Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

That looks really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Solumin posted:

That looks really good!

Thank you! I'm glad you guys like it!

Also, Chief Sherles has now been completed, as well. We'll see if I can manage some of the others; Officer Johnson is proving hard to find, and I'm sure others are going to be just as elusive.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've put Duking in the most recent update, so you can see how it compares. When you make anymore, PM them me so we don't clutter up the thread.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Those Ludicolo are the main reason I grinded Noctowl for Mirror B. Water/Grass is a very good typing.

His theme music rules tho

: Hi grandpa. This is my Thomas, my not-boyfriend who is also certainly not a ex-con with a penchant for explosives

: ... :smuggo:

Oh, it gets worse. At least, if you're Japanese...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah there we go, I completely forgot about Japanese Rui! Yeah, yikes, horny Japanese men are some of my least favourite kinds of horny creative men.

Oh yeah, Part 2 has updated images, so now I can focus on the LP proper, especially now that I'm not waiting for nicknames!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Rui is an alien creature masquerading as human. Humans do not have that much empty space in the middle of our faces.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

Oh, it gets worse. At least, if you're Japanese...

...she shows her bellybutton? oh no my virgin eyes.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
There is a lot of that model that hits uncanny valley in a bad way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why is her stomach 80% of her upper body?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

...she shows her bellybutton? oh no my virgin eyes.

Nah, it's more the skirt that just barely manages to cover her panties (which was lengthened slightly, in the localization). Besides, I was adding on to Nissin's joke from last page; about how Rui got herself mixed up with a questionable man (our protragonist) :cheeky: .

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 6: Finally Some Gosh Darn Purification

Cipher Battle

Welcome back, we've gotta stop Celebi from being captured in a Dark Ball! No, uh, we need to stop the head of Cipher from gaining visions of the future from Celebi's power! Hmm, what were we meant to be doing...?

Bayleef just can't stay away from Secret Power.

Why are the villagers here so ridiculously strong?

Seems like there's another Cipher Peon with Fire Pokemon up ahead.

Aww, phooey! I'm not feeling well today!

Get used to this, Cipher Peons like falling down from above.

This game has been averse to Fire type themed trainers. A shame too, as Baltoy is annoying to take out without Bayleef or Remoraid.

Little boy, you're shockingly strong!

Should be fine if his Pokemon are strong, I'd be surprised if we fought another Ciper Boss so soon.

I can see that you are a senior citizen, but I cannot allow you to interfere with our affairs.

You're the ones interfering! Shady creeps like you, I'll personally run out!

Ahahah. Now, now. Someone so old shouldn't overdo it.

Don't take me for a fool! I'll have you know I was once hailed the most powerful trainer! That isn't all either. I have a comrade with whom I've been through thick and thin! This is the first POKEMON I got, and it's been with me ever since! Okay, PIKACHU! We haven't battled this much in a while! Let's keep focused!

This should be easy enough, a Thunderbolt should take Hitmontop out.

...E-Eagun

The hell did I just watch?

Grandpa! PIKACHU! How dare you? You'll never get away with this!

Ah... now here's someone who may show me a more enjoyable time. Very well. En garde!

Let's just pretend that previous battle never happened.

Shadow Tag means that Remoraid is a sitting, uh, fish, so I'll revive him next turn so he doesn't miss out on experience.

Hitmontop, 45 catch rate (40%, low health, paralyzed, Great Ball), starting moves: Triple Kick, Rapid Spin, Focus Energy, Shadow Rush/Agility

Out of the few Fighting types in this game, Hitmontop is an alright one, if being pretty limited in options. It's a nice defensive mon since Intimidate is an amazing ability in doubles but Triple Kick is not that great of a move, as it only has 60BP in total and can cause abilities like Rough Skin and Static to activate quite frequently, as we just saw. Brick Break will be an alright option and you'll also have Return and Earthquake, but again, it's three good TMs on one Pokemon. There's nothing else aside from that, but you'll be excellent against physical attacks like Rock or Ground types. Meditite has much more power and Makuhita has better moves, but Hitmontop is definitely a fine choice, if a bit weaker.

While I try to catch this thing, I'll put a Reflect up, since Wynaut will just use Mirror Coat over and over. I would be foolish to use any special move against it, since it seems to think I like using STAB.

Skrub can be a bit tough, but his team is more defensive than anything, so they won't be doing much damage to you. Don't worry, the Clamperl isn't holding its evolution items, that would just be obnoxious.

Geodude went down in one Confusion, so no point giving it precious screenshot space.

Agate Village

Grandpa! Are you okay?!

I'm fine. But my partner! Ah, you're safe! Good, good. You battled with honor. If your opponent was any ordinary POKEMON, you would have won. So, that was a SHADOW POKEMON... ANCA. And THOMAS, am I right? Thank you for helping us. We should go home for the time being.

Those crooks... they said they were out to capture CELEBI and destroy the RELIC STONE. Hmmm... why? Might there be a connection between CELEBI and SHADOW POKEMON?

Oh, no, that's no good. We came here because we thought you would know something, Grandpa.

Hmm... sorry to disappoint you. Oh, yes! Dear, didn't we have a stone tablet? It had something about the RELIC carved into it.

Ah, yes! Yes, we did have such a stone tablet. Now where could I have put it away? Let me go look for it upstairs. It may take time, so please be patient.

Go see an old man named SENILOR. He lives near the POKE MART down the hill. SENILOR is the authority when it comes to CELEBI. That is, if he remembers...

We'll get a very important from Hitmontop first and then head to our destination, Meditite will appreciate this.

He's been getting pretty forgetful lately, though. I'm afraid he might not be much help to you.

Have no fear. No problem! Forget something that important? That's not going to happen! Let me start with the RELIC in the RELIC FOREST. According to ancient lore, the RELIC is said to hold the power of time travel for CELEBI. That mystical power is said to revive the most pleasant, most enjoyable memories of POKEMON. If only it worked on me and brought back memories of my youth. Hohoho.

That is all one needs to bring CELEBI to the RELIC FOREST. CELEBI will surely cause darkness to flee from the hearts of any POKEMON.

"In AGATE's mystic RELIC, CELEBI's power shelters. A heart imprisoned by shadows. Its last door shall be opened By the power within."

The RELIC must have some effect on SHADOW POKEMON. I will leave that for you to determine for yourselves.

Gah! Since when did this thing have an email function?

Man these guys are doing a lot of sequential things. Makes my life easier at least.

We can't let this go on! THOMAS, let's go! Oh wait... Grandpa, where is MT. BATTLE, anyway?

MT. BATTLE is to the northeast. You can see it in the distance once you leave the village. Hurry, ANCA!

Relic Forest

Yeah yeah yeah we'll get to it in just a moment. Let's finally, FINALLY, purify our Shadow Pokemon. It is well overdue.

Celebi is a problem, we should probably put a cap in its rear end. And that meddling stone, too.

Our whole team has been at an empty gauge for quite a while now, so this is pretty satisfying, even if it's annoying having to wait so long.

Shadow Rush is replaced by the final starting move and we get all of the exp the Pokemon started gaining from the third gauge on.

It'll go through each level one by one so you don't miss out on any moves it would learn during that time. But that's not all.

Once it gains its experience, then it can evolve. This is why you shouldn't use Swablu much, since it'll evolve at a level later than it first can and you'll miss out on Dragonbreath. I'll try and note any time this happens, but thankfully it's just been the one Pokemon for now. Weird we're first evolving something on the sixth update, huh? BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

The Pokemon will get a ribbon to show off that it was once a Shadow Pokemon, and we can nickname it, cause using the species name was getting weird.

Thanks to Leraika for this nickname.

Seems we just made it to level 35 as well. Now Magnolia has our OT and ID and is 100% our Pokemon. That we stole. Don't worry about it.

Next up is Flaaffy, getting a much needed power boost.

Darn, I thought I was using everyone equally, but that's a lot less exp than Magnolia. Oh well, means I need to use Flaaffy more moving on.

Here's another much needed power boost and then a nickname by Zack Ater, a real good name that was totally not an accident, since it's a way Umbreon can stay on the team. But, you know, not actually stay on the team.

Well at least he's halfway to 34.

The big question is, did Remoraid get enough to catch up with the team?

Uh, no, not even close. Not even enough to evolve, BARELY! I used it in every fight and everything. Oh well, Mawuh will be caught up soon enough, but he'll need some more babying. Nickname is from Sordas Volantyr.

I used Meditite a bit when I got him, but not enough to evolve, right?

Okay, good, it's always tricky getting all your Shadow Pokemon at an equal level when you finally purify them, since there's no way to check. Shame Umbreon isn't up with the rest of the team, but it's only a bit more exp. Nickname by, uh, Leraika.

We've still got one Pokemon missing out on all the nickname fun, so let's give one to Espeon too.

It is a better name than before! Why, this name's luckiness... why, it goes right off the scale! You'll do well to cherish your CARBUNCLE now and beyond.

We'll also be giving Umbreon a nickname since he'll still have his uses every now and then. Carbuncle was by... Leraika again??? drat, you were on fire with these. Umbreoff was by Jade Rider.

We've still got a bunch more Shadow Pokemon to purify, but if you're not using them in battles, then what's the quickest way to purify them? Unfortunately, it's walking around, like hatching a really stubborn Egg. Thankfully, there's a way around this, the two cliffs by the village entrance are a bit buggy, so you can walk to the south edge and just hold down. The screen will shake, but it'll count as steps, so just hold the control stick down with something and, uh, have something to eat, go shopping, play the entirety of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, whatever, until they're ready to go.

That's still really boring though, so I'm using an AR code to set the Heart Gauge to 0. Much better, but, uh, see you in like 30 mins while I do everyone.

There we go, that's nearly all of them. I'll be doing them in batches of 6 when the mood strikes me, but we've still got space for one, so I'll be walking Sudowoodo around, it shouldn't be too long, it's only one of the hardest Pokemon to purify. That's not a rock pun.

Okay, now that we're all done in Agate Village, where next?

It's actually the Outskirt Stand! When you get Duking's email, the selection of items expands, including some very important Pokeballs. You can imagine the Shadow Pokemon we'll eventually have to catch, the box art gives it away, after all, so we need some sterner stuff. Timer Balls are pretty great, since they're better than Ultra Balls after 10 turns, which long battles involving Shadow Pokemon will end up doing, so you definitely want to grab these.

Nest Balls, however, are NEARLY completely useless, since they only work better on Pokemon lower than level 30. Well, you start encountering Shadow Pokemon AT level 30 and only Remoraid has been lower than that. Only one other Shadow Pokemon will also be at that level, so if you want a cool Pokeball to shove something in, then go right ahead. And while we've caught a fair few Bug and Water types, there's still 5 more of those we can catch, so get a few if nothing else.

Mt. Battle

Let's go to Mt. Battle. You should get supplied up before you come here, you're gonna need it. The music would also be the Pyrite Building, since Cipher is invading, but that's boring, here's the cool theme instead.

Who knew how easy it would be to take over a place full of strong trainers?

Those attackers... how dare they attack others without any regard for the rules? They're failures as trainers! But anyway... uh... oh, yes, I'm the MOVE DELETER.

Since there aren't HMs that can't be forgotten, the Move Deleter is kinda pointless in this game. This is where a Move Reminder guy should be, but nope, not in this game! There's also the center and the coupon exchange, but we either can't or don't do anything with them.

You see, it was me who contacted DUKING for help. I didn't think you would get here so quickly. But please be careful. The power of their POKEMON isn't normal.

Alright, we need to head out onto the mountain itself. Hope we don't have to do all 100 battles to clear these guys out!

Gotta start at 1.

Trainer Battle

Well this is awkward, Umbreon can't damage these Ground types, since he has Thunderbolt and Thundershock and we haven't gotten any TMs to help with this.

Still, Mawuh is happy, even if he won't be able to take a single hit.

Might as well get most of the team out for some fun, but hopefully this won't be too annoying for Umbreon.

Didn't Mawuh get a level up?

Aw yeah, it's Octillery time. And yeah, I know Octazooka is a less accurate Bubblebeam and an accuracy drop isn't as good as a Speed drop (in most circumstances), but I'm using an Octillery, I can't not use Octazooka!

Time for number 2.

Not only is it two more Ground types, but they also know Dig! Joy! Octazooka lookin good at least.

I'm going to get reprimanded, too!

Not too bad so far, but there's still plenty of battles to go.

The third trainer in a row using solely Ground types. I... I need experience for Umbreon, why are you doing this to me game?

Ah, the joys of double battles. Nice going idiot.

Now what are the chances of four trainers in a row having nothing but Ground types?

Okay, good, this makes things so much easier.

Well it was good enough, I suppose.

The real battles begin after me!

Umbreon is at level 34, so if I can get just one more level for him he'll be all caught up and I won't have to keep switching him out when Ground types appear. But really, what are the chances of another trainer having nothing but Ground types?

How ironic. Still, if I can knock out this Trapinch, I can switch Umbreon out.

Why do you have two???

The way the camera pans round when the weather activates is always cool, especially in important fights.

You can't even knock out your own teammate with a crit! Honestly...

At least it's not a Ground type, even if it resists Electric.

The next time we meet, I really won't let you escape!

Now we're past the halfway point, it's been fun using our newly powered up team.

Ah, not a Ground type to be seen. It's wonderful.

Ooh, that's some good poo poo, even our starter could use a little boost to keep him competitive.

Nobody would pay to see my show...

I feel like I've heard that before.

Well crap, not only is he using Ground types, but they're evolved too! We'll give Dhalsim some kills.

Since Dig was used before I switched Umbreon, I know exactly who's being targeted.

Alright, let's stop this nonsense by kicking Vibrava. There's no way it uses Dig twice in a row, right?

gently caress

Ah well, I'm sure Dhalsim will shine soon enough.

Cipher Battle

Ohoh, now these are definitely trainers that don't often have Ground types.

It's been a bit rough, Umbreon, but I think we're in the clear.

No point buffing with Calm Mind when you lose most of your health in one shot.

Okay, just one more trainer to go it looks like. Man the updates where I cover this place are gonna be looooooong.

I hate this place...

And a crit Selfdestruct to top it off. Even at 75% power, these explosive moves are still very dangerous.

Master DAKIM will deflate your pride real quick!

Next time, it's the next Ciper Admin. Have you saved? You should probably go back and save...

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 10, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't comment on it before, but I dug the whole "you stockpile exp" thing this & XD did, it's fun to purify a Pokemon (I actually did things the hard way and cycled shadow pokemon in & out, or grinded them in various areas) and have them get a ton of exp & levels all at once.

Also thank gently caress Hitmontop is male only because otherwise it probably wouldn't be in the game at all and we'd have to deal with evolving this stupid thing for real. I've sent thsi same Hitmontop to dang near every game after this because evolving Tyrogue is just awful.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh yeah, here we loving go boyyyzzzz

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I don't understand the problem here. A guy and his two buddies just got off work, which is why they're still in uniform, and decide to hang out by going to what looks like the equivalent of the Battle Tower in this region. And here we are coming in trying to stop these guys from having a fair challenge?

:thunk:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The real Pokemon Colosseum starts now!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The guy named Skrub wasn't a scrub?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The guy named Skrub wasn't a scrub?

Only by virtue of someone being a bigger scrub, perhaps.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I wonder what Pokemon think when their trainers move to a place where Pokemon don't live naturally.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

I've always like Mt. Battle a lot more than the various Battle Frontiers. Walking up all the interconnected platforms gives you a sense of actual progression as you go up the mountain, versus you just standing in one place and having other trainers challenge you. The Trainer Tower in FireRed/LeafGreen's Sevii Islands is the closest thing to that sense of physical progression that I've seen in the main series.

I still question both the mechanics and the sanity of using moves like Dig/Earthquake/Magnitude/Hi Jump Kick on the Mt Battle platforms, especially since both trainers are standing on them while the battle's going on. I dunno what Dhalsim crashed into, but if he keeps it up he's going to end up flying feet-first right off the side of Mt Battle.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 10, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

No rules no masters earthquake spam 4/20 every day

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

These are my favorite pokemon games, thank you for LPing them, especially in SS. Not sure if I'm gonna read this while its running so wanted to make sure I thanked you.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I too am sporadically reading these LP's. Started reading when you started yellow and am currently going through the end of Crystal. I just wanted to say that I really enjoy these LP's and you're style of writing.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I had forgotten how bizarrely long it takes you to get the Purify mechanic in this game. The aesthetics on it look very nice, though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Aww cheers guys, make sure you don't skip Conquest, cause it's an LP I'm super chuffed with.

I probably shouldn't be using Hi Jump Kick and Octazooka, but I love me my reckless strong thematic moves.

ALSO, got a big chunk of portraits from Fionordequester and they've been added to every update. They're looking amazing!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

No rules no masters earthquake spam 4/20 every day

Don't doxx how I played Ruby version as a child

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

LordHippoman posted:

I had forgotten how bizarrely long it takes you to get the Purify mechanic in this game. The aesthetics on it look very nice, though.

Part of me is assuming the developers wanted players to rotate their Pokemon around so that the Shadow Pokemon you capture up to that point get equal coverage before purifying them or some such.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Aww cheers guys, make sure you don't skip Conquest, cause it's an LP I'm super chuffed with.

I probably shouldn't be using Hi Jump Kick and Octazooka, but I love me my reckless strong thematic moves.

ALSO, got a big chunk of portraits from Fionordequester and they've been added to every update. They're looking amazing!

Octazooka is one of my favorite Pokemon, so I think it's awesome you're using one!

Now I'm wondering: which Pokemon has appeared in the fewest games? I don't recall remoraid being available outside of GSC and the remakes.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Solumin posted:

Octazooka is one of my favorite Pokemon, so I think it's awesome you're using one!

Now I'm wondering: which Pokemon has appeared in the fewest games? I don't recall remoraid being available outside of GSC and the remakes.

Remoraid is available a lot of hte time. In the main game it is available in: GS (not C), DPt (gotta evolve mantyke!), HGSS, BW2, XY, USUM
Post game: Emerald (Safari Zone), LG, BW1, ORAS

A general rule post gen-4 is that if you can get mantine you can get remoraid

Gen 4-6 really put an effort toward making sure you could get (almost) all the pokemon between games. It's a bit iffy in Gen 5 since dream world shut down, but an effort was made never the less. It's easier to see what Pokemon get in all the time rather than which ones dont.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Well look at that, I was completely wrong! I guess I just don't remember seeing it in most of those games.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Part of me is assuming the developers wanted players to rotate their Pokemon around so that the Shadow Pokemon you capture up to that point get equal coverage before purifying them or some such.

Plus, the Shadow Pokemon are initially locked at their beginning level; moves are the only new things they're getting for a good while. Presumably, Genius Sonority thought that would be a strong enough incentive for your to rotate them around, since you're basically playing a 0 EXP run at that point.

Unfortunately, AFTER purifying the first wave of recruits, the game sort of runs into the same problem every other Pokemon game runs into. That is, the game is designed around you maintaining a full team...when it's way more efficient to just pump all the EXP into one or two buttkickers. Hence, you've got all these unused mons just sitting on the sidelines, and it takes forever to get anywhere with them on their Shadow Gauge :( ...

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Solumin posted:

For a long time Celebi was a rarity even among event Pokemon, a lot of its events were Japan only. There have been some more recent events that rectified this, but if you wanted a Celebi in Gen 3 or 4, you had to be really, really lucky. Mew and Manaphy are similar stories.

The Tyrogue line in general is probably a good qualifier for both "fewest games" as well as "biggest pain in the rear end", as this post mentions:

rannum posted:

Also thank gently caress Hitmontop is male only because otherwise it probably wouldn't be in the game at all and we'd have to deal with evolving this stupid thing for real. I've sent this same Hitmontop to dang near every game after this because evolving Tyrogue is just awful.
Tyrogue is 100% male, so you have no choice but to use a Ditto to get more Tyrogue, you can't breed Tyrogue itself, it's one of the few Gen 2 Pokemon not found in Emerald, and its general availability (I'll show Gen 4 and afterwards to avoid potential spoilers) looks like this:

Most of those are post-game locations. To make it worse, the pages for Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, and Hitmontop are almost entirely the words "Evolve Tyrogue". So yeah I did the same thing rannum did, my living Dex in Bank has a Pokemon all the way from Orre just because that was the easiest way to get a Hitmontop.:v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 7: Duking With Dakim

Daahahah! Treacherous? You didn't really think that a worm like you could win? All you had to do was hand over the TIME FLUTE without making a fuss. It's your own fault for getting hurt. Since you're not cooperating, I don't have any choice but to haul you off to EIN's LAB.

And now you've come to mess with me, the great DAKIM! Don't make me laugh! I'll pound a lesson into your flesh and bones, so you'll never even think of bothering me again!

You ready to face another Admin? Don't kid yourself, you're not ready.

Cipher Admin Battle

Yep, already we're facing a Protect + Earthquake combo. If you don't have ways to really deal with this, especially when his actual Ground types use this move, you're in a lot of trouble.

Metang is the weak link in his team, so it'll go down first if you hit it hard enough. You do having something that can hit a Steel type, right?

Because of Gen 3 mechanics, Marshtomp gets sent out to get hit in the face with a Razor Leaf. It's the simple things in life.

While Magnolia can make short work of Golem, with Earthquake and DoubleEdge, this mon can be a super big problem, especially if your main answers to it get weakened by Earthquake while it protects.

Magnolia can take out both opponents, so Dhalsim will heal him up.

Well this is pretty easy, on to the last two of Dakim's mons.

Shadow Legendaries. We're halfway through this game now, are you prepared to catch them?

This is

REALLY BAD

Entei, 3 catch rate (3%, very low health, Ultra Ball, paralyzed, 4% with Timer Ball at 20+ turns, 7% at 40+ turns), starting moves: Fire Blast, Bite, Leer, Shadow Rush/Sunny Day

There's no Master Balls to help you with this roamer, Entei is a Pokemon that will snap this game's difficulty in half, so long as you can catch it now before it snaps you in half. While it has slightly higher Attack, its SpAtk is nothing to ignore and Fire Blast will destroy any Grass, Bug or Ice types for the rest of the game, no question. Bite is a bit pointless since Fire Blast will do more than a 2x super effective hit and with Sunny Day you can combo with Solarbeam, making a very potent special attacker that will easily clean up the game for you, if you're struggling at certain points. It'll take a while to purify too, so you'll get a lot of mileage from Shadow Rush and it'll really appreciate Return. Those are its only options though, but even with this much, it'll completely wreck. It's not even the best legendary we can get in this game...

Ow. We'll try and recover from this and we'll be fine if Mawuh takes out Camerupt, since we do NOT need it to use Earthquake again. I mean, uh, it's good that Dakim weakened Entei for us, makes our job a little easier.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'VE DONE THIS

I didn't have that many Revives on me and when you're down to your last Pokemon, it becomes very hard to revive something up and switch it in no problem, as the AI picks their moves AFTER you've taken yours, so they're free to target the half weakened mon you've just sent out and faint it again. It's a vicious cycle that can easily lose you a battle, so better to just restart now.

Uh, oh yeah, since we reset against a Shadow Pokemon (even if we never threw a single ball at it), Shadow Pokemon Resets: 2 3

Let's try this again with Dhalsim and Magnolia, since I'll give the really tough fights a go without knowing much about them (aside from what I remember the last time I played) and lead with whatever Pokemon need to level next. The second time around I'll lead properly and know how things go down, so it should be fine!

Uh, most of the time.

This combo is getting old, but I really can't do anything about it, aside from tank with Magnolia.

Poor Marshtomp can't catch a fuckin break.

It can be a real problem though, if it lowers your accuracy with Muddy Water and Mud Slap, or Speed with Mud Shot. Definitely glad I took it out. I've never seen Metang not Earthquake.

There we go! Mawuh can easily outspeed and take out Camerupt, cause it can be a real problem, as we saw, since Entei doesn't have Protect.

Okay, now comes the hard part. According to the one speedrun of this game I saw, apparently the bonus catch rate ends at Sudowoodo, but maybe it lasts longer than that, cause a 4% chance of capture is pretty rough and definitely not the case. After catching a million legendaries at the end of Emerald, I feel like the ones in Orre are a little bit easier to obtain. But we don't have the ~numbers~, just the models!

Alright, we need to weaken it a bit more, another Octazooka is probably a good idea, right?

Oh no wait, now it's only got one more Shadow Rush before it faints. But, really, what are the chances of that?

The game only gets harder from here folks, thank god I savestate when it's only the Shadow mon left. Shadow Pokemon Resets: 3 4

Let's use Mawuh's Psybeam instead and try again.

Okay, the fifth ball, that's pretty good! Again, I'll just pretend it's a 4% chance each time even though it's probably higher and just walk around thinking I'm hot poo poo.

Mt. Battle

I'm pulling out for now. You go to EIN's LAB and help out there.

As you wish, sir!

This isn't over yet. Stronger POKEMON are being made even now. You'd better get serious about training your POKEMON for our next meeting. Daahahah!

Cipher seem to drop a lot of items on the ground. This is far from the last one.

I'm VANDER. I'm an AREA LEADER here at MT. BATTLE.

I'm ANCA and this is THOMAS. We're glad to see you!

This is the TIME FLUTE. I happened to find it while I was on my training trek. It's said that the TIME FLUTE will summon CELEBI, but just once. There must be something about CELEBI that frightens them. They obviously don't want CELEBI to encounter SHADOW POKEMON. But let's not spend any more time here. Let's go back.

B-But... are you certain? May we really have something this precious?

Of course you may. I'd rather have you use that TIME FLUTE than have those crooks take it by force. Use it, and save the SHADOW POKEMON from their sinister plans. By the way, you two seem to have been fighting that gang for a long time. You should come here for training, then. It will toughen you up much, much more. I have to warn you, though. If you come up against me, I won't ease up one bit. I'll be waiting!

Steel Wing is just sitting there after saving Vander for some reason and our team could really use the healing. But now, we can take on Mt. Battle and try and climb the whole thing. It's, uh, kinda worth it, but it's a pretty long challenge that will strengthen your team a fair amount.

As you climb the mountain, you'll get Poke Coupons, which you might recognise from Pokemon Battle Revolution, a game much worse than this one. What kind of prizes can we get from here?

Holy poo poo that's some good stuff, I want allllllll of it! Let's discuss the prizes and how we won't be getting any of them until either the end of the game, or postgame here.

Now that we've defeated Dakim, there's actually a lot that's changed around the region, including stuff I could've done earlier, but decided to do now. Like this trainer, she's someone we can only fight now!

Nice going Dhalsim. Anyway, despite my grumbling of the prizes, I will be climbing up Mt. Battle in the Story mode. However, I won't be using our team, otherwise they'd get loads of exp and become too strong for the main story, which I don't want. So I'll be doing something the developers probably expected you to do in the main story and use all the Shadow Pokemon we've obtained! Or, more specifically, those who've been purified, since that's more fun, including Umbreoff and Plusle! I'll be intercutting that inbetween regular updates, but we'll just continue as normal otherwise.

Dhalsim needs to get evolving fast, since he's too frail to be particularly helpful right now. The bad luck certainly isn't helping.

Best head back to Agate.

Agate Village

Alright we'll go talk to Grandpa. Uh, Rui's grandpa, he's not ours yet. I mean, uh, ever.

So, how goes it? Have you trounced the cretins that raided MT. BATTLE? I expected nothing less of my own grandaughter! And, of course, THOMAS! Hmhm... I see! So VANDER conferred the TIME FLUTE upon you. Then, what are you waiting for? Depart for the RELIC FOREST and summon CELEBI at once. I wonder what will happen. I find it quite exciting.

Good. I'll try to reach you at this number if anything happens. This makes us pen pals! Hohoho. I would be useful if one could summon CELEBI whenever one desired. But that, of course, isn't possible. Luckily, as it is inscribed on the SMALL TABLET, the RELIC in the RELIC FOREST is imbued with CELEBI's power. If a SHADOW POKEMON is ready to throw open its heart's door, you must visit the RELIC.

Well, thanks to you two, things are back to normal at MT. BATTLE. They should resume training there right away. THOMAS, even if it's just once, train at MT. BATTLE. I'm sure it will make you even stronger.

I guess we should use that Time Flute on something. But there's a couple other things first.

After selecting moves I wondered if Swellow had any Flying moves for Dhalsim to worry about. It did! But I won the 50/50 on who the AI would attack, so lucky me!

Soon Mawuh won't need the Exp Share. Sure, he probably doesn't need it now, but this is just quicker.

I have had enough of Dig for a while.

Hoo boy, you're strong. Where do you study? You know, I bet you'd win at the PHENAC STADIUM. I guarantee it!

Do you know about COLOGNE MASSAGES? Yup! All POKEMON love being treated to COLOGNE MASSAGES! POKEMON get very happy if you massage them with different kinds of SCENTS. Actually, I have an extra COLOGNE CASE with me. You can have it.

Oh thank god the final mechanic to do with Shadow Pokemon, now I can talk about the whole system in a Side Notes instead of being weirdly coy about it. Scents are a quick way to purify Pokemon if, like the Day Care, you have money to burn. You won't, so don't, buy healing items and Pokeballs instead.

That's it for Agate Village for now, so let's use this flute thing.

Just use the flute in the Relic Forest and select the Pokemon you want to purify. Bam! Instant purification, no matter how much the Heart Gauge had. However, there's only 3 Time Flutes in the game and you can probably guess where one might be, so pick your purifications wisely.

Alright, next is this place that we heard about from... uh... how do we know the location of this place anyway? Dakim mentioned Ein's Lab, but did we see this as we left Mt. Battle or something? Ah, whatever, time to raid another Cipher base.

Gah! Stop doing that!

Hmm, well we should head to Pyrite station, since there isn't anything we can do here for the moment.

Don't forget this! Gotta stay close to the fence, or you'll walk into the map loading zone and that's no fun.

Pyrite Town

I reckon they're afraid of payback from their organization. Oh, wait, THOMAS, was it? Your P*DA number, please. I'll be in touch with you just as soon as I hear anything.

Good work Johnson, I was worried you were a complete fuckup for a minute. We could've gotten Sherles's number any time after Duking's first email, as that causes a few changes in the world, but we were busy and beating Dakim does more for us anyway. See, I'm justifying stuff I forgot about! If you did get Sherles's number, then he'll send you the email instead.

THOMAS, it's SHERLES. We just apprehended a pair of thugs we believe to be MIROR B.'s underlings. We may be able to lean on them for information. We have them locked up, so hurry over to PYRITE.

I recognise that hair and goggles combination!

Looks like Johnson hosed up. We could've gotten this Jail Key earlier when both Sherles and Johnson were at the windmill station, but you can get it now, so it doesn't matter.

It's just another thing that does with this, that, and everything else you caused! It's all your fault!

Oh no, she dropped the Elevator Key!

There's nothing else in the other cells, Trudly and Folly are still too scared of Miror B. to leave.

But while going to Pyrite Building is important for two reasons, we'll head towards the Colosseum.

Not to fight in it, don't be silly, but because we can fight this guy, after Duking's first email. Though going all the way up here then all the way back down isn't hugely worth it. But it's what I do anyway.

It almost wasn't worth it, but I'm showing every battle we can do at least once!

Now let's head back to Phenac City. Well, after getting some more Pokeballs from Outskirt Stand.

Phenac City

Uhuh, well that was worth coming here...

Oh, I guess you met a new POKEMON or so. Let's update your data. Okay. Here you go. I hope you'll study it carefully.

I'd say a new Pokemon or so is accurate to the amount we've met. Anyway, we've had six Pokemon for quite a while, guess what time it is.

Okay, gotcha! This is making me feel sort of giddy! When you're ready to go, go to the BATTLE AREA in the center, and stand at the left-hand side.

I hope you weren't looking forward to this.

Justy Battle

Oh stop it Dhalsim, they haven't even done anything yet. As you can see, fighting Justy SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS, I hate him so much. Sure, this isn't a fight to use Dhalsim in, but he needs exp dammit!

I hope you weren't doing anything later today, we're gonna be here a while, with the evasion boosts and the Sandstorm damage.

Still, if you can hit, Justy ain't that bad. We could've fought him much earlier, since we can get a full party halfway through Pyrite Town. But he's got some levels, so let's do it now for the cool reward. It makes the whole lovely thing worth it.

And to top it all off, he's even the first trainer in the game to use ITEMS. Did you think something was missing? They're pretty rare in these games, thankfully, since this game can throw enough bullshit at you.

We're missing every now and then, but Dhalsim is still getting stuff done.

Phew, that's a relief, the animations were getting a bit long.

Aww maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

I never want to see Justy again after this. Too bad he's in the next game.

Still at least when we actually hit him, he's not that tough, especially since he doesn't like attacking you much.

And of course there's a Light Screen. Christ.

Okay maybe Octazooka isn't the best move for this fight. TOO LATE NOW!

It's doing piddly damage with Magnitude, but since I can't hit it, it'll wear me down eventually. This is not a fight I feel like I need to heal for.

But when I land this Toxic, it's done, even if I don't hit it.

I then hit it twice immediately after. Neat.

Look at this. My palms are drenched with sweat. There's no shame in this loss! I'm one lucky guy for being a part of this spectacular battle. I'm glad I got the opportunity to battle with you. I want you to have this. Consider it a memento of our battle!

gently caress you, but thanks for the move.

Not hugely potent right now since Dhalsim keeps fainting, but it's a very important move to get no matter the game. Last up on this update is the Phenac Colosseum!

Okay, please enter the STADIUM through the doors to the right or left side. I hope you give it your best effort and go for victory!

We're taking on the Phenac Colosseum now since you need to have no Shadow Pokemon in your party to do so, so the best time to do so is after Agate Village, but nothing's stopping you doing so with just Espeon and Umbreon.

Colosseum Battle

You can do this earlier because there's no evolved Pokemon in this Colosseum, so despite the kinda high level, you can very easily beat this place just using your starters. That would've given Carbuncle way more exp than he needed at that point and given us some TMs we wouldn't have been able to use, so there's really not much to this place now that we're strong with a nearly full team. I'm just doing this for the TMs, the cash prize and the chunk of exp we'll get.

The victory means you have won the $5912 cash prize! And, as a championship prize, you have also won a TM18!

Onto the second set of four fights with our Rain Dance TM. I'm not gonna bother showing anything here, there's nothing to show, none of my Pokemon faint and I nearly knock out everything in two hits. Don't worry, the other Colosseums in this game have more to them, so when we go after Pyrite Colosseum soon enough, I'll be dedicating more time to it.

Mawuh has caught up with the rest of the team, so now we can shelve the Exp Share, I won't be needing it again. Woo Sunny Day, we've already got it.

If you thought the levels and opponents might get more difficult as the challenge went on... it really doesn't. Fight this Colosseum whenever, there's not much to say about it, I can't think of anything interesting that happened and it took 30 mins to do and I don't fancy going through all the footage just in case.

This is a good prize to get, the Giga Drain TM, as it's an option for a lot of Grass types, even if it doesn't do a huge amount of damage. A lot of TMs are locked behind Colosseum challenges, as you can see, which sucks for some of the later ones you can't challenge until the end of the game.

And the last trainer. What a crazy time we had here.

Now this is what we needed. There's four sets for each Colosseum, after that the trainers repeat and you get nothing else for it, so it's infinite exp I guess. Magnolia should probably have Giga Drain, but with team support and Sunny Day helping not just him but other members of the team (later), I think it's the best choice.

Alright, we're about done here, so next time, we're heading back to Pyrite Town to see if we believe in miracles.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 01: Everything To Do With Shadow Pokemon (Colosseum)

Ah, finally, let's talk about a unique mechanic to these games in detail from catching to purifying these adorable murder beasts (even more so!), starting with when the Pokemon is first sent out. Shadow Pokemon act exactly like wild Pokemon, except they're owned by a trainer, so they're randomly generated when they first enter battle, so you'll obtain different Shadow Pokemon between playthroughs. However, it will not be generated again when you encounter it in future, if you weren't able to catch it, so if you know a Shadow Pokemon is pretty good, you can wait until later when you have better catching options. The only thing that changes when you catch a Pokemon is its OT and ID number being changed, so that'll, in turn, change some of its PID.

This creates an interesting event where a Shadow Pokemon can be shiny when you encounter it and then no longer be shiny when you catch it, or vice versa. If it does become shiny when you catch it, it'll stay shiny no matter what, even through purification, so you only have the standard odds of a Pokemon being shiny, you just won't know if it is until you catch it. This glitch was fixed in XD so Shadow Pokemon will never be shiny no matter what. Everything else like ability, nature and IVs are generated and are not affected by the trainer using it, like most trainer Pokemon are. Since you don't find out some of this information until you lower its Heart Gauge, it can be tough getting the right nature or ability for it.

While you have your Shadow Pokemon, there's a fair few things you can't do with it: it won't start pooling experience or EVs until the start of its third gauge, so it can't evolve or learn new moves, it cannot be given Rare Candy, participate in the Phenac or Orre Colosseums, participate in Battle Mode, be given a nickname, be traded or have its moves moved or deleted, so no TMs either. When it is purified, all of this is changed and it'll gain all of its experience, friendship and EVs at once, learning new moves as you go, THEN it will evolve, so anything it could've learned in its evolved form for those levels will not be learned, potentially screwing over some Pokemon. There is no Move Reminder in this game, so you're stuck with the moves you've got.

Next is Hyper Mode and Shadow Rush. There's just the one Shadow move in this game and it's a physical move with 90BP and 100% accuracy that deals recoil equal to 1/16th of the max HP, so a Shadow Pokemon has 16 uses before it will faint and you'll need to retry the capture. Shadow moves have no resistances or immunities, but no type is weak to them and Pokemon are not Shadow type while in this state. When using Shadow Rush, there is a chance the Pokemon will enter Hyper Mode, which means it doesn't attack for a turn, but will give it a big benefit, despite being locked into Shadow Rush. The crit ratio of Shadow Rush increases from the standard 1/16 (6.25%) chance to a 7/8 (87.5%) chance, which is a massive dependable increase, with no change in recoil damage.

Aside from that, no items can be used on it (aside from Scents, which ends Hyper Mode) and choosing a move aside from Shadow Rush makes the Pokemon do a number of things, such a disobeying, attacking a teammate, attacking the opposing trainer, return to its Pokeball, or leave Hyper Mode on its own at the end of the turn. It's easy enough to get out of Hyper Mode, calling it in battle will use up a turn, but is immediate, while using a Scent either in or out of battle will cure it and apply the scents effect. Leaving it in the Day Care will also remove Hyper Mode and you can still heal it by going to healing machines, or being auto-healed inbetween Colosseum battles.

But now that you've caught your Shadow Pokemon, let's get to purifying it. There are a lot of ways to get the Heart Gauge down and some of them are more effective than others, mainly due to how easy it is in game, but are also affected by the Pokemon's Nature. But first, let's detail all the ways you can purify a Shadow Pokemon, starting with the instant Time Flute. There's a lot of Shadow Pokemon in this game and only two Time Flutes are easily obtainable, the third Time Flute has quite an investment behind it, so that's not a lot of choice, since there's around ten Shadow Pokemon that will be a bitch to really purify. Now for the various other ways, here's a few examples of how Nature changes the amount the Heart Gauge decreases:

As you can see, the numbers can vary wildly depending on what you do, each decreasing the gauge by a certain amount until you reach 0. Usually, Shadow Pokemon have less than 10,000 to remove, starting at 3000 then increasing by 1000 as you progress through the game and never going above 7000, though some Pokemon have more than that, such as Sudowoodo with 10,000 and Entei, with 13,000. There are two others with 15,000 and 20,000, so they're probably the best uses for the Time Flute. But of course, it all depends on the nature, which you won't even know until you're 2/5ths of the way done, so it's something that'll steer you towards certain strategies, if you care. Some methods are just easier and cheaper than others. Let's go over them.

The best option is walking your Pokemon, with a reduction occurring every 256 steps, as its pretty easy to do, as there's a lot of walking in this game. Of course this can be gamed with the glitchy cliffs in Agate Village, so if you want the most painless and hands off method, this is the one for you... if you have a bit of time on your hands. Next is sending it out into a battle for the first time, that's usually a good chunk, but it only works once per battle. This is best done in the Colosseums where you'll do four send outs in a short space of time. Then there's calling a Pokemon out of Hyper Mode, which is also a good way to reduce the gauge if you have a turn spare, though high crit Shadow Rush is tempting.

Then there's the Day Care, which can be pricey, but it much more effective than simple walking, since it's also every 256 steps. Once its on the third gauge, it'll get 1 exp for each step you did, though you won't see that until it's purified. Finally, there are the scents that can be bought in Agate Village, with the cheapest scent, the Joy Scent, used as the base value. The Excite Scent has a 2x multiplier, while the Vivid Scent has a 3x multiplier, so buying Vivid Scents is the best gauge reduction for money spent, as its the same price as two Joy Scents. They also increase happiness slightly. Aww. If you have a lot of money, they are the quickest way to reduce the Heart Gauge, especially if the nature boosts it as well. Finally, here's everything that gets unlocked per gauge:

Once the gauge has been depleted, you need to purify it at Relic Forest where it'll get its final move in place of Shadow Rush and gain a Ribbon exclusive to these games and can be traded to a Gen 3 game. That's everything all out in the open and mostly applies to XD as well, though there will be some notable differences. That's for later though.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

For a long time Celebi was a rarity even among event Pokemon, a lot of its events were Japan only. There have been some more recent events that rectified this, but if you wanted a Celebi in Gen 3 or 4, you had to be really, really lucky. Mew and Manaphy are similar stories.

The Tyrogue line in general is probably a good qualifier for both "fewest games" as well as "biggest pain in the rear end", as this post mentions:

Tyrogue is 100% male, so you have no choice but to use a Ditto to get more Tyrogue, you can't breed Tyrogue itself, it's one of the few Gen 2 Pokemon not found in Emerald, and its general availability (I'll show Gen 4 and afterwards to avoid potential spoilers) looks like this:

Most of those are post-game locations. To make it worse, the pages for Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, and Hitmontop are almost entirely the words "Evolve Tyrogue". So yeah I did the same thing rannum did, my living Dex in Bank has a Pokemon all the way from Orre just because that was the easiest way to get a Hitmontop.:v:

I don't think I ever realized Tyroguqe or its family has only been available in the normal game twice. Three times if we count the dream world area that only became available a year after BW1 launched (7 months later in america). BW2's access to that area was locked behind 8 badges.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Feel free to suggest which Pokemon I should use for the first two areas of Mt. Battle and their nicknames. This isn't a vote, I'll just pick whichever I like the most to join Umbreoff and Plusle (who definitely needs a nickname).

And, uh, oh yeah, SHADOW SWEEPSTAKES ARE CLOSED, so the number in your post as of this update being put down is what you've got!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 11, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Goddd Justy. I remember first fighting him and the battle just dragging on forever. It was awful.

also awful: those pokecoupon prices. You'd think they would learn but no, even by PBR the prices were still really bad. The ganlon berry here is 15k. The ganlon berry in PBR is 19200. The "postgame" berries were 38400

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Btw, one interesting thing about the trainer A.I.? It actually gets smarter as the game goes on! At first, they'll use moves randomly, and target Pokemon randomly. They act just like wild Pokemon did in Gen 1.

But as you go on, you start fighting more and more exceptions to the rule. Hunter Geats, for example, has his own special A.I. script; where he'll always use a few stat raising moves on his Mons before actually attacking (hence his thing about wanting his Pokemon to "go wild"). And I believe Reath or Ferma (whoever owns the Mantine) will have Mantine always target whoever it does the most damage to. And their Furret is set up to always do some Defense Curls before attacking.

Then, once you beat the 4th trainer or so of Mt. Battle...all bets are off. No more random A.I. From now on, your opponents will ALWAYS target whoever it can do the highest max damage to. So if you're fighting the final boss, and you've got a LVL 13 Plusle + a LVL 53 Feraligator; he'll be gunning for Plusle from the word go.

Finally, there are the oddballs like Mirakle B. He's specifically set up to ALWAYS attack whichever Mon is in the 2nd slot; no matter what. Going back to the LVL 13 + LVL 53 example; the LVL 13 will NEVER be in danger if it's in the 1st slot!

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Crosspeice posted:

Feel free to suggest which Pokemon I should use for the first two areas of Mt. Battle and their nicknames. This isn't a vote, I'll just pick whichever I like the most to join Umbreoff and Plusle (who definitely needs a nickname).

And, uh, oh yeah, SHADOW SWEEPSTAKES ARE CLOSED, so the number in your post as of this update being put down is what you've got!
For the first two areas, use Entei and Skiploom because you drat well better believe I'm using the Legendary I got barely halfway through the game to stomp the crap out of Mt Battle. As a bonus, Skiploom makes pretty good use of the Sunny Day TM you just got to outspeed everything thanks to Chlorophyll and assist Entei in setting the world on fire.

And yeah there's no way Entei's catch rate is actually 3, battles with that low of a catch rate involve sleep, False Swipe, and like 20 timer balls before you finally catch the Pokemon.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 11, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Double Battle format results in the Cipher Admins being given the most annoying goddamn strategies.

Dakim is arguably the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

rannum posted:

also awful: those pokecoupon prices. You'd think they would learn but no, even by PBR the prices were still really bad. The ganlon berry here is 15k. The ganlon berry in PBR is 19200. The "postgame" berries were 38400
They obviously did that to convince you to buy clothes and hats instead of items, I honestly didn't mind the prices being expensive since they also give you a Magmortar and Electivire for free

• Locked thread