Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I disagree. They kept Foles because they know he's good enough to win a Super Bowl if Wentz isn't healthy or underperforms. Sudfeld is an unknown quality, even if 'they have faith in him.' They don't need to get value where they can, they need to go all in on winning another championship now while they have a team loaded with superior talent and a comparatively weak division. There's every reason to believe that they can win again this year and that they'll need Foles for at least a game or two.

And there is every chance Wentz plays 16 games in which case Gronk would be an instant improvement of the team's chances of winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
It was pretty weird how for like two days it was being reported that Nick Foles turned down a trade offer from the Browns but then he said that he'd never even heard of an offer. Kind of curious what the real story is there, if there is one

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

FuriousxGeorge posted:

And there is every chance Wentz plays 16 games in which case Gronk would be an instant improvement of the team's chances of winning.

TheChirurgeon posted:

nah, man--you have to put yourself in the mindset of "Wentz will be back at 120% on day 1 of the season and never be hurt again, and also Gronk will never get hurt"

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The Eagles are pretty screwed if Ertz gets hurt. Hard to rely on a rookie to replace his production.

Are we done going in circles, lol?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Are we done going in circles, lol?

Trading your super bowl MVP backup QB because the TE might get hurt doesn't seem like sound logic to me, particularly when you're arguing to trade for a guy who hasn't played a full season since 2011

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Trading your super bowl MVP backup QB because the TE might get hurt doesn't seem like sound logic to me, particularly when you're arguing to trade for a guy who hasn't played a full season since 2011

I agree with the Cowboys fan. If Foles sticks around, we have a much better shot at a championship than with a TE we don't need. Our WR and RB depth are enough to get by if Ertz gets hurt. Plus, we drafted a talented TE this year and got that guy from GB that can catch.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

He's not just playing if Ertz is hurt. His presence instantly makes the Eagles a much more intimidating offense. It's a choice between taking a risk to make the team significantly better and going super conservative and assuming your QB is going to get injured. The Eagles didn't get where they got last year with conservative, low risk moves.

There is a reason the Eagles have been open to hearing offers for Foles all offseason. If the right move comes along they will make it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
To me if I'm an Eagles fan and a Cowboys fan is trying to convince me that trading my backup QB for Gronk would be a disaster... :thunk:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's not like we've been fooled by a single year performance by BDN before

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
With the eagles, no less.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Intruder posted:

It's not like we've been fooled by a single year performance by BDN before

Be that as it may he's the best backup in the NFL, yeah? I've always held he got a bad rap due to St Louis doing nothing to support him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

would you rather have the best backup in the nfl or the best starting TE by a mile in the NFL

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Intruder posted:

would you rather have the best backup in the nfl or the best starting TE by a mile in the NFL

QB is a more important position and the Eagles showed last year their offense doesn't need a Gronk to produce big numbers. The superbowl was incredibly high scoring.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

yeah nick'll contribute so much more than gronk could holding that clipboard

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Intruder posted:

yeah nick'll contribute so much more than gronk could holding that clipboard

How many teams in the past 10 years were out of playoffs with a promising team because they lost their QB?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Intruder posted:

a glass half full question for our generation...

i'd probably take the backup because i'm a pessimist

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Intruder posted:

This trade has nothing to do with Travis Kelce.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Are we still pretending Nick Foles has a ton of value still after the offseason just demonstrated otherwise?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

To me if I'm an Eagles fan and a Cowboys fan is trying to convince me that trading my backup QB for Gronk would be a disaster... :thunk:

I don't want to see the Eagles win another super bowl--but what I want and what I think are good moves are two different things. I wouldn't be upset to see the Eagles trade Foles for Gronk, only to watch Gronk flounder or miss games again while Wentz struggles to make the field and Sudfeld leads the team to a string of losses to open the season that the team doesn't recover from.

e: But if anything, being a Cowboys fan here matters because I've seen exactly how bad it can get when your team's starting QB goes down and you don't have a good backup

FuriousxGeorge posted:

He's not just playing if Ertz is hurt. His presence instantly makes the Eagles a much more intimidating offense. It's a choice between taking a risk to make the team significantly better and going super conservative and assuming your QB is going to get injured. The Eagles didn't get where they got last year with conservative, low risk moves.

There is a reason the Eagles have been open to hearing offers for Foles all offseason. If the right move comes along they will make it.

I agree that Gronk makes the Eagles better on paper, but I don't agree that it's worth the risk--the team's starting QB is still trying to make it back to the field, and is a potential injury risk during the season. If Wentz had never gotten hurt and was perfectly healthy, I'd be 100% in agreement with this angle. But as-is, I don't think the upside to having Gronk for most of a season is worth the risk you take on when the situation with Wentz is very unknown. And that's in part because Ertz is already good and the production jump from Ertz to Gronk isn't as good as the drop from Foles to Sudfeld if Wentz is hurt or struggles. If you trade Foles, you *need* Wentz back as soon as possible, and if you don't, you don't have to have that urgency.

I'm also not saying they shouldn't trade Foles under any circumstances, but straight-up for Gronk are not those circumstances.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Patriots aren't stupid enough to trade Gronk for Foles anyway so it's not really a debate, and even if Gronk was spite-traded it wouldnt' be to a team as good as the Eagles

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Diqnol posted:

How many teams in the past 10 years were out of playoffs with a promising team because they lost their QB?

not the brock osweiler led broncos, that's for sure

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kalli posted:

Are we still pretending Nick Foles has a ton of value still after the offseason just demonstrated otherwise?

We were offered 33 overall for him iirc? Also the argument is really what brings more to the Eagles atm and since Ertz is pretty loving good its almost deciding which backup you'd rather have, Ertz or Foles

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you can run 2 tight end sets though

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Diqnol posted:

We were offered 33 overall for him iirc? Also the argument is really what brings more to the Eagles atm and since Ertz is pretty loving good its almost deciding which backup you'd rather have, Ertz or Foles

To be fair to Furious George, if you have Gronk and Ertz, you probably start running more 2 TE sets

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
the Eagles trading BDN for Gronk after letting Trey Burton walk would be a highly questionable move.

e: not to say Burton and Gronk are comparable players but just that Philly didn’t seem to prioritize keeping Burton so it doesn’t seem like their TE situation is a huge concern.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 8, 2018

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Of course you do but NE put up 400 more yards than the Eagles last season with Gronk and the GOAT. How much value does Gronk bring relative to the massive loss of an injured Wentz? Every Eagles fan can tell you Wentz doesn't play to protect himself - it was our chief concern last season and culminated in him getting hurt making a dumb risk of himself. I can think of many teams in the NFL since I've watched the game that have gone from Superbowl Favorite to a nothing because their QB got hurt. poo poo, it was the narrative for the Eagles this last season! You don't move Foles unless either he's begging for it (doesn't look like he is) or you're supremely confident in Wentz.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well that was loving pointless. Thanks guys ;)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Play posted:

Well that was loving pointless. Thanks guys ;)

It's extremely June my dude

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

hifi posted:

you can run 2 tight end sets though

Bucs are going to run so much with Cameron Brate and OJ Howard and it's gonna own.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Might as well cut Wentz imo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yikes

https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/1005161187410145280

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Fuuuuuuck that sucks

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Diqnol posted:

QB is a more important position and the Eagles showed last year their offense doesn't need a Gronk to produce big numbers. The superbowl was incredibly high scoring.

The Mike Shula-led offense of the Panthers hung over 30 points on the Patriots. Having a big game against the Patriots basically just indicates that your offense has 11 men with a pulse.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Play posted:

It was pretty weird how for like two days it was being reported that Nick Foles turned down a trade offer from the Browns but then he said that he'd never even heard of an offer. Kind of curious what the real story is there, if there is one

Im fairly certain that story was Hue Jackson making poo poo up to make Dorsey look bad

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Brady for Jimmy straight up

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Brady for Jimmy straight up

suck my balls

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

pasaluki posted:

I'd have to agree with that for QBs.

Cleveland is coached by a such a moron both Miami and Buffalo will finish with more wins.

Buffalo somehow got stronger and i love their talent, i just really don’t like Allen. I think Miami needs a majority of potential starters to step up... but when does that ever happen?

Cleveland i love every move they made minus that CB over Chubb. I know Cleveland likes that pass rusher they have next to Myles Garrett, who was injured last year, but Chubb would’ve immediately improved their secondary because you have 2 top top tier pass rushers, 1 pretty good one, and two very good DTs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Cleveland i love every move they made minus that CB over Chubb. I know Cleveland likes that pass rusher they have next to Myles Garrett, who was injured last year, but Chubb would’ve immediately improved their secondary because you have 2 top top tier pass rushers, 1 pretty good one, and two very good DTs

They made that decisions because they felt that the reason Garrett and the others didn't get home more often was that the secondary play sucked so bad that someone was always open for a pressured quarterback. I feel like that pick was definitely a bit high and I would've gone for Chubb but at the very least there was some thought behind it.

The real question imo is gonna be Baker. They took him over every other QB in the draft so if those other guys start showing out and Baker struggles that decision could become famous as another enormous drafting fuckup by the Browns

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I read the GMs thought process. They think very very highly of Emmanuel Ogbah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Holy poo poo :( Hal’s a great player and an overall good guy. Hate to see this happen.

• Locked thread