Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I think the Bourdain news is hitting me harder than any celebrity death. Nothing will fill the void he leaves behind.

This and Robin Williams.

I feel like actually crushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

CobiWann posted:

Jason Voorhees is my favorite slasher villain and I've always described him as a "force of nature." He'll leave you alone unless you cross his path at which point he will absolutely gently caress you up.

But the original Halloween is my favorite slasher movie and one of my hands-down favorite movies of all time. I've seen it at least a dozen times. To me Michael Myers is a force of evil. There is no rhyme or reason for what he does in the first movie except kill five people. Jason is motivated by revenge but Michael is just motivated. I like the sequel and will pop it in usually after watching the original, but it's flawed because Michael kind of loses that mystique. Instead of going right for Laurie he clears out an entire hospital first before going for Laurie.

And I agree about all the other movies. I've seen the each of the sequels twice at most, including Zombie's versions which are...well, the first one is OK, the second one is just balls-out crazy. I have seen Season of the Witch more times than I can count however...

Sorry. I love horror movies and I REALLY love slasher flicks (which could explain why I always enjoyed the Big Red Machine Kane). I could talk about them all day.

Yeah Jason is definitely a force of nature.

When I first saw Halloween I thought the ending meant he was like a force of evil, or a ghost (for lack of a better word) always there to haunt those on Halloween, never being able to be rid of. That's how I interpreted the look Dr. Loomis gave at the end of the film.
Obviously "just" making him a man kind of diluted that but it added what I was talking about before. There are really good arguments to be made about making him Laurie's brother and Jamie's uncle bothersome and terrible but it also made him such an efficient killer. Again, he could wait decades (in the case of Laurie and Jamie) but he knew he would get you. I thought that was cool because with Jason there was a "final person" who was never mentioned again (except I guess for the final girl in 1, who gets killed in 2). Michael never really had too many, and I am willing to bet if Donald Pleasance lived longer they would have killed him (the ambiguous ending to 6, as Spikeguy mentioned, may have killed him or it may have just been the curse of the thorn like in the producer's cut). Hell I wouldn't be surprised if 6 didn't suck so bad they would have gotten around to killing Doyle.

All I want from Halloween is Michael stalking, in the shadows, loving with them all. Some good directing that doesn't feel the need to have jump/slash cuts every three seconds and lets a scene play out with him in the background, creeping closer...

And Laurie kicking rear end. H20 kind of had that, and the ending where she beheaded him (better to imagine 8 never happened) was baller but the trope of "I've been preparing for you oh poo poo one thing went wrong and now I'm barely surviving by the skin on my chin" is overdone. I hope Laurie does kick his rear end, taking on her demons.

Rob Zombie's Halloween however bored me to tears to the point I started re-imagining it as a Die Hard movie and yelling quotes at the screen. I've never seen 2 and don't care to.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I think the Bourdain news is hitting me harder than any celebrity death. Nothing will fill the void he leaves behind.

I sobbed like a newborn when Leonard Cohen died (though that was from leukemia, gently caress cancer), and I cried when Chris Cornell killed himself, but this has definitely gotten me teary-eyed multiple times today.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Yeah I feel pretty much the exact same way as when Hunter Thompson died. Today was a bad day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hunter S Thompson dying was a real kick to the gut, yeah. It was odd because it was such a bizarrely "Hunter" way for him to go out though, and he was certainly a guy who lived and died completely on his own terms, but it still hosed with my head.

Re: modern horror - most everything nowadays is filled with jumpscares or dull attempts to make the characters genre-savvy/meta. I don't blame Scream, because it did it in a clever way, but then that got aped to death. I like that movies have shifted away from that somewhat but the jumpscares and lovely make-up effects aren't particularly endearing either.

Ironically (it's both genre-savvy AND uses make-up effects), the scariest "horror" I've seen in recent times is the Teddy Perkins episode of Atlanta. That was like watching The Shining for the first time all over again. Just this visceral sense that what you were seeing was wrong in some way, this permeating sense of unease and disgust that builds and builds till the truly hosed up climax.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 9, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm scared of being scared.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Hunter S Thompson dying was a real kick to the gut, yeah. It was odd because it was such a bizarrely "Hunter" way for him to go out though, and he was certainly a guy who lived and died completely on his own terms, but it still hosed with my head.

Re: modern horror - most everything nowadays is filled with jumpscares or dull attempts to make the characters genre-savvy/meta. I don't blame Scream, because it did it in a clever way, but then that got aped to death. I like that movies have shifted away from that somewhat but the jumpscares and lovely make-up effects aren't particularly endearing either.

Ironically (it's both genre-savvy AND uses make-up effects), the scariest "horror" I've seen in recent times is the Teddy Perkins episode of Atlanta. That was like watching The Shining for the first time all over again. Just this visceral sense that what you were seeing was wrong in some way, this permeating sense of unease and disgust that builds and builds till the truly hosed up climax.

Stay away from most multiplex horror and there's tons of good stuff out there that doesn't use jump scares as a crutch. That being said, both Hereditary and The Endless are loving amazing and are currently in fairly wide release right now. Both deserve your money, IMO

Completely agree on Teddy Perkins though, that's exactly my vibe, horror wise, and is one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2018/06/lakeith-stanfield-had-no-idea-donald-glover-was-teddy-perkins-during-filming

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Does she chop that birds head off or what

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i was real sad when trent reznor died

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I like the original Halloween the best because it focused on being a scary film, and not on "let's see how creative we can get with the gore" like so many of the imitators that followed it. Not that I have anything against gory movies (Carpenter's The Thing and the original Dawn of the Dead are two of my all-time favorite movies), but more often than not slasher flicks just aren't scary.
I just wish the Halloween franchise became a Halloween themed anthology series instead of the "Michael Myers series"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Does she chop that birds head off or what

She sure does. I never watched the trailer going in so it really came out of left field for me. The movie is goddamn great though, and is a career performance from Toni Collette.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

I just wish the Halloween franchise became a Halloween themed anthology series instead of the "Michael Myers series"

That's what Carpenter wanted to do starting with Halloween III: Season of the Witch, but apparently audiences weren't up for it at the time, so they went back to Michael Myers instead.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they're removing the vegas golden knights jersey from the fake statue of liberty tomorrow :(

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There was this Cronenberg horror joint that I absolutely loved. It was the one where they had this Canadian high rise building get hit with a horny zombie virus. Its absolute carnage.

I also really dig those found footage horror stuff. The shakey cam gimmick really ramps my anxiety up(in a good way). That kinda show to imply horrible stuff is happening part of horror really excites me. I like never getting to see what they were "poo poo! what the gently caress was that?" doing all 90 minutes. Blair Witch blew my mind. I didn't know you could make a movie that tense.

Its a shame all those reality TV show ghost hunt shows never learned from the found footage movies on how to present their stuff. Its all so hilariously over produced you never get a good scare.

Which reminds me, there's a netflix horror jam about a reality tv crew that gets stuck in a haunted sanitarium that's kinda FF but its really all the about the well done jump scares.

Oh and finally in my, gently caress you're gonna have to google this stuff yourself picks, there's a kickstarter funded horror flick on Netflix about a lady that has to declare her husband dead because he's been missing forever. Then the next night he shows back up dun dun dunnnnn. It gets real scary batshit from there.

PS I googled this one, YellowBrickRoad, hiking a haunted trail based on an actual scary thing that really happened and its scary and dramatic as gently caress.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

flashy_mcflash posted:

She sure does. I never watched the trailer going in so it really came out of left field for me. The movie is goddamn great though, and is a career performance from Toni Collette.

Dang dude, that’s wild. I have this weird thing where I don’t like horror movies, but I still want to know everything that happens in them.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

coconono posted:

There was this Cronenberg horror joint that I absolutely loved. It was the one where they had this Canadian high rise building get hit with a horny zombie virus. Its absolute carnage. gently caress was that?" doing all 90 minutes. Blair Witch blew my mind. I didn't know you could make a movie that tense.

That was Shivers aka They Came From Within and it is indeed great. Early Cronenberg body horror is some of the best stuff, ever, really. Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome... :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God Videodrome is such a headfuck, I have no idea what was going on (even though it's actually laid out pretty clearly) and I love it all the more for it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

coconono posted:

There was this Cronenberg horror joint that I absolutely loved. It was the one where they had this Canadian high rise building get hit with a horny zombie virus. Its absolute carnage.

I also really dig those found footage horror stuff. The shakey cam gimmick really ramps my anxiety up(in a good way). That kinda show to imply horrible stuff is happening part of horror really excites me. I like never getting to see what they were "poo poo! what the gently caress was that?" doing all 90 minutes. Blair Witch blew my mind. I didn't know you could make a movie that tense.

Its a shame all those reality TV show ghost hunt shows never learned from the found footage movies on how to present their stuff. Its all so hilariously over produced you never get a good scare.

Which reminds me, there's a netflix horror jam about a reality tv crew that gets stuck in a haunted sanitarium that's kinda FF but its really all the about the well done jump scares.

Oh and finally in my, gently caress you're gonna have to google this stuff yourself picks, there's a kickstarter funded horror flick on Netflix about a lady that has to declare her husband dead because he's been missing forever. Then the next night he shows back up dun dun dunnnnn. It gets real scary batshit from there.

PS I googled this one, YellowBrickRoad, hiking a haunted trail based on an actual scary thing that really happened and its scary and dramatic as gently caress.

Grave Encounters 1 and 2 are my favorite found footage movies.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i watched all the cronenberg movies last month & shivers is a highlight of his early stuff for sure.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

My new boss at work actually managed to have dinner with him once upon a time. She said that he was one of very few people she looked up to.

She looked completely miserable. :smith:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I am hungover on whiskey and feel like poo poo. What should I do to not feel like poo poo?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dimebags Brain posted:

I am hungover on whiskey and feel like poo poo. What should I do to not feel like poo poo?
No joke I watch youtube videos that make me cry, it kinda helps for a bit

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Grease, Lots of grease.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That was Shivers aka They Came From Within and it is indeed great. Early Cronenberg body horror is some of the best stuff, ever, really. Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome... :allears:

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God Videodrome is such a headfuck, I have no idea what was going on (even though it's actually laid out pretty clearly) and I love it all the more for it.

Agreed completely, Videodrome's still one of my fav films

In other horror film opinions, I'm real excited for the Suspiria remake/reboot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylmDXfTA8rg

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Dang dude, that’s wild. I have this weird thing where I don’t like horror movies, but I still want to know everything that happens in them.

I think even if you don't like horror, it's worth giving Hereditary a go. It upends a lot of traditional horror tropes and honestly, reading a plot synopsis doesn't do justice to the experience. It's the feel-bad movie of the year, so far.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Caníbal Holocaust

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I saw Upgrade this week and boy is it good

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey did you goons know that Dave Meltzer was the co-host of Video Power back in 1992? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQvbC4MLx0U&t=612s

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I can't watch Dominion until tomorrow and it's taking all of my power to not spoil myself

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dimebags Brain posted:

Have a little weed

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jack Anderson posted:

Grease, Lots of grease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oKPYe53h78 :suicide:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Have a little weed

2nding this one

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

Caníbal Holocaust

also this, everyone go watch cannibal holocaust

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Jackie D posted:

I can't watch Dominion until tomorrow and it's taking all of my power to not spoil myself

I put up a whole bunch of filters on Twitter and literally the first post I saw this morning spoiled the main event, ah well. I knew it was gonna happen cause I can't watch it til Monday but still lol

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

also this, everyone go watch cannibal holocaust

If it's all the same to you guys, I'll skip the movie with scenes of actual animal cruelty, thanks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cannibal Holocaust has an opening theme that's legit one of my favorite pieces of music ever, and that's probably one of the only positives I have to say about it, if not the only positive

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If it's all the same to you guys, I'll skip the movie with scenes of actual animal cruelty, thanks.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Cannibal Holocaust has an opening theme that's legit one of my favorite pieces of music ever, and that's probably one of the only positives I have to say about it, if not the only positive

There is a bit of an interesting bit of trivia surrounding the film, though: Ruggero Deodato, the movie's director, apparently studied at the Bill Watts School of Kayfabe, as he signed most of the actors to contracts that prevented them from appearing or working in any other media for a year after production wrapped, to add to the illusion that the movie was a real "found footage" film. So they basically stayed out of sight for a full year, so nobody could say they saw them in another movie or TV show or whatever.

Then he got arrested for obscenity charges shortly after the film was released...and after viewing the film, the courts added murder to the charges as well, believing they had an actual snuff film on their hands, as some of the deaths depicted in the movie looked a bit too authentic. And since the actors were basically hiding out for a year, supposedly nobody had seen them alive since the film had wrapped. Whoops! :v:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, the other positives were "it wasn't an actual snuff film, so the crew were only Almost imprisoned for life", and "it gave other filmmakers an all-time example of what not to do"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah, the other positives were "it wasn't an actual snuff film, so the crew were only Almost imprisoned for life", and "it gave other filmmakers an all-time example of what not to do"

Also a good exercise in hypocrisy, since Deodato claimed it was a critique of the lengths the media will go to get a controversial story for ratings/sales/etc. ... which he achieved by actually doing a lot of the poo poo in his film that he was supposedly critical of the media doing themselves.