Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

My secret shame is that I haven't spent the effort and time to learn how to properly sharpen knives at home. All my knives have been sharpened at CUT Brooklyn. I ... I'm sorry.

Nothing to be sorry about. Save yourself a lot of time and no doubt the guy doing it every day for years and years is going to always be better at it than you. They look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

good news byob! as my parents have bought a second house i will have more time looking after myself, and you guessed it, learning this cooking thing. at some point i wanna make my own stock, so i'm gonna roast a chicken tomorrow. any tips or recipes you'd recommend?

alnilam

Poking a little fun at a chicken during a roast can give everyone a good laugh, especially if the chicken being roasted is a good sport. You do need to know where to draw the line, though, as you don't want to damage your relationship with the chicken. Since the fine line separating funny from nasty isn’t the same for everyone, you should take the time to consider the chicken you’ll be roasting, the topics you should (and shouldn’t) cover, and how to deliver your zings just right.

Watch other roasts for inspiration. If you don't have much experience with roasts, take some time to do research. Watch roasts of other chickens and figure out the techniques people use to get the most laughs. You can find roasts of celebrities on comedy channels or on the internet.

Keep in mind that professional roasts may go a bit farther than you should, depending on your situation. For instance, if you're roasting your rooster, you may need to tone it down a lot.

Think about odd habits or quirks. Write down anything the chicken does that's a bit crazy or silly. Maybe the chicken has a habit of only eating certain kinds of bugs or only getting on the roost if there are fewer than 3 hens on it. These little habits can be great for filling out a roast.

For example, if the chicken you're roasting loves flies on banana peels, that's a little outside of the norm and people may find it funny. However, if the chicken likes to peck her flockmates, that's not as fun. It goes against the norm, but it also causes harm.

the unabonger

alnilam posted:

Poking a little fun at a chicken during a roast can give everyone a good laugh, especially if the chicken being roasted is a good sport. You do need to know where to draw the line, though, as you don't want to damage your relationship with the chicken. Since the fine line separating funny from nasty isn’t the same for everyone, you should take the time to consider the chicken you’ll be roasting, the topics you should (and shouldn’t) cover, and how to deliver your zings just right.

Watch other roasts for inspiration. If you don't have much experience with roasts, take some time to do research. Watch roasts of other chickens and figure out the techniques people use to get the most laughs. You can find roasts of celebrities on comedy channels or on the internet.

Keep in mind that professional roasts may go a bit farther than you should, depending on your situation. For instance, if you're roasting your rooster, you may need to tone it down a lot.

Think about odd habits or quirks. Write down anything the chicken does that's a bit crazy or silly. Maybe the chicken has a habit of only eating certain kinds of bugs or only getting on the roost if there are fewer than 3 hens on it. These little habits can be great for filling out a roast.

For example, if the chicken you're roasting loves flies on banana peels, that's a little outside of the norm and people may find it funny. However, if the chicken likes to peck her flockmates, that's not as fun. It goes against the norm, but it also causes harm.

lol

Korean Boomhauer

alnilam posted:

lmao

Scaly Haylie

dear byob, what the gently caress is allspice?

Manifisto

lol

Lizard Wizard posted:

good news byob! as my parents have bought a second house i will have more time looking after myself, and you guessed it, learning this cooking thing. at some point i wanna make my own stock, so i'm gonna roast a chicken tomorrow. any tips or recipes you'd recommend?

this is a good thing to try! I think there's a lot of good recipes that are googleable. stick with something pretty simple (like google "simple roast chicken", read a few of the top results and pick one that sounds good). if you don't have a roasting pan, a number of recipes suggest a cast iron or stainless skillet instead which sounds like a good idea, just don't use anything nonstick or with rubber/plastic handles that might melt.

the cooking temps and times of your recipe will probably be a good gauge for knowing when your bird is done, but of course you need to adjust for the weight of your bird. but I will say that when you're starting out an instant-read thermometer, if you have one, is a nice way to double-check that you're done and not overdone.

good luck!

poverty goat

Lizard Wizard posted:

dear byob, what the gently caress is allspice?

the first europeans who found it (in jamaica) thought it tasted like nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon, which were All Of The Spices that some random third-rate English explorers in the age of sail had heard of, so being third-rate Englishmen that's what they named it for all eternity. obviously p shortsighted

alnilam

poverty goat posted:

the first europeans who found it (in jamaica) thought it tasted like nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon, which were All Of The Spices that some random third-rate English explorers in the age of sail had heard of, so being third-rate Englishmen that's what they named it for all eternity. obviously p shortsighted

lol this is like a bagel baker's definition of "everything"

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Lizard Wizard posted:

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/butter-herb-roasted-chicken/a50dd760-76f2-4db7-99a0-df5d94692c49

Betty Crocker was always my "go to" for recipes.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

alnilam

Betty crocker is p good yeah

I think the joy of cooking is excellent as it explains a lot about things and is good for learning a wide range of basics, explains ingredients and how to evaluate and use them, etc

poverty goat

Lizard Wizard posted:

E: I read this as a 2 part question and you don't need to do all this for stock, but you should still roast a chicken this way and eat it and throw the bones in your stock

Here's my advice for roasting a chicken:

• brine the bird, this makes a huge difference and will keep your breasts juicy and succulent. it's one of those things everyone should do all the time but nobody does out of habit, so start now before you start down the path of a lifetime of dry chicken breasts. This will replace the salt however you choose to season it so beware of double salting especially if you use a spice blend or sauce w/ a lot of salt
  • Make an effort to use the word "spatchcock" in everyday conversation and also to do it to the chicken before you roast it. This puts all the meat on the same side of a flat chicken skeleton and is much easier to cook evenly.

Otherwise don't overthink it, a chicken doesn't need much more than salt and pepper to be delicious, but the world is your oyster

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 8, 2018

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

gently caress, there are OYSTERS involved?! I've been making stock wrong

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

brine the bird, this makes a huge difference and will keep your breasts juicy and succulent. it's one of those things everyone should do all the time but nobody does out of habit, so start now before you start down the path of a lifetime of dry chicken breasts. This will replace the salt however you choose to season it so beware of double salting especially if you use a spice blend or sauce w/ a lot of salt

I thought about mentioning this but I didn't want to make liz wiz first chicken roasting experience too intimidating. by all means brine if you feel up to it.

here's a brining hack though: you can always buy a kosher chicken. such chickens are salted during processing which provides very similar benefits to brining.

poverty goat

Do kosher chickens get bleached in the US?

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

Do kosher chickens get bleached in the US?

that is an excellent question. I dunno, and as you've probably observed yourself google doesn't give a ready answer.

I guess there are really two questions: whether kosher certification allows/prohibits bleaching, and if it's allowed whether individual processors use bleach or don't.

I'm gonna guess that if it is technically allowed, there's a pretty decent chance that at least some processors use it, and you'd have to check with each processor about their practices. if they'll tell you that is.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Why would you bleach a chicken?
Also why do olds wash chicken in the sink?

alnilam

Takes too long to fill the bath tub

poverty goat

TVsVeryOwn posted:

American chicken is bleached to control salmonella even though a recent study by the EU showed that it doesn't even kill the salmonella, it just confounds the test

This allows Purdue to sell chickens at a lower price and act like endemic salmonella is fine

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

well the short answer is "food safety," but the longer and truer answer is "it's a shortcut to food safety that is cheaper and easier than actually treating chickens well."

https://theconversation.com/chlorine-washed-chicken-qanda-food-safety-expert-explains-why-us-poultry-is-banned-in-the-eu-81921

efb

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

TVsVeryOwn posted:

salmonella

quote:

salmonellb

Scaly Haylie

i didn't get the kosher, i had enough problems finding a bird the right size, but i am ready to roast a chicken!

as soon as i sit down for a while

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I thought a remembered the sink washing was bad, but it's real bad. Don't put bacteria all over your kitchen. The way to make food safe to eat is heat, not water.

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

hamjobs posted:

gently caress, there are OYSTERS involved?! I've been making stock wrong

Chickens legit have two pieces of meat called the oysters.

e: so do bulls, but that's not exactly the same thing

Olive! fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 8, 2018

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Olive! posted:

Chickens legit have two pieces of meat called the oysters.

chicken butt!

Scaly Haylie

this recipe calls for fresh sage and thyme, but could i instead use this bottle of herbs de provence (dried basil, fennel, marjoram, parsley, rosemary, lavender, tarragon, thyme) that was in the spice place?

edit: i am going to be chopping some sage and adding it to the herbs de provence.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 8, 2018

alnilam

Yeah herbs de provence will go fine with anything savory imo

Scaly Haylie

it was 2 teaspoons each sage and thyme, i'm only concerned with fresh sage, should i do 3 teaspoons of hdp with 1 teaspoon of f'sage, OR 3.5 teaspoons of hdp with half a teaspoon of f'sage?

alnilam

I would do the former but i think in the long run you'll find both would be delicious

these are the kind of decisions you have to learn to not sweat

Scaly Haylie

oh god, byob, fresh spices smell so good.

Scaly Haylie

fucky dammit i bought vegetable borth instead of chicken broth, brb

alnilam

Uae the veg broth it's fine

Scaly Haylie

alnilam posted:

ty al!!!

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Use the vegetable broth.

Also use less dried herbs than you would use fresh.

Robot Made of Meat

alnilam posted:

You're cooking a chiggen. Hot plus time plus whatever will work just fine. As long as it's heated through and not incinerated, it's dinner.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

I would do the former but i think in the long run you'll find both would be delicious

these are the kind of decisions you have to learn to not sweat

seconding this

for a slightly more fulsome answer (in case you care): dried herbs are in general a lot more powerful, ounce for ounce, than fresh herbs. so if you're substituting fresh for dried, increase the amount of fresh (depends on the herb, but maybe double or more). if your'e swapping in dried, use less than the recipe calls for.

however when it comes to herbs there's a lot of personal preference involved. you have a lot more leeway than, say, baking recipes that depend on precision for success.

Scaly Haylie

fug, i forgot how bad i am at chopping garlic

Manifisto

Robot Made of Meat posted:

You're cooking a chiggen. Hot plus time plus whatever will work just fine. As long as it's heated through and not incinerated, it's dinner.

agreed, although with chicken "heated through" does mean "cooked to at least the minimum internal temperature." undercooked or even raw beef is palatable to many, depending on your preferences. undercooked chicken is disgusting or downright inedible to most.

Scaly Haylie

who put skin on all this garlic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

I mean, I would have said "inedible to everybody" but chicken sashimi is apparently a thing :barf: