Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm more interested at what FFG will do with the Android Universe after. I'd play an RPG or a skirmish minis game in that setting for sure. I've never loved a setting quite as much and there won't be anything quite as mental as a megacorp made entirely of smug men leaning back in their chairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Sometime between Honor & Profit and Data & Destiny (admittedly when I was having the most fun with the game and playing almost as much as I would be on the downslide of the next season) it really felt like FFG and Netrunner were primed to become something tremendous. Organized play at my local stores was regular, the groups were significant in size, and man were the people pleasant. FFG had talked about a Judge Program that I guess never really materalized. But it seemed like the whole experiment was just a little push away from being as common a game as Magic (if on a smaller scale, I'm not going to be hyperbolic.) But there were nearly-weekly events and almost every store in town. What a waste to lose this game.

You're not wrong. S lot of people looked at FFG's cutting down it's distribution to a few select companies, demanding retailers that carry their product maintain the price point, etc. as the very thing that MTG did before they pushed hard into brick and mortar stores and turned their competitive scene around. Unfortunately, for whatever reason FFG never followed through with it. Maybe they realized the investment wasn't going to pay out, or maybe they realized they couldn't logistically manage it. I mean they never did another Plugged In tour either which you'd think would have been a fairly simple thing to manage even if they were just going to hit a dozen major markets in the U.S.

It's a shame because like you said, that period in 2013 it really felt like the sky was the limit for this game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This absolutely sucks. Ugh.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
gently caress.

I bought sleeves and binders for Netrunner a few months ago. This was the first time I've ever done that, since it represents something of a commitment, and I do not like committing to games I am bad at. And I am very bad at Netrunner.

And now they're killing it, and for me it's one hundred percent Wizards' fault. gently caress WotC, they're why we can't have nice things.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i hadnt played since before rotation but this still makes me sad

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
This really sucks. Netrunner to me is still the best card game. I know my cards aren't going to vanish but this will eventually kill every local scene I'm sure. Even if WotC were to do something with the license someday FFG added the factions and the world that really made it come together.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You poor, precious newbies. I've been playing discontinued NetRunner card games since 2008!

:negative:

At least this opens the door for fan expansions to finally take off. Wonder if I still have any of my old notes about my WotC NetRunner fanset...

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

As someone who played ONR before getting into ANR, I know deep down that if Wizards released another version of Netrunner to coincide with Cyberpunk 2077, I'd probably buy into it. I wouldn't like myself for doing it, but I would do it just the same.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

You poor, precious newbies. I've been playing discontinued NetRunner card games since 2008!

:negative:

At least this opens the door for fan expansions to finally take off. Wonder if I still have any of my old notes about my WotC NetRunner fanset...

Hadn't though about fan stuff, hopefully jinteki.net embraces it and allows fan expansions or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I remember putting a lot of time and energy into an idea about hidden programs. Always cost 1 MU, almost always disposable.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I endorse L5R as an alternative, but I'm kinda biased considering I'm one of their contracted fiction writers. And yeah, the game is kinda like Netrunner at release in that it will probably need a cycle more before it grows more balanced.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
tfw netrunner will never live to see paperclip rotated or banned

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I want to be able to buy MaxX god loving dammit. God dammit!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Hadn't though about fan stuff, hopefully jinteki.net embraces it and allows fan expansions or something.

conquest's fan scene was insane after its cancellation. they're STILL making content for it, and you can even buy it as actual physical product: http://apoka.mozello.com

netrunner's community is way more dedicated. it'll be interesting to see what groups pick up the reins and keep making content.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm feeling a bit weird right now.

Netrunner was huge for me in 2014, then I got disappointed by SanSan, dissatisfied by Mumbad, and didn't bother to continue buying when Flashpoint included even more broken cards. I never got around to selling off my cards. Now I'm considering getting up to date, so I'll always have the complete card pool for nostalgia's sake.

Either way, the real run was all the friendships I made along the way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This is twice now I've buried my favorite game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
They put up another article, this time about the World Championships, it also contains these interesting lines:

quote:

Android: Netrunner and its Organized Play may be coming to an end, but all true fans know there are plenty of ways to bypass or break an "End the run" subroutine.

Join us this September 7th – 9th for the 2018 Android: Netrunner World Championships at Android: Magnum Opus and upload your consciousness into the Network. You'll enjoy fantastic games, superlative prizes, and one of the greatest communities in all of gaming. More than this, your actions will live forever in the Android setting, breathing new life into it and impacting the design of future products. We'll have even more information about Android: Magnum Opus in our upcoming previews.

Makes me curious how much of the actual Netrunner mechanics are tied up into the wording of the license. How different would they need to make a new edition of an "Android LCG" to avoid conflicting with the previous game. Obviously they could reuse a ton of the nomenclature as those existed in cyberpunk well before Netrunner.

Midjack posted:

This is twice now I've buried my favorite game.

I've gone through two great Star Wars and two Doomtown games so I feel you on that one. I guess technically DT:R is still in print.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 8, 2018

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
This makes me sad. I only ever played casually with a friend and it's been a while since we played, but I'm definitely going to have to pick up the new core and the remaining sets and try to get back in to it.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I am truly disappointed by the new of ANRs cancellation. This game captured my imagination and excitment on a level I've never experienced, and I thought it had a tremendously passionate and friendly community. Although I have not played since before rotation, I had been hoping to get back into the game with 2.0 "any day now." If you really love a game, you've gotta get out there and play it before it's too late :(

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

BOOO, BOOO, everything is boo!

This sucks a lot, Android is a fantastic game. Time to grab every pack I don't already own and build a cube I suppose.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

PaybackJack posted:

Makes me curious how much of the actual Netrunner mechanics are tied up into the wording of the license. How different would they need to make a new edition of an "Android LCG" to avoid conflicting with the previous game. Obviously they could reuse a ton of the nomenclature as those existed in cyberpunk well before Netrunner.

My understanding (such as it is) is that the Android property is completely separate from Netrunner altogether.

FFG released two board games and a novel set in the Android universe before they ever released Android: Netrunner. The property was originally conceived as a film noir tribute set in a cyberpunk future, and they just tacked on the whole netrunning shtick after they reskinnned the card game. They definitely kept the two properties separate (that might even be why they never released a proper Netrunner RPG, since it would have competed with D&D, another WotC property). If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's very likely we'll see more Android setting stuff in the future.

Of course, Android setting stuff in the future will probably never mention "netrunning" ever again...

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

PaybackJack posted:

They put up another article, this time about the World Championships, it also contains these interesting lines:

What could WOTC actually own apart from the name "Netrunner?" As I understand it you can't copyright game mechanics, and FFG own the setting, including all the factions. Stuff like "asset" or "upgrade" or "resource" is too generic to copyright, and "ICE" (the only non-generically-named card type) predates ONR by 14 years at least.

Maybe there's some totality argument, and just literally ripping off Netrunner's mechanics into a game called Android: WebDodger would fall foul of that?

Whatever, this sucks.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Echoing 'this sucks' and also a 'is there anything I should snap up'? I have 2 cores and the first full cycle. Play occasionally with some friends but I'm the only one that owns stuff so deckbuilding is a pain and it doesn't happen often. I still love the game and have always wanted to play it more but it's hard to justify keeping up when it gets pulled out once every 6 months or so.

It makes sense to me to maybe get the next cycle and stop? If I do it chronologically it makes it easier to tell friends to go to netrunnerdb and find a deck using all expansions through X. But was the game in a good spot after spin? Is there later stuff that is should-have in terms of fun-having, meta be damned?

E: looks like the deluxe expansions are thin on the ground on Amazon, though all the smaller ones still pull up.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 8, 2018

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I am deeply saddened by the news, even though I quit somewhere after Honor and Profit and wasn't planning to return to the game. Netrunner was something special - a card game so different and so deeply thematic that I couldn't help but be obsessed with it. The last time I was so engrossed this way by a card game was, ironically, the Legend of the Five Rings CCG (hi Spooky!). Compared to Magic and it's steady chain of knock-offs, Netrunner's mechanics were intricate and utterly novel. The theme only continued to grow more resonant (often uncomfortably) as we struggled, as a society, to cope with our quickly advancing technology and the tensions of corporate power. Netrunner was a complete and compelling package. The bluffing, the mind games, the efficiency-based economy, and the backdrop of possible reality kept me fascinated for over a year. Indeed, my interest only really waned when the experienced local playerbase quit for a variety of life reasons - leaving an inexperienced and unfamiliar community in the place of my familiar friends. I wasn't willing to spend the time and effort building a new network. That's an aside though. It sounded like 2.0 had revitalized the game, leaving it as good as (or better than) it had ever been before. The worst part of Netrunner - FFG's unwillingness to rotate out problem cards - seemed to finally have been addressed. It's tragic that the game got axed instead.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 9, 2018

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Echoing 'this sucks' and also a 'is there anything I should snap up'? I have 2 cores and the first full cycle.
It makes sense to me to maybe get the next cycle and stop? If I do it chronologically it makes it easier to tell friends to go to netrunnerdb and find a deck using all expansions through X. But was the game in a good spot after spin?

I'm probably biased, but as an early Anarch player I'd say the best place to stop for a chronological collection in which all factions are interesting and competitive would be after the Anarch and Weyland deluxe box. Maybe I'm overstating things (probably definitely if you're just playing casual), but that was the time when Anarchs became competitive without the problem cards that soon made them ridiculous.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

they actually did it lol.

rip the best card game, i guess.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

This is just the worst. How petty could wotc be? Hopefully ff can come up with another interesting game soon.
I loved how netrunner wasn't about smashing minions into each other and keeping the playing field as empty as possible. Having both players actually build something during the match was one of my favourite parts of the game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just a heads up, if you liked Terminal Directive, Arkham Horror (the lcg) is that x1000 and is so so so good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Captain Theron posted:

This is just the worst. How petty could wotc be? Hopefully ff can come up with another interesting game soon.
I loved how netrunner wasn't about smashing minions into each other and keeping the playing field as empty as possible. Having both players actually build something during the match was one of my favourite parts of the game.

Literally all we know is that the license agreement ended and FFG didn't renew it. We have no idea of this is WotC being petty, FFG being cheap, or both / neither. I'm seeing a lot of people calling WotC out because of this and as far as I can tell there's nothing showing that they're to blame.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Literally all we know is that the license agreement ended and FFG didn't renew it. We have no idea of this is WotC being petty, FFG being cheap, or both / neither. I'm seeing a lot of people calling WotC out because of this and as far as I can tell there's nothing showing that they're to blame.

They're the megacorp, of course they're up to no good.:colbert:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Midjack posted:

They're the megacorp, of course they're up to no good.:colbert:

Asmodee is just as bad as Hasbro/WotC, if we're using that as a metric!!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/ANRLizzy/status/1005142690634141696

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Sure, we don't know for certain, but it seems the most likely, given the suddenness of the announcement, how ffg had just implemented rotation, the new core set, and the public comments from the developers stating their surprise at the decision.
Plus I don't think wotc needs people to defend their feelings.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Sad but not surprising. Eagerly awaiting the next star wars flop. Sarcasm, of course. L5r sucks compared to netrunner. Welp. Jinteki.net will hopefully stick around forever.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Captain Theron posted:

Sure, we don't know for certain, but it seems the most likely, given the suddenness of the announcement, how ffg had just implemented rotation, the new core set, and the public comments from the developers stating their surprise at the decision.
Plus I don't think wotc needs people to defend their feelings.

Not great evidence either way, if Asmodee’s higher-ups knew it was coming they’d have kept it under wraps to keep people buying the stuff.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I always got the impression that the sales have been trending down for a while. There are 4 LGS near me. 2 stopped carrying it two or so years ago and the other two didn’t stock anything past the first shipment of the revised core set. I have to drive an hour to find a store that is up to date on the current packs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We can probably put some bounds on the timeframe for FFG's decision to drop Netrunner. It would likely have happened after they were committed to producing Core 2 but before the third data pack of Kitara was released, since they usually announced the next cycle halfway through the currently releasing one.

Releasing an exclusive ID at Worlds is kind of bullshit but since it's for their one vs many format (presumably a bunch of Runners dogpiling the NAPD) I imagine there will be a bunch floating around on eBay immediately afterwards.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tainen posted:

I always got the impression that the sales have been trending down for a while. There are 4 LGS near me. 2 stopped carrying it two or so years ago and the other two didn’t stock anything past the first shipment of the revised core set. I have to drive an hour to find a store that is up to date on the current packs.

Yeah. I had a shop owner tell me in no uncertain terms that she didn't want to ever buy their draft stuff again since she was taking a loss on it after it sat on the shelves. This was in spite of her trying to organize events for it. In my area there is almost literally no scene whatsoever. The location is somewhat transient as people move in for work and then leave so communities are hard to grow, but it's always been incredibly difficult to find people to play this game. None of my friends would get in after seeing the entry price on 2-3 cores and then the data packs just to play with me as the scene has been dead for years.

This is a huge bummer even though I've given up on the game. It was nice knowing that somewhere people were enjoying it as the whole idea was so weird and thematic. However FFG just announced a very obvious Runebound skinned version of their Warhammer Quest card game so I would assume if the game's name is the issue that they can work something out as the Android licence is solely theirs. I'd personally love a scaled down version of this game that people could play with a single box and some expansions rather than the LCG format.

Honestly the Warhammer licence being dropped was more of a downer for me since that was the only place to get a take on those worlds that wasn't hosed over by Games Workshop's current vision while the Android universe will be mostly unaffected. It still really sucks. :smith:

I'd start to be nervous if I was a Star Wars or TGoT player though. This is two licences they've suddenly lost resulting in stuff being totally left in the wind. Forbidden Stars had an expansion in the works and they had JUST revamped Dark Heresy role play and now they lost Netrunner right after 2.0. It's pretty clear that any licensed product can be lost without any warning at all. L5R might be the best bet.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 11, 2018

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Could FFG survive losing the Star Wars license at this point? I'm remembering Decipher...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

Could FFG survive losing the Star Wars license at this point? I'm remembering Decipher...

Didn't they run into issues with executives stealing money from the company though?

I have absolutely no idea how licencing works for companies like this, but having two long running systems get yanked after putting into significant resources and time into cultivating products seems like a huge problem with how weak their long term agreements or negotiating strategies are. If all Star Wars products could just be removed from their library with only a few months to sell leftover inventory because someone at Disney got it in their head Destiny was cutting into mobile game micro-transactions or something equally absurd that feels like a significant problem.

On the topic of LCGs I'm kinda done with the format and wish they would think up a new idea for this sort of game. Early in a game's lifepspan it seems cool with only having to buy one or two boxes to play (Netrunner wanting three was pure greed and it still annoys me). However the longer the game goes on the more significant the investment is for new players which results in less new blood. For games like Arkham Horror it's fine since I can buy the sets myself and then play with one friend and there's no issue with having to find a community to support it or worry about unfair metas and whatever that a competitive LCG has to deal with.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 11, 2018