Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I thought most brick walls these days were really brick facades over something with better structural characteristics. I guess in an earthquake there's still the potential for flying bricks, which isn't exactly a good time, but the wall itself shouldn't be any more vulnerable to earthquakes than a normal, non-brick wall would be.

In modern construction, yes! But exposed brick is en vogue so you find lots of loft type spaces converted to bars and the original, grandfathered-in brick walls preserved.

The 2010 Christchurch earthquake is a good example to use. One historic neighborhood of the kind of old-style mixed use buildings and rowhouses had many of the brick facades collapse into the street, killing a fuckload of people. Older buildings also have lots of clay tile partitions for fire barriers which is also no good. But...there is no driver in many jurisdictions to justify a life-safety retrofit to stud walls on partitions or reinforcing nonstructural walls and veneers.

To their credit, a parapet requirement was added in SF for brick and masonry parapets that collapsed during Loma Prieta, but full height brick walls never got a hard R requirement unless it was new construction.

Hell, soft story laws are mostly voluntary compliance until the last 2-3 years where LA and SF started to get a little more serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fully brick walls are also normal in new construction in the uk, depending on the profit margin and preferences of the builder, though internal walls are usually stud anyway. No significant earthquakes though.

I had to replace a bunch of brick walls in my house during renovation because you could almost push them over.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

As a technical writer I constantly proofread everything I see, it's reflexive and not really something I can choose to "turn off."

:hf:

Same here, but it's probably a good thing since the engineers I work with write like Google Translate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Blindeye posted:

In modern construction, yes! But exposed brick is en vogue so you find lots of loft type spaces converted to bars and the original, grandfathered-in brick walls preserved.

The 2010 Christchurch earthquake is a good example to use. One historic neighborhood of the kind of old-style mixed use buildings and rowhouses had many of the brick facades collapse into the street, killing a fuckload of people.

One of my former coworkers came from Brazil and constantly complained about how our homes were built out of drywall and sticks instead of real man materials like bricks. We don't get earthquakes, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I live in one of the worst earthquake regions in the world but because we've never had "the big one" most of our downtown are turn of the century brick buildings. Not going to be good when we do finally get a proper quake. A lot of them have been gutted and turned into condos and part of that involves reinforcing for earthquake, but there's really only so much you can do.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

kid sinister posted:

Fire exit is blocked, opens inwards, no door handle.

To be fair, the fire would probably burn through that door before you even got lightly singed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The worst fire code stuff I ever see is 90% at restaurants. Space is money, so they will so often block their secondary exits with tables and things. A lot of older buildings here only have access from one side so the secondary exit needs to be a fire rated corridor stretching from the back of the building out to the street. Guess what space a ton of restaurants turn into a storage room?

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

poemdexter posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the state that footed the repair bill.

It's still in the courts I think but the state fronted the emrgency repairs and is after ~90 million from DuPont and the three companies who leased that land.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kid sinister posted:

Surely the decorative plate is rated to hundreds of pounds of pull force though, right?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I bet the fire door is actually a proper fire door, and it's simply concealed BEHIND that flammable and difficult to open hinged panel. What could go wrong?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I thought it was this one,

http://www.everythingsouthcity.com/san-bruno-bridge-at-s-airport-blvd-emergency-bridge-closure/

That properly hosed commute traffic for a couple of days until people found new routes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kid sinister posted:

I like that they put 2 fake doors on either side that look exactly the same, that's the type of extra effort you don't normally see from someone trying to kill a room of people.

Reminds me of MXC where they have to run full speed at the walls they think are paper.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Welp since I've got this on my phone rn

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One of my former coworkers came from Brazil and constantly complained about how our homes were built out of drywall and sticks instead of real man materials like bricks. We don't get earthquakes, though.

There is no place on Earth that doesn't get earthquakes. It's just a matter of frequency.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd have thought amplitude

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:haw:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
On fire code stuff, I was at a large outdoor concert venue that had new-ish permanent buildings for restrooms, which had enforced circulation - e.g. you come in this door, go out that door. I thought "why would you go the long way to use the exit when you could be lazy and exit through the entrance" and then noticed that the entrance door, which would have to pull from the inside, had no door handles. "Ah, that's smart!" I thought to myself. "But what happens in a fire? They must just direct you to the other door" and then I looked up and saw the fire exit sign located above the door that's impossible to open from the inside.

I submitted a web complaint to the fire marshal, and got a call back in 10 minutes asking for details, since they have folks on site during large events. When I left they had the door propped open with a doorstop. I'm a true American hero.

Take that, Merriweather Post Pavilion owners

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Devor posted:

On fire code stuff, I was at a large outdoor concert venue that had new-ish permanent buildings for restrooms, which had enforced circulation - e.g. you come in this door, go out that door. I thought "why would you go the long way to use the exit when you could be lazy and exit through the entrance" and then noticed that the entrance door, which would have to pull from the inside, had no door handles. "Ah, that's smart!" I thought to myself. "But what happens in a fire? They must just direct you to the other door" and then I looked up and saw the fire exit sign located above the door that's impossible to open from the inside.

I submitted a web complaint to the fire marshal, and got a call back in 10 minutes asking for details, since they have folks on site during large events. When I left they had the door propped open with a doorstop. I'm a true American hero.

That’s awesome!

One of the saddest details from that Brazil nightclub fire a couple years ago was the number of people who went into the restroom thinking it was the exit and died.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Devor posted:

They are no strangers to crappy construction

(It was on jacks during renovations)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

Just saw this on reddit, speaking of fire safety. This is why fire doors must be kept closed, or even exist.
Apparently even just keeping a regular-rear end door closed can help a lot, from another pic in that reddit thread:

quote:

Current Firefighter. I saw a hollow core, cheap interior home depot door that held for 7 minutes against a fully involved room fire.

Now that may not sound like much. But 7 minutes is a god drat eternity in a fire. Close those doors my friends. It really does make a big difference.

This is the photo we always use as an example. It's quasi internet famous on all the firefighting forums.

Now if only I had a solution to keeping my bedroom door shut at night that didn't involve a cat screaming at me to open it every 10 minutes...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Haifisch posted:

Apparently even just keeping a regular-rear end door closed can help a lot, from another pic in that reddit thread:

Now if only I had a solution to keeping my bedroom door shut at night that didn't involve a cat screaming at me to open it every 10 minutes...

I really wanted a cat door to the garage for litter reasons but that’s a rated door and a bad idea. What I wanted was a fire rated cat door but even if there is one I’m too cheap, I’ll just keep their poops in the basement.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How about an interior window at a cat-friendly height?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

peanut posted:

How about an interior window at a cat-friendly height?
Unless the window is fire rated when open you're not getting any benefit over leaving the door open.

I mean technically the opening is slightly smaller I guess.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
A catflap would always let fire through wouldnt it? From the heat increasing pressure which would open the flap?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
We just trained our cats to gently caress off at night. Took us like six weeks and we replaced the bedroom door afterward.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

underage at the vape shop posted:

A catflap would always let fire through wouldnt it? From the heat increasing pressure which would open the flap?

I have a doggy door that has little magnets on it to hold it closed against minor breezes. I have no idea what the pressure differential would be in the event of a fire, but it might be enough.

Of course the flap, being made of plastic, would melt and catch fire way before the rest of the door does. Maybe you could make a doggy door out of, like, articulated panels, kind of like a garage door.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Clearly it needs to be steel coiling door with a thermocouple that will drop in case of fire, and tied into the fire alarm system to shut when alarmed. With a sensor bar so it doesn’t smush Garfield.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just fire rate your cat and get an engineer to sign off on your alternate solutions.

Also loving lol at people who let their pets dictate things. Train yo beasts.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Beasts? gently caress that those are my familiars.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Devor posted:

My experience with fire marshals is that they tend to be fairly responsive to things like this. If it's a fire safety issue but more along the lines of a dumb mistake, then the conversation is them noting the violation, mentioning they are gonna grab a bite to eat and if it's fixed when they get back then no harm no foul. Just don't do it again.

On one occasion, I saw the handy work of a company that had decided to self-install maglocks. Usually with maglocks, they are tied into the fire system so that if a fire alarm goes off then power is cut. That way they fail safe to allow free egress. This wasn't done, and the doors were fire doors. It's not in the IBC to require this any more but just about every AHJ I've interacted with expects it and most local codes still require it.

To compound their issue, the IBC does still require RTE devices. These are things like motion detectors, crash bars, exit buttons that cut power to the lock. So if some other event happens, there is free egress. They didn't install those either. Opening it required a badge and only manager and above badges could open it. And just because they seemed hell bent on trying to piss off the Fire Marshal, they felt that the required permitting process was optional and just decided not to do it.

I got an angry phone call from the Fire Marshal because they told him that I said it was okay. After being told to get my rear end over there, I had to show the Fire Marshal the e-mail where they asked if this was okay and could I sign off on it. My response been to say it was a code violation, don't do that period. And I wasn't an AHJ. I could do design work but the Fire Marshals and Building Inspectors had final say, not me. They never reached out to me after that, and I didn't do any design work for it. So the Fire Marshal stopped being angry at me but did make me accompany him and the business owner as he did a tour of the facility. Every little infraction that they would usually give a warning on resulted in a citation. Stuff like power strips plugged into power strips. And then he shut the building down.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thomamelas posted:

I got an angry phone call from the Fire Marshal because they told him that I said it was okay. After being told to get my rear end over there, I had to show the Fire Marshal the e-mail where they asked if this was okay and could I sign off on it. My response been to say it was a code violation, don't do that period. And I wasn't an AHJ. I could do design work but the Fire Marshals and Building Inspectors had final say, not me. They never reached out to me after that, and I didn't do any design work for it. So the Fire Marshal stopped being angry at me but did make me accompany him and the business owner as he did a tour of the facility. Every little infraction that they would usually give a warning on resulted in a citation. Stuff like power strips plugged into power strips. And then he shut the building down.

That's some delicious schadenfreude.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Wow, they actually inlaid the hand rail.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

My knuckles hurt just looking at that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That or he has such a powerful sense of duty he can't help himself. Either way: :yayclod:

I figure if you specialize in knowing all the ways a bridge can fall down, eventually it starts to be like They Live where you see the crappy construction all around you.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That becomes a thing no matter what trade you're in.

I can't go anywhere now without inspecting ductwork, or looking at refrigerant lines, or wanting to open all the doors on a display case to test the torquemasters.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Same here. I can’t look at any sort of rod or pole and not think “how can i grease that sumbitch down and shove it up my butt?”

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Thirding. I can't go into a house without noticing lovely drywall seams or old water damage. Any holes in a roof (i.e. skylights) make me cringe. I hate OSB with a fiery passion.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kid sinister posted:

I’m the latch made out of a chunk of offcut and a piece of metal strapping drywall-screwed together, and gouging the gently caress out of the wall.

Thomamelas posted:

My experience with fire marshals is that they tend to be fairly responsive to things like this. If it's a fire safety issue but more along the lines of a dumb mistake, then the conversation is them noting the violation, mentioning they are gonna grab a bite to eat and if it's fixed when they get back then no harm no foul. Just don't do it again.

On one occasion, I saw the handy work of a company that had decided to self-install maglocks. Usually with maglocks, they are tied into the fire system so that if a fire alarm goes off then power is cut. That way they fail safe to allow free egress. This wasn't done, and the doors were fire doors. It's not in the IBC to require this any more but just about every AHJ I've interacted with expects it and most local codes still require it.

To compound their issue, the IBC does still require RTE devices. These are things like motion detectors, crash bars, exit buttons that cut power to the lock. So if some other event happens, there is free egress. They didn't install those either. Opening it required a badge and only manager and above badges could open it. And just because they seemed hell bent on trying to piss off the Fire Marshal, they felt that the required permitting process was optional and just decided not to do it.

I like this story, a LOT. :commissar:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

I can't go into a house without noticing lovely drywall seamspassion.

Same but my own house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I don't remember Peewee's Playhouse having a stairwell.