Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

The next door for you will be the Spider Door, yeah, and yes, certain 8 point lores show you the way to it. If you don't know which, just try dropping various lores into the slot and it will tell you when you have the right type but not enough of it..

Thanks, I had it after all! Must have dreamed on it instead of using it on the way. I also had the necessary to move straight on through the next door too, which I can repeat after repairing my instrument, so guess I'll work on these higher level expeditions for a while. I didn't bother repeating the spider door due to the cost involved and already needing that on the regular for my enlightenment obsession. Is there a definite source of scholar: phrygian? i've had this book for ages. or just grind expeditions and I'll find it? Got deep mandaic from an expedition and vak from the peacock door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ayn Randi posted:

Is there a definite source of scholar: phrygian? i've had this book for ages.

Yes, there's at least one tutor: a summon that takes grail and forge.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i saw something about an auction house mentioned a couple places but i havent actually seen it except in the privileged life background. does it show up if im just a moron

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Verviticus posted:

i saw something about an auction house mentioned a couple places but i havent actually seen it except in the privileged life background. does it show up if im just a moron

Keep exploring and you'll find it eventually.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Deep lore speculation:

So the Forge of Days split the sun into two: the sun of the mundane world, and the Glory, the sun in the dream-world? I guess that's the reason for the name, 'Forge of Days', because before the division, there were no nights to divide the days.

I suspect that this division is what allowed for the creation of the Hours, though I've got nothing but a hunch based on the talk of Winter having a doomed romance with the sun - if the splitting of the sun is what allowed for Winter's ascension, that would be rather fitting. It would make Forge and Winter the eldest of the Hours, even older than Wheel and Flint and Tide.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
(Peacock Door discussion)

Beefeater1980 posted:

So despite swearing off it I was drawn back in long enough to get a standard enlightenment victory. It was a bitch getting all the timers together, I nearly lost all my health and died coz I missed seeing the slider, and I forgot how to ascend and had to keep eating my disciples to avoid running out of Reason.

By the end I had most lores at 12, had kicked in all the capital, shire and continent buildings plus 3 from the Land Beyond the Wood and 2 from the place beyond that. Apparently there is a place even beyond that but nobody has that much time. What’s even the point of exploring those regions?

Is there an easier way through the Peacock door? It’s a total PITA repairing the item that gets you access every time.

Kaethela posted:

There's a level 12 Knock tool that gets you in without breaking every time. I cannot remember the name of it, but you should be able to pick it up doing expeditions.

Also, if it helps, there's more than one mirror that gets you into the Door. Conceivably you could be rotating them through Dream and Talk, if you're okay keeping Talk occupied all the time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tehan posted:

Deep lore speculation:

So the Forge of Days split the sun into two: the sun of the mundane world, and the Glory, the sun in the dream-world? I guess that's the reason for the name, 'Forge of Days', because before the division, there were no nights to divide the days.

I suspect that this division is what allowed for the creation of the Hours, though I've got nothing but a hunch based on the talk of Winter having a doomed romance with the sun - if the splitting of the sun is what allowed for Winter's ascension, that would be rather fitting. It would make Forge and Winter the eldest of the Hours, even older than Wheel and Flint and Tide.

It almost feels like Moth has a closer link to night than Winter does.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm on the cusp of a victory and now I'm basically down to grinding without anything actually progression-y to do

I've hit up the peacock door for the 15 lantern influence and I can use that or use it for ascension or to get a 12 lantern summon. i have my 10 lantern followers, and I've got a 10 lore scrap but my best lantern items are a mirror at 8 and a stone at 4, I don't seem to have any rite that will allow me to combine all my highest tier instances of lantern at once so I'm stuck a point or two off 36 with the best I can get. Am I down to basically grind spinatrae to repair my mirror, to then grind peacock door for SH to open expeditions to grind for lantern books/treasures/a better rite to get me over the line now? Menaces are basically a nonissue, can't remember having to worry about notoriety or dread in forever, feeding pawns to my prisoner hunger when i'm on an expedition and havent recruited a hireling but they're otherwise basically useless anyway, and feel like i'm mostly just running out the clock currently

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ayn Randi posted:

I feel like I'm on the cusp of a victory and now I'm basically down to grinding without anything actually progression-y to do

I've hit up the peacock door for the 15 lantern influence and I can use that or use it for ascension or to get a 12 lantern summon. i have my 10 lantern followers, and I've got a 10 lore scrap but my best lantern items are a mirror at 8 and a stone at 4, I don't seem to have any rite that will allow me to combine all my highest tier instances of lantern at once so I'm stuck a point or two off 36 with the best I can get. Am I down to basically grind spinatrae to repair my mirror, to then grind peacock door for SH to open expeditions to grind for lantern books/treasures/a better rite to get me over the line now? Menaces are basically a nonissue, can't remember having to worry about notoriety or dread in forever, feeding pawns to my prisoner hunger when i'm on an expedition and havent recruited a hireling but they're otherwise basically useless anyway, and feel like i'm mostly just running out the clock currently

I'm at basically the same point you are except with Forge instead of Lantern. Just grinding away looking for more Forge lore so I can get to that big 36 goal. My only advice really is to keep plugging away because, for instance, 8 isn't the max for items so if you're a point or two off there then any expedition could theoretically put you over the top.

EDIT: Unrelated but every time a summoned minion fails at destroying evidence it's simultaneously aggravating and hilarious to me. Did the cops arrest my Raw Prophet??? How many pairs of handcuffs did they need???

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Ayn Randi posted:

That part of the game is definitely the weakest part, but there's a rite to combine Influence/Assistant/Lore that you can get from one of the books sold at the auction house.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Incidentally I'm gonna try to get the highest level Secret Histories before going for the victory, so I'll report back what Expedition that gives me

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm at basically the same point you are except with Forge instead of Lantern. Just grinding away looking for more Forge lore so I can get to that big 36 goal. My only advice really is to keep plugging away because, for instance, 8 isn't the max for items so if you're a point or two off there then any expedition could theoretically put you over the top.

EDIT: Unrelated but every time a summoned minion fails at destroying evidence it's simultaneously aggravating and hilarious to me. Did the cops arrest my Raw Prophet??? How many pairs of handcuffs did they need???

It is to be assumed that they called in either the army or the occult resources available to the Suppression Bureau.

By implication the mortals that ended you were all pensioned off afterwards, a more civilised alternative to purging. I like to think they get sent to The Village from The Prisoner.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Ayn Randi posted:

Can't you combine the summon, the influence, and the lore for 37? I could be wrong but I think summons can act as assistants on rituals.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Does anyone else get the thing where level 6 Secret Histories only give you Unnumbered Stones? I've done this Expedition ten times by now.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think each tier has one repeating location, so you may have just done all the other ones in that tier?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Yeah, each tier has three or four regular ones that can only be done once, and one that can be repeated, but has more obstacles and gives less loot.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Ascension process spoiler for massive quality of life improvement: feeding reason to the periodic event doesn't consume reason, it just exhausts it, which should be utterly trivial at that point

I actually get annoyed when I eat a prisoner, because they'd be better used for the Spider Door

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm at a point in the game where the only thing I usually use summons for is destroying evidence, because I can pass any Expedition hazard but I don't want to risk my Moth disciples dealing with evidence.

megane posted:

I think each tier has one repeating location, so you may have just done all the other ones in that tier?

Tehan posted:

Yeah, each tier has three or four regular ones that can only be done once, and one that can be repeated, but has more obstacles and gives less loot.

Oh okay, I hadn't spent enough time on other tiers to realize that.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Also re the lion, boar, bull and donkey ARG stuff, and to show how badly this game affects us all:

“De Leone, alto, tauro et asino” (On the Lion, The Boar, The Bull and the rear end) is the 16th in the first chapter of Aesop’s fables by a Caxton print from the 15th century.

It goes like this (apologies for my translation to any proper scholars):

“When a man has lost his dignity or office
He must give up his initial audacity or hardiness
Fast
So he is not injured and mocked by all
Just as Aesop showed in a similar fable
There was a lion that in his youth was fierce and tore it up Proper Outrageous
Then when he got old
A Wild Boar came up
And TORE HIS poo poo UP like, I’m talking body parts over here, over there, steaming intestines in the trees, generally hanging, in revenge for the lion eating and killing the poo poo out of boars in his youth
Then came the bull, who took one look and then charged him with horns, hurting the lion terribly
Then the donkey got his in and kicked the poor lion right in the head as he was lying there after these last couple of assaults
Then the lion burst into tears and said “When I was young and powerful everyone had some loving respect, they feared me. And now, I’m old and feeble and close to death, ain’t nobody thinks I’m worth a poo poo, y’all calling me weak and useless. And that makes it loving worse.”

AND THEREFORE THIS FABLE WARNS MANY THAT ARE RAISED IN DIGNITY AND DEFERENCE SHOWED TO THEM HOW THEY MUST BE MEEK AND HUMBLE, FOR JOHNNY NO-FRIENDS IS TOTES AT RISK OF THIS”

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

pretty sure that no reasonable scholar would object to your translation

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

Incidentally I'm gonna try to get the highest level Secret Histories before going for the victory, so I'll report back what Expedition that gives me

Assuming the highest SH is 12 I got an 8 knock tool, a 12 knock ingredient, a second lantern mirror and a vek translation book off the one i did
Edit: I think it was 12.. might have been 10 on reflection, vagabonds something

power word- Jeb! posted:

Can't you combine the summon, the influence, and the lore for 37? I could be wrong but I think summons can act as assistants on rituals.

i don't have a rite that will take all 3 of assistant influence and invocation, the assistant one takes tools instead of influences

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Ascension process spoiler for massive quality of life improvement: feeding reason to the periodic event doesn't consume reason, it just exhausts it, which should be utterly trivial at that point

I actually get annoyed when I eat a prisoner, because they'd be better used for the Spider Door

it doesn't consume the stats however it does de-rank you in number of marks if you miss the correct offering, so you'll have to wait to earn them back to 6 before you can ascend when you are ready

Ayn Randi fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 9, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ayn Randi posted:

Assuming the highest SH is 12 I got an 8 knock tool, a 12 knock ingredient, a second lantern mirror and a vek translation book off the one i did
Edit: I think it was 12.. might have been 10 on reflection, vagabonds something

Just like other Lores, it's 14, and after finishing the Expedition I got a thing to teach me Vak, a book, and... something I've never seen before.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Autonomous Monster posted:

On that note: why is Fucine called Fucine? Phrygian and Mandaic are both given their typical names, but as far as I can tell Fucine is usually called Marsian?

According to Alexis Kennedy, it was changed to avoid confusion with the language of little green men from flying saucers.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
My hunter ignored the five chunks of Notoriety on the board to grab the corpse I was going to raise as a zombie to murder them :argh:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
(victory)

Just won myself a Power victory. Feels good. Have to say I expected there to be some kind of check or challenge after I started/finished the Rite (I used the one with a bunch of slots) but nah, you just win. Cool though.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it that was kind of underwhelming?

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 9, 2018

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

(victory)

Just won myself a Power victory. Feels good. Have to say I expected there to be some kind of check or challenge after I started/finished the Rite (I used the one with a bunch of slots) but nah, you just win. Cool though.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it that was kind of underwhelming?

In the save file, the victories currently in the game are referred to as minor victories. There may be greater challenges to come.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tehan posted:

In the save file, the victories currently in the game are referred to as minor victories. There may be greater challenges to come.

I hope so. Also, now I definitely want to figure out how to pass through the Tricuspid Gate.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I hope so. Also, now I definitely want to figure out how to pass through the Tricuspid Gate.

You do pass the gate in the endings we have, it's just that that's the end of the game.

The enlightenment ending feels pretty final, in that the character passes on to a place where the audience can't meaningfully follow. The power ending on the other hand feels like its just a first step towards the actual goal of becoming an hour.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ZeusJupitar posted:

You do pass the gate in the endings we have, it's just that that's the end of the game.

The enlightenment ending feels pretty final, in that the character passes on to a place where the audience can't meaningfully follow. The power ending on the other hand feels like its just a first step towards the actual goal of becoming an hour.

I just mean that there’s an achievement that appears to be for passing through the gate during the game, possibly as part of a Major Victory or something.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
My tentative list of the Hours:

Velvet
Winter, AKA the Sun-in-Rags
Forge-of-Days
Moth
Grail
Meniscate
Madrugad
The Sister-and-Witch
Thunderskin
Elegiast
Mother of Ants
The Colonel

But of course there'd be twelve hours.

I don't think the Watchman is an Hour. I don't know what he is.

The Sun-in-Splendour used to be an Hour, as did Wheel, Flint and Tide. Before the Sun-in-Splendour was sundered, mortals couldn't become hours - they couldn't even access the Mansus. I think some of the current hours predate the sundering, and are therefore not originally human.

Edit: Another thing that's become apparent:

1. Once, mortals could not access the Mansus.
2. Someone/something/many someones or something battered down the Stag Door, and sundered the Sun-in-Splendour.
3. Now everyone who dies, or drat near to it, ends up in the Mansus.

No word on where the souls of the dead were going before this, but... yikes. This implies some really heinous damage to the cosmology of the universe was done.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 9, 2018

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Tehan posted:

This implies some really heinous damage to the cosmology of the universe was done.

Heinous damage done to time? Space? Death? Undeath? Sounds like Fallen Londons world to me.

Another thing to consider is that some of the Hours might have more than one name.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tehan posted:

Exactly four regular and one repeatable. The repeatable is generally harder for worse rewards; I think you're generally better merging those lores than doing the repeatable expeditions.

Ayn Randi posted:

Assuming the highest SH is 12

14, if you credit it. No way to get them but merging 12s, as far as I know :stare:

Ayn Randi posted:

i don't have a rite that will take all 3 of assistant influence and invocation, the assistant one takes tools instead of influences

Oh man, you didn't get the Sunset Rite? It drops from STUMM!, which is guaranteed from the auction house. It takes assistant, invocation and influence, and the influence is what it burns. I never use anything else.

Apparently there's a rite out there that takes a lore, a prisoner, a tool, an ingredient AND an influence (and burns them all), but I've never found it.

Tehan posted:

deepest lore :words:

Mmm. Before you get too deep into this, there's a google doc with a compilation of basically everything the community has pieced together, including lists of Hours, their aspects, origins, a history etc.

Oh, and Weather Factory tweeted a whole bunch of the Hours on tarot cards in the run up to release:

https://twitter.com/factoryweather/status/997899806583422976

They're gorgeous:

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

Exactly four regular and one repeatable. The repeatable is generally harder for worse rewards; I think you're generally better merging those lores than doing the repeatable expeditions.

14, if you credit it. No way to get them but merging 12s, as far as I know :stare:

Oh man, you didn't get the Sunset Rite? It drops from STUMM!, which is guaranteed from the auction house. It takes assistant, invocation and influence, and the influence is what it burns. I never use anything else.

Apparently there's a rite out there that takes a lore, a prisoner, a tool, an ingredient AND an influence (and burns them all), but I've never found it.

Mmm. Before you get too deep into this, there's a google doc with a compilation of basically everything the community has pieced together, including lists of Hours, their aspects, origins, a history etc.

Oh, and Weather Factory tweeted a whole bunch of the Hours on tarot cards in the run up to release:

https://twitter.com/factoryweather/status/997899806583422976

They're gorgeous:

I got stumm! But it tells me I need a projector to use it which I never got :(

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Drop it in study it'll give you another slot for funds

I didn't notice it at first either

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, that and the medicine slot for afflictions confounded me for the longest time.

Here's a tip: if you click an empty slot in a verb, every card on the table that can go in that slot will glow. Also every slot will list what sort of thing it takes, but the glowing is better because you don't need to check every card looking for what aspects they have.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Those Hour cards are fantastic

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
With STUMM! you just add a funds.

I used the rite it gave me to win so uhhhh it seems pretty important.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

With STUMM! you just add a funds.

I used the rite it gave me to win so uhhhh it seems pretty important.

feel free to spoiler but to what verb? nothing highlighted for me but maybe it just was in use at the time, so far it's just been a nothing card for me

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ayn Randi posted:

feel free to spoiler but to what verb? nothing highlighted for me but maybe it just was in use at the time, so far it's just been a nothing card for me

Study. It's just a weird sort of book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Huh. I just learned that A Favor From Authority is not actually a get out of jail free card. Which makes it kinda pointless. For how hard it is to get when you actually need it due to it being a timed card, it having a chance to fail is really annoying.