Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

I watched liar liar today and its representation of the legal profession prior to the birthday wish is startlingly accurate.

Maybe, but realistically, how would you know?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I've done some scenes from pinafore but no full g&s works. I'm glad I didn't get any scenes from the Mikado.

I prefer Puccini and Verdi, in that order

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I just had to make sure a summer made it into her uber because she had no idea where she was or who she was. Good times.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
had case that got major media attention nationally. Now resisting urge to correct reporters and commenters anytime they say something that is so... clearly... incorrect. I need to just turn off my google alert.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Be careful ar idiots will doxx and murder you

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Yup. which is exactly why I am not commenting. And won't.

But...the....wrong....it's just... so...

wrong.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

I’m not going to try to look it up for privacy reasons, but I assume if it falls on your docket and it’s a big media story that means a wrongfully convicted man was allowed to go free. :clint:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

had case that got major media attention nationally. Now resisting urge to correct reporters and commenters anytime they say something that is so... clearly... incorrect. I need to just turn off my google alert.

I had this and this is so goddamn annoying
Also other lawyers who gather at conferences to discuss the case and start spewing incorrect bullshit

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mikeraskol posted:

I just had to make sure a summer made it into her uber because she had no idea where she was or who she was. Good times.

That Uber is now covered in vomit

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Dagda posted:

I’m not going to try to look it up for privacy reasons, but I assume if it falls on your docket and it’s a big media story that means a wrongfully convicted man was allowed to go free. :clint:

The degree and nature to which you are incorrect is actual comedic irony.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Every now and then I wonder if I'm actually a nerd because I post on these forums, and then I'm reminded that "no, I am not." when 12 of ya'll launch into page-long discussions of poo poo like this:

Alaemon posted:

Pirates was my first, but admittedly the Joseph Papp production with Kevin Kline (who I still quite like as Pirate King). The thing the Papp does especially well that I love is the humor behind "With Cat-Like Tread." The Pirates doing this super-fortissimo song about being stealthy is always funny to me, and the movie goes full-bore with that aspect.

I play a bard in a friend's D&D campaign and I randomly blurted out a verse of Modern-Major General mid-session (because something made me think "I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's..." was germane). It was one of those awkward moments where I thought "I'm sitting here playing D&D and I still might be too nerdy for this crowd."

Without delving into the debate surrounding Mikado, I think it's one of their best works. Both G and S are at the top of their respective games. Give me a good performance of "The Sun Whose Rays" and I am doing fine. It's one of those pieces like (non-G&S) "Un bel di" or the Flower Duet from Lakme that put me in (the closest thing my dark, shriveled heart has to) my happy place.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Yeah what the gently caress is it with everyone and G&S?

When Sondheim is so vastly superior. :getin:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

I already mentioned the best composers ever so we can probably wrap this conversation up

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Whitlam posted:

Funny you say that. The aforementioned paid gig is for a Sondheim show. :D

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Every now and then I wonder if I'm actually a nerd because I post on these forums, and then I'm reminded that "no, I am not." when 12 of ya'll launch into page-long discussions of poo poo like this:

I don't know what g&s is and am not going to look it up. Plus I'm too busy discoing around Japan in Yakuza 0

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Whenever I see my name in a news article my blood pressure jumps as I scan for what was misquoted or misunderstood. In particular the regular court reporters are at times comically bad at getting what’s going on.

A little while ago I actually corrected the news reports on the record “for the benefit of the court.” The judge replied “that doesn’t help me at all. I don’t know why you’re telling me this.”

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

I don't know what g&s is and am not going to look it up. Plus I'm too busy discoing around Japan in Yakuza 0

This is more me.

Majima is the best videogame character I've seen in years.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainScraps posted:

This is more me.

Majima is the best videogame character I've seen in years.

I'm enjoying Kiryu more but I'm only at chapter 5. Majimas intro was phenomenal though

kiryu being 100% serious when fighting Yakuza crime lords and also 100% serious when karaoking or answering the phone is phenomenal. It's really got metal gear vibes of tonal whiplash that elevates the material

The loving massage place with majima my God

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

blarzgh posted:

You’re still a loving nerd. You’re just an uncultured nerd.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

I'm enjoying Kiryu more but I'm only at chapter 5. Majimas intro was phenomenal though

kiryu being 100% serious when fighting Yakuza crime lords and also 100% serious when karaoking or answering the phone is phenomenal. It's really got metal gear vibes of tonal whiplash that elevates the material

The loving massage place with majima my God

Ok

So

Yakuza 0 Majima isn't the same Majima as the rest of the series in terms of temperament. He's like Japanese Deadpool. But way more awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lycnnem2kFI&t=0m16s No spoilers in this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainScraps posted:

Ok

So

Yakuza 0 Majima isn't the same Majima as the rest of the series in terms of temperament. He's like Japanese Deadpool. But way more awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lycnnem2kFI&t=0m16s No spoilers in this.

Why is he wearing that hat

Also why are kiryu and majima forced to wear shirts so much, there's no reason they should ever do that

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 8, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

Also why are kiryu and majima forced to wear shirts so much, there's no reason they should ever do that

I can't stand anime myself.

Busy building my own doors this weekend, should be a laugh.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

Because he owns a loving awesome construction company

Go do all the karaoke songs. I mean it. They're the best.

My wife: "Every Kiryu sub-story is the same. Someone does something wrong. Kiryu makes a stank face and beats everyone to death."

Me: "Is there anything wrong with that?"

Her: "Nah, I think it's great."

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 8, 2018

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Whitlam posted:

Holy poo poo, are we going to segue from G&S chat into Sondheim chat? THIS IS THE BEST THREAD.

Everybody rise! Rise! Rise!

(If the next topic of conversation is how to fix Chess, I'll know you're all gaslighting me.)

Alaemon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 8, 2018

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

ActusRhesus posted:

Funny you say that. The aforementioned paid gig is for a Sondheim show. :D

You are finally doing something good and worthwhile with your life.

(For real though, 'grats and break a leg.)

Alaemon posted:

Holy poo poo, are we going to segue from G&S chat into Sondheim chat? THIS IS THE BEST THREAD.

Everybody rise! Rise! Rise!

(If the next topic of conversation is how to fix Chess, I'll know you're all gaslighting me.)

My high school theatre teacher met Sondheim. It was the night of our year 12 formal (equivalent of senior prom, I think), and Sondheim was doing a talk in the city, so I went basically straight from that to the formal. When I got there, the teacher told me what had happened and why he was late. He'd been at a hotel bar and when he went to the bathroom, Sondheim walked in, to which all he could think of to say was "oh my God, you're Stephen Sondheim! You made me not hate musical theatre." They briefly chatted, and Sondheim invited him back to his table, where he was sitting with his good mate Geoffrey Rush. They invited him to hang out but he declined and came to the formal instead, for reasons I will never understand, but aren't "stdh".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

My five year old just requested Company for a lullaby. Kinda proud.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Also the way to fix chess is the same way you fix Jekyll and Hyde. Skip the dialogue.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I don't know what anyone is taking about. Musicals and Japanese cartoons?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Roger_Mudd posted:

I don't know what anyone is taking about. Musicals and Japanese cartoons?

Just know that we all agree the former is good and the latter is bad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m not personally a fan of musicals.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hoshi posted:

Just know that we all agree the former is good and the latter is bad

But both are terrible?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Musicals are what theater dorks all tacitly agree to pretend to like because they know nobody else will so they'll have something that 'normies' don't.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 13, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That sounds absolutely awful. English culture is sick and disgusting and not even in a fun way and should be forgotten instead of celebrated

Disgusting

And I say this as someone who's more English than anything else

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

You’re dead to me, DV.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

That sounds absolutely awful. English culture is sick and disgusting and not even in a fun way and should be forgotten instead of celebrated

Disgusting

And I say this as someone who's more English than anything else

Can confirm that G&S is old person British as gently caress. This is a few blocks from my house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 13, 2021