text deck list shows it all, but in NetrunnerDB, nothing (or just 26 of the cards). Is there some setting I need to change?

it sounds like you're not seeing the quantities of each card in the deck

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks again for the pointers to some new decks. I ended up playing a Cerebral Imaging corp deck for a couple games; at one point, I had 21 credits and 18 cards in hand. It was a little nuts. Then I played one game as runner with an Adam deck. That was fun, too.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

werdnam posted:

Thanks again for the pointers to some new decks. I ended up playing a Cerebral Imaging corp deck for a couple games; at one point, I had 21 credits and 18 cards in hand. It was a little nuts. Then I played one game as runner with an Adam deck. That was fun, too.

Recur a couple of Ultraviolet Clearances with Bryan Stinson and you'll get up to 40-50 pretty fast

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I made a Kit deck with 3x Engolo, 3x Multithreader, and a Study Guide because I want to live the dream of breaking everything for cheap/free. It's terrible jank but I'd like some feedback to hopefully make it just regular jank instead. Thanks in advance.

Skit

Rielle "Kit" Peddler: Transhuman (Creation and Control)

Event (9)
2x Career Fair (Breaker Bay) ●●
3x Diesel (Revised Core Set)
1x Spooned (Order and Chaos) ●●●
3x Sure Gamble (Revised Core Set)

Hardware (3)
3x Astrolabe (Up and Over)

Resource (20)
2x Beth Kilrain-Chang (Blood Money)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
2x Film Critic (Old Hollywood) 🦄
2x PAD Tap (Kampala Ascendent) ●●
3x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
3x Sacrificial Construct (Revised Core Set)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (4)
3x Engolo (Kampala Ascendent)
1x Study Guide (Breaker Bay)

Program (9)
3x Dhegdheer (Terminal Directive)
3x Multithreader (Data and Destiny)●●●
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
10 influence spent (max 10, available 0)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Kampala Ascendent

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I thought it was illegal to run study guide without stimhack?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Elizabeth Mills posted:

I thought it was illegal to run study guide without stimhack?

You're not the boss of me.

Also: kids, don't do drugs while studying. Except caffeine. Do caffeine while studying.

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
Happy new account siphon day! Diversion of funds seems solid, a good reason to always ICE HQ against Criminals (if you weren't already).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Who wants to help me brew a Haarpsichord deck with Mwbanza City Grid? A bunch of TGTBT and Award Baits in R&D sounds delicious.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Don't forget News Team, psychoBeale, EoI + GFI, counter-currents for Estrike, and something to kill Film Critic. Maybe use the pile of money on HHN + Boom.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

RIP

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1005103421903515648

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Son of a bitch!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
:smith:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's funny because they literally just released an Android RPG in the Genesys RPG book, and now they don't have the companion game. Mainframe was alright, New Angeles is loving amazing, the Worlds of Netrunner art book is maybe the greatest RPG book ever put out that didn't have an RPG to go with it.

I can't imagine why this dissolved, WotC is absolutely not going to release NetRunner in-house, there's no money in it, and it doesn't make sense to yank a license that was making you money or demand more. Sad all around.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I am crushed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How does it go from a game with strong support and a positive outlook to almost literally simply pulling the plug? The article is very vague about what happened.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Android: Netrunner released in 2012. Two years later, Asmodee acquired FFG. If I had to venture a guess (and it's just a guess), Hasbro doesn't want a company owned by Asmodee, one of their biggest competitors, to make money from a license for a game owned by WotC, so they elected not to renew the license with FFG. It's probably simple as that.

That's also probably why Android didn't get a proper RPG, because WotC could claim their property (Netrunner) was being used to make a product competing with D&D and prematurely void the license.

This is sad news, even so.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
^^^didn't know about that, but it's very likely the case.

SettingSun posted:

How does it go from a game with strong support and a positive outlook to almost literally simply pulling the plug? The article is very vague about what happened.

My guesses are:

1) The game wasn't doing well, and thus FFG didn't think it was worth paying to renew the license.

2) The game WAS doing well, and WotC noticed that and decided they could get more money for a license renewal, and FFG didn't think it'd be worth it to meet that increased price.

3) FFG never thought the game was going to be as smashing of a success as it turned out to be, and this only signed a license agreement for a few years, thinking that the game wouldn't remain profitable that entire time and the game would stop production before the agreement ended. Thus the agreement could have been signed on the cheap by including some kind of statement claiming it couldn't be renewed.

At any rate, the last big box looks cool? I like Gnat's gimmick.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

All I know is there's no way in hell I'm missing out on the last Worlds.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Stay gold

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

CodfishCartographer posted:

^^^didn't know about that, but it's very likely the case.

My guesses are:

1) The game wasn't doing well, and thus FFG didn't think it was worth paying to renew the license.

2) The game WAS doing well, and WotC noticed that and decided they could get more money for a license renewal, and FFG didn't think it'd be worth it to meet that increased price.

3) FFG never thought the game was going to be as smashing of a success as it turned out to be, and this only signed a license agreement for a few years, thinking that the game wouldn't remain profitable that entire time and the game would stop production before the agreement ended. Thus the agreement could have been signed on the cheap by including some kind of statement claiming it couldn't be renewed.

At any rate, the last big box looks cool? I like Gnat's gimmick.

It's probably too much divination to ever really divine the right answer, but yeah, I'm in agreement with these theories. Netrunner has always been a licensing nightmare so I can't say that I'm surprised. If I had to take a guess, I'd add that the sales tanked during Red Sands and didn't bounce back enough during the shaky release schedule of Kampala.

FFG's big money makers have always been in Star Wars lines and everything else is to some extent a passion project.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

ding dong the only LCG I liked is dead.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

ding dong the only LCG I liked is dead.
Well there's still the broken and insanely swingy L5R to play!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Well there's still the broken and insanely swingy L5R to play!
do i look like some kinda weeb to you bud

please don't pay attention to the av

I actually haven't played Netrunner since Data and Destiny, in fact I haven't even played with that. I'm rather far behind!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The best way I can describe L5R is "what if poison, milling and Battle of Wits were not just niche strategies but ALSO tier 1 decks along with traditional damage-based wincons, and your deck just straight up loses/roflstomps various strategies so your tournement results were basically 100% matchup dependent?"

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The ex-Netrunner group here plays it and the art is kinda cool, but gently caress buying into another LCG.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
That's a bummer.

I'd like to fill in some gaps in my collection. Am I correct in assuming that if I own 2x of the original core set plus the Genesis and Spin cycle I don't need anything from the revised core set?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I really want to like L5R, but playing it just made me realize that I missed Netrunner.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Too bad they didn't kill off Destiny instead.

So what games are even left at their non star wars worlds?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Sad to see this go even though I quit a few years ago in favor of Star Wars LCG. This was the game that really put LCGs on the map and was where they really got their footing with the competitive scene. Now granted FFG never quite grew into the giant we hoped they'd be in terms of their Organized Play division but still.

MtG is in a bit of a recession at the moment and I could definitely see someone scapegoating LCGs as a reason for their declining sales. That bubble probably really only popped in the first could years of Netrunner's rebirth but it wouldn't shock me to know that someone was looking for a reason and the realizing that they were selling bullets to someone who was shooting them was probably not helping their bottom line.

Also L5R is good but like every other FFG core set there's some heavy faction imbalance. Add to this a much lower variance than any of their other games. It will take some time for things to even out a bit.

Anyway, I had heard from some of the guys that still play out here that the game was in a pretty bad state for a while due to some just totally NPE decks running around but recently things had gotten a lot better and the game was pretty fun again.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The popular opinion on Reddit is that WotC wants to cash in on the most likely hugely popular Cyberpunk 2077 game coming out soon.

Personally, I think its because we are heading towards a giant economic explosion in America soon and people are buying less trivial things like Magic cards, and so licenses to games given to possible competitors seems like an easy scapegoat. Especially when Hasbro owns WotC and Asmodee is now a chief competitor.

I guess I'll hold on to my Netrunner cards for the time being if they are going to stop printing them all together, even if I haven't played in over a year!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
At least I have one of everything but still, man. I was hoping for Netrunner releases into the near future. At least one cycle after Reign and Reverie. :(

I'll snap up what's left I guess. Keep it around d for casual play. Definitely getting rid of L5R though, that game takes way too long to do anything of note in.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
at least we'll probably get some final cubes out of this so the game can live on as great drafting

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
At least Jinteki players should adapt easily to L5R (which is cool and good as the meme goes and getting cooler and gooder). Anyway, I don't play Netrunner but I consider this a great tragedy. Despite the well-recognized idea that LCGs compete with each other my experience was that Netrunner's existence was a rising tide that floated all boats, with its ability to anchor non-Magic card game nights and show people the LCG model. And though it never clicked with me strongly enough to get me to buy in I do recognize Netrunner as a downright good game from a mechanics standpoint. Those are too rare.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
this is absolutely the worst day

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Sometime between Honor & Profit and Data & Destiny (admittedly when I was having the most fun with the game and playing almost as much as I would be on the downslide of the next season) it really felt like FFG and Netrunner were primed to become something tremendous. Organized play at my local stores was regular, the groups were significant in size, and man were the people pleasant. FFG had talked about a Judge Program that I guess never really materalized. But it seemed like the whole experiment was just a little push away from being as common a game as Magic (if on a smaller scale, I'm not going to be hyperbolic.) But there were nearly-weekly events and almost every store in town. What a waste to lose this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
There's still game of thrones :v:

As a fan of the L5R LCG I'll just plug that real quick... but the criticisms posted here are not wrong. It's got major balance issues with some of the clans (one of the designers claimed that Unicorn Clan was "an interesting puzzle" despite having like a 10-20% win rate in most tournaments, for most matchups.) They already issued a Restricted List.

The game mechanics are fun, though. I played Old5R and the improvements they made to the LCG are almost all really good and needed. They got rid of Gold as a resource, which helps a lot, too. (Which would be akin to replacing lands in MTG with something like Hearthstone's mana crystals.)

But this Netrunner thing really stinks. I have to think this was WotC's fault since FFG was heavy into revamping and restructuring Netrunner for the long term (Revised Core set, rotation, etc.). If it wasn't an issue on the WotC side of things, then that means Asmodee pulled the plug, which is DEEPLY troubling. That means nothing is sacred and literally any game line could be canceled at any time if TPTB decide that it's not meeting some bottom line or something. It seemed like Netrunner was successful, but I don't know, maybe at the end of the day the P&L just was never black.