Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
I'm looking for a game I can play on my Macbook Air where I can run around an open world and blow poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm looking for games to play at work. Genre isn't too important. Main qualifications:
Works on Mac
Really light on performance - I need to be able to tab over to other things without seeing any slowdown from having the game run in the background, also it's a laptop
Can be run windowed
Preferably turn-based or with zero time constraint but at least easy to pause
Easy to jump into and out of, sometimes for hours at a time.

I've been playing a lot of Slay the Spire and I need something different.

My favorite thing for this when I was in college was a flash drive with a genesis emulator on it to play King's Bounty.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hearthstone's Monster Run and Dungeon Run are similar to Slay the Spire and are completely free.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I'm looking for games to play at work. Genre isn't too important. Main qualifications:
Works on Mac
Really light on performance - I need to be able to tab over to other things without seeing any slowdown from having the game run in the background, also it's a laptop
Can be run windowed

Caves of Qud
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Invisible inc
I’ve also had success running into the breach in a wineskin wrapper

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I bet your laptop can run Civilization 4 just fine.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017

Works on Mac
Can be run windowed

Came here literally for this, except for the "Works on Mac" requirement. Preferably turn-based something

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Works on Mac
Can be run windowed

I may have mentioned it before, but OTTD! There's a cool goon run server for it. No one cares if you are afk. Should fulfill most of your criteria. Except if you don't like Transport Tycoon.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831934

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm looking for a MMO/open multiplayer game with either PvP or similar rear end in a top hat possibilities, and a decent goon presence, any recommendations aside from Eve?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My toddler likes to play drivey drivey with an old usb steering wheel and I'm wondering if there are any adaptable basic driving games (or games designed for kids) that might entertain him for five minutes or so. It would need to be easy/on rails enough that there's no crashing or stopping - probably just changing lanes on the road, or managing simple turns.

Something like a mario kart but less frenetic?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Euro truck simulator?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'd go with Mario Kart in time trial mode, easy settings, first track. No other karts, no items, no real obstacles to speak of.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Cruisin USA

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Audiosurf might be good. It's not exactly driving, but I think it has some no-fail modes and it's not something where you can get stuck in a corner.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd go with Mario Kart in time trial mode, easy settings, first track. No other karts, no items, no real obstacles to speak of.

My four-year-old loves Mario Kart 8 with steering assist on in time-trial mode. Even on the hardest tracks that have a bunch of drop-offs she can have fun.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You wouldn't hurt my feelings if you didn't give it a first or second glance, but the freeware Pakoon series was kinda weird and fun. The first was an open-world pizza delivery game, the second is a downhill skiing time trial game with cars.

If you have Far Cry 2, you can use the map maker to generate a setting, draw roads and towns and obstacles with your kid, then hand them the keyboard or game controller, hop in and demo the map without closing the editor. There's no AI available, whether you want them or not, plus you can get out of the car (including a rad go-kart) and shoot things or crash into exploding barrels.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Honestly, Driver on the PS1. So much fun to drive around, so satisfying, and the guy complaining when you hit something is hilarious to most little kids.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks all! Gonna try a Mario Kart, Pakoon 2 and Driver and see if any catch his interest. (If he manages Eurotruck at 3 I'll move him up to DCS World)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

(If he manages Eurotruck at 3 I'll move him up to DCS World)

Eurotruck's really simple though, so long as you're on automatic gearing. Just simple driving on motorways.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What's a good space-themed 4X game for a beginner to the genre? I'm definitely willing to learn how to play but hopefully not something super complex. Bonus if it runs on lower-end PCs.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Kvlt! posted:

What's a good space-themed 4X game for a beginner to the genre? I'm definitely willing to learn how to play but hopefully not something super complex. Bonus if it runs on lower-end PCs.

Stellaris.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Master of Orion 2 is pretty good for learning, the floor for interacting with its systems competently is pretty low so you can focus on figuring out how to take advantage of whatever your current game's race is good at each game.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Kvlt! posted:

I think Galactic Civilizations 2 would be perfect for this, and it's quite old so low-end PCs shouldn't have any problems.

Mechanically it's not too complex, plenty of options but they come at you over time. Fun shipbuilder too which is always a highlight of the space 4X arena. It won't last you forever but I think it would be a great entry point.

I love Stellaris and it's not really complicated, but if I was just entering the genre then something turnbased would be easier to jump into, because it's very clear "when things happen." Stellaris can be kinda mushy in that regard since it's a (pausable) real-time-ish affair (it advances by in-game day at an adjustable rate).

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’m a card game junkie but I’m tired of buying overpriced cardboard squares that end up gathering dust on my shelf. I want the joy of opening packs without the guilt of burning money better saved or spent on something more important than a momentary buzz. I want a tcg video game that is
1. Either a one-time buy to get everything, like a normal game but that has card-collecting mechanics OR a free game that I can get by in without spending large amounts of money or time
2. On PC, iOS or any Sony system
3. Not completely full of half-naked anime ladies. In fact not even sort of full of those. At all.
4. Quick to play, so I can rattle off a few matches whenever I have a little free time

Please give me your best digital TCG recs

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Getsuya posted:

I’m a card game junkie but I’m tired of buying overpriced cardboard squares that end up gathering dust on my shelf. I want the joy of opening packs without the guilt of burning money better saved or spent on something more important than a momentary buzz. I want a tcg video game that is
1. Either a one-time buy to get everything, like a normal game but that has card-collecting mechanics OR a free game that I can get by in without spending large amounts of money or time
3. Not completely full of half-naked anime ladies. In fact not even sort of full of those. At all.
4. Quick to play, so I can rattle off a few matches whenever I have a little free time

Sounds like you want Eternal, basically phone-optimized Magic lite and very, actually, ftp.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
That ticks all the boxes very nicely! Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You might also take a look at Card City Nights 2. It's a buy-once game; while it nominally has a multiplayer mode most of the fun (for me anyway) is in the singleplayer story mode.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Getsuya posted:

System Crash is a real solid single player card game with a good story and fun mechanics.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm looking for relatively chill games that are largely about (or at least, have a lot of) storytelling as a theme or involve putting together stories. I love 80 Days and Where The Water Tastes Like Wine, and I really liked the first part of Divinity: Original Sin where I was wandering around the town and piecing together quests through conversations with minimal combat.

What else should I look at for something that feels like those?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm looking for relatively chill games that are largely about (or at least, have a lot of) storytelling as a theme or involve putting together stories. I love 80 Days and Where The Water Tastes Like Wine, and I really liked the first part of Divinity: Original Sin where I was wandering around the town and piecing together quests through conversations with minimal combat.

Have you tried the Sorcery games? Same guys as 80 days. I also enjoyed Life is strange as a storytelling game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Try the Telltale Series games, especially The Wolf Among Us.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kentucky route zero

Just uh, be patient for episode 5

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

How open are you to visual novels, and what kind of tone do you want? Do you want puzzles plus conversations, or do you want the conversations to be the puzzles themselves? Or do you just want to be told a story that you make decisions for?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

signalnoise posted:

How open are you to visual novels, and what kind of tone do you want? Do you want puzzles plus conversations, or do you want the conversations to be the puzzles themselves? Or do you just want to be told a story that you make decisions for?

I'd prefer the conversations to be the puzzles or at least lead to different places depending what you do so it was a bit more than a slightly interactive story.

I've not tried many visual novels. I find the anime/manga style of graphics to be a pretty big turn off, aesthetically speaking, if that's the kind you're meaning.

Edit: I've never played Planescape: Torment or Torment: Tides of Whateveritis. Would they scratch the sort of itch that the city section in Divinity: OS did?

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 11, 2018

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Torment: Tides of Numenera is basically nothing but a bunch of conversations. There's really minimal combat unless you're asking for trouble. The combat also sucks for the most part. It's a good game, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd prefer the conversations to be the puzzles or at least lead to different places depending what you do so it was a bit more than a slightly interactive story.

I've not tried many visual novels. I find the anime/manga style of graphics to be a pretty big turn off, aesthetically speaking, if that's the kind you're meaning.

Edit: I've never played Planescape: Torment or Torment: Tides of Whateveritis. Would they scratch the sort of itch that the city section in Divinity: OS did?

If you enjoyed the first D:OS, then you would probably also enjoy D:OS2. It's a very slow burn RPG with tons of opportunities for expressing your character through dialogue and gameplay. If you don't care too much for the combat then you can set it to Explorer Mode for an easier time. In the opening 10 hours of my last playthrough, for example, I convinced a dog that all life was meaningless, borrowed a pair of teleporting gloves from a smuggler, then teleported him away so I could keep the gloves forever, and forced one of my party members to marry a fire slug. Great game!

KingBomber69
Feb 25, 2018

by VideoGames
play runescape altso

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Is there anything good for a group of people to play as a 'crew', kinda like Sea of Thieves but preferably with content? I've got Pulsar already, and have been eyeing Guns of Icarus Alliance. Prefer ships, but will accept other things.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Guns of Icarus 1 was great, dunno if there is any community in Alliance or not.

Some non-ship suggestions:

The Division is built around the idea of having a 4 man team, and is pretty drat fun in spite of its flaws.

Payday 2 is a crew pulling incredibly violent heists.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm thinking more of travelling, rather than focusing on instance based man shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm thinking more of travelling, rather than focusing on instance based man shooting.

World Adrift but that doesn’t really have content per se apart from crafting your airships.