Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Digital Foundry suggested that the Wii games on the Shield were a part of Nintendo's deal to get Tegra for the Switch ("Hey if you're going to use our hardware in a product that's roughly going to compete with our own console we want the rights to some of your games for porting") but I don't know what their source is, if they even have one.

If that is the case then I could see Nintendo just wanting final approval on the project and not particularly caring how the sausage is made. Also they're likely getting some kind of profit on the sales of the games so they might see Nvidia's devs using Dolphin as a way to make money off of software that normally is used to pirate their games.

And Dophin's devs aren't getting up in arms with licencing and copyrights about Nvidia/Nintendo using their code because it's emulation software, so they're already on shaky legal ground, and also this is in China, where copyright lawsuits get shrugged off like flies, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No one really knows how the code is acquiesced, the licenses they violate in every beta test. We just assume that it happens. But no one else is in the room when it happens.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
From my experience working with several giant corporations, yeah internet speculation is massively off the mark when it comes to internal corporate workings, partially because corporations are massive operations with a ton of moving parts and an emphasis on secrecy, partially because people like to sound smart bout poo poo they don't know anything

Like literally 100% of the time people are flat out wrong or operating under false assumptions. At least in cases where I was familiar with the subject at hand, I was always amused by how confident people were about the "insights" they had to provide.

Nothing wrong with speculation, at least not until you start believing that there's a grain of truth hidden in there

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Jesus christ I sure would like a new switch game that even gets close to the heights that botw hit for me :sigh:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah I’m absolutely speculating here, and it could very well be that Nvidias devs wrote a brand new emulator that uses absolutely no code from Dolphin. But if they did it absolutely would still use APIs and hooks from Android that don’t exist in the Switch’s OS (Horizon), meaning that if Nintendo wanted to use their code for Switch Wii emulation it would still take a lot of work or maybe even be rewritten from scratch.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 8, 2018

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

KingSlime posted:

Jesus christ I sure would like a new switch game that even gets close to the heights that botw hit for me :sigh:

XBC2 gave me close to the same feeling as BOTW when playing on the Switch, but every other game since has pretty much been enjoyable for 15-20 spurts every now and then. Hopefully Nintendo's E3 direct will have some great announcements.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Didn't they find headers for ROMs downloaded from the internet in the NES classic? As for speculation on my part, Nintendo using an Android emu is definitely within the realm of possibility

My favorite inverse version of this is when people cracked Sony's internal ps1 emulator on the PSP and Vita with great results. Makes me wonder how absolutely mind-blowingly good emus in general could be with the help of even one individual who is familiar with the internal development of x console

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

Didn't they find headers for ROMs downloaded from the internet in the NES classic? As for speculation on my part, Nintendo using an Android emu is definitely within the realm of possibility
The fact that people got up in arms about that amuses the poo poo out of me. Like, I’m sure some effort and money went into buying the stuff to rip the carts and the software to process and package the rom data but still.

KingSlime posted:

My favorite inverse version of this is when people cracked Sony's internal ps1 emulator on the PSP and Vita with great results. Makes me wonder how absolutely mind-blowingly good emus in general could be with the help of even one individual who is familiar with the internal development of x console

People have made injection tools for the various emulators that Nintendo made for the 3DS and they all run way better than any of the third party efforts on the console do. Sure, injected GBA games don’t have save states, but the GB/GBC emulator is amazing. I’ve thrown romhacks, a patched color version of Mario Land 2, a English translation-patched , Super Gameboy palette-locked version of Picross 2, and even traditionally difficult to emulate games like Metal Gear Solid at it and it’s emulated every single one of them perfectly. Heck, I even accidentally injected a .gba file that was a Game Boy game patched into the GBA Gooma emulator and the 3DS’ GBA emulator played that perfectly too. Nintendo writes some fantastic loving emulation software.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

thinking about posting an hour and a half gamexplain video discussion about smash at e3

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There’s gonna be tons of footage from the tournament, they’ll get like a week and a half of comparison/changes videos out of it.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Can't wait to see the Inklings in action, and then never play as them when Snake returns.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kashuno posted:

Yes they've announced a Switch Taiko Drum

Looking forward to Dark Souls now

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KingSlime posted:

Good news, Octopath Traveller comes out next month!

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm quitting my job to play Octopath Traveller on the Switch full time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want to like Octopath Traveller but it having random battles that apparently are pretty long kinda kills it for me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

I keep repeating this but

please be good please be good please be good please be good :pray:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm personally more interested in finding out when SaGa Scarlet Grace's US release date is but Octopath should be good for the duration!

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I started playing Celeste today and it's a drat good video game, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should just make a rule of not buying 2D platformers for Switch. The Pro controller's garbage D-pad keeps registering my cardinal direction inputs as diagonals all the time, and this is after doing the tape """""fix""""" too. For a high-pace precision platformer like Celeste, it sure drains a lot of fun out of the experience when half or more of your deaths come from the controller loving up rather than yourself.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want to like Octopath Traveller but it having random battles that apparently are pretty long kinda kills it for me.

Who's saying the battles are long? Like, longer than a normal turn-based rpg's battles would be?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Celeste is meant to be played with the stick. Every tutorial on every version of it shows the stick

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Celeste is meant to be played with the stick. Every tutorial on every version of it shows the stick

Rare to see someone else who finds Celeste better to control on stick, I very much agree.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

With any 2D game, my brain automatically defaults to using the D-Pad.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

a.lo posted:

thinking about posting an hour and a half gamexplain video discussion about smash at e3

Oh God I just thought of how many of those videos I'm going to have to not click over the next week.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I use the joycon “d-pad” buttons for celeste. worked for me but I guess most people don’t like it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Who's saying the battles are long? Like, longer than a normal turn-based rpg's battles would be?

Play the demo. Theyre extremely long if you dont use the critical system and theyre regularish length if you do but such a mechanic is a worrying portend for the full game.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
iirc they use the format of roms dumped on the internet, not the actual roms themselves.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCc64YsmhGI

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

It's coming out in July, 1918?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/mike_robbo/status/984182194196373504

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

So is this what happens to a human contortionist?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

No one really knows how the code is acquiesced, the licenses they violate in every beta test. We just assume that it happens. But no one else is in the room when it happens.

And now this song is stuck in my head. Bravo. :downsbravo:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How has no one told me about this game? You’re all fired

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Travv0 posted:

Nintendo Switch: kinda weird you haven't learned enough Japanese to play games for children

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It is the language of games after all

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I have a friend who learned to speak Japanese because she wanted to play pretentious Vita games and hey, since it allowed her to speak to 126 million more people I can't really knock it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Guys I got the fish people their robot elephant back and boy was that a pain in the rear end with my bows getting broke by the time I was inside.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

TheScott2K posted:

Guys I got the fish people their robot elephant back and boy was that a pain in the rear end with my bows getting broke by the time I was inside.

You know you can leave the robot and come back with more stuff at any time once it's been opened up, right? Same with all the other Divine Beasts. Edit: If you were saying they broke boarding the robot elephant all I can say is git gud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

The Lobster posted:

You know you can leave the robot and come back with more stuff at any time once it's been opened up, right? Same with all the other Divine Beasts.

Can't you not return after you beat them? Why'd they do that? I remember being really paranoid that I would miss something when I played it

• Locked thread