Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Squeenix is making a 9s plush to go with the 2b plush that released a while back. You should buy them both. that's all thanks for listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Deified Data posted:

That's route A done. Does your next playthrough remember your sidequest progress? Like how much G you've given to the inventor, or what belt you're on for the dojo guy? Will it reissue sidequests you've done already?

I'm pretty I remember reading recently that those two specific quests' progress will carry over between playthroughs, but everything else will not.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Deified Data posted:

That's route A done. Does your next playthrough remember your sidequest progress? Like how much G you've given to the inventor, or what belt you're on for the dojo guy? Will it reissue sidequests you've done already?

The belts are counted as separate quests, so it saves your spot. The inventor is a special exception where you keep all your progress. Otherwise you have to restart any partially completed quests, and completed ones stay that way. There are a few that are only available in route A, but even those aren't gone forever.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Squeenix is making a 9s plush to go with the 2b plush that released a while back. You should buy them both. that's all thanks for listening

I didn't realize there was official merch of Nier stuff. There's even a 2B and Kaine action figure!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Pretty sure the Father Servo sidequest is back from where you stopped

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Quests that have multiple 'stages' like Father Servo and Half-Wit Inventor carry over between playthroughs, while quests that only have one stage but multiple things you have to do to finish it do not. Generally speaking, if a quest expects you to do the whole thing in one go (fetch quests with multiple items included), it will be reset if you've accepted but not completed it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Should I have been able to buy any gauntlet type weapons on my first playthrough? Never found a single one.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Should I have been able to buy any gauntlet type weapons on my first playthrough? Never found a single one.

I think Emil sells some? And there is a shrine in the forest with some I think you don’t have to hack.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I think Emil sells some? And there is a shrine in the forest with some I think you don’t have to hack.

Yeah there's a rare Emil shop (I think in the NW corner area or near the base?) which can sell gauntlets, and there's a set in the forest up a tree platforming thing up on the edge of a cliff?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hmm, I found Emil but didn't see anything like that in his shop. Guess I'll look later.

Archenteron posted:

Yeah there's a rare Emil shop (I think in the NW corner area or near the base?) which can sell gauntlets, and there's a set in the forest up a tree platforming thing up on the edge of a cliff?

Oh, so Emil sells different stuff at different locations? He only sold chips when I found him.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Deified Data posted:

Hmm, I found Emil but didn't see anything like that in his shop. Guess I'll look later.

Oh, so Emil sells different stuff at different locations? He only sold chips when I found him.

Yes he does, which can get pretty frustrating if you're trying to get his inventory from the resistance base and he's not spawning there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think what Emil sells depends on the area he's hanging out in but it may just be random.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It depends on what area he's in. If he's zooming around at double speed outside the camp, he's got the good poo poo. Actually getting him to go there is a matter of fuckin black magic. I got him to do it by accident on my first run, but on my second he stayed at the desert the entire game. I had to look up all sorts of solutions to try and make the fucker move after I was done with the story and I still don't know which one did the trick.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Basically the quickest way to get him to spawn where you want him to is to continuously reload the map (generally just teleporting back and forth between city checkpoints does the trick) enough that he shows up in the right spot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Dark Wind posted:

I'm pretty I remember reading recently that those two specific quests' progress will carry over between playthroughs, but everything else will not.
Each individual fight and resource collection is a single quest, so it'll keep track of which ones you finished, but if you do a fight and not give him the materials (or does it happen the other way around, I forget?) it'll forget that you did the first part.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Just got this, played the first bit up until the space station. No idea what is going on, but this game is awesome.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The game does a pretty goob job at explaining whats what, dont worry

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
How important is doing the sidequests? So many red dots on the map and I have no idea what to do.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you want to follow the main quest, always aim for the biggest bright red dot. The smaller bright red dots are side quest objectives, and the dark red dots are side quests you haven't picked up yet. You don't need to do any side quests, but you often get cool weapons or items, and there's some neat little stories that fill out more worldbuilding

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of the flavor of the game comes from sidequests. Keep in mind that you get some well before you're at an appropriate level for them, though, and a bunch of them become available just before you get fast travel. After that, though, I'd recommend at least trying every quest you can find (save first and give it up for later if it seems too difficult).

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I have a question about Drakengard 3 and was told this was the best place to ask. I was reading a discussion about Drakengard 3 elsewhere and someone pointed out a inconsistency regarding the main character.

(Endgame spoilers)
Zero's quest to brutally slaughter her sisters is secretly an attempt to save the world. The question is: why would Zero want to save the world? She doesn't care about anything or anyone in the world, with the possible exception of Mikael.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I see it more as her cleaning up her own mess than trying to save the world.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

She really, really hates that flower.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

EightFlyingCars posted:

She really, really hates that flower.
I think it's this. It's not so much save the world as specifically save the world from that loving flower.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I always saw it as not that she’s trying to save the world, she’s just not gonna let herself be used as it’s tool of destruction. She spent her entire life being used, and the flower wasn’t treating her any differently.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Apparently full edition is coming to xbox. I'm really happy more people will get to experience this game. Hopefully they give it more love than the pc port :v:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
In the forest when you're coming up on the castle there's a chest on an archway that I'm pretty sure can only be reached by pixel perfect jumping from the half dozen pillars leading to it. Is it worth the effort?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Only if you want 100% weapons.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Deified Data posted:

In the forest when you're coming up on the castle there's a chest on an archway that I'm pretty sure can only be reached by pixel perfect jumping from the half dozen pillars leading to it. Is it worth the effort?
There's a few movement tricks like using the pod or spear moves that give you some leeway and ledge grabbing is reasonably forgiving making it far from "pixel perfect" - there's a couple of more annoying jumps that i can think of - but it's not essential in any way but the completionist one. So don't run your head into a wall for hours trying to get it if it bothers you.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 12, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

Only if you want 100% weapons.

Which you need for 100 percent endings.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

chiasaur11 posted:

Which you need for 100 percent endings.
Can't you just buy the achievement and get E that way?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It doesn't have to be pixel perfect though it can still be kind of tough. Shouldn't take more than a few tries though. It's not nearly as annoying as the jump in the Flooded City.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can't you just buy the achievement and get E that way?

You can get the platinum but you won't see the ending unless you put the grind in/YouTube it.

Edit: gently caress, yeah, E is a regular ending. It's Y I believe that's locked behind 100% weapons?

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 12, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's not ending E.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The jump that gave me the hardest time even after looking up some hints was the one across the street from Servo's arena. And i think that was just for a musical disc, which doesn't even count for any completion?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I didn't find the stick jumps that bad. Just going double jump + evade for each pillar got me there without any precise control needed.

The one I couldn't do was that jump under a collapsed staircase in the factory.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The one I couldn't do was that jump under a collapsed staircase in the factory.

I had to use this guide for that https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/168677-nier-automata/75086582

quote:

Those who have gotten to this point in the game will know exactly which chest I'm referring to. Those who haven't, do yourself a favor: watch the video and save yourself a s*** ton of frustration trying to reach this annoying chest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR6OvJsxFEw

Equip a large sword to your light attack slot, slowly step forward and off the platform to the right of the collapsed stairs, and as soon as you've dropped past the stairs, perform a light attack to delay your descent, then double jump to clear the ledge and reach the chest.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Who cares about ending Y, it's the end of Emil's story that's locked behind the weapons. You don't do it for some achievement, you do it to help your friend.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Uhhhhh

You just use the spin-kick/double jump to get that chest. It's.... not difficult???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Whew! OK. I finished this wonderful game 7 days ago and have just finished reading the whole of this thread. As you might be able to tell from my avatar, I am such a huge, huge fan! (I helped to make the Nier tag having never played it, but now when I see it I completely get how cool it is! :D)

I am so happy people are still using spoiler tags over a year on. This is something that does not happen much for most of the game specific threads in this forum, and I would hate for anyone to be spoiled by anything.

As someone who had no real knowledge of Yako Taro's other games this whole experience was fresh, new and affecting in the most pointed and beautiful ways. Thanks to some other posts in here I have learned so, so much more about how even more awesome it is and I just wanted to add my voice to the various accolades in here that it is still receiving :D