Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Quicksilver6 posted:

I believe you when you talk about the tech and demos, but I'm really struggling to think of what the last big thing was from them... SteamVR? The Steam Controller? Steam Link? It's all kind of hazy to me after Portal 2... Is there like new system architecture or game engine tools they've been doing?

SteamVR, but you’re right, it’s dropped way down in rate over time. Still, valve ‘s role as influential gatekeeper means even their tech demos produce a wave of imitation and derivation .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I had a nightmare that I was trying to watch something on Netflix and the only categories were things like "sexy anime girls" and "big-titted anime girls" and poo poo like that.

This is literally affecting me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nightmare :confused:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This but unironically :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I had a nightmare that I was trying to watch something on Netflix and the only categories were things like "sexy anime girls" and "big-titted anime girls" and poo poo like that.

This is literally affecting me.

Man, we need to trade nightmares.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
At first I was laughing like it was the funniest thing I'd seen in my life. But then I kept scrolling on and on and the desperation and terror set in.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

At first I was laughing like it was the funniest thing I'd seen in my life. But then I kept scrolling on and on and the desperation and terror set in.

"Dark_Swordmaster, a perfectly normal goon. Except. Today, they find themselves... in the waifu zone."

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Keeshhound posted:

"Dark_Swordmaster, a perfectly normal goon. Except. Today, they find themselves next to... the scary dakimakura."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That would probably make quite a good twilight zone episode honestly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

OwlFancier posted:

That would probably make quite a good twilight zone episode honestly.

it turns out everyone else is ugly and he is sugoi

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Probably better suited to The Outer Limits than the morality plays of The Twilight Zone IMO.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

One has to wonder, following their internal logic, what all the people involved in the process do if no decisions are to be made about quality or content.

Plus as I argued on their comments, that they aren't willing to be a final QA service doesn't excuse the fact that there is no effective elective QA service, you either get the highest promoted stuff or you get volumes of poo poo, or you get their useless automated recommendation system which for the past several years has mostly recommended me the same poo poo because it forgets after a month or two that you said you weren't interested. None of which are capable of picking out less advertised yet good titles from the ocean of sewage.

My favorite "Steam Recommends" thing is when it is populated with games that you literally cannot buy. I've had it give me Alan Wake and the original State of Decay, which are two games that are not currently for sale on Steam.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
In another official memo to their customers, Valve released this statement:

quote:

Trying is hard and doing things is boring, so gently caress it.

I'm still gobsmacked at how dismissive that release is. The saddest part, though, is that we'll all still be using Steam for the foreseeable future, because it's still easier than the alternatives.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Valve posted:

:effort:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

My favorite "Steam Recommends" thing is when it is populated with games that you literally cannot buy. I've had it give me Alan Wake and the original State of Decay, which are two games that are not currently for sale on Steam.

I like when it recommends me something I bought, returned, and left a negative review of.

Because I might have changed my mind since then!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/08/e3-2018-dead-or-alive-6-first-hands-on-can-team-ninja-balance-familiar-and-fresh

Dead or Alive 6 has been announced and they're removing the boob jiggle according to this article.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I know it had a supremely lovely PC port but was 5 that bad of a fighting game otherwise?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dehry posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/08/e3-2018-dead-or-alive-6-first-hands-on-can-team-ninja-balance-familiar-and-fresh

Dead or Alive 6 has been announced and they're removing the boob jiggle according to this article.

I FOR ONE AM OUTRAGED

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Bold move, I'm curious whether it'll win them more new players than they'll lose. I feel like most people not interested in the fanservice just play other fighting games anyway.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

muscles like this! posted:

This was the only way Steam could stop me from marking their entire store "Not Interested" back before they opened the floodgates and let everything in. It still hasn't stopped me. I'm almost at 22k games "Not Interested"

As a result my store page recommendations are usually all in Chinese, if the page shows anything at all.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kanfy posted:

Bold move, I'm curious whether it'll win them more new players than they'll lose. I feel like most people not interested in the fanservice just play other fighting games anyway.

There's not much competition in the realm of 3D fighters, so I think they're trying to focus on being mainstream competitive.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

This was the only way Steam could stop me from marking their entire store "Not Interested" back before they opened the floodgates and let everything in. It still hasn't stopped me. I'm almost at 22k games "Not Interested"

As a result my store page recommendations are usually all in Chinese, if the page shows anything at all.

Hi5 buddy, I'm at just under 14k myself. I run through my Not Interested queue just about every day. I barely even pay attention anymore, it's just some sick loving habit I've fallen into and can't get out of. Part of the morning routine.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's ironic and weird because I'm fairly certain the itch you're scratching can be hit by those 10,000 achievement scams.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turning the distribution platform itself into a clicker game is certainly one way to attract a niche audience.

Quick someone make a game about running a game distribution platform where you have to optimize participation incentives to hold a customer base and then put it on steam.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

OwlFancier posted:

Turning the distribution platform itself into a clicker game is certainly one way to attract a niche audience.

Quick someone make a game about running a game distribution platform where you have to optimize participation incentives to hold a customer base and then put it on steam.

Didn't someone actually do that? I'm pretty sure I recall "Steam Simulator" or something from earlier in this thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

OwlFancier posted:

Check out Varoufakis' valve economics blog posts sometime. He was well on his way to that conclusion.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Kanfy posted:

This is the same song and dace as 5; this is just another attempt to get the FGC behind it and make it an EVO game. They already admitted fetishy DLC is where the money is at, that's where they're putting it in to milk people

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
All I actually know about the DOA series is the fanservice - is it actually thought of as a technical fighter? I think the one gameplay thing I've ever heard about it is that it's really heavy on reversals.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I bought a DOA once, I think 2 for the PS2, because I enjoyed Tekken 3 and wanted to try some more 3D fighting games. I had more fun with the other 3D fighting game I got nobody ever talks about, Bloody Roar 3, which I hated because of the final boss who I swear was a dirty cheat.

I don't think I even played DOA 2 enough to reach the final story mode boss.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
DOA5 is good fun and the Triangle System is cool.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

All I actually know about the DOA series is the fanservice - is it actually thought of as a technical fighter? I think the one gameplay thing I've ever heard about it is that it's really heavy on reversals.

Yeah.

This is like Playboy saying their ditching nudity, but also lying and saying you can pay for premium playboy to get it and it being a years long policy

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Tecmo could put the boob physics option in paid DLC, or make it involve an online check to discourage the pirates.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Make it so pirated games have the boob physics ramped up 5000%.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
based on the terrible mods thread that would encourage things.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Have we already discussed Devolver Digital hinting at Metal Wolf Chaos?

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Really Pants posted:

Make it so pirated games have the boob physics ramped up 5000%.

So...
...like the first Dead or Alive game then?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

al-azad posted:

Sir this is the terrible games thread, you want the good and cool games thread.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

That game has no place in this Terrible Awful Games Thread.

And the reason is...

Because you play the President of these United States of America! :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That game has no place in this Terrible Awful Games Thread.

And the reason is...

Because you play the President of these United States of America! :911:

that is what saints row is for.

:colbert:

:patriot: