Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I've only played the first Etrian Odyssey and the main thing to do well in it was knowing what the most powerful skill in the game was despite a misleading description.

Apparently"physical" is an elemental damage type so the skill that reduces incoming elemental damage actually protects you against everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FFX still has the best combat, so 13 doesn't even get that for me.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I just finished MGSV completely(well enough to do the story missions) and by golly it's a game with a lot of problems. But the worst for me was the last mission with quiet, where you're in a standoff with an army of soviet tanks Which I wouldn't really have a problem with generally but the game only gives you a (crappy) rocket launcher and tosses you into the deep end. I had to get out of there, requip, then start the whole mission again. it was also really frustrating because msgv is a game that prides itself on having multiple ways to solve your problem but the only solution to me appeared to be shoot rockets, hide, shoot rockets again. Occasionally throw out a resupply since wherever quiet throws them seems like a crapshoot.

I've also just started Okami HD and it's rad but the beginning has not aged well I think. I wish you could have a setting that auto-scrolled the many dialog boxes without you having to advance them. at least then I could sit back and watch it like a movie.

spit on my clit posted:

David Cage games are always written just like a movie such as Troll 2 or The Room. Like the directors of those two movies, Cage is a guy from another country, and like those directors, he has no idea how Americans live, outside of the movies he's seen from America. He's making movie-esque games, where the dialogue is how he thinks Americans talk with each other, with people doing what he thinks Americans do in their everyday life, and that misunderstanding is nonstop comedy from him.
The Kojima of weird french game directors.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think there’s also more than a few times they use “queue” where an American would say “line”
Queue is making a comeback in America, largely thanks to netflix.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

I just finished MGSV completely(well enough to do the story missions) and by golly it's a game with a lot of problems. But the worst for me was the last mission with quiet, where you're in a standoff with an army of soviet tanks Which I wouldn't really have a problem with generally but the game only gives you a (crappy) rocket launcher and tosses you into the deep end. I had to get out of there, requip, then start the whole mission again. it was also really frustrating because msgv is a game that prides itself on having multiple ways to solve your problem but the only solution to me appeared to be shoot rockets, hide, shoot rockets again. Occasionally throw out a resupply since wherever quiet throws them seems like a crapshoot.

When I did that mission I learned of something kinda hilarious: Near the there is, I believe, the power switch to the base which is surrounded by fence. That fence? Yeah, tanks can't blow it up.

(self promotion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS8QGY-GZas&t=1221s (if the link doesn't work, skip to 20:21)

Drop yourself a lock on launcher, lock on through the fence, peek out the fence and fire (or even just shoot straight up), be immune to a tank shell. Another solution is to have an upgraded rock parasite suit cause you're loving invincible wearing it.

E: Oh and the video contains massive spoilers so uh yeah don't watch if you care for that

Leal has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Jun 7, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MrAptronym posted:

Speaking of FFXV, the thing dragging that game down for me is the rushed second half, but the most bizzare thing about it to me is the magic system. I was going to try and go magic heavy early in the game, but the fact that magic does friendly fire damage absolutely killed its usability to me. Occasionally I'd open on a particularly large and weak group of enemies with it, but it usually seemed like a liability. That was a substantial disappointment.

I wanted to go magic heavy but then magic turned out to be a huge chore to use and the game was easy enough that skipping it didn't make me feel like I was missing much.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

I just finished MGSV completely(well enough to do the story missions) and by golly it's a game with a lot of problems. But the worst for me was the last mission with quiet, where you're in a standoff with an army of soviet tanks Which I wouldn't really have a problem with generally but the game only gives you a (crappy) rocket launcher and tosses you into the deep end. I had to get out of there, requip, then start the whole mission again. .

You can also just Fulton extract the tanks, because they can't see you very well.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Post poste posted:

You can also just Fulton extract the tanks, because they can't see you very well.

There's a few cheese strategies for it. But doing it legit sucks, it's not a very good mission. There's a couple of ledges, for example, you can hide behind where the tanks just won't ever see you. But yeah just fultoning things out is the best way to do it. Most missions, really.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

He's no bard, I can tell you that much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQhFRP1dN4

My Irrationally Irritating moment with Shadow of Mordor/War is that they're inexplicably Lord of the Rings games. They keep trying to push these wacky and goofy orcs, and it completely clashes with the dour and grim visuals. And on the flip side, the constant self-seriousness kind of hampers how properly crazy they can go with the orcs.

Imagine if it was done with Warhammer orcs. That's a much better fit, tonally and visually.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My Irrationally Irritating moment with Shadow of Mordor/War is that they're inexplicably Lord of the Rings games. They keep trying to push these wacky and goofy orcs, and it completely clashes with the dour and grim visuals. And on the flip side, the constant self-seriousness kind of hampers how properly crazy they can go with the orcs.

Imagine if it was done with Warhammer orcs. That's a much better fit, tonally and visually.

To be fair, though, there isn't a single game that wouldn't be improved by the addition of a Greenskin Waaagh!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
40k has so many factions, so many weapons, and enough divine boons, psyker magic, and superscience to justify revivals ten times over. Even just Orks and Chaos would make for a game with absurd amounts of variety.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nuebot posted:

There's a few cheese strategies for it. But doing it legit sucks, it's not a very good mission. There's a couple of ledges, for example, you can hide behind where the tanks just won't ever see you. But yeah just fultoning things out is the best way to do it. Most missions, really.

yeah it's not framed very well. I felt like I would get one shotted sometimes regardless of how prepared I actually was.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Bee posted:

40k has so many factions, so many weapons, and enough divine boons, psyker magic, and superscience to justify revivals ten times over. Even just Orks and Chaos would make for a game with absurd amounts of variety.

Imagine if they took Space Marine and instead made WAAAAAAAAGH! Where you start the game as a regular Ork but then as your kill count goes up you get bigger and badder until you're the biggest and baddest.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I recall seeing this sentiment a lot when Shadow of Mordor came out but I never felt like the LotR license detracted from it aside from the gratuitous Gollum cameo; the peculiarities of the Uruk as nigh-unkillable manufactured creatures that exist solely for warfare at the hands of a powerful sorcerer is a cornerstone of the Nemesis system as is Tallion being a Wraith whose physical body can be killed but keeps coming back. Granted my only real exposure to and attachment of the Lord of the Rings was the old movies and half of a Hobbit movie, I understand that people who are super into the lore has a big problem with the way the game violates Canon.

Shadow of War on the other hand, oof. Like in the first five minutes you get The One Ring 2 and the cool giant spider monster being visualized as a generic sexy human lady for no reason, the story is just really aggressively dumb and I was actively breathing a sigh of relief when it all but vanishes after the first act

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Erotic Wakes posted:

I recall seeing this sentiment a lot when Shadow of Mordor came out but I never felt like the LotR license detracted from it aside from the gratuitous Gollum cameo; the peculiarities of the Uruk as nigh-unkillable manufactured creatures that exist solely for warfare at the hands of a powerful sorcerer is a cornerstone of the Nemesis system as is Tallion being a Wraith whose physical body can be killed but keeps coming back. Granted my only real exposure to and attachment of the Lord of the Rings was the old movies and half of a Hobbit movie, I understand that people who are super into the lore has a big problem with the way the game violates Canon.

Shadow of War on the other hand, oof. Like in the first five minutes you get The One Ring 2 and the cool giant spider monster being visualized as a generic sexy human lady for no reason, the story is just really aggressively dumb and I was actively breathing a sigh of relief when it all but vanishes after the first act

To be fair, no one's actually ever read the silmarillion so sexy Shelob woman is a valid possibility

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I read the entire Silmarillion, because it was in my last high school's library. :colbert:

:negative:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Even in the LOTR books, the Orcs weren't just KILLMAIMBURN. They had social structures and settlements (Goblin Town from the Hobbit), they laughed and sang, and were generally intelligent (they rivaled dwarves in mining, and knew smithing and medicine).

They were pretty much proto-Warhammer Orks in some ways. They even tinkered with machinery and explosives like 40k's Orks (Goblin Town, again).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, even when I was a teen eating everything else up in the Dark Elf Trilogy (Salvatore's Drizzt origin books), I was still completely stumped by one line he decided to include there saying that the "evil races" can't sing. I had no idea where that came from.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Queue is making a comeback in America, largely thanks to netflix.

“Queue” in the sense of a FIFO execution order is perfectly normal. But Americans almost never say “queue” in context of people waiting in line to be served / ride a ride etc

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The majority of the Orc in those games aren't wacky though? They're usually played straight and the goofy ones are more like rare easter eggs

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Away all Goats posted:

The majority of the Orc in those games aren't wacky though? They're usually played straight and the goofy ones are more like rare easter eggs

There's plenty of jokes but they work in the context of the setting. Honestly I think it adds a lot to the humor because since they can't just purple monkey diswasher it up with constant wackiness it's actually surprising and funny when you run into, I dunno, a bard enemy who uses a lute as a weapon and sings all his lines in rhyming couplets or a pacifist orc who just wants to talk. Or when an orc you've disgraced comes back as "[name] the Bitter" and keeps making pissy remarks about how oh of course you just had to show up and ruin another if his raids.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Calaveron posted:

To be fair, no one's actually ever read the silmarillion so sexy Shelob woman is a valid possibility

I read the Silmarillion twice and I've never read The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings.
Beren and Luthien :heartbreak: :sadface:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beaten Link to the Past because I never have before - I didn't enjoy it much. There were some fun dungeons, like I liked Misery Mire (the Ice Palace sucked though) but by the end I was just going through out of Sunk Cost. The main problem I had was I found it hard to avoid a lot of enemies because I'm bad at 2d movement, but also it was hard to visualise which chests I'd missed because I'm used to later games putting them on the map when getting the compass. Overall I prefer the other Zeldas that I've played, although the only one I ever beat was Wind Waker (though this is the start of me trying to change that). I liked the world building though. The story of the Dark World was interesting.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Destiny 2, yes I know, couldn't help but make me wish a for a PvE open-world RPG/ Far Cry sandbox with this setting and gunplay. Give me collectibles, an incentive to explore, more dynamic NPCs, a more moving story, less Joss-Whedon dialogue, and skill-trees that aren't straight lines. Nessus is simply beautiful but the game never makes use of this real-estate.

Dying Light is a AAA game that musters enough goodwill to the extent the makers keep releasing content-updates three years after launch. Destiny 2 is a AAA game that's garnered so much toxic-press that it's mostly forgotten PvP-wise and gone cheap in the Humble Bundle after only nine months.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Destiny 2, yes I know, couldn't help but make me wish a for a PvE open-world RPG/ Far Cry sandbox with this setting and gunplay. Give me collectibles, an incentive to explore, more dynamic NPCs, a more moving story, less Joss-Whedon dialogue, and skill-trees that aren't straight lines. Nessus is simply beautiful but the game never makes use of this real-estate.
Nessus is a pale shadow of the first game's Venus landscape. But really it just sounds like you want what most people want after seeing how Destiny 2 turned out, the first game ported over to PC with the second game's controls and gunplay. There were a bunch of cool things to collect in the first game that filled out information about the world and history. Skill trees weren't just "pick one and done" you could actually somewhat build your character how you liked and there were a bunch of hidden quests. Not just time gated stuff.

Also, if you want to talk about wasted real-estate; half of the Titan map is really awesome, but there's absolutely nothing to do in the Arcology outside of like two quests and one strike.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Dying Light is a AAA game that musters enough goodwill to the extent the makers keep releasing content-updates three years after launch. Destiny 2 is a AAA game that's garnered so much toxic-press that it's mostly forgotten PvP-wise and gone cheap in the Humble Bundle after only nine months.

Half of the free stuff Dying Light has given out is locked behind the developer's web storefront. You have to register your game, register for their site, link your accounts, and then "buy" each freebie from their site to have it appear at the quartermaster in game. Also the game itself is constantly pestering you to use your mobile account to download their app and play one of those crappy "watch timers fill up and then tap them" non-games to unlock in-game items.

Gotta give Techland credit, they may be a small Polish studio but they can shamelessly browbeat their customers into letting them harvest their data like even the biggest AAA studios.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

To be fair, its inclusion in the Humble Monthly was less "oh no oh no push copies of D2 to everyone and anyone the ship's sinking" and more "heheh, suckers, now come buy all of our overpriced DLC". To whit, the expansion pass has been the #1 seller on the Humble Store for a while now.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Yardbomb posted:

FFX still has the best combat, so 13 doesn't even get that for me.

Didn't 13 have enemies where your characters positions in the fight mattered for their AoE attacks, but you had no control of character movement?

I remember that being a really annoying thing about the combat. Of course I only made it about ten hours in before getting frustrated with the fact I was still in a tutorial and quitting, so the game had lots of other problems too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
When 13's combat shone it really shone. Rapidly switching between paradigms as the battle necessitated it made things fast-paced and frantic, having you keep up with your buffs/debuffs while healing and turtling up when necessary before slamming into the enemy as hard as you could.

Unfortunately, everything out of combat was a really poorly-made slog.

I can't even fault the typical random encounters being dull, since that's just a staple of every JRPG. People getting mad that there was a 'choose my attacks for me' button, because pressing 'A' to attack repeatedly like every other turn-based jrpg is so much better.

Even something like Bravely Default/Second, after a while, had a typical strategy for every random battle (which typically amounted to 'brave like mad and annihilate them with 16 attacks at once')

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Really enjoying Subnautica, but the day and night cycle is astonishingly short, you can see the moons/sun whizzing across the sky, it's a bit weird and can take you out of it a bit. You can change it in the console but a whole bunch of things depend on the same setting so it's best to just put up with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Didn't 13 have enemies where your characters positions in the fight mattered for their AoE attacks, but you had no control of character movement?

I remember that being a really annoying thing about the combat. Of course I only made it about ten hours in before getting frustrated with the fact I was still in a tutorial and quitting, so the game had lots of other problems too.

There are AoE attacks and no movement controls, and its one of 3 things that could/should have been improved in the combat system. That said, for the most part AoE attacks hitting or no hitting is never really part of the games design, and you have a sentinel class that will distort the battlefield and suck up AoEs safely from the rest of the party at the point where tougher monsters use them judiciously.

The tutorial thing is both a bit overblown (nobody gets mad in FF6 for instance that you have forced limited parties of different characters constantly for hours upon hours in the beginning) and inaccurately addressing the issue (the tutorials fail to have people internalize some key information like ATB switch refresh and how saboteur works).

Also unlike basically every other FF the post game strategy isnt something that obsoletes the game mechanics youve used through that point. Even FFX boils down to “quickhit or yojimbo” at the postgame while 13 you keep using the same mechanics but different aspects to beat the differing types of foes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I finally said "gently caress the Witcher 3" and am getting into Fallout 4 and, god drat. I'm gonna say ANY game that makes you check your map or inventory menu every 45 loving seconds just to figure out WTF. I LIKe some of that poo poo but not constantly.

Sort of why I liked the Evil Within games because that poo poo was kept to minimum.

Also, gently caress encumbrance bullshit in games that encourage you to collect everything in order to build poo poo. Some of the Resident Evil games managed that mechanic well with the little mini game parts that had you playing Tetris with your inventory slots in order to carry poo poo. But it never seemed overwhelming or tedious.

Some of these open world games it's like "all of a sudden your'e as slow as snail" because you picked a fork, a AA battery or some poo poo. Just give us all portable holes and be done with it unless you can make it interesting.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

One More Fat Nerd posted:

So did Skies of Arcadia. And Chrono Trigger.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

AoE attacks are a mechanic rendered immediately irrelevant by Chrono Trigger being so easy. And since this game pioneered the notion of NG+, but not the idea of NG+ being any harder like the original Zelda, you have to challenge yourself to make it harder.

What other games have mechanics that are redundant as soon as you play? Dark Souls 3 had weapon durability but since your weapons auto-repair at a bonfire, and most weapon's have wear down x4 times slower than Dark Souls 2, you will never ever break anything.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Jun 8, 2018

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

What other games have mechanics that are redundant as soon as you play? Dark Souls 3 had weapon durability but since your weapons auto-repair at a bonfire, and most weapon's have wear down x4 times slower than Dark Souls 2, you will never ever break anything.

Divinity Original Sin 1 has weapon durability too, but you can repair your weapons in battle if you have a hammer in your inventory. You don't even need to spend action points, or have the hammer in the same inventory has the person with the weapon.

Ni No Kuni 2 has a wildly overcomplicated weapon system where you equip 3 weapons at once and you build up charge on each one to make your special attacks more powerful, and you need to switch between weapons to juggle it all. Fortunately they added an automatic weapon switching mode so you can completely ignore it, which I suspect was added after testers pointed out that it was utterly superfluous to everything.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
It just hit me that the only games that do weapon degradation consistently right are 90's side scrolling beat 'em ups. In other games, it either happens too fast and leaves you with a lovely back up weapon, is trivially avoided, or wildly unwieldy and silly like the Bethesda Fallouts needing copies of the same item to repair it.

Those beat 'em ups had you already fighting like a badass, and weapons were basically power ups that gave a little more range or damage on top of what you already dish out until they broke or ran out of ammo.

I can't think of any games in which weapon degradation makes them more fun except for brawlers. Maybe something like STALKER, where it's in keeping with the game's theme, but, for the most part, games that treat found, breakable gear as a temporary bonus rather than a permanent, always slowly breaking, part of your character handle it much better.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I always thought the Fallout 3/NV repair system was pretty ingenious in a way. The world is full of bad guys, and all those bad guys have clothes and guns which the player collects and carts off like an over-zealous thrift shop employee. It's a pain in the rear end in FO4, because you're constantly shuffling things around, and fast travelling to various shops to offload. The repair system though makes you constantly destroy the weapons and clothing you find, like you kill 10 raiders, pick up all their lovely pistols, then merge them into one shiny, brand new pistol which can be sold for more and takes up way less inventory space. Lore wise, it doesn't really make any sense when you look too closely, but mechanically it does have a role in the game.

Gerblyn has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Jun 8, 2018

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

AoE attacks are a mechanic rendered immediately irrelevant by Chrono Trigger being so easy. And since this game pioneered the notion of NG+, but not the idea of NG+ being any harder like the original Zelda, you have to challenge yourself to make it harder.

Planescape: Torment has a lockpicking skill thieves can learn and a spell to open locked containers but it introduces the concept of locked chests by having your character bash open a locked desk with a crowbar you find that does extra damage to locked containers, a strategy that will carry you through the entire game easily.

Also I refuse to believe that anyone actually used the stealth feature in it or KotOR.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Erotic Wakes posted:

Planescape: Torment has a lockpicking skill thieves can learn and a spell to open locked containers but it introduces the concept of locked chests by having your character bash open a locked desk with a crowbar you find that does extra damage to locked containers, a strategy that will carry you through the entire game easily.

Also I refuse to believe that anyone actually used the stealth feature in it or KotOR.

I think KOTOR 1 or 2 had a forced stealth level, but otherwise, yeah, stealth was 100 percent useless.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Walton Simons posted:

Really enjoying Subnautica, but the day and night cycle is astonishingly short, you can see the moons/sun whizzing across the sky, it's a bit weird and can take you out of it a bit. You can change it in the console but a whole bunch of things depend on the same setting so it's best to just put up with it.

I liked it cause it helps sell the idea that you're on an alien planet, especially when theres an eclipse like every other hour or whatever

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I know there's tons of haters but I really think botw did weapon degradation quite well

To me, it's absolutely exciting having to scavenge and make do with what I have, especially during the early game. Later on it does become more of a item management issue more than anything since you get so much poo poo, but weirdly I still enjoy it

Also breaking weapons on enemies feels so drat good, especially if you send it their way with a nice, satisfying toss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

I feel like Destiny's weapon system is redundant in a few confusing ways regarding the kinetic primary/energy secondary.

So you have basic enemies with a health bar and elite enemies which have a shield in addition to their normal health. Standard kinetic damage sucks at shields, but energy damage is super effective at taking down shields, so you can switch to your energy for the shielded opponents and stick to your kinetic primary for the normal enemies. Except, energy also works just fine for health, so technically, you don't ever have a major reason to use your kinetic.

So, since energy works fine in all cases, the game manufactured a reason for you to switch instead: ammo drops. Kills with energy drop kinetic ammo, kills with kinetic drop energy ammo. Ok, so now you're forced to switch in order to keep them both stocked up, but it's still slightly random, leading to confusion on whether this ammo drop system exists in the first place, and it feels like you're being punished when it might feel more natural to just have kinetic do more damage to health?

Then you get into the elements and matching your energy weapon element with the enemy's shield element. For example, if the enemy has an arc shield and you break it with an arc energy weapon, you get a nice bonus in the form of an explosion. That's nice, except there is really no way to prepare for this or react to this. A mission can contain enemies with any of the three different elemental shields, and you can only have one energy weapon, and therefore one element to match with. So, while you might want to take advantage of matching elements with skillful play, you can only really match one at random based on what you initially equipped. (and while you might think you can supplement it with power weapon or your subclass abilities, those are beset with rare drops and high cooldowns).

If you switch your energy weapon to another one in your inventory mid-fight to try to match elements (which is incredibly clunky to do), the game punishes you by halving your ammo pool for every switch. Not only that, but some missions lock your loadout so you can't switch even if you wanted to. So does the game want me to match or not?

This issue can be further exacerbated by mission modifiers that can increase/reduce certain element's effectiveness, making you want to equip a certain element but whether that's good for the enemy shields is up in the air. Ironically, there's even one mission modifier to match elements or suffer incredibly low damage. How am I supposed to match elements if my loadout is locked, my ammo is being strangled, and I only have access to one reliable element?

Ironically, there's actually one exotic energy weapon in the entire game, Hard Light, that lets you switch your elemental ammo clip on-the-fly: surely that should be a standard feature for all energy weapons for skilled players to take advantage of! Why does a weapon need to be exotic to have a feature to engage with a system the game built in the first place?