Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

So I just got started in shooting birds; picked up a Sigma 150-600 C f/5.6-6.3. It's way harder than I was expecting it to be, and I'm finally starting to see why people hate the 6D's autofocus system now that I'm trying to get it to focus on moving things. But I did have a lot of fun with it, and at the wildlife refuge over the weekend got a few shots in focus at least.

Heron of some sort?

Same guy, flying around

Some kind of hawk I think

And a robin for good measure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Kaninrail posted:

So I just got started in shooting birds; picked up a Sigma 150-600 C f/5.6-6.3. It's way harder than I was expecting it to be, and I'm finally starting to see why people hate the 6D's autofocus system now that I'm trying to get it to focus on moving things. But I did have a lot of fun with it, and at the wildlife refuge over the weekend got a few shots in focus at least.

Heron of some sort?

Same guy, flying around

Great Egret and Osprey there- nice!

With the 6D I 100% kept it in center point focus and used back button focus to recompose. It took me 4 years to upgrade so I guess it wasn't horrible but yeah the AF on the 7Dii is super nice. My back hates me but I usually bring the 6D out with me too and use it for whatever other stuff I see besides wildlife.

awesome

DJExile posted:

00000005 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000036 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Hell fukkn yea shoot film.

I love these

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kaninrail posted:

Heron of some sort?

Same guy, flying around

I had one hell of a time getting clear shots with that lens at first, as I’d never used anything even approaching that focal length before. With practice things started improving though. How do you like yours so far?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thanks! :cheers:

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

President Beep posted:

I had one hell of a time getting clear shots with that lens at first, as I’d never used anything even approaching that focal length before. With practice things started improving though. How do you like yours so far?

I like it a lot, with some caveats. It's wayyyy heavier than anything else I've ever used (my other lenses are a 24-105 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, and a janky sigma 70-300 macro that I used exactly once before deciding it was utter garbage.) So getting used to just holding it steady is a challenge, and the super long focal length means even the smallest jitters send targets out of the viewfinder. But the shots I do get, the image quality seems pretty great. So mostly I think it's a great piece of glass (and only cost $980), that I am not quite skilled enough yet to get full use out of.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

With the 6D I 100% kept it in center point focus and used back button focus to recompose. It took me 4 years to upgrade so I guess it wasn't horrible but yeah the AF on the 7Dii is super nice. My back hates me but I usually bring the 6D out with me too and use it for whatever other stuff I see besides wildlife.

Yeah, I use rear-button focus as well. My main issue is the target zipping past too quickly to keep the center point on it, forcing me to either:

A) Switch to using all the points in AI Servo mode and miss shots when the background steals focus priority.
B) Switch to using only the center point in AI Servo mode, and miss shots when I move the center point off the target as AI Servo finds a new focus point.
C) Switch to center / AI Focus mode, and miss shots if the target is moving out of the focal plane before I hit the shutter.

Also, my eyesight is bad enough that I can't use the viewfinder without glasses, which I think makes it harder to tell when things are in focus (things look focused to me, and come off the camera with the focus being ahead or behind by a few feet). With still shots / landscape / portraits this is generally not a big deal since they're not gonna move after the center dot flashes, but birds don't like cooperating with me as much.

I think A is probably the least-bad option, but I'll probably have to experiment a lot over the next few months and see if I figure out a better method.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Kaninrail posted:

I like it a lot, with some caveats. It's wayyyy heavier than anything else I've ever used (my other lenses are a 24-105 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, and a janky sigma 70-300 macro that I used exactly once before deciding it was utter garbage.) So getting used to just holding it steady is a challenge, and the super long focal length means even the smallest jitters send targets out of the viewfinder. But the shots I do get, the image quality seems pretty great. So mostly I think it's a great piece of glass (and only cost $980), that I am not quite skilled enough yet to get full use out of.
Using these lenses got me into weightlifting primarily so that I could hand-hold the lens steady for longer periods of time.

I'm completely serious.

(also, it worked)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kaninrail posted:

If your experience ends up like mine, then eventually you'll get kind of a feel for it. That being said, the stuff you've posted ITT looks very nice to me, especially for someone using a new lens.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Went out before sunrise today hoping to find some owls (I didn't). Instead I found a very active group of bald eagles around a tree with a huge nest in it. There were occaisions when the nest didn't have an adult in it so I suppose it's not occupied yet but I really don't know much about these things. Some eagles were breaking off branches from the tree to add to the nest which was really interesting to watch. Unfortunately had to shoot a lot of these at ISO 3200 because the sun was just coming up.

There were probably around 8-10 mature and juvenile eagles around... and also a very brave little bird - can you spot it in one of these pics?

Eagle Nest (1 of 4) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Eagle Nest (2 of 4) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Eagle Nest (3 of 4) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Eagle Nest (4 of 4) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Anyone know if those marks on the bark of the tree by the nest is from them sharpening their beaks or somesuch?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
hah, that house sparrow in picture 3.

Not brave; smart. Far too small for an eagle to catch or even notice, but hanging around an eagle nest like that means there's nothing to worry about from falcons, hawks, shrikes, and such.

A study a few years back found that Anna's hummingbird nests out in the wild tend to be nearish hawk and eagle nests.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
American White Pelicans by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

American White Pelicans by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Goslings are so cute before they turn into menacing rear end in a top hat birds
Canada Gooses by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Hey, that’s nice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

THOSE LIL FUZZ NUGGETS :3:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_5013.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_5053.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A few from this morning at Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tulsa Prothonotary-7915 on Flickr

Tulsa YC Night-Heron-8094 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher-8338 on Flickr

Prothonotary Warbler-8169 on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:eyepop: Whoa. That's cool.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Great shot! These are my favorite birds to see when I’m back in Texas visiting family during the summer.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! Yeah these birds are magnificent. Hopefully going out again this evening– I'd love to get one in flight.

Here's my favorite so far from today

Nighthawk-8610 on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Looks like you get some really good use out of that 400mm. You gonna stick with it?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

Looks like you get some really good use out of that 400mm. You gonna stick with it?

I don't know! Unfortunately the money I got for that camera and lens I just sold went to replace my binoculars that I broke :( ... The 400 is working well for now when I can keep the shutter speed up, but it's been a little frustrating on this trip. Oxley Park where I got the heron, bunting, prothonotary warbler, etc was walk around, and it was great there, but the last 2 days have been almost entirely shooting from a car. When I'm twisting sideways and straining so as not to get a side-mirror in the shot, IS would be pretty handy.

Right now my ideal plan would be to replace the 400L with the 100-400L as my lighter hiking lens, and also get either a 150-600 or if I really say gently caress it to financial responsibility, an old 500/4 for a little longer reach.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:fap:

e: Huh, didn’t realize Sigma made one of those. Sport version too...

President Beep fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 2, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lek why not buy a single good lens instead of 3 average ones that all do the same thing? Get the 500/f4 and take your binocs hiking instead of a camera.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Fantastic! I've only seen a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher once, and only managed the somewhat-blurry photo below (from Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center, in Austin, TX). They're wonderful birds, and I'd like to see some more.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Thanks! I could have spent a lot more time with them. What a classy bird.

VelociBacon posted:

Lek why not buy a single good lens instead of 3 average ones that all do the same thing? Get the 500/f4 and take your binocs hiking instead of a camera.

I think the 150-600 would be on the way to the 500. I see your point, but for me it's two pretty different use cases- hiking up hills with a lighter lens versus bring a tripod and going to see a specific bird or two within a half-mile of the parking lot. Upgrading the 400L is lower priority because it's more or less been working. Getting something with more reach is more of a priority, but the cost of the 500/4mk1 is quite a bit more than the 150-600.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

^^^ Thanks! I could have spent a lot more time with them. What a classy bird.

I think the 150-600 would be on the way to the 500. I see your point, but for me it's two pretty different use cases- hiking up hills with a lighter lens versus bring a tripod and going to see a specific bird or two within a half-mile of the parking lot. Upgrading the 400L is lower priority because it's more or less been working. Getting something with more reach is more of a priority, but the cost of the 500/4mk1 is quite a bit more than the 150-600.

Why not the 100-400II and 1.4x? That makes for a nice combo and the 100-400 is something that makes sense to keep when you get the 500.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Why not the 100-400II and 1.4x? That makes for a nice combo and the 100-400 is something that makes sense to keep when you get the 500.

I haven't read up on that combo, but I'll look into it. I was typically shooting at f8 with my old 150-600 so I guess it wouldn't be too different.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I haven't read up on that combo, but I'll look into it. I was typically shooting at f8 with my old 150-600 so I guess it wouldn't be too different.

I dig it at least. AF works great with the 5D IV even in crap light.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The thing is even though you're shooting at f/8 you're still focusing with it at max aperture, when you use a teleconverter you just limited your max aperture some more and it might not focus nearly as well. Or did you know that and you meant something else I'm not sure. I shoot my 150-600 exclusively at f/8 as well.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

The thing is even though you're shooting at f/8 you're still focusing with it at max aperture, when you use a teleconverter you just limited your max aperture some more and it might not focus nearly as well. Or did you know that and you meant something else I'm not sure. I shoot my 150-600 exclusively at f/8 as well.

I usually keep mine wide open because I'm a pixel-peeping shithead and high ISO noise scares me. I should really try shooting at f/8 to see if I get sharper results.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Good point- I was thinking IQ not AF. Looks like the 7Dii has some AF for f/8 max aperture, but not all points.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

A few with 5D4, 100-400, 1.4x

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

This is absolutely print-worthy.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

This is so friggin good.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

President Beep posted:

This is absolutely print-worthy.

Agreed! This is great.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It looks like stars in the sky, it's just lovely

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Good lord, man. That's awesome.

Armadillo's back on the menu..

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I too liked the "flying through space" look which is actually sunlight bouncing off mosquitoes.

Leaving for the US in a couple weeks so will get to visit my herons and egrets. Plan to take lots of shots with the 5DIV+1.4+100-400II combo. Really makes for a manageable size package with excellent AF and sharpness. F/8 isn't fast but the 5DIV handles high ISO with ease.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'm finally going through some photos from last month.

Red-winged Blackbird (female).

A Plumbeous Vireo (?).

Some sort of puffy bird ball. (A kind of sparrow?)

Lots of Red-winged Blackbirds were trying to advertise for themselves.

I love the colors on the Red-winged Blackbirds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

Some sort of puffy bird ball. (A kind of sparrow?)

Check Vesper Sparrow. That would be my half-educated guess

quote:

Lots of Red-winged Blackbirds were trying to advertise for themselves.

I love the colors on the Red-winged Blackbirds.

These are cool.

Clayton Bigsby- can't wait to see what you get on your trip. As everyone else said, those are great, particularly the b&w shot of the ducks. I love seeing such a unique birb photo

Here's another from Oklahoma.
tallgrass prairie jumping dickcissel-8985 on Flickr